Twisted Wonderland

Chapter Two: We Stay in the Present

“Why is everything so wet?” I groan and try to sit up. I was so damn stiff I had trouble to stay upright for thirty seconds. Why was I so stiff? It is not like I…Oh. Now I remember. I got struck by lightning and a half stray cat-half handsome mad man told me I wasn’t sane. Not to mention that that mad man was a cat who helped me escape my Wonderland. My dreams have been getting more creative by the day! But as I look around my surroundings I find that I am not in my sweet, warm bed. I am lying on a wide expansion of prickly grass.

I guess it wasn’t a dream…Or could it be that I have always been lying here, sleeping in the cold, wet, prickly grass, and dreamed I was a beautiful lady who slept in a warm bed?
“Stop this nonsense, Alice, you’re beginning to sound dreary,” I mutter to myself and stand up. I was completely soaked from head to toe and my boots and sleeves were burnt. I started walking across the grass. There were lovely trees all around me, but, for some reason, the bottom parts had small fences surrounding them.

I saw someone running across sidewalk, and almost shouted. Instead I gasped. Good lord that lady was ridiculous! I have never seen such display of skin before! And she was wearing a man’s pants! They were just barely above her knee, displaying a set of long legs. Her top barely maintained her breasts as she jogged. I glanced around and saw no one else, so I was forced to call her out.

“Excuse me, madam,” I came close to the edge of the grass and stood in front of her.
She eyed me suspiciously with her chocolate brown eyes and kept running in place,” Have you been smoking something, if you have, in what party? I want in.”
“Me? Smoke? What, in the lord’s name, are you talking about?” I said incredulously. What was she thinking? I wanted to be out of here and soon.
Her eyes narrowed ,” Listen lady, You’re starting to piss me off, so just tell me what the hell you want and let me get back to my jogging.”
“Will you be so kind as to tell me where I am exactly?” I asked her with enough coldness in it to make her wince.
She looked at me angrily and muttered,” Never mind. I don’t what whatever it is you smoked,” and just like that she took off, her chin-length, jet-black hair bouncing behind her.

“Well, that didn’t go too well did it?” I glanced behind me, knowing what was there, and saw Cheshire, in human form, resting casually on a tree trunk.
“Please spare me your wise wisdom, Cat,” I said sarcastically and turned away. This can’t be happening.
“To tell you the truth, Alice, I thought you would have been a bit happier to see me,” I heard soft, lazy footsteps approaching me from behind.
“Sorry to disappoint,” I mutter and pray for him to stop.
He stops right next to me and I start to gaze intently at the grass. For some reason he makes me nervous.
“Why don’t you step onto the sidewalk?” he suggests bluntly, like if it were an obvious choice.
“I don’t know, nor do I care, what you are trying to imply,” I say coldly and look at him in the eyes, which was a big mistake on my part. I don’t know why, but every time I looked in them, I couldn’t get myself to stop from falling in them. Like deep pools of sun gold, they blind me from everything else.
“Just trust me,” he whispers quietly, some strange passion in his voice, like fire.
He takes my hand, and I am too shocked to take it back, because it is amazing how good it feels for him to touch me. He starts walking and tugs me along with him.

Cheshire glances at me and says, in an admiring voice,” You’ve changed.”
I glance down at my wet dress and see that it clings to me, revealing my curves.
I quickly take my hand away and put my arms across my chest,” I guess I have,” I mutter.
Cheshire blushes slightly, something I didn’t know he was capable of and says lazily,” Where are you planning to stay?” I’m about to say something but I get stumped. I have no idea where I was going to stay. I had no idea where I was. And, I had no idea what was happening to me.
I sigh in defeat and say,” Where do you suggest I stay?”
He grins that half-moon grin and says,” Right here.”
I look around and see that we are surrounded by, what seemed to be, buildings made of steel and the tops are so tall, it looks like it’s kissing the sky. It seems to me like if we were in a park. There were plenty of trees and grass, but there were also benches and a large fence diving us from the buildings outside.

I glance at Cheshire and he is looking at me intently, like if he were deciphering a puzzle.
“In which of these do we stay?”
His hair falls over his eyes again as he says,” We stay right here,” he grins again and starts walking, his back turned to me.
“Where are you headed?” I yell.
He stops and turns his head, his back still turned,” I am headed where you are headed,” he smiles and keeps walking.
I start to run after him, but the mist has already swallowed him up.
Like a cat would a mouse.