Your Guardian Angel

Chapter 6: Moving On

When I walked into lunch that day, Jesse was waiting for me just inside the cafeteria. He led me to the table where all my friends were sitting. My eyes followed him as he got into the lunch line.

“You like him, don’t you?” Amanda asked as soon as she saw the way I was looking at him.
“I do not,” I said defensively.
“Yes you do,” stated Natalie. “We all know what that look means, so there’s no use in denying it.”
“Ok, maybe a little,” I admitted. “But, I’m scared to go out with him.”
“Why?” asked Caitlin.
“Because it would be the first time that I date since Josh died. Besides, I don’t even know if he likes me that way.”
“So? It has been over a year since Josh died,” said Natalie. “It’s time for you to get back out there. Josh wouldn’t want you to spend the rest of your life alone.”
“Yeah, and don’t use ‘I don’t know if he likes me in that way’ as an excuse because he definitely likes you,” Amanda added. “He never looks at anyone else the way he looks at you.”
“I hope you guys are right,” I replied.
“Right about what?”

I jumped. Jesse had just walked up behind me. I clutched my chest as if I was about to have a heart attack. He put the tray of food he bought me on the table and pushed it in front of me.

“Don’t do that!” I said breathlessly. “You scared me.”
“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to,” he replied guiltily.
“It’s ok. I’m just a little jumpy.”

While Jesse and I were talking, Amanda, Natalie, and Caitlin were whispering to each other. All of a sudden, all three of them got up and took their trays with them.

“Where are you guys going?” I asked.
“We’re going to move to a different table,” Amanda replied.
“Why?”
“We want to give you some alone time together,” stated Caitlin.”
“You really don’t have to…”
“No, it’s ok,” said Natalie. “We’ll talk to you later, Riley.”
“Ok, bye.”

All three left, leaving Jesse and I alone together at the table.

“Sooo…” said Jesse.
“Sooo…” I said back.
”How has your day been so far?” inquired Jesse.
“Pretty good, yours?” I replied.
“Same.”

Silence. Neither of us knew what to say to the other. I just continued to eat because I didn’t know what else to do. Ok, well may there was one other thing; I couldn’t help but stare at him from the corner of my eye. I noticed that he seemed to be staring at me too, but didn’t realize that I saw him doing it. This went on until the silence was finally broken.

“So, ugh, are you doing anything Friday night?” asked Jesse.
“Nope, not yet,” I said, smiling.
“Do you want to catch a movie or something?”
“I would love to.”
“Awesome,” Jesse said, showing me his pearly whites.
“What movie should we see?” I asked.
“What do you want to see?” he asked.
“I guess I kind of want to see Be Cool. It looks really funny,” I replied.
“Good because I want to see that too.”
“Be Cool it is then!”

RRRRRIIIINNNNNNNGGGGG!!!! That was the bell, signaling that lunch was over. Jesse and I both got up and threw out our lunch trays. While I was walking out of the cafeteria, I felt a hand slip into mine. I turned to the right and saw Jesse smiling at me. I smiled right back and gave his hand a squeeze.

Later, when I got home, I gave myself a good, long look in the mirror. My face looked like it had a lot more color in it than it had that morning. My green eyes were brighter than they have been in a very long time. My skin didn’t look so pale anymore and my long brown hair looked more full of life instead of just hanging loosely off my shoulders. I knew it was time to move on…
♠ ♠ ♠
As you can tell, I started writing this story a really long time ago considering that Be Cool was still in theaters back then. I'm sorry this chapter was so short and another filler, but I promise the next chapter is much better!