Dawn

Dawn

It’s not fair!

This particular thought went across her head numerous times. She held her true love in her arms, who was struggling to gasp for air, coughing blood through his labored breath. Warm crimson liquid sprayed onto her pale face, but she didn’t bother to wipe them, nor did she care. She stroked his bloody cheek with her slender fingers, soothing him, as he cringed in pain again, thrusting another invisible dagger into her heart. The only person she loved, the only person that mattered to her, was dying.

He was lost…

LOST!

She couldn’t hold her tears anymore. Drop by drop, crystal-like liquid climbed its way out of her eyes, falling onto Sam. She cried for the agony and guilt inside of her, she cried because she noticed how his sapphire orbs losing their unique shine, she cried because if it wasn’t for her, he wouldn’t be lying in the pool of blood.

He had pushed her away and got hit by the speeding car.

You fool…Why did you take the hit?’

Sam nearly smiled, he never saw her in such state. Rose was a proud girl, she would not show weakness to anyone. Yet now, she was shedding tears for him, someone insignificant. He was glad that she wasn’t afraid to show she cared, but at the same time it pained him to see her cry. Seeing Rose in tears was so alien to him, like a stranger. Sadness and sorrow…it didn’t suit her, he decided. He missed her carefree laughter, the mischievous glint in her eyes.

He wanted to say something, but Sam couldn't even utter a single sound. His lips trembled. He wiped away her tears with his shaking hands instead.

Rose guessed what Sam wanted to say and shook her head in silent protest. Everyone always said the same thing again and again when they were going to die.

Don't cry...

How could she not cry when he was leaving her? How could she possibly cease her weeping when she knew he would not return to her? Rose tightened her grip on him, as if she was keeping him away from death. For the first time in her life, she was scared. Sam was the only one who accepted her for who she was, who helped her when she was in need. If he was gone…when he was gone, who would be there for her and make her feel…complete? Solitude was something she couldn’t face. Without Sam by her side, she would surely lose her sanity.

Rose wanted to scream at the sky in agony. This wasn’t supposed to happen! Sam was the nicest person she ever knew, he didn’t deserve a cruel fate. He had done nothing wrong, he shouldn’t die. She would trade away anything in exchange for his life. She would take his place on the cold earth, bleeding till her end.

He hated seeing her in such state. The sobbing girl in front of him wasn’t the strong, hot-headed Rose he knew and loved. He didn’t want Rose to mourn and grieve for him for the rest of her life. He wished her a happy life. And he would leave as her strength, instead of her only weakness, an eternal scar in her heart.

Although Rose saw Sam moved his blood smeared lips, she could hear nothing but coughs and chocking sounds. Realization struck her suddenly, a signal to the harsh reality. Turning her head away, she shut her eyes. Rose could no longer stare at her lover, it was too heart-breaking. Sam’s breathing sounds were increasing. His body was failing him. She couldn’t do anything as she watched him getting nearer to death itself.

She felt Sam’s hand tugging her weakly, a pleading look on his face. His head turned to the right. Rose followed his eye's direction and saw his hands moving. Then she noticed he was writing with his blood. The words were slightly blurry but she could read them.

The dreaded words---Smile for me...

More tears fell from her eyes. Rose had been expecting this from him, but she wasn’t sure whether she could do it. Rose could barely stop crying. She inhaled shakily, forcing a crooked smile on her frowning lips. For him, she thought, giving her the strength to defy her grimace.

Sam saw the corner of Rose’s mouth curved upward behind his half-closed eyelids. He would’ve talk, however, his body could not support him for long and the merciless time was running out. He was satisfied at her smile but there was something else he needed to do before he departed for the other world. Sam’s fingers brushed across her face in a desperate attempt to make her look at him.

Rose turned and gazed into his dull eyes—a silent plea. She moved her head even closer to him, wondering what he wanted.

Sam's lips moved once more. Rose tried to read his words, for they might be his last---another ruthless fact that she denied. Before it could fully register into her mind, two cold petal-soft lips covered her own, cutting off her thoughts. A lone tear escaped her eye when she felt his hand left her cheek, when she couldn’t feel warm air hit her face.

That was his final, goodbye kiss.

Rays of golden beam torn the night sky as Rose shouted at the changing sky. Sunlight chased away darkness and brought new hope to the land, though it was otherwise for her. Her beloved had passed onto the void, leaving…forever. The light touched him but it could not warm his face anymore.

It was all too late, too late.

Never would Rose find someone like him, never would her heart be able to mend. And yet, Sam gave her strength to live, to continue her life until it was completed. Because Rose believed that perhaps someday, she would reunite with her perfect lover who was waiting, and watching over her...

In the celestial heaven above.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoyed this short story. Please leave a comment.