Your Guardian Angel

Chapter 7: The Time Of My Life

Friday could not come soon enough. The whole day I was so excited that I could barely keep still. As soon as I got home, I ran upstairs and started getting ready. I went through my closet; nothing seemed good enough to wear tonight. Then, I came across a long, white spaghetti-strapped tank top with straps that tied together. I decided to wear it with a long black sweater with a belt, my favorite pair of jeans, and a pair of black Ugg boots since it was winter. As soon as I was done getting ready, I studied myself in the mirror; I wanted to look perfect for my very first date with Jesse.

Jesse told me he would pick me up around five thirty. It took all the patience I had to wait that long. The sound of the doorbell finally reached my ears so I ran downstairs as fast as I could. When I answered the door, he held out a red rose. He was wearing jeans, a dark blue shirt, and a leather jacket.

“Whoa! You look gorgeous!” he exclaimed.
“Thank you,” I said, smiling at him and taking the rose. “You don’t look so bad yourself.”

He offered me his arm and walked me to his golden BMW convertible (what a gentleman!).

“So, where do you want to go for dinner?” he asked me once we were both in the car.
“Uhm, I don’t know,” I said. “What about going to the Hard Rock Café or someplace like that? I love that place and I haven’t been there in a long time.”
“That sounds like an awesome idea. Come to think of it, neither have I.”

A few minutes later, we arrived at our destination. So much has changed since I had been there last. I barely remembered what the inside looked like. There was one definite change: they now had a dance floor, whereas they didn’t before. I saw an assortment of people dancing and having the time of their lives and I wished I was out there on the dance floor with them.

Surprisingly, we were seated immediately. If you have ever been to the Hard Rock Café, you would know that something like this happens very seldom.

“I can’t even think of the last time I’ve been here,” I said.
“Neither can I, but I think I was really little, maybe like six or seven,” Jesse replied.
“You must have been so cute when you were that age.”
“Nah, I never thought I was ‘cute’ when I was that age.” When he said the word “cute,” he put the first two fingers of each hand up in the air like quote marks.
“Why not?”
“In my school, at that age, all the girls already started having premature crushes and no one had a crush on me, so I thought I was ugly.”
“Aaawww you poor baby,” I teased and gave him a pat on the head.
“Shut up!” he said, laughing and brushing my hand off his head. “What about you? I’m sure you had all the little boys pining over you even then.”
“Unfortunately not. You see, I was too shy and none of the boys liked that. They all thought I had cooties and I was weird. Luckily, that stage of my life is over.”
“I find all that hard to believe. I see so many guys who can’t keep their eyes off you because you are so beautiful. At least some of that beauty must have shown back then.”
“You are so sweet,” I said, blushing. “But, unfortunately, I wasn’t really accepted until Junior High.”

The waiter arrived to take our order. I ordered a cheeseburger and fries with a Root Bear to drink; Jesse ordered a Philly Cheese Stake with a Red Bull to drink.

“Hey, do you want to dance?” Jesse asked me.
“I thought you would never ask!”

I took his hand and let him lead me to the dance floor.

The song “Rumors” by Lindsay Lohan came on as soon as we hit the dance floor. I started to move my body to the music and feeling the heat of it all. I was having a great time already.

“You’re an awesome dancer,” Jesse complimented me.
“Thank you! You know, you’re not so bad yourself.”

After that, “I’ll Be” by Edwin McCain started to play. Jesse took me in his arms and wrapped his hands around my waist. I put my hands around his neck. We started moving slowly to the music. He whispered the words of the song in my ear and I was vaguely reminded of Josh.

The strands in your eyes that color them wonderful
Stop me and steal my breath
Emeralds from mountains thrust towards the sky
Never revealing their depth

Tell me that we belong together
Dress it up with the trappings of love
I'll be captivated, I'll hang from your lips
Instead of the gallows of heartache that hang from above

I'll be your cryin' shoulder
I’ll be with the trappings of love
I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your life

Rain falls angry on the tin roof
As we lie awake in my bed
You're my survival, you're my living proof
My love is alive and not dead

Tell me that we belong together
Dress it up with the trappings of love
I'll be captivated, I'll hang from your lips
Instead of the gallows of heartache that hang from above

I'll be your cryin' shoulder
I’ll be with the trappings of love
I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your life

I've dropped out, burned up, fought my way back from the dead
Tuned in, turned on, remembered the things you said

I'll be your cryin' shoulder
I’ll be with the trappings of love
I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your life

I'll be your cryin' shoulder
I’ll be with the trappings of love
I'll be better when I’m older
I'll be the greatest fan of you life

The greatest fan of your life


I felt tears welling up in my eyes. I couldn’t say whether my tears were from the happiness of being with Jesse and hearing his beautiful voice in my ear or from the sadness and pain from the loss of my first love. In all honesty, it was a little bit of both. Luckily, Jesse didn’t see me cry.

After the song was over, we went back to the table because our dinner was ready. Neither of us said anything during dinner because we didn’t need to use words to express our feelings. I could feel what he was feeling and somehow I knew that he could also feel what I was feeling; we were both really happy to be together. We felt a passion for each other that was unexplainable.

When we were finished eating, it was almost time for the movie, so we left immediately. While we were watching the movie, he put his arm around me and I cuddled closer to him; I had never felt warmer in my whole life, on the inside or the outside.

It was about twelve o’clock in the morning when the movie finally finished. Jesse and I have never laughed that much in our lives. All the way back to my house, we could not stop talking about the movie.

Finally, the time came where we reached the driveway of my baby blue colonial style house. We both got out of the car and he walked me to the front door.

“Thank you so much for taking me out tonight,” I said, smiling at him. “I had the time of my life.”
“I loved going out with you tonight. There’s no other girl that I would have rather been with tonight but you.”

We both showed each other the biggest smiles possible. Then, he leaned in slightly and we shared our first kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
"I'll Be" is definitely one of my favorite love songs.