No One Knows

Too Little, Too Late

Billie Joe awoke on Monday morning to an unfamiliar and very unwelcome buzzing sound. It startled him; almost as much as opening his eyes to see Jessie curled up next to him, sun-bleached hair covering his pillow. She sleepily opened one eye, jumping a little as she found herself staring straight into his, and was just feeling the beginnings of the blush rising in her cheeks when he saved her the embarrassment by groaning loudly.

"What the fuck is that noise?"

Jessie propped herself up on her elbow and reached over the side of the bed to the floor, where the offending item was still announcing its presence. She stopped it and picked it up.

"This is an alarm clock," she said, slowly, holding it in front of Billie Joe's sleepy eyes and speaking with the same patient tone you'd expect if she had told him it was a piece of 12th century Corinthian pottery. Billie Joe blinked at her.

"You brought an alarm clock?"
"Some people go to school... Remember?"
"Okay," said Billie Joe, grumpily, rubbing his eyes, "Listen, I don't have a problem with you camping out in my room, Jess, but you need to realize this is a no alarm clock zone. Alarm clocks get left at the door. Got it?"

Jessie grinned, throwing back the covers and hopping out of bed onto the floor. Billie Joe rolled over onto his side, his head resting on his hands as he watched her cross the room.

"Are you gonna make me coffee this morning?" he asked, hopefully.
"Will it stop you acting like Oscar the Grouch?"
"It's seven thirty. So, probably not," he mumbled, pulling the covers back over his head so that the rest of his words came out muffled, "Why are you going to school anyway? Last week you were planning on leaving it forever and now you can't even skip out on one morning for the sake of my beauty sleep."
"I think I'd need more than a morning for that" she joked,
"Heh."
"Well," she smiled, "I'm back now, and there's only a week of school left. I might as well get it over with and turn in my last assignments, cause if I had to repeat this year, I think I'd choke myself."

Billie Joe closed his eyes again and smirked a little into his pillow.

"Have a nice day, dear," he said, smugly.

Freddy was sitting on the front steps, savoring his morning cigarette when Jessie turned up at school. He almost couldn't believe his eyes, seeing her strolling toward him like nothing had happened. Like he hadn't spent all week asking people where the hell she was and worrying when nobody could give him any answers.

"Jessie?!"
"Hey, Freddy."

He stubbed out his cigarette on the step next to him and stood up.

"Where the fuck have you been?!"

Jessie sighed.

"It's a long story."
"I like long stories," he replied, folding his arms across his chest and staring at her expectantly.

Jessie smiled.

"Come on then," she said, "I guess I've missed enough school already, another morning won't hurt."

It was another hot day, and there seemed little point sweating inside a stuffy classroom when you could lie on the grass and soak up the sun, enjoying the breeze that was drifting across from the West and making the heat just a little more bearable. Freddy lay on his back and watched the shapes in the clouds as Jessie gave him an outline of the week's events, being careful not to give enough details to put her in danger of getting emotional again, and completely leaving out the part about sleeping with Billie Joe. That was not something she wanted to discuss with anyone, and especially not Freddy.

He was silent for a moment when she had finished, before turning his head to look at her.

"I'm sorry about your Mom" he said, simply.

Jessie shrugged.

"These things happen."
"You've had too much stuff happening."

She sighed, rolling over onto her stomach and picking the grass.

"Yeah," she agreed, "But... I don't know. I think things are going to get better now. I mean... I know this is a really stupid thing to say, but I can't see how things could get any worse."

Freddy smiled.

"Most people, I'd tell them they'd just jinxed everything by saying that, but with you... I can't see how things could get worse either. And you're friends with Billie Joe now, right?"
"Yeah... . It's really kind of weird how we hated each other so much. Now... well, I think we're gonna be okay."
"I told you he seemed like a cool guy," said Freddy, raising his eyebrows and giving her a smug glance. She laughed.
"You only thought he was a cool guy because he sold you really cheap dope."

Freddy smiled, looking back at the sky.

"Two dollars a joint," he said, "That's pretty cool in itself."

Billie Joe waited until early afternoon. He told himself that it was because he should wait for Tre's hangover to ease up before approaching him, but mainly he was just putting it off because he knew it was going to be difficult. He had no idea what he was going to say to him, and he had no idea whether it was going to make any difference what he said anyway.

He walked very slowly. He was in no rush to have this out with his friend, but he knew he had no choice. There was far too much at stake here. His shoes scraped a little on the concrete as he walked, dragging his feet like a sulking child. When he got to Tre's house, he stopped and ran a hand through his hair.
Deep breath. Here goes.

He felt his nerves heighten a little when Tre's father answered the door. He was hoping Tre would be alone, because he didn't want anyone else listening to this. He liked Tre's Dad, and he didn't want him knowing how much he had hurt his son.

"Billie Joe!"
"Hey Mr. Wright."
"Come right in, Frank's upstairs. I think he's feeling a little worse for wear after last night, if you know what I mean."
"I know exactly what you mean," Billie Joe replied, attempting a smile, as Mr. Wright hollered for Tre up the stairs.
"So, I haven't seen you in a while, Billie. What've you been up to?"

Billie Joe opened his mouth to answer as Tre appeared at the top of the stairs. He didn't have his most forgiving face on as he answered for Billie Joe, his voice very dark.

"Stabbing his friends in the back, mainly."
"Tre... " said Billie Joe, wearily, "I came over to talk things through. I don't wanna fall out over this."
"Not interested."

Billie Joe glanced nervously at Tre's father, who was wearing a confused expression.

"Am I missing something here, boys?" he asked, looking at Tre quizzically.
"No Dad," said Tre, coming down the stairs towards them, "The only thing missing here is Billie Joe's conscience."
"Tre-"
"I said I wasn't interested."
"Come on!" Billie Joe pleaded, raising his voice, "I can't apologize enough for what happened, Tre! I can't believe you're throwing away everything we've worked for over this!"
"I'm not the one who threw it away, Billie, that was all you."

Billie Joe could feel himself beginning to panic. He couldn't believe this was happening to him. He had really thought that after Tre had slept on all of this and sobered up, he would be able to see that it wasn't worth fighting over. Apparently, he had been wrong.

"Tre, I'm begging you, here. I don't want this to be the end."
"You don't want it to be the end of your band!" Tre shouted, "That's all you care about!"
"You're wrong!" shouted Billie Joe, honestly, "You're a friend, I don't want to lose that either!"
"Guys," said Mr. Wright, holding up his hands, "I don't know what's going on here, but you aren't getting anywhere. If you're gonna calm down and talk through whatever this is like adults, then fine, but otherwise Billie... I think it's best if you just leave."
"I'm not talking it through," said Tre, firmly.

Billie Joe nodded, swallowing down the emotion he could feel building inside.

"Fine" he said, softly, pulling open the front door and turning to look at Tre one last time, "Fine."

"You're sure it's okay for me to come over?"
"Sure, why wouldn't it be okay?"
"I dunno... I was just being polite."

Jessie laughed.

"Seriously, Freddy. Ollie's really cool. She'll probably just be happy I actually have a friend. And it's been kind of quiet in the house since my Dad left."
"Good quiet though, right?"
"Yeah," she said, feeling the familiar pang of guilt as she admitted it, "Good quiet."

Billie Joe was watching TV in the living room when they got there, spread out across the entire couch with one hand behind his head and Henry sprawled out on his stomach. Jessie smiled as they walked in the room.

"Well, you two are getting friendly," she said, teasingly, "I knew you were lying about hating that cat"

Billie Joe looked up.

"Yeah, well," he muttered, "He's growing on me."

His eyes landed on the guy standing behind Jessie with surprise. He was surprised firstly because Jessie had never brought any friends over before, and secondly because he looked so familiar. He narrowed his eyes a little as he took in his tall, skinny frame and his messy black hair, trying to place him in his mind.

"This is Freddy," Jessie said, helpfully, "He just came over to hang out for a while."
"Do I know you, man?"

Freddie smiled a little.

"Yeah... kinda." He said, "You used to sell me joints. Behind the gym."
"Oh... "

A look of relieved realization crossed Billie Joe's features.

"I thought I knew you from somewhere. But I used to sell a lot of people joints behind the gym."

Freddy sat down on the couch next to Jessie and leaned forward.

"Are you still dealing?"
"Not so much. Only to friends and stuff, y'know."
"Oh," said Freddy, sounding a little disappointed as he looked down.
"But I'm sure I can help you out if you want"

He looked back up again.

"Really?"
"Why not... "

Jessie rolled her eyes at the predictability of it all as Billie Joe sat up, and an unimpressed cat slid to the floor. He took a tin out of his backpack, which was within arms reach, and opened it.

"How much?" he enquired, looking at Freddy.
"I don't know... a tenth or something?"
"Five bucks"

Freddy laughed.

"Still can't beat your prices"

Billie Joe grinned.

"So, how was school, kiddies?" he asked,
"We didn't see very much of it," replied Freddy, with a slight smile, "It seemed like the perfect way to ruin a nice day."
"Well, I can relate to that feeling," said Billie Joe. "But after all that bullshit you fed me about sticking out the last week of school, Jessie... I'm surprised at you."
"I went to a couple of classes," said Jessie, defensively, "And got my assignments. I have a shit load of crap to do by Friday."
"You're so lucky you escaped, man," said Freddy, watching Billie Joe cut him a piece of hash and drop it into a baggie. "And I heard your band got signed too."

Billie Joe sighed.

"Well, we got offered a deal," he said, "But it's not looking too good right now."

Jessie looked at him, suddenly nervous. She had forgotten about Tre.

"What's happening now?" she asked him.

He looked at her.

"I went over to apologize," he said, "And basically... he told me to fuck off."
"Oh my God," she groaned, "I can't believe he's doing this."
"Who?" asked Freddy, lifting an eyebrow.
"Tre. Our drummer," Billie Joe explained, "We're having some in-band issues right now. Hence the shiner on my cheek, in case you were wondering."
"Fucking hell. He sure chooses his moments. You just got offered a contract! What the hell is he thinking?"

Billie Joe shook his head.

"I really, really don't know," he said, wistfully.

Later that night, Jessie was sitting at the desk in Annie's room, trying her best to focus on the French Revolution. She couldn't help her mind from wandering to Tre. She couldn't believe he was taking it all so seriously. It wasn't as if she and Tre were together, it wasn't even as if they ever had been together, not really. Not properly. She wondered about going to talk to him herself. Billie Joe had already said Tre's anger was directed at him, so maybe she would be the best person to convince him of how sorry they both were about the mess they'd got into.

She was so deep in thought that she didn't hear Billie Joe enter the room, and just about jumped out of her skin when a pair of hands went over her eyes.

"Guess who?" he murmured into her ear.
"Hmmm... ." She muttered thoughtfully, waiting for her heart rate to calm down, "... Johnny Depp?"

He took his hands off her eyes as she turned around.

"Dammit," she smirked, looking at him.

He grinned as he flopped backwards onto her bed.

"I'm bored," he announced.
"Can't help you there. I'm fifty times as bored as you are. I have to write this fucking essay."
"Maybe I could help you."
"Doubtful. Unless I want it in rhyme."
"It might add something," he smiled, propping himself up on his elbow.

She grinned as she turned back to her work. He was quiet for a few moments, watching the concentration on her face as she scribbled her notes.

"Jessie"

She sighed, turning to him expectantly. She had known he wouldn't be able to stay quiet for long.

"What?"
"How'd you know that Freddy kid? You never mentioned him before."

She shrugged.

"I haven't really known him too long," she said, without looking up, "We met ages ago though... cause we both used to bunk off and hide behind the gym."

Billie Joe looked thoughtful.

"He seems pretty cool."
"Yep"
"Looks like he thinks you're pretty cool, too."

Jessie stopped writing, and turned round in her seat.

"I know what you're angling for," she smiled, accusingly, "And your answer is no."
"Answer to what?" he asked, innocently,
"There is nothing going on. We are friends."
"I wasn't going to ask that"
"But you wanted to ask"
"Why would I want to ask that?"
"Cause you're nosy and suspicious."
"I am not!" he said indignantly, sitting up again.
"Are too."
"Am not!"
"Are too," Jessie grinned.
"Well, you're a bitch."
"Only to you, Armstrong."
"Takes one to know one, Perrone."

She laughed.

"That doesn't even make sense, dumbass," she said,

He grinned, flopping back onto the bed.

"My heart wasn't really in this argument," he said, in his defence, "Normally I put up more of a fight."

Jessie's expression softened a little.

"Thinking about Tre?"
"Mmm."
"Me too"
"I feel bad for Mike, too, getting caught up in the middle of all of this. He's worked so hard for it and now Tre and I are fucking everything up."
"I'm going to talk to Tre."

Billie Joe pursed his lips a little and looked back at the ceiling.

"I don't think that's a very good idea, Jessie," he said.
"Why not? He isn't gonna listen to you, I might as well try and get him to listen to me."
"Well... what will you tell him?"
"That I'm sorry. That there's nothing going on with us. That there never has been."

Billie Joe scratched his head.

"He won't listen"
"It's worth a try, Billie. Jeez, d'you want to just give up on him?"
"Of course I don't," he frowned.
"So just let me do this. This isn't only a problem for you, you know. I like Tre, a lot. I don't wanna lose him either."

Billie Joe wearily rubbed his eyes, before turning his head to look at Jessie.

"Okay," he said, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean... fuck it. You may as well try, I guess."

Two thousand words on French warfare later, Jessie was on her way to Tre's. She had never been to his house before, and it was nerve wracking. She had no idea if he was going to want to speak to her, or if he hated her as intensely as he appeared to hate Billie Joe.

Her heart pounded in her chest as she stood on the doorstep, waiting for someone to answer and partly considering running off back down the street before anyone did. As the front door was pulled open, she took a deep breath.

"Oh," said Tre, flatly, "It's you."
"Yeah... ."
"What are you doing here?"

Jessie looked down at her hands, which she was twisting nervously together. Then she looked back up again, meeting his eyes, which she noticed were missing their usual brightness.

"I wanted to talk to you... " she began, nervously, "I don't wanna argue or anything... I just wanted the chance to talk to you... and for you to listen."

Tre looked down at the floor.

"So... will you let me in?"

He sighed, then nodded, holding the door open and walking back into the house.

Jessie followed him into the living room where he made room for her on the couch next to him, and looked at her expectantly. She tentatively took a seat next to him.

"Tre... I'm really sorry," she said, earnestly. "I'm sorry for what happened, I'm sorry you and Billie have fallen out. I'm sorry you got hurt."

Tre nodded, but said nothing. Jessie continued.

"I don't want you and Billie to fight over this" she said, "There's nothing to fight over. Billie and I... we're friends. We've been through a lot lately and its pretty intense... it's weird, but... I don't know how it happened. It was never planned. Neither of us expected to happen. I don't want you thinking that the whole time, that was why Billie didn't want us together. That's not true."

Tre looked up at Jessie.

"How do you know that?" he asked, "How do you know he didn't have it planned the whole time?"

Jessie frowned.

"I just know," she said, "Because I trust him. It's taken me a while. It takes me a while to trust anybody... but when I do... I do. Okay?"

Tre sighed.

"Look, Jessie. It isn't just about you and Billie Joe. If you say nothing was going on before, then I believe you."
"You do?"
"Yes. I'm not sure I believe Billie didn't want anything to be going on but, fuck it, I'll probably never know."
"Unless you trust him"
"That's my point. I can't. Even if this was unplanned, unexpected, and whatever else, he knew I liked you, he knew it would upset me, and he went and slept with you anyway. There's like an unspoken guy code in these situations, you know? He completely disregarded it."
"But he's sorry."
"So he should be"
"Tre... " Jessie groaned, putting her head in her hands, "He really regrets it. I can tell"
"Do you regret it, too?"

Jessie sighed.

"Yes" she said, quietly, "It should never have happened. Of course I regret it."

Tre leaned forward and put his hands in his hair.

"I can't help thinking... that if I hadn't listened to Billie Joe... if I'd just done what I wanted, none of this would have happened. And you and me... "

He trailed off. Jessie bit her lip and studied the carpet.

"... I really like you, Jessie," said Tre, quietly.
"I like you too."
"You know what I mean."
"I know. I know what you mean. But Tre... we had our chance... "

He frowned.

"If we like each other, I'm sure as hell not listening to Billie Joe anymore. He can fuck himself if he thinks I'm staying away from you, just cause of him."

Jessie sighed. She felt completely confused by the whole situation. After all the stress that had been going on the past week, she had gotten over the upset of Tre finishing with her and accepted it. And now here he was, effectively asking her out all over again. And she found herself feeling guilty. Why should she be feeling guilty? She hadn't done anything wrong.

"Tre, this isn't about Billie right now. It's about me. I've got enough going on without things getting more complicated."
"I care about you. I want to be there for you."
"I know you do. And you can be, as a friend."
"How can you have changed you mind about me in the space of a week?"
"Its not about you, its about the situation. I need things to settle down."
"This is about Billie Joe, isn't it?" Tre frowned.

Jessie let out an exasperated sigh.

"What's the point in even asking me that, Tre, if you don't believe me when I tell you the answer?"

Tre looked down.

"Sorry" he whispered.
"It's okay," said Jessie, softly. "I just want us all to be friends again. Billie feels terrible. Won't you consider forgiving him?"

Tre raised his eyes to hers. They looked sad.

"I don't know if I can, Jessie."

"What's with the long face, Hon?" Ollie asked, when Jessie arrived back at the Armstrong house.
"Oh... nothing," she shrugged, dismissively, "Just... some issues with a friend."
"Well, if it'll cheer you up, I've made lasagna."
"That does cheer me up," Jessie smiled, peering into the pot on the stove. "Hey, is Billie around?"
"He's been in his room with his guitar all night," said Ollie, "You know if something's bothering him?"
"He had a fight with Tre."
"Oh... bad one?"
"Pretty bad, I think," said Jessie, not wanting to give anything away.
"Well, I hope it works itself out soon," said Ollie, ruefully, "Because I've had enough of Billie Joe's moping lately... "

Jessie knocked softly on Billie Joe's door. He was lying on his bed, propped up on his pillows with his acoustic guitar resting in his lap, and he looked up as she entered.

"How'd it go?" he asked.

She sighed.

"Well, he listened to me. He isn't angry with me. In fact... he wants to get together with me again."

Billie Joe shifted his guitar and sat up, feeling a flicker of anger in his guts. Why was all the blame being laid on him? He couldn't help feeling that Tre only wanted to be with Jessie to get one over on him, to prove a point. Prove that Jessie had never wanted him anyway. It had always been Tre that she liked. He drew his knees up to his chest and wrapped his arms around himself.

Jessie saw the look on his face, and sat down on the bed.

"I said no... " she said, "I don't need anything like that complicating my life right now. And I told Tre how sorry you were. But he's hurting, Billie."
"So am I."
"He feels betrayed."
"How many times can I apologize?"

Jessie leaned back against the wall.

"I know... " she sighed, "I don't know what we're gonna do... and the band... . I can't believe he's throwing it away. It shows you how much this has gotten to him."

Billie Joe rested his chin on his knee. He closed his eyes. Jessie's mention of the band had made him realize that, right then, it didn't matter. He missed Tre. He hated to think of how much he had hurt him. Even if they could hold things together for the sake of the band, it wouldn't mean anything if Tre didn't trust him. And he found it strange that it had taken something like this to happen for him to realize something he never thought he would realize. The band wasn't the most important thing in his life after all.