Tales From Another Broken Home

30

“Charlie? Babe, we’re here to see you,” I called into the room; she turned round and smiled warmly at me.

“We’ve been together eight years today,” she beamed slowly getting up.

“Yeah I know, and today’s you’re birthday!” I winked at her.

“Oh, yeah! I forgot about that!” she laughed. “Sorry I missed you’re birthday’s guys,” Charlie said looking at the floor before giving Ray Mikey and Frank a hug.

“Hey, it’s not you’re fault!” Ray said smiling at her.

“Yeah, plus it was nice to get to sleep late on our birthdays for a change! Well, except Frankie, but whatever,” Mikey laughed hugging Charlie tightly again.

We only get to see Charlie once every fortnight. It’s so unfair but it’s the rules because of the state she was in. the doctors have said that they think she’ll be ok for visitors when ever they want to come in now but nothings official yet.

“C’mon guys its Charlie’s birthday!” Frank said beaming at her “Let’s give the birthday girl her presents huh?”

“You guys should have gotten me anything!” Charlie laughed “I mean I couldn’t for you,” she said looking sad.

“Give it over, we know you told Gerard what to get, he can’t buy presents for shit normally and he got really good ones this time!” Mikey said nudging her.

She smiled at him and I poked my tongue out at Mikey making Charlie giggle.

We all bundled her with loads of presents, mainly clothes and make up because she said on the last visit how much she hated her clothes, they were all to big on her now because the medication made her lose some weight.

Not that she needed to, she was skinny enough in my opinion but the doctors said it was normal and she’d gain weight soon enough.

I wanted to buy her jewellery but they aren’t allowed it in here, so I gave her loads of jackets and jeans, I told her when she gets out I have a better present waiting for her and she raised her eyebrows.

“What?” I asked

“Nothing,” she replied giggling

“No really, what?” I questioned her.

“If you want to have sex just stay later then the rest of the guys!” she laughed.

My mouth fell into a perfect “o” shape at this.

“I wasn’t talking about that!” I stated blushing furiously.

“Sure you weren’t,” she retorted poking her tongue out at me.

I poked my tongue back out at her and she giggled.

“Enough children!” Bob said grinning like mad.

He came to visit Charlie with me not long after she’d first came here and it really got to him. At first she was just silent, she didn’t even show she knew we were there, then she freaked out and before we had to go she broke down crying begging for us not to leave her there, it really got to him and he hasn’t been back since until today.

“Sorry Bobby,” Charlie pouted at him.

Eventually it was time to go, Charlie looked really sad but she didn’t make a fuss, she hasn’t for a while now, I think she’s resigned herself to the fact she has to be here and it’s easier to accept that.

“I don’t see why we still have to leave her there,” Bob sighed as we got into the car. “She seems fine now, just look at how she was acting, joking and laughing, no hallucinations, no screaming, didn’t flinch when we touched her, she’s fine! So why can’t we bring her home?” I ranted.

“I don’t know Bob,” I told him “But I wish we could,” I sighed.

I really wish we could……