‹ Prequel: Surrender Your Heart

If I Only Had the Heart

10

Saying she was freaking out would be an understatement. But Kylie was freaking out. She shouldn’t have been, but she was. She had bought a dress the other day she was confident in and loved, but the fact that she was going to have to sit tonight for x-amount of hours and be pleasant to Matt made everything less appealing.

She took a deep breath as she brushed her hair once again while she was waiting for Alex and the guy’s to arrive. As she was gliding the brush through her pin straight hair for the fiftieth time, there was a knock on her door. “Coming!” she said as she set her brush down on the counter and grabbed her purse.

“Why am I doing this?” she asked Alex as she put on her black peacoat.

“Because Audrey asked you too, and we love Audrey.”

“We hate Matt though. So why am I doing this?”

Alex laughed and put his arm over her shoulder and pulled her close as they ventured out into the cold. “You don’t hate Matt, Ky and again, we love Audrey and don’t want to let her down. You can survive a few hours at a dinner can’t you?”

Kylie mumbled a no that Alex neglected to hear. “You climb in the front seat with me,” he told her as he hopped in the driver’s seat.

She obliged and got in. She said hello to the guys who were all dressed up in black pants, white shirts, and an assortment of ties and vests. “Ready?” Alex asked her.

She sighed, but nodded. “I guess so,” she told him and then they were off.

The first half of the car ride was relatively quiet for Kylie. She didn’t really talk to the guys because she was too busy thinking about what tonight was going to hold for her. Alex finally directed a question at her that she couldn’t ignore. “What are you thinking about, Ky?”

She shrugged.

“Matt?”

“No, Alex. I’m thinking about what’s going to happen tonight. I’ve come a long way; I don’t want tonight to be a relapse.”

Alex chuckled lightly. “You won’t relapse, whatever the hell that means. You’re strong, Ky. You’ll be okay.”

She rolled her eyes and continued to stare out the window. She hoped to God he was right, though, even if she wasn’t sure she believed him.

***

When they finally arrived at the fancy location where the engagement party was going to be held, Kylie stared in awe. “Where are we?” she asked the guys. Wherever they were, it was gorgeous. There was a beautiful fountain out in front, lit up by small spot lights. The exterior was covered in ivy and several potted plants. Kylie couldn’t believe her eyes.

“It’s a fancy banquet hall thing,” Jack answered.

“Come on,” Alex said, pulling her hand gently. “It’s freezing out here.”

The five of them ventured inside. It wasn’t hard to find the party. Almost immediately, they were spotted by Audrey. “Kylie! Guys!” she exclaimed, rushing over to them. She hugged each guy individually and then squeezed Kylie tightly. “I’m so glad you came!” she said to the blonde.

“Did you really think I wouldn’t come?”

Audrey laughed. “Not with these guys bringing you. I demanded they get you here one way or another.” She smiled at the boys she had grown to know as her brothers. “Which, by the way, thanks for getting her here, guys.”

Alex laughed. “Anything for you, Audrey. Now where’s the alcohol?”

The brunette laughed and pointed the boys in the direction of it. They left, leaving the two girls to talk. “He’s not here yet,” Audrey told her when she noticed Kylie looking around.

“Oh, why?”

“Went out to go get something he forgot at home or something, I don’t know,” Audrey smiled. “Look, I really appreciate you being here and you being in my wedding. It means a lot.”

Kylie smiled. “I know it does. That’s why I’m doing it.”

The two girls talked for a little while longer before Audrey warned Kylie that he was back. “Don’t look now, but he just walked in and he’s coming towards us.”

Kylie rolled her eyes. Just what I need, she thought. “I’m going to go get a drink.”

“No you aren’t,” Audrey said, grabbing her arm. “You’re not going to just run away from him all the time.”

Finally, Matt reached the two of them. “Here, Aud,” he said, handing his sister a small object. “I have no fucking clue why you made me run back home to get this little dog figurine mom gave you when you were five, but here it is. I hope you’re happy, because this stupid thing was a bitch to find.”

Audrey smiled while Kylie laughed lightly. She was going to have to thank Audrey for this later. “Thanks brother of mine.”

Matt laughed and then said, “Whatever. Hey Ky,” he said, finally acknowledging the blonde.

She smiled politely and said hello.

Matt tried to ignore how gorgeous she looked in her new dress, but he couldn’t do it. “You look beautiful,” he said.

She blushed and said thank you quickly before rushing off to get a drink.

“Fuck,” he mumbled, causing his sister to laugh.

“You two are so goddamn obvious, it’s ridiculous.”

Before Matt could question her, she walked away. He sighed. It was going to be a long night.

***

The dinner went smoothly, for the most part. Kylie had to make a speech up in less than five minutes, but she thought she did rather well. The worst part of the evening was when she was told she had to sit next to Matt. She did well though, only offering him pleasant small talk when she absolutely had to.

When the dinner wrapped up, the DJ started playing music. All the little kids ran out and started dancing and all the old couples did too. Audrey and Brian went out and danced, having the time of their life, while everyone else slowly drifted off into pairs. Kylie sighed and walked off to the side. She went through a door that brought her out onto a patio. She took a seat on a chair and looked up at the stars. She saw a shooting star and made a wish before she heard the doors open behind her. She turned to look and saw Matt.

“Aren’t you cold?” he said when he noticed her.

She shrugged. “I guess so, but I’m fine.”

“Here,” he said, offering her a jacket.

“Whose is this?”

“Mine,” he said, handing it over.

“I’m fine, Matt.”

“Don’t be stupid, Kylie.”

She rolled her eyes at his stubbornness, but took the jacket. “Thanks, but I think I’m going back inside.”

“It’s a slow dance, so I doubt you want to do that. Unless you have a secret dance partner stored away somewhere.”

“Yeah Matt. I like keeping a mini man in my pocket who grows to a six foot tall dancer whenever I need him.”

“No need for sarcasm, Ky.”

She huffed and crossed her arms in front of her chest. “Ok, sorry. But I am cold now, so I’m going back inside.”

“Alright,” he said. “After you.” He followed her in and the two of them took seats back at their table. Kylie watched longingly at all the couples dancing while Matt watched her. “Dance with me,” he said finally, knowing it would please her immensely. She loved to dance, and she would give anything to go out there, even if it was with her ex.

“I don’t know…”

“It’s just a dance, Ky. Nothing more.”

She hesitated, but agreed. “Alright, fine. Let’s go.”

Matt grabbed her hand and led her out onto the floor. He put his arms around her waist while she put hers around his neck. The slow song switched almost seamlessly to another slow one and everyone continued dancing. It didn’t take long for Kylie to become completely comfortable with Matt again. She laid her head on his chest and continued swaying to the music. Matt sighed and rested his chin on her head. “I’m sorry, Kylie,” was all he said.

“Not now Matt.”

He just nodded and the two continued dancing.

From across the room, Audrey smiled in victory. “I win,” she whispered to her fiancé, who laughed upon seeing who she was talking about.

“I thought I told you not to get involved, Aud.”

She shrugged. “You did, but he’s my brother and they’re obviously still in love. I had to butt in, just this once.”

“Yeah, just this once is going to turn into every time you turn around. You should just stay out of it. If they’re meant to be, they will be.”

Audrey pouted, but didn’t say anything. She was determined to get Matt and Kylie back together if it was the last thing she did.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, we're just going to skip the whole "I suck" rant. We all know that by now.
School's started though. I
m afraid updates are going to be hard to do. I'm not putting this on hiatus or anything, I'm just warning you guys.
I just want to finish this story. I have an idea for the end, and yeah.
Anyways. I'm sorry for my suck-ish updating skills.
I love you guys to the moon and back for sticking with this story.
<333