The Yellow Dress That Started It All

Stupid Man

Molly’s POV

After he was gone, I sat staring at my bed, which sat covered in papers and swatches of cloth. I thought we would have had figured out this prom thing by now. It has been 4 years, but I now found out that we would be going through a completely new plan this year. I would not just drive over and pick him up, instead he was going to take me I his mango colored Cameron. Apparently, it was supposed to be top line. I sighed when I thought about the day he got it.

He came over at four in the morning and climbed to my window. I woke up to him looking through our old scrapbooks from elementary school. I thought he was just looking back and started to tease him about breaking into my room. Then I realized which one he was looking through.
“Shane. Baby, what happened?”
He just looked up at me as if he knew that I was going to wake up. I knew then. That man had no compassion at all.
“What did he send this time?” I said getting up to go sit by him on the floor.
These things were just natural to us. Those little moments where I know I would break my heart a million times over just to take away the pain his father causes him for one day.
“He sent the new car. The 2009 Cameron.” he looked at me and attempted a smile, “At least it’s better than the last thing he got me.”
“At fourteen Shane, the scooter was great! He is just a coward! I can’t believe this.” I slumped down to where I could lay his head on my shoulder.
We sat like this for what seemed like forever. When we both got to the point of depression where you can’t feel like you can’t stand it anymore, we walked outside and he showed me the car. It was tough looking. In addition, he hated it, because it reminded Shane of him.
“It’s too perfect; everything about it is too perfect. And it’s too…him. It’s exactly what he would want me to be. Tough and mean. But I’m not. Can’t be. I like to design womens' clothes Molly. This is his.” he sighed turning around to walk away when I got a great idea.
“What if we make it ours?” He just looked at me as if I was nuts. “I mean it! We can do something small and make it so you see you when you look at it! It’s perfect! Or rather not perfect!”
“Like what Molly? You can’t change everything about it in what-” he looked down at his watch, “- 2 hours.”
“No, but we can adjust it.” I grinned like a crazy person. I ran inside and brought back out my Swiss army knife. As I climbed in the front seat, I could see him staring at me. I reached down and on the front seat at the bottom; I cut a small heart into the leather.
“There now when you feel this you will remember you are always gonna be loved just the way you are. Imperfect and all.”
With this, he just looked at me and for a moment, I thought I was wrong. Right before I was about to apologize profusely, he started smiling his million-dollar smile and I knew he agreed. He snatched me up and twirled me around.
“Thank you so much, Amberlyn.”

Just thinking about that night made me smile. It’s as if we always knew what to do for each other. If I could only find a guy that knew me as well as he does…
I let out a loud sigh and looked around my now disastrous room.
“…maybe he should be cleaner too.” I laughed and got to picking up and organizing all of the things I had to do in 2 weeks.
♠ ♠ ♠
short i know