Status: Started Up Again

Fate Has a Weird Way of Working Things Out

Fairytales Don't Always Have Happy Endings

It was the dieing seconds of regulation.

Finally, time slipped off the clock and the buzzer ran throughout the jam-packed arena. I lifted up my mask and skated towards the dressing room.

The game was tied; three to three, and we were going into overtime.

Our coach went through his prep talk and told us not to be nervous,we ll his exact words were: "Don't let your nerves get to you. Play it like it's another game." How could we compare this game; ... the biggest one of our lives to any other game? This was the gold medal game. And I was playing two years up. Most of the guys on my team are atleast twenty, and I am eighteen as of today.

Did you catch the usage of the word guys? Well yes, I do play on a men's team. And I am just as good as them.

The fifteen minute intermission flew by, and soon I found butterflies in my stomach.

I jumped onto the ice and skated over to the net. I slipped my water bottle into the slot and closed my eyes. I said a silent prayer and pulled my mask infront of my face.

Breathe. Breathe! BREATHE! I instructed myself.

The puck was dropped as team Canada quickly gathered it together and trudged forward. The puck was down at that end of the ice for the first five minutes of the extra period.

Right on the seventh minute into OT, Canada got a penalty. We had a good PK so we'd have to put it into action. Right here, and now.

The puck was kept in the neutral zone for the first minute, but then it edged it's way towards me.

The back check was good, and the puck stayed in the corner. The other team trickily pulled out the puck and passed it to the slot, where one of their teammates were waiting. The player in the slot shot a quick one-timer. The puck swiftly dodged the players who were standing infront of the net, and it landed in the top corner. Right above my outstretched glovehand.

The goalhorn sounded as thousands of fans took to their feet, cheering for the hometeam.

I fell backwards and just laid on my back with tears in my eyes.

I lost it for my team

After a few minutes, I got up and skated off the ice as quickly as I could. I walked into the dressing room, and lifted my mask to see twenty-five guys with crying eyes. I walked over to our captain and gave him a hug.

"Damn, it's hard to lose isn't it?" I said into his shoulder.
"Mmmhmmm..." He replied

We got changed and put all our stuff into our hockey bags.

The guys took the bus down the street to the hotel where we were staying. I decided to go out for a while, but not before a 'warning' from everyone.

I put my bag on the bus and started walking the streets.

We were in a small town a few minutes from Paris...yes in France.

I walked down a main street and across an empty field. There was a small dock, with handrails around three of the sides.

Tears crashed down my face as my legs struggled to keep me standing. I laid my head on my hands, that were gripping the handrail.

"You played a great game..." Said a voice from behind me.