Cracker Jack

Chapter 6

Jack and I were just lighting up a cigarette after school when Bobby's car pulled up in front of us. The window was rolled down, and I wondered if he ever drove with it done up. Maybe the heat was busted in the old rusted-up car, so it didn't matter anyway.

"Put that shit out, Jackie," Bobby commanded. "I don't want you smoking in my car."

I snorted. "Yeah, she's such a beauty. You wouldn't want to lower the resale value."

Bobby narrowed his eyes at me before turning back to Jack. "Seriously, let's go. Ma wants us to meet her at Jerry's for dinner tonight."

"Do I have to?" Jack blew out a cloud of smoke. "I kind of felt like just hanging out at home tonight."

"You don't have a choice. Now get in before I leave and Jerry has to come pick you up. Or that girl of his. Something tells me that she wouldn't like it very much if she had to run all over the slums of Detroit looking for you."

"Who cares what she thinks of me?"

"Get in the fucking car, Jack!"

Jack smirked at me. "You coming by later?"

I shrugged. "Call me, and we'll figure something out."

As Jack tossed his cigarette away and climbed into the passenger seat, I could hear Bobby grumbling.

"Are you nailing her? I mean, why else would you want to hang out with her?"

"She's just a friend, Bobby." Jack's cheeks were flushing. He knew I could hear him.

"What are you, a fairy? Come on, she's alright looking."

The rest of the conversation was drowned out as Bobby sped off. I couldn't stop myself from hoping that he would get pulled over for speeding in a school zone. It wouldn't happen, though. The cops didn't waste much time in these areas. We weren't worth the effort. I sighed heavily and began trudging down the sidewalk in the direction of my house.

As I did everyday, I went straight to my room when I got home. I heard my mother say something to me, but I ignored her completely and continued on my way to my bedroom. I lay on my bed and turned on my radio, trying to drown out any thoughts that might make their way into my mind. I lost track of time and fell asleep at one point, only to be awakened by Mom throwing open my door. I sat bolt upright, trying to figure out what was going on.

"The phone's for you," Mom announced before disappearing from view.

I stretched out the kinks in my muscles and hurried downstairs to grab the telephone. "Hello?" I answered it, somewhat out of breath.

"Hayley? Is everything okay?"

I couldn't stop the smile that spread across my face as I heard Jack's voice. "Everything's fine. How was dinner?"

"So incredibly awkward. Bobby and Jerry were okay, but Camille just kept glaring at me and Bobby the whole time. I don't get what I did wrong, but it seems like I pissed her off somehow."

I laughed at the child-like confusion in his voice. "I think it was about Jerry, not you. She just doesn't want him to fall back into his old ways. And with Bobby back in town, and you showing up, she just thinks that there's a chance that he'll relapse."

"I'm hoping that there's more than a chance. From what Bobby's told me, it sounds like Jerry was a lot of fun before he straightened out."

"You're going to try and lure him over to the dark side?"

"That's the plan. But it's not going very well so far. Everyone told me that if I do anything stupid, I'll get grounded. I've never been grounded before. The whole concept is foreign to me. What is involved in getting grounded, exactly?"

"I guess it varies with every parent. I remember once when Angel got grounded, though. Evelyn dropped him off and picked him up from school everyday, and other than that he never left the house." I told him.

"Well that sucks. Maybe I should reconsider this and get sneakier."

I giggled. "Yeah, good idea. So what's the plan for tonight?"

"I think Evelyn is turning in early, and Bobby's going out. Want to hang out here?"

"Sure. I'll be there in a bit, okay?"

"Yeah, see you soon."

I put the phone back down on the receiver and turned to grab my jacket. When I whipped around to dart out the front door, I found that I was facing my mother, who was using herself as a barricade.

"Where are you going?"

"What does it matter?" I countered, folding my arms defiantly across my chest. "I'll be home at a decent hour."

"Who was the boy on the phone?"

"Jack. I told you about him before."

"Jack Mercer?" Her voice dripped with distaste.

"Yeah. So what?"

"I had coffee with Evelyn today. I was a bit disturbed when she was the one to tell me that you've been hanging out with her latest charity case. And, speaking of charity, you've been eating at her house? I didn't raise you to take handouts, Hayley."

"You hardly raised me at all," I shot back, acid spewing from my tone. "And Jack isn't like the other Mercer boys. He's not a charity case. He's got a shot at being somewhat normal. His last name shouldn't affect your judgement of him."

"Don't get snippy with me, young lady. I raised you the best that I could."

"So that's why you predict that I'm going to wind up in jail?"

"You will if you keep hanging out with kids like the Mercers."

"You don't know anything about this. Don't pretend that you do," I pushed past her and wrenched the door open. A cold gust of wind blew in and made me inhale sharply, but I ignored the chill that swept through me.

"Keep this up, and you'll wind up with your brother," she snapped.

I paused, slowly revolving on the spot to face her again. "What about him? Where is he?"

She quickly pulled her facial expression into a calm composure. "Never mind. Just leave, like you always do."

"Fine," I snarled, slamming the door as hard as I possibly could.

Jack was sitting on the front step when I walked up. I raised an eyebrow.

"Evelyn lets you outside once she's gone to bed?"

He shrugged. "She's in bed. How's she going to stop me?"

"Good point." I followed him inside. As soon as the door closed behind me, I felt warmth begin to seep through my skin. I had only been here a few times, but already this place felt more like home than my own house did. No matter what, I always felt welcome.

The main floor of the house was dark and quiet. I expected Jack to head toward the couch, but instead he led the way upstairs toward his bedroom. It was just down the hall from Evelyn's room, so we both tried to keep as quiet as possible as we crept toward his open door.

"I seem to find myself in here a lot these days," I murmured in a low voice as Jack flipped on the lights and closed the door behind us.

Jack grinned at me. "It's not the worst place you could wind up, is it?"

"Not at all. I kind of like it. It's better than my room by far."

"How come I've never been to your place?" He asked suddenly, cocking his head to one side.

I looked down, staring at the old, shag carpet. "I don't really want to put you through that."

"Right, because I'm sure this is so much better," he rolled his eyes.

"Trust me, it is."

There was a soft knock at the door. "Jack?" Evelyn's soft voice was muffled by the door.

Jack's eyes widened as he stared at me. "Hide," he hissed.

"What?"

He pointed to the closet. "I didn't exactly ask her if you could come over."

"I don't fucking believe this," I shook my head, slipping into his closet regardless.

"Yeah?" Jack called out, finally replying to Evelyn's disembodied voice.

I heard the door creak open. "I've been meaning to talk to you for a few days. I didn't really want to do it while Bobby could overhear. Do you have a minute?"