‹ Prequel: Break Myself

There's Things That Aren't Worth Giving Up

Devet

Natalia, Olivia, and Summer stood in the small room in the church, all staring at Olivia in the mirror. “You look gorgeous,” Summer told her. “Seriously, Jon won’t be able to wait until the honeymoon to tear this dress off of you and have his way with you,” she smiled.

“I can’t believe I’m getting married,” Olivia said, smoothing out her dress. “Have you seen Mom yet?” she asked Summer. “Her flight was delayed, and I can’t have her miss my wedding!” she cried.

“I’ll go check and see if she’s here yet,” Summer told her, putting a calming hand on her shoulder as she left the room to see if Faith had arrived yet.

“Thanks,” Olivia called after her.

“Liv, take a deep breath,” Natalia ordered, seeing how nervous Olivia was, and Olivia did as she was told. “You’re not having second thoughts, are you?” Natalia asked, knowing that it was a ridiculous question because Olivia loved Jonathan so much.

“No,” Olivia assured her. “I just can’t believe I’m getting married. I mean, it feels like yesterday when I first met Jon at the rink and he couldn’t believe that I worked for the team,” she said with a small laugh. “And, now here I am getting married. It’s all just so surreal. I love him, though. More than I ever thought was possible. And, I really just can’t wait to be his wife,” she said, a grin spreading across her face.

“Liv, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you this happy,” Natalia spoke. “And, I’m happy for you and Jon. It’s great to see two such amazing people getting their happy ending.”

“Thanks, Natalia,” Olivia told her, giving her a hug. “That means a lot. And, it means a lot that you and Marty came back to Chicago for the wedding. I really appreciate it.”

“Are you kidding me?” Natalia asked. “Did you think we were going to miss it? Of course we’re not going to miss it! This is yours and Jon’s wedding! We were going to be here no matter what.”

“Still, thank you for coming back to Chicago for it,” Olivia told her as the door opened and Summer and Faith walked inside. “Mom!” Olivia exclaimed as she engulfed her mother in a hug.

“Oh, Olivia, you make a beautiful bride,” Faith told her, taking a step back to get a better look at her daughter. “Jonathan is one lucky man.”

“Thanks, Mom,” Olivia smiled.

“So, are you ready to walk down that aisle and become Mrs. Olivia Toews?” Faith asked her. “I have to say, that one’s going to take some time getting used to,” she jokingly added.

“As long as Jon doesn’t back out at the last minute and leave me standing at the altar,” Olivia laughed, and then she suddenly became serious, turning to look at Natalia and Summer. “You don’t think he’d back out at the last minute and leave me standing at the altar, do you?”

“Liv, are you kidding me?” Summer questioned. “Jon’s not going to back out.”

“But, what if he suddenly realizes that he’s going to be stuck with me for the rest of his life and realizes that that’s not what he wants? And, then he’s going to duck out at the last minute. Oh my God, he’s going to leave me standing at the front of the altar!”

“Liv, that’s ridiculous!” Summer told her.

“Liv, why don’t I go check on him for you?” Natalia suggested. “I’ll make sure he didn’t leave you hanging.”

“Thanks, Nat,” Olivia called out as Natalia made her way down the hall. She walked down to the other end of the church, knocking on the door where Jonathan was supposed to be. “Hey, it’s Natalia,” she called out as she heard movement behind the door. Suddenly, the door swung open and she found herself face-to-face with Dave Bolland. “Hey,” she smiled. “I have come here to make sure that Jon did not flee the church,” she told him. He gave her a confused look but moved aside anyways. “You didn’t ditch her!” Natalia said when she saw Jonathan standing in front of the mirror trying to fix his bowtie.

He spun around, staring at her. “What are you talking about?” he asked her, still fumbling with his bowtie.

Natalia moved his hands, retying his bowtie herself. “Liv was scared that you were going to take off for whatever reason, so I offered to come in here and make sure that you married her,” Natalia said with a laugh as she finished with his bowtie.

Jonathan shook his head and laughed at his soon-to-be wife. “Only Liv would think that I would take off before our wedding,” he said.

“Jon, you know she loves you. She’s just a bit nervous. I think everyone gets nervous before their wedding.” Natalia turned to look at Dave. “How was Lily before your guys’ wedding?” she asked him.

“She was a nervous wreck!” Dave said with a laugh as he remembered his wedding. “I think she second guessed herself about getting married about a hundred times.”

“See, everyone gets nervous. And, Dave, you two were together for how long?” she asked him. “And, she was still nervous!”

“What about you?” Patrick asked from the corner of the room.

Natalia spun around to look at him. “What about me?” she asked him.

“Are you going to be nervous when you get married?” he inquired.

Natalia thought about it for a moment before shrugging her shoulders. “I guess,” she told him. “Like I said, I think everyone is nervous. I’m probably not going to be the exception to that rule. By the way, where is that fiancé of mine?” she asked, looking around the room for Marty but not seeing him anywhere.

“I think he and Ladder are outside with Landon playing soccer, trying to keep the kid entertained before the wedding,” Dave answered, referring to Andrew Ladd and his girlfriend’s little brother, Landon.

Natalia nodded her head before turning back around to Patrick. “What about you? Are you going to be nervous when you marry Summer?”

“I’m not even engaged yet,” Patrick told her. “I’m not even thinking about marriage at this point in my life.”

“Well, you might want to start thinking about it,” Natalia told him. “Because with a great girl like Summer, she’s not going to wait around forever. And, I can name about fifteen people off the top of my head that would marry her right here right now.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Patrick questioned.

“Nothing,” Natalia said. “Just something for you to think about. But, now I’m off to assure Olivia that her soon-to-be husband isn’t going to be a no-show,” she said, turning around. “I’ll see you boys in a bit,” she added with a smile and a wave. She walked back down the hallway, entering the girls’ room. “Liv, I can assure you that Jon is not going to run off on you. And, can I just add that he looks awfully spiffy in that tuxedo of his,” she added with a smile.

“He always does,” Olivia said, looking in the mirror one last time. “Okay, I think I’m about ready.”

“Oh no, you’re not,” Summer called, and Olivia turned around to look at her curiously. “We have some things to give you. First of all, something new,” she said, turning around and grabbing a bracelet off the table behind her. “When I saw this, I knew I had to get it for you,” she said, and Olivia looked at it to see that it looked identical to the one that her father had given her when she was younger.

“I love it!” Olivia told her, leaning over and giving her a hug.

“And, for something old,” Faith spoke up, grabbing a necklace from beside her. “I wore this when I got married,” she told her, putting the necklace on her.

“Thanks, Mom,” Olivia told her.

“And, for something borrowed,” Natalia said. “This was my mom’s,” she said, handing her two hair clips. “She gave them to me right before she died,” she added.

“Natalia,” Olivia began, trying to hold back her tears.

“Don’t start crying on me now!” Natalia laughed. “We don’t want your makeup messed up!”

“I won’t,” Olivia promised.

“And, for something blue,” Summer concluded, handing her a pair of light blue earrings. “We couldn’t really find anything else.”

“It’s perfect! Thank you guys so much!” she said, reaching out and pulling them all in for a hug.

“So, are you ready to get married?” Summer asked as they all pulled apart.

“Yeah, I am,” Olivia nodded, a grin spreading across her face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know if you want me to actually include Jon and Liv's wedding in the next chapter or skip over it!