Break This Awkward Silence

We light our rails and punch our time

Alex stood under the steaming water of her shower and replayed the events at Val’s over in her head. She still couldn’t believe she almost had sex with Brian and in a bathroom of all places, classy stuff.

Shutting off the water she wrapped a towel around herself and walked into the bedroom. All she wanted to do today was pick up Gracie and spend the day with her, she wanted to get as far away from what almost happened last night as possible.

She threw on a pair of denim shorts and a blue tank top with dinosaurs on it that she knew Gracie liked. Tossing her hair into a loose bun behind her right ear she grabbed her purse and car keys and headed out the door.

The journey to Brian’s parent’s house took around forty minutes and it took Alex all she had to keep from going over the speed limit, she missed her little girl.

She knocked on the door before she pushed it open and entered the comfortable home.

“Hello?” she called into the hallway.

“Mommy!” Gracie ran out of the living room and opened her arms to Alex.

She picked her up and wrapped her arms around her tightly, “Mommy missed you sweetie. Did you have a good time with Grandma and Grandpa?”

Alex listened to Grace as she told her about what she did last night as she carried her into the living room where Brian’s parents were.

“Oh, look who’s here Brian. It’s such a busy house this morning,” Mary, Brian’s mom, smiled at Alex.

“Hey Mary. Thanks for looking after her last night. Was everything okay?”

“Of course, she was an angel as always. Brian come and say hello!” she called behind her into the kitchen.

Alex set Gracie down on the floor and straightened up expecting to see Papa Gates.

“Hey Alex.”

Instead her eyes met Brian Haner Jr’s.

comments = ♥