Tales From Another Broken Home

31

*one month later*

I jolted awake as the sound of the phone ringing shot through the silence of the house, I glance at the clock and cursed aloud.

Who the fuck would be ringing at 4 am?!

After a short mental battle of whether to ignore it and go back to sleep or answer it I got out and bed and padded down the stairs.

It had to be important; no one in their right mind would call otherwise. And I don’t really feel like spending an hour trying to coax Elena back too sleep, or having to deal with a bitchy Mark in the morning because he’s been woken up. I don’t have to worry about waking Frank; he could sleep through a fucking hurricane.

“Hello?” I answered stifling a yawn.

“Is that Mr Way?” a sickeningly sweet voice for this time in the morning asked.

“It is,” who the fuck else would it be?!

“Its milliard’s psychiatric hospital here Mr Way” the voice explained.

FUCK! Charlie!

“Oh, right, hi, erm is everything ok?” I asked, attempting to conceal the worry lacing my voice.

Of course it isn’t dumbass! They wouldn’t be ringing otherwise!

“Yes, yes, everything’s fine. We have you’re wife here, she wishes to speak to you, we told her no but she got very worked up, I hope you don’t mind?” they asked.

“No, no of course I don’t….erm, can I speak to her?” I said.

“Certainly, one moment please” they replied.

I waited as I heard her pass the phone to who I was presuming was Charlie then sighed in relief as I heard her calm voice down the receiver.

“Gerard?” Charlie asked hesitantly.

“Hey babe, it’s me, what’s up?” I asked her, trying to remain as calm as possible.

It’s really not like Charlie to call at this time, she’s said before in visits or during phone calls she wanted to but never did because of the time.

“Gerard! They won’t let me home for Christmas! I can’t miss it Gee I can’t! I’ve missed enough time with the kids already! I can’t miss this Gerard I can’t! I’m better I promise I’m better! I’ve told them but they won’t believe me! I just want to come home Gerard! I just want to be with you and the kids! Please Gerard please! Come and get me? I’ll be good I swear! I’m better Gee please!” she begged obviously in tears.

Before I could answer her there was the sound of rustling and the sickly sweet voice returned.

“Sorry Mr Way, we’ve told her it’s not possible for her to leave yet, every patient gets like this at one point or another, especially around the holidays. Even more so when they have children, it’s nothing to worry about. We’ll give her a sedative and she’ll be fine in-” they started.

“No!” I cut her off

No way were they drugging her because she’s upset!

No, fucking, way.

“I’m picking her up tomorrow.” I stated harshly.

“What?” she asked in disbelief

“I’m coming to collect her tomorrow,” I repeated, more slowly this time.

“Mr Way do you think that’s wise? She’s not ready to leave yet! She’ll be fine-” she tried to say but I cut her off again.

“Please have her stuff ready by twelve I should be there by then,” I told her in an “I’m not taking any shit” tone.

“Mr Way! I really think you should reconsider!” she begged.

“Thanks, but I don’t need to, if I have to bring her back I will but she’s coming home and that’s final,” I said stubbornly.

I heard a deep sigh before the receptionist answered with a simple “fine.”

“Thank you, can I talk to Charlie again?” I questioned

I didn’t get an answer, the phone was simply passed again and Charlie’s voice rang into my ears.

“I’m sorry Gerard, I wont ring again, but please, let me talk to the kids on Christmas at leased, I just want-” Charlie began t say in a defeated tone.

“I’m coming to get you babe, you’ll probably have to go back after new years though, but I’ll be there to get you tomorrow” I told her.

really!?” she squealed

“Yep! Now go get some sleep!” I giggled

“Ok, good night Gerard!” she squealed again.

“Night babe, I love you!” I cooed at her

“I love you too!” she giggled before she hung up.

I don’t know if telling Charlie I’d come and get her was the right decision….but I had to…. I couldn’t just leave her there could I?

She’s better, she said she was!

Then again…she said she wasn’t sick in the first place…