‹ Prequel: Changing The Rules
Sequel: Going The Distance

Moving On Up

Better Together

“Charlene!” Sara screeched at the top of her lungs, tackling me into a huge hug as I turned up unannounced at her and Henry’s New York home. “What are you doing here?!” She again screeched, both of us ecstatic to see each other for the first time in months. Skype wasn’t the same.

“Sara, why the hell are you screaming so - Charlene!” Henry yelled, jumping on me and ignoring my protests as he squeezed me tight, lifting me off the ground. They ushered me inside, all of us grinning from ear to ear.

“What are you doing here?” Henry laughed, his eyes alive and bright.

“I managed to get the week off lectures and it’s been a while you guys.” I grinned at them both.

“Did Nick come with you?” Henry asked once he pulled back from another hug.

“He flew over to New York just over a week ago for loads of meetings and interviews. He doesn’t know I’m here though, my flight got in only a few hours ago.”

Sara laughed and pinched my cheeks, a confused look forming on my face. “That’s why you’re here. It’s been one week and you already can’t cope.” She grinned, ruffling my hair.

“No!” I laughed, slapping her hands away and smoothing down my hair. “That’s not the only reason. I really wanted to see my two other lovers.” I smiled at them both; the two people that had always been there for me.

“Do you want to stay for lunch, lover?” Sara laughed whilst Henry went to get me a drink of diet coke.

“No, I actually have to get Bella from the ‘Pet Palace’,” I groaned at the chessy name, “but I was just popping by to say hi and that we’re all going out to dinner tonight.”

“One question...who the hell is Bella?”

“Our little puppy. Nick bought her for me.” I smiled lovingly and Sara let out a loud ‘aww’.

“What’s so aww?” Henry asked whilst entered the room again with my drink.

“This old scrooch won’t let us get any pets.” Sara pouted, frowning at Henry. He grinned and kissed her nose, wrapping his arm around her shoulder.

“Sara...” I smiled knowingly, remembering our last phone call that had consisted solely of her screaming with happiness down the line. “Let’s see the rock.”

She grinned and pulled out her hand which adorned the most beautiful engagement ring, the diamonds shaped to form a delicate flower. It was amazing. “This is so stunning.” I whispered, smiling softly up at them. “I’m so so happy for you two.”

“Thank you.” Sara smiled lovingly up at Henry who cuddled her to his chest.

“You’re still going to be maid of honour right?” Henry asked. I scoffed and waved my hand.

“Like I would ever change my mind about that. I just hope I do a good job; God knows Sara isn’t too pretty when she’s mad.”

“Then don’t give me a reason to get mad.” She threw a mock glare my way though I knew it was true.

I took a sip of diet coke and looked around me and all of the pictures on the walls. “You guys are my favourite couple of all time.” I smiled, staring up at one of all of us, including Nick, taken during High School. “I haven’t seen this picture before.”

They both walked closer and looked at the photo behind me as Henry spoke softly. “It’s always been one of our favourites but obviously with everything that happened...” He drifted off. I remembered that day so clearly, Sara and I were lying by Nick’s pool bathing whilst he and Henry had snuck up behind us, lifted both of us unwillingly and dived into the water with us.

Joe had taken the epic picture of us all mid air, mine and Sara’s faces showed true terror whereas the guys had the biggest grins of all time. I looked below the picture to see a montage of images of our high school memories, a large one of Nick and I kissing in the top corner whilst Sara was behind with her thumbs up which we had been oblivious to; both the camera and Sara.

“These pictures are amazing.”

“We only brought them back out once we’d found out you and Nick were together again. It didn’t feel right otherwise, you know?”

I smiled and turned around, hugging them both. “I love you guys so damn much.”

“We knew the pictures would return to the wall one day though.”

“Oh really?” I smiled, crossing my arms across my chest. “You were that confident we’d get back together.

“Well duh.” Sara said in a valley girl accent, grinning at me. “You guys are soul mates. We haven’t seen Nick for years. Well I mean we’ve seen him on tv, in magazines, on the radio, blah blah blah; but we haven’t spoken to him in person since...well since he tried to track you down all that time ago.”

I sighed happily and took another gulp of my drink, smiling as I pulled it from my lips. “I’ve never been so happy.”

“That’s all we ever wanted for both of you.” Henry placed his hand on my shoulder and rubbed it warmly, both he and Sara were matching loving gazes.

Best. Friends. Ever.

“Is it weird now that he’s so famous?”

“Well I haven’t really been around it since we’ve been living in England. It’s really weird seeing him in magazines and on gossip sites. But it will be interesting being here with him where everything’s so much more crazy.”

“Nick’s always somehow found a way to avoid a lot of it though. He’s known as being the very private one. No one’s ever known what kind of life he leads outside of the field because it’s like he just vanishes when games aren’t on. People only see him when he’s playing.”

“Is that how he’s seen?” I whispered, knowing why he’d been M.I.A so often.

“Well he used to be known as the guy that would be seen with a different chick each week. That was for about a year and then it’s like he just vanished.” Sara frowned. My mum had said about Nick going on lots of date with different women but it just hurt even more with people not knowing the full story. My mind flashed to time I went to his apartment and saw all of his medicines lining the cabinets, the drugs that kept him going.

I prayed Henry and Sara hadn’t sensed my change in presence so I tried to hide the pain those thoughts had brought back. To think my Nicky was living such a life felt like a stab to my heart. My loud ringtone broke the silence and I quickly answered it, groaning when I heard the woman from the Pet Palace calling.

“You guys still distract me!” I smiled, hitting my sides and sighing. “I have to go and get Bella.”

“Who’s-” Henry began but Sara interrupted.

“Their little puppy.” She smiled, not looking away from my eyes.

“I’ll call you guys later to arrange dinner.” I said whilst giving them both a hug and walking towards the door.

“You better do, Mrs!” Henry called as I began closing the door.

“Man, I’ve missed her.” I heard Sara say as I shut the door and smiled to myself.

I’d missed them more than words could say.

...

I arrived at a large studio lot just outside of New York shortly after lunch, a nicely groomed Bella in tact. One of the security guards let the way and glanced at Bella, saying in a low voice, “cute pup.” What was it with Bella that melted the hearts of all these big, scary men?

We entered a large, open room which was filled with lights and people buzzing whilst John Mayer played softly in the background. It had a strange calm to it despite the busy atmosphere. I beamed when I saw Nick standing in front of the white backdrop, sporting a Nike shirt and shorts.

“Hey stranger.”

I turned and smiled at Nick’s friend and fellow Giants player Matt who gave me a big hug, rubbing Bella’s head as well.

“Does Nick know you’re here? He was just speaking about how much he missed Oxford during our lunch break.”

I chuckled and turned my eyes back to Nick who was crossing his arms over his chest and holding a firm face as he continued to pose for pictures. He looked hot to say the least.

“No he doesn’t know. I only arrived this morning.”

He smiled at me, a knowing glint in his handsome eyes. Bella tried to turn her little head but I turned my back instead, not wanting her to see Nick. “Urm, explain?” He laughed, noticing my action.

“She will bark like crazy if she sees Nick. We went around to his apartment this morning to drop off my bags and she was howling and wining just at his scent.” I rubbed her tiny head, smiling as she snuggled deep into my arms, appearing very calm which was exactly what I needed.

“A little love sick puppy; no pun intended.” He grinned and without meaning to I laughed loudly. I turned around to look over at Nick to see his head spin as he recognised my laugh.

“Oh shoot, I hadn’t wanted to disrupt them all.” I muttered. Bella suddenly sat up in my arms and her ears perked up, staring ahead at Nick.

“Look’s like she’s blown your cover.” Matt chuckled, remaining by my side. Bella let out a loud bark and Nick immediately recognised the sound, his eyes searching us out and the biggest smile you have ever seen grew on his gorgeous face when he finally did. I let Bella down and chuckled as she ran for Nick.

“And they call it...puppy love.” He sang, rocking from side to side. I laughed and hit his arm, still watching my family. Nick bent down to get an excited Bella and held her close whilst he continued towards me. He grinned as she licked his cheek and panted loudly in his arms.

“What are you doing here?” He asked through a laugh of disbelief, handing Bella to Matt and embracing me. I squeezed him back and nuzzled my face into his neck, feeling him do the same to my hair.

“I missed you.” I replied, since that was reason enough, pressing several soft kisses to his neck and continuing to grip onto him.

He pulled back and moved his head forward slightly before pulling it back again. “Come on, let’s go to my dressing room. I can’t kiss you like I want to out here.” He gripped my hand, turning to look at Matt who was laughing at Nick’s comment.

“I’ll look after Bella for you.” Matt sighed dramatically.

Nick smiled and patted his back as we headed out of the studio, lots of eyes following our movements. He pushed open a door towards the end of the corridor and waited for me to step inside before following me in and closing the door behind us. I turned and smiled at the huge grin on his face.

He cupped my face with his warms hands, planting his lips on mine. I sighed contently as he fed me passion filled kisses which made my legs go limp and had me clinging to him. My tongue slipped into his mouth, causing him to groan and tighten his grip on me, sliding his hands down to my butt and pushing me into him. He groaned once more as I ground my hips into his, an deep animal like growl leaving his lips.

“I see someone missed me.” I whispered into his ear as his rock hard erection hit my lower stomach.

“And I see someone is a tease.” He replied, his eyes dark with lust beneath his heavy lids.

I smiled and smoothed my hands down his chest, wrapping my arms around him.

He brought his hand up to my face once more and smoothed my hair down, rubbing his thumb down my ear. “I’m glad you’re here.” His soft voice reached down into my heart and pulled on it’s strings, bringing a warm smile to my lips.

“Me too.” I whispered back, pressing a soft kiss to his lips.

“How did you get out of university lectures?”

“My main lecturer came down with the flu and I managed to get the work off the others and pretty much worked my butt off for the last week so I could cover it all.”

“So...how long does that mean you’re here for?” He smiled, rubbing my cheek with his warm hand.

“The whole week.”

A huge smile broke out on his face and he bent to lift me high, a squeal escaping my lips. He slowly slid my body back down his but still held me tight against him.

“It’s been a good five minutes now, don’t you think you should be getting back?” I asked.

“Babe, no amount of photoshopping could hide this whopper.” He said, nodding his head downwards towards his tight zipper. I laughed and hit his shoulder, nuzzling my face into neck like I always did. It was a habit I’d fallen into in high school.

“Are you free to go out to dinner tonight?” I asked into his neck, closing my eyes at the scent of him. He smelt amazing.

“Well, I was planning on going out with all of the guys for dinner but my plans sound like they are about to change...”

“Oh, no never mind; it doesn’t matter then.” I pulled back from his neck and stood in front of him with a supportive smile.

“Charlene...”

“Sara and Henry wanted to go out to dinner with us both but if you’ve made plans then I’m sure they’ll understand.”

“It’s just because it’s Tommy’s 26th birthday and he’s still new to the team so we just thought it’d be a nice thing for all of us to do.”

“Nick, it’s fine, honestly.” I smiled and linked my fingers through his. “We can go out with them another day this week if you’re up for it?”

“Of course I am, it’s just tonight is really bad timing. Did you see them before you came here?”

I nodded. “They’re so happy for us, Nicky.”

He smiled and ducked his head to press a kiss to my lips, his lips like satin as they brushed mine ever so delicately. “I can’t believe they’re getting married.” He chuckled, kissing me again. “Are they even more loved up than us?” He asked as if it weren’t even possible.

“They’re not far off.” I laughed. “They look so so happy together. It’s just amazing to see them still going strong.”

His smile fell and I frowned in confusion at his change. “I’m sorry I screwed all of that up for us. We should have been the ones together five years on.”

“Baby.” I whispered, stepping quickly into his arms and holding him close. “We’re together now and still hopelessly in love. We just had some time out and if anything it’s made us stronger.”

“Yes, but it wasn’t the kind of time out either of us wanted.” He mumbled, his eyes full of guilt. He would occasionally get like this; out of blue all of the hatred he had for himself and his actions would make an appearance and he’d slowly fall into himself again.

“No it wasn’t and I hate that we missed so much time that we could have spent together making memories, but we’re together now.” I brought our linked hands up between us and stared into his eyes that were so sad it broke my heart. “We can’t keep focusing on what we lost. We need to appreciate now and the future we’re going to have together. That’s what’s important to me and it should be for you too.”

“It is.” I watched as his crooked smile slowly appeared and warmed my heart; the smile that always reminded me of the boy I’d met in high school that would forever hold my heart.

“I love you, Nicholas Jonas.” I said whilst wrapping my arms around his neck and standing on my tiptoes which even then didn’t make us the same height. He was so damn big.

“And even though you’re a little short; I still love you with all of my heart.” He grinned, knowing how touchy I was about our height difference.

“Nick! I am 5’8, that is not short! Last time I checked, 6’4 was not a normal height.”

“6’5 and you know you love it.”

“And why do I love it?” I raised an eyebrow, my arms still tightly around his neck.

“More for your naughty little hands to play with.”

I laughed and opened my mouth to deliver a witty comeback when there was a knock at the door.

“Mr Jonas, are you ready to continue with the shoot?” A very camp voice asked from the other side of the door.

“Charlene, am I decent?” Nick smirked, lowering my hand to his zipper which was not so alive as before.

“As decent as you’ll ever be, you horny man.” I smiled, pressing a kiss to his lips. He grinned and wrapped his arm around me, heading back to the door and opening it to reveal an extremely camp man, neon clothes and all, on the other side. He smiled at us both and headed back down the corridor, his eyes holding a cheeky glint as if he knew what we’d been up to. Sorry to disappoint you buddy, but sex in a dressing room isn’t my style.

“I still can’t believe you flew over here just to be with me.” He rubbed my arm as we continued down the corridor and he spoke softly into my ear.

“What do you mean ‘just’ to be with you? You are the love of my life and I couldn’t sleep at night knowing how far apart we were. Plus, Bella kept howling at pictures of you all night long. It drove me insane.”

“So that’s the real reason; you couldn’t sleep?” He chuckled, kissing my temple.

“That and...” I pretended to cry and held my hand to my chest, “a broken heart.” I faked a sob and brought my hand up to my forehead, throwing my head to the side. He laughed loudly and squeezed me to him as we entered the studio. Eyes were drawn to us as we approached Matt and the set on the other side of the huge room.

“Please try not to jump my bones whilst I’m working. It’s a professional environment.” He smirked, knowing the reaction he’d get. I closed my mouth before something inappropriate slipped off my tongue and I took Bella from Matt who seemed to have bonded with her already. She was such a little player.

I sat in the chair next to Matt and Bella lay on my lap, curling into a little ball and laying her tiny head on my hand. I watched as a woman approached Nick with a makeup palette in her hands as I’d heard they did to these football players. I doubted Nick would take that well.

“I’ve told you, I’m not getting any of that shit on my face.”

“But Nick, with the lighting and everything it-”

“No.” He said bluntly. He glanced over at me and I mouthed ‘be nice.’ He sighed and turned his attention back to the woman. “How much are we talking?”

Matt and I bit on the insides of our mouths to stop from laughing as we watched Nick getting his face powered, a stern look on his features. He wasn’t happy.

“Nick during the week, Nicola on weekends.” I said quietly and Matt roared with laughter yet surprisingly Bella didn’t wake. Nick shot his eyes over to us and glared which only made Matt laugh harder.

“I’m glad you’re here.” Matt smiled. “Nick was so cranky at our photo shoots yesterday. I think he’s on his period.”

They took a few more pictures of Nick and I assumed he was the last one to be getting them done since I saw pictures of all of the other players on the photographers laptop screen to the side of me.

“That’s great, Nick, just great.” The photographer commented, holding his hand to his chin as if he couldn’t figure something out. “We just need something else to make the shorts stand out.”

“They’re the brightest blue I have ever seen, how are they not standing out?” Nick commented dryly. His sarcastic and dry humour always reminded me of England and had always made me feel so at home but I don’t think I’d ever told him that.

“I know what it is.”

I turned my head to see the extremely camp guy once more with his ridiculous outfit and slicked back hair. A years supply of hair gel must have been in that mane. “He needs his shirt off.”

Matt once again burst out laughing and Nick looked about ready to explode.

“That could work.” The photographer paused then smiled. “If we removed the nike watch as well as the shirt and shoes then all emphasis would be on the shorts. Excellent.”

Nick looked at me and his eyes were different now. He’d never been fully exposed before. Sure he’d done the odd shirtless shoot but he had always covered the left side of his body where his tattoos were.

I smiled lovingly at him and he raised his eyebrows, silently asking if he should do it.

“Only if you’re comfortable.” I said and he watched my lips and then looked up into my eyes once more.

“Nick are you ok with that?” The photographer asked, oblivious to Nick’s hesitation. He then smiled at me and pulled the shirt over his head and I heard the women around me gasp as they took in his amazing physique. I looked at the other regular men there, their eyes full of jealousy and admiration whereas the woman looked like they just want to jump him.

“I never knew you had tattoo’s, Nick.” The photographer commented, snapping away. Nick smiled over at me and I winked before grinning widely.

“Having your name on his chest is pretty much the ultimate way of calling dibs.” Matt grinned.

I smiled back at him and chuckled. “I didn’t know about that one until we got back together. The one on his back was done during high school.”

“We’d all seen the tattoo’s in the locker room but he’d always refused to talk about it. It was only a year back that he finally cracked over a team meal when everyone kept bugging him over it. He just broke down and told us the whole sordid affair.” He cleared his throat and finished very quietly. “I’ve never seen such a powerful and strong guy so torn up in my entire life. He’d been bottling it all up for so long that one night he just broke.”

I continued to stare at Nick, my Nicky, as the camera’s flashed on his bare skin, yet he looked so defiant and forceful like nothing could stop him. To know I had so much power over such a man was so overwhelming but he had the same hold over me. Our feelings for one another ran deeper than anything I’d ever seen.

“Alright, I think we’re done for the day.” Smiled the photographer, walking over to shake Nick’s hand which again he did with a smile. Nick walked over to me and Matt and looked down at the serene little Bella.

“I’m surprised you didn’t wake her with all of your cackling.” Nick smirked at Matt who chuckled in response. “Did they put make up on you too?”

Matt nodded. “They seem to love putting it on all of the team. Although they say it’s to do with lighting, I reckon it’s half an erotic thing for Adam over there.” Matt nodded his head towards the camp assistant who wiggled his fingers at Matt. Nick followed Matt’s gaze and laughed, tipping his head back. He stroked my hair as he calmed his laughter and his touch grew soft as his fingers brushed my cheek.

“Want to head off?” He asked gently and I nodded. “You leaving now as well?” He asked Matt who nodded.

“I was only here to keep your lady company.”

“What a liar.” I scoffed. “You just wanted to get your mitts on this little one here.” I joked, gently rubbing Bella’s body to wake her so I could move without giving her a fright.

“Damn straight.” Matt stood, shaking hands with a few set workers as Nick did the same. Bella stretched on my lap and opened her mouth in a big yawn, her tiny tongue sticking out as she did so. She was adorable. I looked up to see Nick smiling down at her as well. If Bella was anything to judge by, then our children were going to be spoilt rotten.

...

“Bella, don’t do that.” I warned as she began wresting with one of the pillows on Nick’s bed which I then realised I had never slept in. This was the first time that I was in this apartment since getting back together with him. The apartment that always reminded me of when we both broke down in each others arms after seeing each again for the first time.

I turned and looked at the picture he’d hung up over the bed; a montage of images of us together, way back during high school to now. We’d certainly shared some amazing moments together.

“Bella.” I groaned as she bit on the pillow and began tugging at it. I scooped her up and held her in front of me, her large eyes staring back. “How am I meant to leave you alone and trust you to not destroy the apartment?”

I jumped when my phone rang from my back pocket, causing me to drop Bella who jumped down onto the bed. “Hello?”

“Charlene, blame Henry. He forgot to reserve us a place at that sushi bar in soho so now we’re screwed since all of the decent places are fully booked. This is why I always ask everything to be left to me because I’m the only one who seems to be able to-”

“Sara!” I laughed, hearing her breathing heavily down the phone. “It’s fine, you guys can come over to the apartment if you like for dinner? Nick went grocery shopping yesterday so we’re all stocked up. And before you comment, yes my cooking skills have improved drastically since high school. Don’t even think about bringing up the pancake incident.” I joked, referring to the stain that was still on my ceiling in the kitchen of my parents house.

She laughed loudly and agreed, promising to be over shortly.

“Looks like I’ll be keeping my eye on you all night madam.” I pointed at Bella before slipping into some fresh clothes and taking her down to the kitchen with me to begin preparing dinner. Truth be told, I hadn’t really felt like venturing out alone tonight anyway. Seeing Henry and Sara all loved up whereas I sat alone on the other side of the table wasn’t exactly ideal.

Twenty minutes later and the home phone went which I managed to pick up and rest on my shoulder whilst still stirring the food.

“Good evening madam, were you expecting any guests tonight?” One of the security team asked who were extremely wary of who entered the apartment block considering the big names that resided here.

“Yep, send them up.”

Several moments later I headed towards the front door, Bella at my feet like always who let out a series of barks as the bell sounded. I opened the door and they both seemed taken back by Bella jumping at their feet, her tiny tail out of control. I hugged them both and picked Bella up who was panting wildly before licking my chin. They followed me through the kitchen, both silent as they took in how amazing the apartment was.

“This place is insane. Look at the freaking view!” Henry said in awe whilst gazing out over the city whereas I returned to cooking.

“You guys can look around if you like. Food should only be a few more minutes.”

“Which by the way, smells amazing.” Sara grinned, poking my nose. Shortly after I heard Henry gasp, “Holy shit, look at the size of this plasma!” along with several comments about the view again.

The sound of the front door slamming shut caught my attention and Bella’s ears perked up. I rubbed her tiny head and smiled as she leant into my hand. “It’s not daddy, Bella.” I chuckled, seeing the excitement in her eyes. I brought a spoonful up to my mouth and smiled proudly at how good dinner tasted.

“Smells good babe. I’m glad I didn’t eat much tonight now.”

I spun my head around to see Nick walk into the room, pulling his tie lose and throwing his blazer onto the love seat in the corner. My heart warmed at the sight of him and apparently so did Bella’s judging by her excited barking.

“Why aren’t you out with your friends?” I asked, looking up at him as he came and stood behind me, pressing his lips to mine and cuddling me from behind as I continued to stir the broth.

“We all ate pretty quickly and they’ve all gone out clubbing now but I’ve got a splitting headache so was planning on chilling out the rest of the evening here.” He pressed a soft kiss to my hair and wrapped his arms tighter around my front. “Wait, why aren’t you out with Henry and Sara?”

“Henry forgot to book the table.” I chuckled. “So they’ve come around here for dinner...they’re somewhere in the apartment.”

“What, now?”

I nodded and felt him nuzzle his face into my hair. “Just like high school.” He said softly and pressed a series of kisses to my neck.

“Yeah, except you’re even hotter these days.” I grinned and he laughed loudly, squeezing my body.

“And you’re a lot more flexible.” He muttered lowly, a cheeky tone in his voice.

“Well hello Mr Jonas.” Sara said through a wide smile, Henry right by her side. Nick let go of me and I turned to see him smiling back at them both. I watched as he walked towards them, hugging them both, smiles all around. Henry looked up at Nick and laughed.

“I swear we used to be the same height.” He commented and Nick chuckled.

“I told you 6’5 wasn’t a normal height.” I laughed, serving up dinner onto four plates. “Are you all hungry?”

“Starving.” Sara answered with her big grin. She walked over to help me out whilst Nick and Henry continued talking and laughing.

I looked into Sara’s eyes and she beamed back at me with a knowing spark.

“What?” I laughed.

She crossed her arms and glanced over at Nick and Henry before turning back to me and saying with a smile, “I knew nothing could keep the awesome foursome apart.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Better Together - Jack Johnson

Kind of a filler chapter but there are lots of little things in here that will play reference to future chapters.

So on Tuesday night I went to see Les Miserables, which I actually had tickets to before Nick made the announcement, cool coincidence right? But his voice was so unrecognisable it was ridiculous. Sure, you could tell he wasn’t a west end professional but he was so strong and deep! If you haven’t seen it yet, with or without him, then go, it’s amazing. If you do see Nick in the west end then you won’t recognise his singing voice, the youtube videos don’t do it justice, it was so surprising :)

Also I still can’t get over Nick’s height! In reality he is pretty darn short and was by far the smallest man on stage.

Anyway, I hope you all imagine Nick as being this big and almighty giant as I portray him in this story...it’s much hotter in my opinion :)

Hope this filled your narlene appetites!