Desperate, but Not Hopeless

We are the last call & we're so pathetic.

The shop, Blooming Flowers, is empty. Millie is fiddling around with an arrangement of mixed, pastel colored roses, pinks, yellows and lavender. She trims the end of each stem correctly before placing them back down on the counter in front of her.

Calla lilies, need some calla lilies.

Millie heads into the back where all the flowers are delivered fresh on a daily basis, she finds the flowers she’s looking for and returns to the front of the store with a bundle of them in her hands. She places the flowers on the counter and begins to trim off each end like she did previously with the roses.

She looks out the shop window at all the passers by and sighs softly to herself.
She picks up a gift box from under the counter and places a small vase with some water inside of the box. She picks up the bundle Roses and Lilies and begins to arrange them gracefully in the gift box, making them look presentable.


Ribbon, ribbon, where’s the damn ribbon gone?

Millie keeps hold of the arrangement in her free hand while she bends down and looks under the counter for the pale pink and white ribbon to tie the flowers together.

SHIA: Ringing the bell and looking over the counter for some service Excuse me?

Millie hears the bell and automatically goes back up the counter, a little too fast, banging her head in process.

Millie lets go of the flowers she rubs the spot of her forehead and looks over at Shia.


MILLIE: Hello.

Millie’s eyes grow the size of dinner plates as she sees Shia smirking back at her.

MILLIE: Can I help you?

SHIA: Smiling at the fact that Millie's in front on him. I didn’t know you worked here.

MILLIE: Shrugging. There’s a lot of things you don’t know about me.

Shia nods his head and looks around the shop, thinking of something to say.

MILLIE: Was there something you wanted?

Shia looks back at Millie and smiles.

SHIA: Are you okay?

MILLIE: She frowns.You followed me, to find out if I’m okay?

SHIA: Shaking his head. I’m referring to your head, you just banged it on the counter top, it’s looking a little red.

Mille feels her cheeks tinge with color. Rubbing her forehead a little she regains her posture.

MILLIE: I’m fine.

SHIA: Are you sure-

MILLIE: I’m fine, was there something you wanted?

SHIA: I got your note.

MILLIE: Good.

Shia begins to rub the back of his neck, suddenly having a hard time forming words.

SHIA: I didn’t follow you.

MILLIE: Really?

SHIA: Smirking.You just happen to be in the right place and the right time.

MILLIE: More like the wrong place at the wrong time.

SHIA: It’s not my fault you’re drawn to me.

MILLIE: I’d say you were drawn to me, with the way you’re always around me.

SHIA: Laughing. So this is your third job?

Millie nods her head and picks up the flowers she was arranging earlier, having found the ribbon she was looking for she begins to tie it around the stems, keeping them together.

Shia sighs and again looks around at the shop.


SHIA: I want to get some flowers delivered today.

MILLIE: Taking her eyes off the flowers in front of her, she looks back Shia. Someone forgot his girlfriends birthday then?

SHIA: Looking back at Millie, confused. How did you know it's my girlfriends birthday?

MILLIE: Everyone loves Wiki. How much do you want to spend?

SHIA: $20?

MILLIE: That’ll get you about two flowers and the delivery charge.

SHIA: How much then?

MILLIE: No less than $100.

SHIA: How fucking much?!

MILLIE: We’re in 90210 baby.

SHIA: Sighing. Okay.

Millie pushes her finished arrangement to the edge of the counter, leaving it on display, she turns back to Shia.

MILLIE: Okay, what are Flicks favorite flowers?

SHIA: Erm, I don’t know, it’s a girls name.

MILLIE: Oh big help. Lilies, Daisy, Rose, Petunia, Violet, Marigold, Iris, Tulip-

SHIA: Tulip?

MILLIE: Yes, is that the one?

SHIA: No, but who do you know with the name Tulip?

MILLIE: Placing her hands on her hips Just pick a damn flower.

SHIA: That’s no why to talk to a customer.

MILLIE: You’re not a customer, you’re a stalker.

SHIA: Well if you don’t want my service-

MILLIE: Sorry. Now what flowers did you want?

SHIA: I don’t know, roses I guess.

MILLIE: Right, colors?

SHIA: I don’t know.

MILLIE: Sighing. You don’t know much, do you?

SHIA: Smirking. I know what you did last night.

Millie rolls her eyes and attempts to make herself look more busy.

MILLIE: It was a one off, not that it’s any of your business anyway.

SHIA: You looked like you enjoyed yourself.

MILLIE: So you were following me.

SHIA: I didn’t say that.

MILLE: So you make a habit of going into bars like that?

SHIA: Widening his already growing smile. Not unless you're going to make a habit of doing that again.

MILLIE: What gives you the right to judge me? You don’t know me, you know nothing about the life I live and lead.

Shia holds his hands up in the air as defense and back away from the counter slightly.

SHIA: Sorry, I didn’t mean to hit a nerve.

MILLIE: Colors?

SHIA: What?

MILLIE: For the roses, for your girlfriends late birthday present.

SHIA: Oh right, yeah, um, red?

MILLIE: Not much of the romantic type are you?

SHIA: Well you’re a girl you tell me.

MILLIE: Shaking her head. Do you know her favorite colors?

SHIA: Um, pinks, whites and oranges?

MILLIE: You don’t sound too sure.

SHIA: Well I never thought ordering some flowers would be this damn difficult.

MILLIE: Box or wrapped?

Shia looks confused.

MILLIE: The flowers. Would you like them in a gift box? She gestures to the newly arranged flowers she made moments ago. Or wrapped? She points across the room to a wrack of already wrapped flowers to go.

SHIA: Boxed.

MILLIE: Did you just want the flowers or a small gift as well?

SHIA: The flowers cost enough, I’m not paying for a plush teddy she will probably use as a weapon when she doesn’t get her own way.

Millie laughs uneasily.

SHIA: When will they be delivered?

MILLIE: As soon as they are ready, one of the call out be people will do it.

SHIA: Nodding. Urm the address, have you got a pen and paper?

Millie ducks back under the counter and fishes out a piece of paper and a pen, she places it in front of Shia.

Shia quickly writes down the name of Felicity’s friend’s address, knowing she will be there.


SHIA: So is there anything else you need to know?

MILLIE: No that’s fine.

SHIA: Will you be arranging the flowers?

MILLIE: Unless you have a problem with that?

SHIA: None at all.

MILLIE: Here.

Millie, once again heads back under the counter, moments later she hands Shia a card.

MILLIE: Write a message on there and it will be placed within the flowers.

SHIA: Well what do I say?

MILLIE: Frowning You’ve never done this before have you?

Shia ignores Millie’s comment and thinks for a second before scribbling something on the small card. He places the pen back on the counter and slides the card back to Millie.

Millie picks up the card and frowns at the sloppily written message.


MILLIE: That’s it? Reading out the card. "Love Shia."

Shia raises his brow at Millie and then looks back down at the card. Millie picks up another card from under the counter and slides t back to Shia.

SHIA: What else am I suppose to say?

MILLIE: She’s your girlfriend, not your mother, write something a little more meaningful.

SHIA: Like?

MILLIE: Sighing. Like. "To my one and only, happy birthday baby, love you Shia."

SHIA: That’s a little soppy isn’t it?

MILLIE: I said something like that, think something up yourself.

Shia picks up the pen, bends over the counter slightly and begins to write on the new piece of card. Once finished he puts the pen back down from the counter, straightens himself up and slides the card back to Millie.

Millie picks up the card and smiles, she begins to read it out loud.


MILLIE: "Happy birthday, Love you, Shia. Kiss, kiss"?

Millie puts the card back down and nods at Shia approvingly.

MILLIE: That’s better, I guess. It wasn’t so hard, was it?

SHIA: Thanks.

MILLIE: It’s my job. Now that we have the address, the order and the card ready I’ll just need the payment. Shall we say $130 worth?

Shia puts his hands in his back pocket and brings out his wallet.

SHIA: These better be fucking good flowers.

MILLIE: Oh please, it’s not like your short on cash, besides its your girlfriends birthday, it’ll no doubt pay off later.

SHIA: Smirking. Oh believe me it will.

Shia opens up his wallet, pulls out $150 and slaps it on the counter.

SHIA: Keep the change.

Shia walks out, a happy smile on his face. Millie picks up the cash and counts it.

Fucker, I don’t need your charity.

Millie cashes in the cash into the register, she then heads into the back and looks around for the roses, she begins work on her $150 order.

Shia is dressed in black fitting suite, white dress shirt and a black bowtie to finish off the affect. He walks down the red carpet, smiling at the masses of flashing photographers an fans and occasionally stops for a few interviews.

INTERVIEWER: Shia!

Shia stops beside the interviewer and smiles a breathtaking smile.

INTERVIEWER: What was it like working on the set? Make any enemies, friends or love interests?

SHIA: Laughing and shaking his head. I actually already have a fantastic girlfriend. But no, everyone was great to work with, met some amazing people. Some new talented young actors out there.

INTERVIEWER: Any in particular you would recommend to us Shia?

SHIA: Smiling, he looks directly at the camera. Millie Dale. She’s very talented, I loved working with her, and chilling out with her for the few hours the electricity cut out. Laughs. So yes, anybody looking for a very beautiful young lady should definitely leave an audition spot for Millie.

INTERVIEWER: Smiling enthusiastically. Well, I guess we will see all that in the film.

Shia’s jacket pants pocket begins to vibrate, realizing it’s his cell phone he excuses his self from the interview and fishes out his phone. He looks over at the flashing name and beams a smile before answering.

SHIA: I was just talking about you.

MILLIE: Oh really? Saying what exactly? All good I hope.

Shia hears a little giggle from Millie in the background, which causes him to laugh slightly.

SHIA: I was just giving your acting career a little boost.

MILLIE: Oh yeah? How’s the premier going?

SHIA: Not bad, gets a little boring, same old routine. Continuous shouting of my name, calling for interviews and photographs.

Shia plasters a smile on for the photographers he walks pass, still keeping the phone to his ear.

MILLIE: Well suck it up, you are the star after all.

SHIA: You should be here.

MILLIE: laughing. With the little role I had? They’d think of it as a wasted seat.

SHIA: Frowning. Don’t be silly, you’re just as important as I was.

MILLIE: They don’t think so, and I don’t. It was just a small part that happened to pay this months rent.

Feeling the need to change the subject, Shia moves onto something else.

SHIA: My girlfriend loved the flowers, I don’t think I ever thanked you.

MILLIE: No you didn’t. I’m glad she did, money well spent.

SHIA: Laughing lightly. Well thank you. She’s been dropping little hints of how lonely she felt on tour, thinking flowers might brighten up the place.

MILLIE: So you’ll be making a habit out of this?

SHIA: Spending over $100 at a time on flowers? I hope not.

MILLIE: Well you can always go some-

SHIA: No! no, Blooming Flowers will do.

MILLIE: Are you sure?

SHIA: Absolutely.

Millie catches on to what he’s hinting towards and laughs a little into the phone.

MILLIE: Well we open at 10, and don’t forget my morning coffee, and try to remember the sugar this time.

Shia smiles a toothy grin at another camera, as he tried desperately to hold in the laugh and Millie’s comment.

SHIA: I’ll try.

MILLIE: You better, you don’t want to deal with an angry morning Millie again do you?

SHIA: Fuck no, that chick was scary!

MILLIE: Well, you know what to do.

Millie begins to hear voices in the background where Shia is, calling out his name and asking for interviews.

MILLIE: Alright then, I’ll let you get back to your premier, you can tell me all about it tomorrow.

SHIA: Pouting. Aww please don’t.

MILLIE: I’ll see you tomorrow.

Millie giggles a small laugh before she hangs up the phone, leaving Shia to hear the annoying dial tone. He locks his phone and puts it back into his pants pockets.

INTERVIEWER: Shia! Over here Shia!

Sighing, Shia makes his way over to another interviewer, waiting for another few questions to be shot at him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait, would have been done earlier, but my laptop died!
A HUGE thanks to JonasGrl818, for the amazing banner!
Feedback is appreciated! x