Don't Stop Believing

The Meeting

Hailey Abigail Spalding was an average seventeen year old girl. She was born and raised in a small town known as Bakersfield. She had had long brown hair with natural blonde highlights. She had hazel eyes and the soul of a true musician. She was dressed in simple jeans and a white shirt with a blue peace sign. Black converse and a black messenger bag finished her outfit.

She set out one night to find something. She didn’t know what it would be, but she could feel that tonight would be the night she would find something. These trips were normal to her, but tonight she had the feeling.

Hailey walked to the local train station. It was five minutes to midnight and she was taking the midnight train. When the man at the ticket counter asked where she wanted to go she told him anywhere as long as she could get back to Bakersfield. She stood there at the platform waiting as the warm summer breezes passed by. The train then pulled into the station and she got on. She took a seat in the back by the window. The train began to move and she watched as the scenery went by.

Meanwhile in all the way in the city of Joplin, eighteen year old Christofer Drew Ingle stood by the train platform waiting for the train. Dressed in light blue skinny jeans, flip flops, and a white v-neck shirt, he waited. He was taking the midnight train as well. Guitar in hand he waited in the summer wind. Christofer just wanted to escape Joplin so he could go play his music. He had grown up in the city all of his life. He learned to play guitar at an early age and since then he only wanted to play music.

The train had pulled into the station and Christofer got on. He looked to his left and to his right, seeing empty seats. His eyes then fell upon Hailey. He walked toward where she was pulling his guitar behind him. He quietly asked if the seat next to her was taken.

Hailey looked over at Christofer and smiled. “No, you can sit here,” she spoke to him kindly.

“Thank you,” he said, sitting down. He placed his guitar between his legs and the train began to move. Hailey looked at the guitar.

“Nice guitar,” she commented to him.

“Thanks, do you play?” he asked. Hailey shook her head.

“I do own a guitar. I just never learned how to play, but I sing,” she said.

“As you can probably tell, I play. I sing also.”

Hailey could feel herself getting flustered. She had a weak spot for singer, songwriter types. “That’s cool,” she murmured. She didn’t know what to say to him.

“So where are you headed?” Christofer asked.

“Anywhere to be honest, you?” she asked him.

“Same, I don’t know where I’m going but I know I’ll find something when I get there,” he answered.

The train kept on going and soon they were out of Missouri. It was still dark out. Both Hailey and Christofer kept conversing. They didn’t know where they were, but as long as they were somewhere they were both content. When the train reached its last stop they both got off the train.

They walked out onto the platform looking up at the sky. Hailey looked at Christofer and smiled. She didn’t know how she encountered such a beautiful boy, but she was glad that she did. Christofer held onto his guitar and wondered how he was able to meet such amiable girl.

“Do you know where we are?” Hailey asked.

“Not at all, but I like it,” Christofer answered. “Let’s go find something.” Hailey nodded and they began to walk.

They were walking on the downtown boulevard, passing many people. The streetlights guided their way as they walked. Both of them were quiet as they did so. The crescent moon was high in the star filled sky. They came upon a small bar.

“I think I found something,” Christofer said, pointing to the small bar. Christofer didn’t care if they weren’t old enough to drink. He only wanted to go somewhere. “Want to go in?”

Hailey shrugged. “Sure, let’s go.”

Christofer opened the door and held it open for Hailey. She thanked him as she walked inside. Christofer followed her inside. The bar was full of people and life. It was smoky and the scent of cheap perfume was in the air. It also appeared to be karaoke night.

A stout man took the small stage in the bar. He cleared his throat and said, “Who wants to sing next?” Murmurs came from the crowd. They all were debating who was going to sing next. Christofer stepped out from behind Hailey and spoke up.

“I’ll sing next,” he said, loudly. The man on the stage waved his hand for Christofer to come forward. “Will you hold my guitar?” Christofer asked Hailey. She nodded and took his guitar.

Christofer walked onto the stage and grabbed the microphone. He looked up and smiled at Hailey. His eyes then looked towards the small television screen that would display the words. He waited for the music to begin. After a few seconds the familiar piano from Don’t Stop Believin’ began to play.

Just a small town girl, livin’ in a lonely world,” Christofer sang looking at Hailey, “She took the midnight train going anywhere.” Hailey smiled at him.

Just a city boy, born and raised in South Detroit, he took the midnight train going anywhere,” He sang. The crowd cheered as the guitar began to play. Christofer sang his heart out and had the whole bar singing along. Christofer ever so often looked into Hailey’s eyes as she sang along.

Christofer thought of how striking she was. He smiled continuing to sing. The crowd was roaring as he the notes. Christofer felt like a true musician. He no longer had to search for tirelessly at night. He had found his something. He finished singing and the music died out. The crowd erupted in applause. Christofer ran down to Hailey, picked her up and spun her around.

“You were phenomenal!” she exclaimed. “You were superb. It was the best moment of my life!”

Christofer put her down and took his guitar from her. “Thank you,” he said to her. “Do you want to get some fresh air?” Hailey nodded and Christofer placed an arm around her shoulder. They walked out of the bar together and around the corner. They continued to walk until they were standing over a bridge. The sun was starting to rise.

“We have to go back,” Hailey said, looking out at the horizon.

“Do you want to go back?” Christofer asked.

“Not really, but I have to,” she answered.

“You could stay here with me, wherever we are. We can make music,” he said.

“That’s nice of you, but I don’t even know your name. I couldn’t do that and I always return home when I go out like this,” she spoke.

“It’s Christofer. Every night I go out looking for something and I think I found my something.”

“What would that something be?”

“I think it’s you.”

Hailey blushed. “It can’t be.”

“Yes, it can. I know you don’t want to go back to wherever you came from. I can tell,” he spoke.

He was right. Hailey didn’t want to back to Bakersfield. “You’re right. I don’t want to go back, but I can’t just abandon my family Christofer.”

“Then I’ll wait for you. I’ll wait until you come to me. Just give me your name so I can remember you.”

“It’s Hailey; Hailey Abigail Spalding,” she said to him. “I’ll come back. Don’t go anywhere though.”

“I won’t. I’ll stay right here by this bridge. Please don’t be long,” he said. Christofer moved his arm from around her shoulders. He turned towards her and smiled.

“I won’t be long. I’ll be back tomorrow. I’ll take the midnight train again.” She reached up and kissed his cheek. Christofer blushed. Hailey then ran off to the train station taking the train back to Bakersfield. Half way through the ride she realized she had found her something as well.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here is chapter one of two. I hope you're liking it so far!