Love and Conspiracy

Starry Nights, City Lights.

As the following hour passed, we continued to talk about our lives. The sun finally went down and the stars started to shine. In the distance you could see lights sparkling throughout the city. By then, we were lying down on the hood of his car, looking up into the sky.

“Can I tell you something?” I said, turning my head so I was looking at him.

“Shoot,” he said as he continued looking up.

“Today, when Scott confronted me…” I paused, “Any other day, I would have fallen into his tricks again,” I continued, “but for some reason, I feel as if you’re why I stood up to him.” He finally looked over at me.

“Why’s that?” he questioned, obviously interested. I hesitated.

“I know it’s only been a couple of days, but hanging out with you has shown me how to be happy again. I realized that I don’t need him anymore and I can finally move on… I want to thank you for that; for being a real friend,” I said with a smile.

“Well, I’m glad I could be of your assistance,” he joked. I let out a small laugh.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do once you leave,” I mumbled, looking back up at the sky. He was silent, but I could sense him still looking at me.

“You could always come with us,” he suggested in a small voice. I turned to look at him again.

“Seriously?” I asked.

“Yeah, why not?” he asked. I had never considered moving just because I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else; however, I had never been offered to live somewhere else, either. I thought about it for quite some time. I didn’t have anything to lose considering I had no friends, let alone any family that I was close to, so what did I have to lose?

“What do you think?” he asked, interrupting my thoughts.

“I don’t know what I think,” I answered in a whisper, letting my eyes drift away again. We stayed quiet for a few minutes.

“What does your heart tell you to do?” he asked with a serious tone. I remained speechless as I stared into his blue eyes, getting lost in them as I had many other times. After what seemed like ages, he broke the silence again.

“Luce?” he asked carefully. Without giving myself time to process what I was about to do, I inched closer to him as I gently pressed my lips against his. I slowly pulled away a moment later.

“I’m sorry,” I said, realizing what I had just done, “I’m so stupid.”

Before I could say anymore, he put his hand on my face and kissed me back. A tingling sensation ran through my body as we separated again. After looking at each other for a few moments, I couldn’t wait any longer. I grabbed his face and kissed him once more. This time he wrapped his arms around me as we began to make out. Once a few minutes had passed, he rolled onto his back, pulling me along so I was on top of him. All the stress that was bottled up inside of me quickly melted away as it was replaced with exhilaration.

~~~

After quite some time of exploring each other’s mouths, our lips finally separated. My eyes slowly opened to meet him smiling at me.

“Wow, I wasn’t expecting that,” he said in amazement. I lightly laughed as I rolled next to him.

“Yeah… sorry about that,” I said.

“Oh, no! Don’t be sorry; you did what I didn’t have the balls to do,” he said with a laugh. As I laughed with him, I put my head on his chest. He wrapped an arm around me and we
began to look at the stars again.

“Would you mind having a new roommate for awhile?” I asked, looking up at him. A grin spread across his face.

“Not at all,” he said sincerely.

“Well, I guess I’m starting a new life tomorrow then,” I said, smiling back at him. I sighed with happiness and put my head back on his chest. Before I knew it, my eyes closed and I dozed off.

~~~

It must’ve been hours that we laid there asleep, because by the time I woke up again, birds were starting to chirp and the sun was beginning to rise in the distance. I sat up a little and looked around, causing Mike to stir next to me.

“What time is it?” he grumbled, rubbing his eyes.

“Five, I would guess,” I said as I fully sat up. After a few minutes, he also sat up and stretched.

“Let’s go get some coffee,” he said, sliding off the car and walking back to the driver’s seat. I immediately followed him, wanting coffee just as badly. We pulled into the first gas station we found.

“Can we stop by my house after this? I want to get my stuff before my dad wakes up,” I said. He nodded his head as he took a sip of his coffee.

“Of course,” he said with a smile. After he paid the cashier, we were on our way.

~~~

Once we pulled up to my house, I remained motionless in the passenger seat. Mike reached over to grab my hand.

“Are you sure this is what you want to do?” he asked. I looked up at him.

“I’ve never wanted anything more,” I said as I smiled at him.

“What about your mom? Won’t she be worried if you just disappear?” he said with a concerned look on his face. I bit my lip.

“She’ll know that it’s best for me,” I faked a smile, “I’ll be back in a few minutes,” I said as I squeezed his hand before getting out of the car. I took a deep breath and walked up to the house.

~~~

Luckily, Greg was in his room sound asleep when I got inside. I hurried to pull out the biggest suitcase I had and started filling it with all my clothes. I grabbed my glass jar that held all my money and threw it in the bag, too. Once that was packed, I looked around the room to see what else I needed. Everything my eyes landed on had some sort of memory attached to it and that was the last thing I wanted. It was a new start for me and I was going to leave everything in the past.

I quickly grabbed my lucky crystal necklace that my mom gave me when I was twelve, along with my favorite picture of her. After that, I knew I had everything that I needed. However, before leaving, I had one last thing I wanted to do. I grabbed a permanent marker and went up to the fridge. I scribbled in big letters on the door, “Have a nice life, Greg.” With that, I was ready to leave the god-forsaken place.

I quietly closed the front door behind me and ran back to the car with my suitcase in hand. Once I put it in the trunk, I got back in the front seat. Mike smiled.

“You ready?” he asked. I nodded my head.

“Let’s do this,” I said. He pulled away from my house as I took one last look at it; not feeling the slightest bit of remorse.