These Lives Of Ours.

I won't let him hurt you.

Chip and I were escorted to the back of a police car, the other guy still snapping pictures. I wonder what crazy lies would be in tomorrow papers. But I guess that was the least of our problems. What was going to happen? Would I be sent back with my parents? Where would Chip go? Where could she go is the better question. Maybe she’d get to go back with Pete. He was a good guy. He gave us everything we needed. He took good care of us.

“Chip…don’t worry about a thing ok. You’ll probably be sent back to Pete.” “But what about you! You have a family! You won’t be sent back to Pete!” I nodded sadly. She was right. I might have to face my father again. “I know but…I’ll figure something out.” She lost it then. She started to cry, which was something I rarely saw. “Chip shh! Don’t cry! I told you, it’ll be all right.” She just shook her head. “It won’t be fine. This isn’t a fairy tale. Everything isn’t going to work out.” I sighed and rubber her back, trying my best to calm her down. Luckily this was working a little. “I’ll never leave you Chip.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Alright you two. You’re both going back to your real homes tonight.” What? What real home? Chip doesn’t HAVE a real home! Pete was her home, and as far as I’m concerned, he was my home too. “You’re going back to your parents. You…we have a foster family for you.” Chip nodded her head but I was furious. They couldn’t just do this to us. “You can’t do this! Pete gave us everything we needed! A roof, food, clothes! My dad…he…he…” It was so hard to admit this to the police officer but I knew I had to. “He beats me. I can’t go back to him! Please!” Chip was silent. I was starting to wonder what she was thinking. “We’ll let CPS look into that. Until then you’re back with your dad.” “You can’t separate us!” Chip spoke up. The fear in her eyes was unbearable. “I don’t want to go to the foster family. I want to go with Pete!” The officer started to get frustrated. “Look, this is the law. You have to go.” “NO! I WON’T!”

------------------------------------

I wasn’t going to let them take away the best thing that ever happened to me. “Excuse me?” I stared right into the cop’s eyes. “I said. I’m not going!” He sighed and left the room. Leaving me and Ryan alone to…well…to be really, really scared.

“Ryan what are they gonna do!” I sank back into his arms, not caring that I was crying again. This was seriously scary. “I don’t know, but whatever it is we have to take it.” I nodded and shut my eyes, praying that when I opened them, I’d be curled up with Ryan on Pete’s couch, watching a movie and not having a care in the world.

Of course that didn’t happen and when I opened them the police guy was standing in front of us. “Mr. And Mrs. Ross have agreed to let you stay with them, but that’s the best I can do.” I looked up at Ryan. He was shaking his head, fear in his eyes. “Chip no! It’s horrible there, you’ll be beaten!” I got up and grabbed his hand. “I won’t let you do this alone.” He gave me a grateful smile and we climbed into the back of the police car. Our stuff would be waiting for us at Ryan’s house. However…I wasn’t to excited to get there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We pulled up in front of Ryan’s house and the police guy let us out of the car. Ryan’s parents were waiting at the door and as soon as he saw them he grabbed my hand. “You can still get out of this Chip. Go live with that foster family. They’ll be better for you!” I squeezed his hand lightly and started walking up to the front door. “I’m never going to leave you Ryan.”

“Hello you two!” His mother greeted us with a hug and his father with a handshake. “It’s a pleasure to meet you both. Thank you very much for letting me stay.” I gave them my best fake smile as we were led inside. “So…here’s your room.” I smiled and Ryan’s parents left us alone. I just realized at that moment that I had been holding my breath.

“They seem…nice?” I asked, sitting down on “my” bed. “Wait until dad comes home drunk tomorrow.” Ryan lay down on my bed next to me and we both just stared up at the ceiling. “You know…I’m gonna have to go soon?” I stared at Ryan. I didn’t want to admit it, but I was scared to be living here with him. I’d seen what his dad could do, but I couldn’t bear to leave Ryan alone with him. “I won’t let him touch you I promise. Good night.” He kissed my forehead and walked out of the room.