‹ Prequel: Break Myself

There's Things That Aren't Worth Giving Up

Osmnáct

“Thank you so much for flying in,” Natalia said as she walked with Summer, Olivia, Patrick, and Jonathan into the church. “I know this wasn’t ideal for you guys, especially with having a game tomorrow, but I want you to know that Marty and I appreciate it so much. We couldn’t imagine getting married without you,” she told them, as she turned the corner, practically barreling into Marty, who steadied both of them.

“Hey,” he smiled at them, as Natalia grabbed Summer and Olivia, practically running down the hallway towards the room she was using to get ready. “Bye,” he called out to them, and both girls raised their hands to let him know that they had heard him.

“Okay, we have exactly an hour and a half to get me ready,” Natalia beamed, and Summer and Olivia could tell that she was excited. As they entered the room, they saw another woman already sitting in there. “Sum, Liv, this is Alexandra Belanger. Alex, this is Summer Livingston and Olivia Toews,” she introduced, as all three said hello to each other.

Alexandra smoothed out Natalia’s wedding dress before handing it to her to put on. Natalia quickly slid into the dress, pulling her hair out of the back of it and having Alexandra zip it up before looking at herself in the mirror. “What do you think?” she asked the women.

“You look beautiful,” Olivia smiled at her, standing up and walking over next to her.

“Stunning,” Summer added.

“Thank you,” Natalia smiled at them. “You three better get your dresses on,” she told them as she continued staring at herself in the mirror.

When the girls returned, they saw Natalia hadn’t moved from her spot in front of the mirror. She was obviously in deep thought, as she hadn’t even noticed that they had gotten back and were now in their dresses. “What are you thinking about?” Olivia asked quietly. Natalia jumped, but continued to stare straight ahead.

“Nothing,” she whispered, shaking her head, before finally turning around to look at them. “You all look amazing!” she told them. “Thank you so much for being here today!”

“Of course we’re here. Nothing could stop us. But, back to you. What were you thinking about? And, don’t say nothing,” Summer told her.

“Marty’s parents flew in a couple of days ago,” Natalia said, smiling. “They’re so happy for him, for us. I just don’t understand how they can be so supportive, and my dad can’t even say congratulations to me, let alone come to my wedding. Hell, he won’t even talk to me now,” she said, letting everything out.

“Sweetie,” Olivia said, putting her arm around her shoulders. “I’m sorry. I know it’s not fair.”

“I just don’t get him. I mean, it was like all of a sudden he didn’t want me to be happy or something. And, the worst part is I don’t even know why I want him here. I shouldn’t want him here after everything he’s put me through,” Natalia continued.

“It makes perfect sense for you to want your father at your wedding, to have him walk you down the aisle and give you away,” Summer told her.

“That’s just it, though!” Natalia exclaimed. “He wouldn’t even walk me down the aisle or give me away or even give me his blessing. He’d probably just sulk in the corner, mumbling under his breath the whole time about what a complete mistake I’m making. That’s why I can’t understand why I would even want him here. I know he’d just try to ruin my wedding.”

“He’s your father,” Summer reasoned.

“Let’s just stop talking about it,” Natalia said. “Can you please do my hair?” she requested, and Summer nodded her head, letting the subject drop before she stepped behind her, beginning to brush out her hair.

***

As Natalia walked down the aisle by herself, she saw Marty standing at the end, and all thoughts of her father simply floated out of her mind. One look at Marty and all the fears and worries she had felt disappeared. She stopped right next to him, smiling at him before she glanced out at the guests, seeing all of her and Marty’s friends, along with Marty’s parents, and she couldn’t help but think that she was better off with her father not there.

She listened as the priest talked about her and Marty’s impending marriage. “And, now it’s time for the vows,” she heard him say, and she looked up into Marty’s eyes, knowing that everything was going to be alright.

“I, Martin Havlat, take you, Natalia McDonough, to be my wife, my constant friend, my faithful partner, and my love from this day forward. In the presence of God, our family, and friends, I offer you my solemn vow to be your faithful partner in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad, and in joy as well as in sorrow. I promise to love you unconditionally, to support you in your goals, to honor and respect you, to laugh with you and cry with you, and to cherish you for as long as we both shall live.”

Natalia looked up at him with tears in her eyes. “I, Natalia McDonough, take you, Martin Havlat to be my husband, my constant friend, my faithful partner, and my love from this day forward. In the presence of God, our family, and friends, I offer you my solemn vow to be your faithful partner in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad, and in joy as well as in sorrow. I promise to love you unconditionally, to support you in your goals, to honor and respect you, to laugh with you and cry with you, and to cherish you for as long as we both shall live.”

“If anyone has any reason why these two should not be wedded, please speak now or forever hold your peace,” the priest continued, and Natalia held her breath, almost as if expecting her father to make an appearance at that precise moment. “Then, by the powers invested in me by the state of Minnesota, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride,” he continued after a moment of silence.

Marty leaned down, kissing Natalia, who couldn’t keep the smile off of her face.

***

Marty pulled Natalia aside at the reception, wanting to talk to her alone. “What?” she asked him curiously.

“I’m sorry,” he apologized.

“For what?” she inquired, furrowing her eyebrows.

“I’m sorry for the rift I caused between you and your father. I know that you wanted him here, and he should have been here today. And, because of me, he wasn’t,” Marty explained.

“Marty, look at me,” Natalia ordered, and he looked down into her eyes. “I love you. And, it is not your fault that my dad and I don’t have the same relationship we used to have.”

“But,” Marty began.

“No,” she stopped him before he could continue. “You know, before the wedding, I thought that I wanted my dad here. But, being here right now with you, and seeing your parents,” she said, pointing towards Erik and Adéla, who were currently slow dancing. “That makes me realize that I really don’t want my dad to be here. He would have just ruined everything,” she told him.

“Natalia, he’s your father. He’s your family.”

“No, you’re my family,” she corrected him with a smile. “You’re my everything. And, whether my dad approves of you or not, I love you with all of my heart, and nothing’s going to change that,” she promised him, grabbing his hand and dragging him back to the middle of the room to dance with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
That's the end =)

I hope you all enjoyed it.

I just want to thank you all for reading and commenting. It means the world to me!

Oh, and ps. if anyone's interested, I've got the summaries for a couple of new stories I'm writing up on my profile page if you want to check them out =)