‹ Prequel: Changing The Rules
Sequel: Going The Distance

Moving On Up

The Family Jewels

Nick POV

“How’s she holding up?” My mum asked over a round of steaming hot coffees the following morning. I sighed and stirred my coffee, seeing my own reflection staring back at me just as confused.

“Not good. She’d prepared for her dad to be a bit reserved about the idea but neither of us anticipated the reaction he gave us.”

“None of us did.” Kevin mumbled sadly as he dipped a biscuit into his coffee, looking lost in thought. “I just wish life would be more gentle with Charlene. She’s been through so much that it just doesn’t seem fair.”

“It isn’t fair.” I confirmed, taking a sip of my coffee and cursing as it instantly burnt my mouth. “Shit.” I repeated, grabbing for a glass of juice that Frankie had left on the table before school.

“Won’t she be waking up soon if the jet lag has worn off?” My mum commented whilst blowing on her coffee, clearly seeing my mistake with being so hasty. “You should be there for her when she wakes up. The last thing she needs is to wake up alone after the night she had.”

“Yeah, I was just about to head up and-”

I stopped mid sentence when I heard feet shuffling into the room, both Kevin and my mum turning around as well.

My heart softened when my gaze landed on Charlene, my hoody hanging off her smaller frame and her legs looking ridiculously long in the shorts she had worn to bed. “Morning everyone.” She smiled softly, her hair out of place as she walked further into the room. “Sorry I overslept.” She apologised whilst taking the coffee my mum had waiting for her.

“Sweetheart, don’t apologise. You needed a good lie in.” My mum smiled, rubbing Charlene’s arm. “Now; what would you like to eat?”

“Just whatever everyone else is having.”

“Well we’ve already eaten but Nick told me I had to have some good porridge in whilst you are here, so how about some of that?”

Charlene chuckled and glanced at me before turning back to my mum. “That would be great, thank you Denise.” The genuine and large smile on my mums lips caught my eye and that’s when it really showed how much every member of my family had missed having her around.

I took another sip of my coffee and watched as Charlene walked towards the table, walking behind me and running her fingers through my hair as she did. She went to take the chair next to me but I placed my hand on her free arm to stop her, pushed my chair back and gently pulled her down onto my lap. She placed her coffee down on the table and leant back into my chest, snuggling close. I smoothed my hands down her arms and pressed soft kisses to her hair, noticing Kevin smiling at us.

I sent Kevin a questioning look but he just smiled and turned back to his newspaper and took another sip of his coffee. I looked down to see Charlene toying with her brothers dog tag which as always was around my neck. She turned it over in her fingers and pressed a kiss to it, bringing her eyes up to mine when I stroked her arm.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t be there when you woke up.” I whispered, pressing a kiss to her shoulder and continuing to rub her arms.

“It’s ok.” She whispered back, turning her head slightly to press a delicate kiss to my cheek. “I love you.”

My heart softened once again. It always did whenever those words left her mouth.

“I love you too.”

She smiled softly and lay her head on my shoulder, sitting peacefully in my embrace. My mum finished up the breakfast and lay it on the table in front of her, rubbing Charlene’s arm warmly before turning back to the dishes. We sat in a comfortable silence, my hands trickling up and down her arms as her back lay pressed against my chest.

10 minutes later the home phone began ringing and I nodded my head at Kevin to pick it up, not wanting to move Charlene. I watched as a confused frown appeared on his face before he pulled the phone from his ear and covered the mouthpiece with his hand.

“Charlene; it’s for you.”

Charlene dropped her spoon into the bowl and turned her head to look at me. “Who is it?” I asked warily to Kevin, wanting to protect Charlene from any possible pain.

“Charlene’s mum.”

She continued to look at me, a sad emotion crossing her face. Kevin walked over to us, sympathy in his eyes for both of us. “You want to take the call?”

Charlene nodded and took the phone from Kevin, thanking him quietly.

“Hello?” She spoke softly, her voice timid and vulnerable. “Well how do you think I’m feeling?” She scoffed quietly, sitting so still it was as if she wasn’t there. I couldn’t hear what Claire was saying to her but she must have been speaking for a long time considering Charlene didn’t speak for a while. “Why?” Again she was quiet for a long time. “I don’t know, mum.” I watched as Charlene drew shapes on her bare legs, her eyes unblinking. “Ok, I will.” She let out a deep breath. “I love you too. Bye.”

Without another word she handed back the phone to Kevin and snuggled into my chest, staring out of the window ahead. Kevin caught my attention and nodded his head towards the door, knowing Charlene and I needed to talk. I smiled weakly at him and nodded my head, thanking him. As soon as we were alone again I bent my head to look at the side of her face, squeezing her hand to wake her from her daze.

“My mum wants me to go to lunch with her.”

“Just her?”

She nodded but still stared out of the window. “At least that’s what she says.” She pushed herself up slightly and turned in my lap to look at me, my arms still locked around her waist. “What do you think?”

I let out a deep breath and gazed into her beautiful yet broken eyes, speaking as gently as I could. “I think you should go. Your mum has always been so supportive of us and it wouldn’t be fair to block her out. She loves you so much and this family divide will be killing her. You need to go.”

“Come with me?” She asked, picking up one of my hands from around her waist and holding it to her lips. I shook my head and she frowned. “Why not?” She dropped my hand.

“Because I’m not family, Charlene. Your mum deserves some alone time with you. Besides, if she wants too she can come back here afterwards. I know my mum has been desperate for a catch up.”

The small and subtle smile on appeared her lips again; the one that always appeared when she was satisfied with my words. “You always know what to say.” She whispered onto my lips which I pushed upwards to catch her bottom lip between mine. She smiled into the kiss and snaked her arms around my neck, a small piece of hair falling from her bun and onto my face which I gently placed back behind her ear. She pulled back gently and licked her lips, her eyes still closed.

“You know I can’t think straight when you kiss me like that, Nick.” Her eyes fluttered open as she spoke. “Five years on and you still do it to me.”

I smiled and pressed a kiss to her nose, watching her eyes follow me. “What can I say? Some of us are just blessed.” I winked at her, soon following it with a smirk.

“Oh and would you look at that, five years on and still just as cocky as ever.”

“And irresistible.” I added with a laugh. She looked at me with an open mouth and shook her head, humour all over her face. She then laughed and messed up my hair, sliding her hand down to clasp onto my ear which she rubbed with her thumb.

“But five years on;” she smiled. “and I’m still a sucker for you.”

...

Charlene’s POV

“I’ve got quite a few things to pick up in town so just text me when you want me to come and pick you up.” Nick said as we pulled into the restaurant car park.

“Ok.”

He pulled the car to a stop and turned in his seat to look at me and only two seconds later I felt his hand on my cheek, turning my head upwards. “Everything will be fine.” He cooed, rubbing his thumb down my cheek. I nodded at him and he formed a sad smile. He leaned forward and pressed a kiss to my forehead, now gripping both cheeks.

“I love you.” He muttered onto my forehead. My hand grasped onto his jacket and I nudged my head upwards, forcing him to pull his own back. “I love you too.”

We shared a tender kiss before I stepped out of his huge car, snuggling into his warm hoody as an ice cold wind fought against my body. Just before I walked inside I turned and waved him off, smiling as he winked at me encouragingly.

“Howard.” I informed the waitress who quickly ushered me through the restaurant to the table where my mother sat. “Thank you.”

My mum stood with a warm smile on her lips, a comforting look in her eyes as she gave me a hug.

“It’s still horribly chilly out there.” She commented.

“Does my flushed face give you that impression?” I smiled, sitting in the seat across from her.

“Did Nick drop you off?”

I nodded.

“I already ordered you a sparkling water. Is that still your favourite?” She asked hopefully, her eyes wide and almost desperate for my approval. I smiled and nodded, thanking her.

“I’m still Charlene, mum.” I chuckled and rubbed her hand warmly before pulling it back again. She smiled delicately back at me.

“You look good.”

“Do I?” I laughed considering how little sleep I had managed to get the night before. Nick thankfully was the world’s most comfortable pillow which helped me rest.

Her gaze turned thoughtful and she looked outside of the window to her left. “Nick also looked a lot better yesterday compared to the last time I saw him.” She said thoughtfully, still gazing outside.

“Wait; what?” I stuttered, her head turning back to me.

“Well I’ve stayed on good terms with Denise Jonas and a few times that I was around her house he would sometimes be there.”

“So you’d seen and spoken to him and forgot to tell me?” I stuttered. How had this slipped her mind and his?

“Charlene, it wouldn’t have done any good to you. You were finally moving on and finding happiness elsewhere. There was no need to bring back the past.”

“Mother, if I had been ‘moving on’ I would not now be back with Nick.” My strained voice spoken through gritted teeth showed I was less than impressed.

“Charlene.” Her timid and sad voice calmed me slightly and when she brought her eyes up to mine, I saw them glistened with tears. “He looked so lost.”

I sat and stared at her, waiting for her to continue but not knowing if I wanted to hear what she had to say.

“As always he was such a polite young man when he spoke to me, but his eyes were so empty. He would smile out of politeness but nothing more. Denise always told me that Nick would go on lots of different dates with different girls, but none would stick. The most successful girls would get a second date but nothing more. He couldn’t find anyone that he felt a connection with the way he did you.”

“But what about Katie?” I whispered, placing my hands on the table and toying with one of my rings religiously.

“Nice. That’s all Nick said about her to me when I saw him about 8 months ago. Even Denise says she knew part of the reason they were dating was to please his family. Sure, Nick tried to move on and see what else was out there, but it didn’t take long for him to realise you were the only one he would ever want.”

“Then why can’t dad accept that?” I whispered, my eyes remaining fixed on my ring. “Why won’t he open his eyes and see how much Nick and I need each other?”

My mum opened her mouth to speak but the waitress appeared and must have sensed the tense atmosphere she’d just entered. She apologised for interrupting and went to leave but I quickly called her back upon hearing a loud growl leave my stomach.

“I like your hoody.” She commented, her eyes shining brightly. She must have only been about 16 years old.

“Thank you.” I smiled, taking a sip of my sparkling water.

“I have one in black and my brother has the same blue as yours. We’re saving for tickets for the next season.”

I then remembered my hoody had ‘Jonas’ along with his number on the back, making me look like a die hard fan.

“Have you ever been to a game?” I asked and she shook her head. “Hence ‘saving’. Tickets cost a bomb.” She laughed and my mum nodded in agreement. “But my whole family are huge fans of Nick Jonas.”

“I wish mine was too.” I said quietly and my mums face fell slightly. Clearly oblivious to the deeper meaning of the comment the waitress smiled and left with our order.

“Char-”

“See mum. People would give their everything to meet Nick and he’s my boyfriend. My boyfriend. He loves me, mum.”

“Sweetheart.” She placed her hand back on my own, her deep eyes boring into mine. “Your father doesn’t think of him like that. When he sees Nick, all he remembers is how heartbroken and destroyed his daughter was.”

“And I understand that but why can’t he see how happy Nick makes me? Despite all of the shit that happened during senior year, it was still the best year of my life purely because of Nick. You can’t honestly say that Nick hasn’t regretted his mistake and had to live with the guilt for years. He will never forgive himself for what he did and whilst I’m trying to console him and tell him it doesn’t matter anymore, I’ve got my own father calling him scum.”

“Your dad is very narrow minded sometimes and you know that. He’s a very stubborn man.”

“But he and Nick used to get along so well. Mum, even granddad adored Nick and for granddad, that’s rare.”

“Yes, but like your father, now he sees Nick as the man that hurt you. You know that I am all for you and Nick but you must understand where they are coming from. They are only looking out for you.”

I pulled my hand back sharply from hers and picked up my sparking water, looking at her over the top of the glass as I took a sip.

“I can look out for myself.”

She sighed and leant back into her chair, seeing the walls rebuilding around me. She knew more than anyone else that I hated people getting so close to my emotions.

“Where are you and Nick going to live?” She asked, trying to lighten the mood. “Have you found a place together yet?”

“He has an apartment back in Oxford where we live.”

“What about when football season starts up again?”

I stared at her, realising I had never had these conversations with Nick. She’d caught me out whether she’d intended to or not.

“England doesn’t do American football. He’ll be back over here for training on home turf before starting up again. What are you going to do? Stay in England by yourself or just up and leave everything to come over here?”

“I don’t know. We haven’t discussed it yet.”

“You haven’t discussed it?” She frowned, scoffing gently. She may have had a point. She gathered her thoughts upon realising I didn’t have anything so say. “I understand that you are both so caught up on cloud nine right now, but you can’t be completely blinded by your love. Reality will need to kick in and you both have to realise the huge hurdles ahead of you. You live in different countries, you’re in different worlds, have different lives. It won’t all just fall into place, Charlene. You will have to make sacrifices for this to work.”

By the time she’d finished speaking, the harsh reality of her words hit and tears began to form in my eyes. “I just want to be with him.” I whimpered, wiping beneath my eyes.

“Oh sweetheart.” She cooed, quickly moving over to my booth and wrapping her arms around me. Thankfully the restaurant was relatively quiet and we’d been put in the back corner so I wasn’t completely humiliating myself in public. “It’s ok, everything will be fine.”

“No it won’t mum. My family hates the love of my life, please tell me how that is ok?”

“Your father will come around.” She said comfortingly, rubbing my arms and holding me close to her just like when Nick had hurt me during high school. She’d always been there for me.

“I won’t sit and around and wait for his approval. Tell him that until he is accepting of my relationship with Nick and decides to treat Nick like a human being, then I don’t want anything to do with him. If he won’t have anything to do with Nick, then he won’t have anything to do with me.”

“Honey, don’t you think that’s a bit drastic.”

“I don’t want to lose dad, but Nick is my number priority and I know that’s hard to hear but it’s true. He makes me feel like a princess, mum.” I stared into her eyes, my heart warming whenever Nick crossed my mind. “He’s everything I could ever want in a man and more. To me, he’s perfect. Of course he has flaws, but I’ve come to love and accept them because that’s what love is.” I then frowned and chuckled softly to myself. “Ok, maybe I am yet to love the fact that he takes up the entire bed when he sleeps and sprawls across it, but I’m getting there.”

My mum let out a relieved smile and rubbed my back once more before kissing my temple and moving back to her seat. Just at that moment our waitress arrived with our food and did a double take on me and I assumed my eyes were puffy and gave me away.

“Mum, would you mind if Nick joined us?”

“What, now?” I nodded. “Not at all. I just wanted to get a few things off my chest and to hear your side and I’m satisfied that though things aren’t exactly ideal, that we’re still best friends.”

For the first time of the meal I smiled widely, a full on toothy grin. “Always. Mum you’re such a little cutie.” I laughed. She grinned and took a bite of her meal, rolling her eyes back in pleasure. “I could have lived my whole life without seeing that satisfactory eye roll.”

“Charlene!” She laughed, slapping my hand playfully as I texted Nick. I placed my phone back on the table and whipped out my mirror, quickly removing the smudges of mascara beneath my eyes. A moment later my phone vibrated on the table.

“He was already on his way back from town. He’ll be here in about five minutes.” I placed my phone back on the table and smiled at the background image.

“Who is this little one?” My mum asked in her animated voice, turning my phone and smiling at the image.

“Bella. Nick bought her for us.” I looked again at the background, with Nick and I’s bright and cheesy grins on either side of Bella who had her tongue poking out and a little pink bow on her head. “Nick said she can keep me company when he runs late at training or is out of town.”

“Well she is absolutely adorable. Is she back at the Jonas house?”

“Nope, she’s back in England with my friend Rachel and her husband. Bella’s too young to travel.”

I clicked a few buttons on my phone to take me to my pictures and began showing her lots of different ones I’d taken since being back with Nick. My absolute favourite was a picture of Nick who had fallen asleep on the couch, Bella laying flat on his stomach who looked like she was smiling at the camera. They were just as cute as each other.

“You have never gotten like this with other boyfriends.” She commented. “Whenever he crosses your mind your eyes seem to light up.”

“Now you understand why I only ever want to be with him.” I shrugged and let out a long sigh. “He makes me happy.” I said simply, pushing my chair back and wiping down my jeans. “I just need to use the loo.”

As I walked towards the bathroom all I could think about were the mass load of unanswered questions my mum had lumbered on me. The conversations Nick and I had never had but should have. What did we both want from the future? All we’d been focusing on was the present and getting so wrapped up in our lovers bliss.

What was going to happen?

After using the loo and washing my hands I stood and stared at my reflection, lost in my own thoughts. Was he expecting me to abandon everything and everyone in England and just follow him around? I’d heard women at the football events. NFL; not for long. I’d forever be uprooting my life and moving from city to city to support and be with Nick. If we had a family then the children would be moving schools and leaving friends all of the time. What kind of a life was that?

“Ugh, we really should have discussed this.” I muttered to myself, rubbing my hands down my face and sighing loudly. Pushing my hands off the counter, I headed towards the door and out into the restaurant. My mums laughter caught my attention and I then noticed quite a few people staring at our table. Surely my mum wasn’t yet old enough to jump on the crazy train and already be laughing to herself. I rounded the corner and moved towards my side of the booth when I saw a certain gentleman already there.

He turned his head and brought his gaze up my body until they landed on my smiling eyes.

“Hey.” He said softly, which I repeated back to him. I shuffled in next to him and smiled as he lay his arm around my shoulders and affectionately rubbed my thigh.

“I missed you.” He nudged my cheek with his nose. I chuckled and placed a hand on his arm.

“I missed you too.”

I glanced over at my mum and she laughed and brought her hands up to her eyes. “Ok, go.”

Nick pressed a soft kiss to my lips and I smiled as I returned it, pulling back and pressing a few short pecks to his lips. He grinned and kissed my nose which he seemed to love doing.

“Done?” My mum asked. Nick laughed and allowed her to open her eyes, still holding me close to him. I reached behind me to pick up my handbag and placed it on the floor, noticing the eyes staring back at me from a few other tables; most of them quickly diverting their attention once they realised they’d been caught.

“Nick, doesn’t it affect you having people gawking at you everywhere you go?”

He shook his head and took a sip of a fresh glass of diet coke. “Most of them won’t approach me for an autograph anyway. It’s just the paparazzi that does my head in. That’s why I love coming home, most of them won’t travel all the way out here into an suburban area to get the odd picture of me. In New York there are loads of other celebrities and I’m out and about more; here not so much.”

“It’s really weird.” My mum said, turning in her chair to look at them. “I’ve never met a celebrity before.”

Nick and I both laughed at her comment which she hadn’t really meant to be funny. “He’s just Nick.” I chuckled, squeezing his hand that was still on my thigh. He ran his thumb over my hand as I turned my head upwards to look into his rich chocolate eyes. “My Nicky.” A soppy grin appeared on his face and I could see by the look in his eyes that he wanted nothing more than to just plant a big kiss on me right there and then, but he quickly remembered my mum sitting opposite us.

Her laughter brought both of our attentions back to her. “I remember that love sick feeling all too well.” She chuckled to herself, taking another bite of her meal. She was already laughing to herself; crazy train leaving the platform as of now.

Regardless, she was still the best mother a girl could ask for. She smiled at me and then Nick but turned her gaze back to him and squinted. Nick looked down to see Jesse’s dogtag hanging from his neck.

“You still wear that?” She whispered through a cracking voice. Nick nodded.

“I haven’t taken it off for almost five years. It’s my lucky charm.”

I squeezed Nick’s hand and glanced over at my mum who was looking at me with a tear rolling down her cheek whilst nodding. “He really is something, Charlene.”

I fought back a sob and turned to look back at the amazing man sat beside me. He stared back at me, his eyes warm and enticing, his thumb still rubbing my hand.

“I know.” I whispered. A gentle smile lifted on his lips which he pressed to my forehead. “I know.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Family Jewels - Marina and The Diamonds

Long time no see.

Again, I am getting horrible at updating quickly but I have reasons this time! I was planning on uploading this latest update the other day but my amazing boyfriend surprised me with a trip to Paris so blame him :)

June is going to be really busy so I apologise in advance. I’ve got a few more exams which take me up to the middle/end of June so they will be my number priority...at least they should be, Narlene is quite overpowering sometimes. I’m also off to New York for my birthday so I won’t be updating then obviously. But I will try to plow these out as quickly as I can!

Also, random news...I’m seeing Les Miserables in late June and the lovely Nicholas Jonas has decided to come and star on the night I’m going. Urm, best coincidence ever?

Finally, the next chapter will be pure Narlene-ness so show me some love and it ought to make an earlier appearance ;)

Thank you lovelys and sorry for the wait!

www.twitter.com/lotte_williams

:)