Your Guardian Angel

Chapter 13: The Last Dance

It was almost the day that I had come to dread. I had come to the realization that there was nothing I could do to change the minds of my parents. I sighed and looked at the clock: 11:30PM. I never wanted this night to end; I knew the contents of tomorrow would only bring pain and loneliness.

I decided that I wasn’t going to sit here and wallow in misery any longer, so I snuck out of the house. My heart led me to the exact same destination it always does: Jesse’s house. I knew I would wake everyone up if I knocked on the front door, so I threw pebbles at his window until he opened it and realized it was me. A few minutes later, he reappeared at the front door. We decided to take a walk in the park. For me, it was more like a trip down memory lane. I sighed.

“It’s going to be so hard for me to leave here,” I said. “Everything I know is here; I grew up here. Every day when I was little, I would come to this park and swing on the swing set with my sister pushing me.”

“Moving is definitely a hard thing to do; you have to leave all your friends behind and start a whole new life, even if you don’t want to.”

“It figures,” I said, a thought just occurring to me.

“What does?” he asked.

“We haven’t even been going out for a year and already I have to move.”

“Yeah, I know. It sucks.”

I decided to swing on the swings one more time, having Jesse push me.

After that, we went back to Jesse’s house and sat on the porch bench. We both sat there quietly, looking up at the starry sky, each wishing the same thing: that I didn’t have to move. He took my hand and gave it a squeeze.

“We’ll get through this,” he said, “think of it as a test of how much we love each other. It might be a little hard at first, but it will get easier and we will pass it.”

“We better,” I replied. “I don’t know what I will do without you.”

He put his arm around me and I rested my head on his shoulder.

“This isn’t fair,” I stated. “We shouldn’t have to be separated like this. I hate my parents for doing this to us.”

“You don’t mean that.”

“Yes I do!” I cried. “I feel like I am being put through hell and there’s no way out of it. Why did they have to get transported?”

“I don’t know,” Jesse responded, quietly, holding me close.

“I feel like I want to just run away from it all and take you with me.”

“That won’t help anything. Your parents will find you and you will end up moving anyway.”

“I know, but it’s a nice thought, right?”

He laughed.

“Can you do something for me?” he asked.

“Anything.”

“Can you dance with me?”

“But there’s no music.”

“So? We can make our own music. I want to dance with you one more time before you leave.”

He held out his hand and I took it. He put his arms around my waist and I wrapped my arms around his neck. He softly started to sing the first song that popped into his head. I smiled; it was one of my favorite songs and also the song Josh and I shared together.

Late at night, awake and alone
I count the stars in the sky
Every cloud that rolls by
and I think of you, I whisper, I wish
With everything that I am
I'll do all that I can

'Cause baby I, I just want you to see
That baby you mean the whole world to me

[Chorus]
It's so right
When I see the love in your eyes
All that I wanna do
Baby is to spend my life with you
and I know
As long as there is tomorrow
I'll be loving you right from the start
With all my heart

I can't believe what's happened to me
You stepped right out of my dream
Like nothing I'd ever seen
And I will love you...for the rest of my life
'til forever is gone
You'll be the one

Woh-Oh, 'Cause baby I (Baby I, Baby I...) never thought I would say
That baby you (Baby You) are my night and my day

It's so right
When I see the love in your eyes
All that I wanna do
Baby is to spend my life with you
and I know
As long as there is tomorrow
I'll be loving you right from the start
With all my heart

Woh-Oh-Oh, I know I'll be strong (I'll be strong, I'll be strong, baby)
With you in my arms (I want you in my arms)
Heaven brought us here together
We belong like this forever.

It's so right
When I see the love in your eyes
All that I want to do
Baby is to spend my life with you
and I know
As long as there is tomorrow
I'll be loving you right from the start (With all my heart)
It's so right
When I see the love in your eyes
All that I want to do
Baby is to spend my life with you
And I know
As long as there is tomorrow
I'll be loving you right from the start
With all my heart

(With all my heart, With all my heart)
Wo-oh-oh, With all my heart.


When he stopped singing, I couldn’t help but wipe a tear from my eye. It was pretty ironic that he chose this song of all the songs to choose because it was the song I used to dance to with Josh all the time. The only difference was that this time, I knew it was time to say goodbye. I would always remember this dance.
♠ ♠ ♠
What can I say? I had to throw in a little bit of Dream Street.