Status: Finished.

Rollercoaster Ride

He Keeps You Warm

I slid next to Jared, followed by John sitting across me. I watched as Kennedy approached Neyla’s table and chatted with her a bit, and then Kennedy kissed her forehead and walked to our table.

She used to date my crush, now she was dating my brother. Who’s next? My uncle?

I frowned and started eating my lunch as my brother took a seat next to John. A while later, Garrett came and sat next to me, so now I was sitting between Garrett and Jared.

“Why are you throwing glares to Neyla?” Garrett asked as he poked his mashed potato with his fork without even looking at me.

“I am not,” I denied.

“You’re like cutting her neck off with your stare.”

Kennedy could only sigh. He knew stopping me talking that kind of things about his girlfriend would get him in trouble. For example, got a slice of pizza thrown into his face by his very own sister. Yes, I was mean. Got a problem?

“Am not.”

“Do too.”

“Am not.”

“Do too—“

“’Ellooooo!” Pat’s cheerful voice greeted us as he hugged Garrett from behind.

“Hey Pat,” we all chimed.

“What’s up?” he asked.

“Not much. Garrett and Daphne were arguing whether she was cutting off Neyla’s neck with her stare,” Jared answered.

“When is she not killing Neyla with her stare?” he said, still clinging on to Garrett’s neck. We all could see Garrett started to look more annoyed by every moment.

“AM NOT!” I muttered, sticking out my lower lip.

“Garrett looks like he’s gonna blow any second, Pat,” John reminded.

“What would he do if I—“

“DON’T KISS ME!” Garrett shrieked in a manly way as Pat attempted to kiss his cheek and then he pushed Pat’s face away.

“He’s just shy that’s all,” Kennedy giggled as Pat pouted and took a seat next to him.

“I wonder why Garrett’s so clingy to John but he never even hugs me,” Pat said.

“You just don’t know what’s between us two.” John winked playfully.

“…I don’t even want to think about it,” I muttered.

Yeah, I wondered too. Garrett always refused Pat’s hugs but he really liked to hug John. He was like… a lion towards Pat but like a child who missed his mom towards John.

- - -

Kennedy and I entered the house and I immediately went to the kitchen. I was still hungry. As I was going to open the refrigerator, I saw a note sticking on it by a magnet. I read what was written.

Kennedy & Daphne,

We are going to Ottawa for a few months, your dad has work there. Not sure when we’re home, but we’ll call you some time. We’ll transfer money into your bank accounts every month, so don’t worry.

Love,
Mom & Dad.


Love? More like ‘best regards’.

Seemed like my parents had gone home for a few hours when Kennedy and I were at school.

Wait, that meant they wouldn’t be home when I was going to have my 16th birthday next week.

Perfect.

I took out my iPhone and went to the contacts and called someone and waited until he picked up the phone.

“John, I feel like talking to you,” I said. “Yeah… Alright. See you later.”

- - -

That night, I grabbed some clothing from the drawer in my bedroom and then went to the bathroom to take a shower. After that I stayed in the bathroom for a while to dry my hair with the hairdryer. And then I went downstairs when I heard the doorbell rang. I opened the door, revealing the one and only John O’Callaghan. I immediately hugged him tightly.

“Hey, what’s up?” he asked. “What is it you wanna talk to me? Is it your parents again?” I nodded against his chest. I could feel his chest rose as he sighed and hugged me back. “Let’s go inside, we don’t wanna get cold.”

We went to the family room (which I thought it was useless to be made because my family rarely gathered together, thanks to the parents’ business) and sat down on one of the sofas side by side. I told him what my parents were doing, including that they wouldn’t be here for my birthday.

John was a very good listener and he was very attentive and he gave out really good advices, maybe that was why I really loved telling him stuff. Maybe he could be a counselor some day.

“Counselor? Are you kidding?” He was about to burst out in laughter when I told him that.

“Hahaha shut up.”

He grinned and then hugged me out of nowhere. I hugged him back and closed my eyes as I breathed his scent. I really, really liked everything about him. I wished he knew…

“Why do you always smell like vanilla?” he muttered next to my ear; it tickled.

I chuckled. “Why do you always ask that?”

“Doesn’t mean that I mind with it, though.”

“Are you guys up for Pizza Hut?” Kennedy asked out loud as he walked passed us.

“Yes,” I answered.

John pulled away; far enough to kiss my cheek. And then he got up to the kitchen, leaving me alone as my cheeks were red as roses.
♠ ♠ ♠
I imagined of John winking and I was like nsdgighaiuoghsigs.
And poor Pat :( Lol.