These Lives Of Ours.

Hold me close and never let go

I rolled down my window and stuck my head partially out. It was nice to feel the cool air against my face. “Having fun Scruffy?” I stuck my tongue out at Ryan. How dare he compare me to a dog. “Just pay attention to the road Brownie.” I leaned back in the seat and turned up the radio.

“Are we there yet?” I asked, imitating an annoying 5 year old. “Actually yes we are.” I sighed in relief as Ryan parked the car. “Good, you got us here in one piece.” He rolled his eyes as we walked in, probably looking a little too young to be food shopping on our own.

“What exactly are we going to buy?” I asked, realizing we had no list or anything. “I have no idea. Food.” “Uh-huh. Well…we have a whole weekend and we are not eating donuts the entire time.” Ryan blushed and took his hand away from the donuts. “Good boy. We need real food. Like bread, fruit…healthy stuff.” I grabbed a cart and we started filling it up with yummy but healthy food for the weekend.

“Holly shit are we gonna have enough money?” I asked as we started to unload it all at the cash. “Of course.” When it was all rung through he handed over a credit card. “What? You’re parents gave you a credit card!!” “Yeah but only for emergencies. Food seems like an emergency to me.” I couldn’t argue with him so I kept my mouth shut.

~~~~ ~~~ ~~~~~

“So…now we have a couple of hours to do whatever.” We were back home, sitting in the living room doing absolutely nothing. Shopping was done, dinner was done, and we were bored. “How about we think of away to prove your dad is abusive so we can get out of here.” I didn’t want to bring it up again but it needed to be dealt with. We may be ok for the weekend, but after that we’re toast. “Well…what do they need for us to be able to prove it?” I thought for a moment. They’d need something…like a photograph. Or…a video! “RYAN!” He jumped up out of his seat. “Holly shit don’t do that!” I grabbed his hand and ran downstairs back to the panic room.

“Why are we in here?” I smacked my forehead. How could he be so blind? “The cameras! They recorded the whole thing. That’s our proof!” Ryan sighed and wrapped his arms around me. Needless to say, I didn’t get it. “What are you doing? Our proof is sitting right there!!” “It’s not Chip. It only plays live stuff it doesn’t record it.” I stepped back and glared at the cameras. He couldn’t be serious. “So that’s it then. We have no proof?” He nodded and I smashed me foot into the wall. “OWW!” Ryan laughed a little and I gave him a glare. “Come on. Let’s just get some sleep.” He lifted me up so I wouldn’t have to walk on my foot and I gladly let him carry me up the stairs and to my room. “Night.” I gave him a quick hug before crawling under the covers.

-----------------------------

I walked into my room and took a good look around. Everything was exactly the same way I left it. A mess and full of my childish stuff. It hurt thinking of all the years I’d missed, but it hurt more thinking of all the years I’d spent here. It was like I couldn’t win, and I didn’t know what I wanted. I think deep down, I wanted my dad to stop being so abusive, that way I could live at home, but still be happy.

I stripped down to my boxers and climbed under the warm covers. They were covered in different super heroes that I used to like when I was really little. I never wanted to give them up because they seemed to be the only thing that I could count on. (Don’t ask…I was 7 when I got them…leave me alone.)

“Ryan?” I turned around and could faintly see Chip standing next to me bed. I knew what she wanted to say so I decided I’d spare her the awkwardness of actually saying it. “Climb in.” She did as she was told and I wrapped my arms around her cold body. “Are you ok?” I whispered. The last time this happened we had just moved into Pete’s and she was…well…scared to sleep on her own. “Yeah…I’m fine.” She mumbled, burying her head in my chest. I knew she was lying but I also knew she’d tell me when she was ready, so for know I just pulled her closer and drifted off to sleep.