Status: I am writing as we speak. I've had writers block and struggled to refine the story for so long. I'm back though and a new chapter should be up by the end of the week

Pitch Black Heaven

Hunter

I spent the rest of the afternoon at bay to Ailee. She forced me to be her personal slave, it was torture. But it seemed she had much more planned for me.

Liam came into the main room just as twilight came over the abandoned mill. I was bound to the chair Scarlett had been tied to earlier. My eyes followed him across the room.

“I’m bored.” Liam mumbled childishly. He acted too casual for a gang leader. I found it hard to take him seriously when he acted like a young teenager.

Ailee gave me a swift kick on the leg as she crossed the floor to his side. “Aw babe what do you want to do?” She questioned in babyish tone, she rubbed her hand over his chest and pulled him back into a chair.

“There is far too much planning to do, I can’t slack off. Not tonight.” He grumbled, rubbing his temples.

Ailee ‘awed’ at him again and hugged him from behind. “I have an idea for a game.” She murmured slickly, she looked up from under her eyelashes wickedly at me. “How about we released the little rat into the forest?” She wondered. Her nonchalant tone wasn’t fooling me.

“Screw you head on Ailee, she’s our captive we can’t just let her run free.” A boy with jet black hair said from the sofa opposite me.

Ailee rolled her eyes. “Yes, but who’s up for a little hunt?” She peeked to her sides grinning when every persons face lit up. Liam was practically beaming.

“That’s a great idea!” He exclaimed kissing Ailee on the cheek. “But what can we hunt?”

Oh god. No!

Ailee winked devilishly at me. “Look at what we have right in front of us.” She leaned to me and every pair of eyes were glued on my shaking figure.

“You can’t kill me, I’m your sister!” I screamed, mainly to Liam.

He chuckled, clapping his hands. “Okay, it’s settled. We’ll hunt little Mi-Mi in an hour. Pack your things guys, were going hunting.” Liam ordered. I thrashed in my chair wailing, praying they would let me go.

“You can’t do this, please don’t do this!” I howled, tears staining my cheeks. The boy with jet black hair untied me and held my arms behind my back. He led me outside and tied to me to a drain pipe by the back door.

“We’ll be ready soon.” He said taunting me with the gleam of eagerness in his flamboyant eyes.

I sniffled, the fresh air burning at my insides. What had I gotten myself into? The sound of the group loading their guns frightened me more than anything could ever do. I gnawed on my lip while they packed their bags and dressed for the hunt.

Like a flood they came out the door and stood waiting for their orders.

Liam walked to the front of the pack, his gun slung over his shoulder. “Okay listen up everyone. First one to shoot her gets the loot from the Parkers Ball Raid.” He informed the group with a smug grin. I gasped quietly, they had been there. How the hell had we missed them? I then remembered my accident and how most of the gang left their posts to help me. No wonder they had slipped through, thank god no lives had been taken that night.

“We give the girl fifteen minutes to run as far as she can, then we move in for the hunt.” The group responded with a loud chorus of hooting. I growled at them and tried to pull free with a shriek.

“You’re all crazy!” I screeched, turning to bite at the rope. They all laughed boomingly, holding their stomachs. They were crazy.

“Enough!” Liam commanded, shooting into the sky with a rain of bullets. “Parker cut her free.” He threw the boy a knife and Parker caught it with ease. He cut the rope and I snapped forward, not holding back. Everyone cheered after me, as if this was some sort of running race and I was winning.

There was no time to stop and tell them how psychotic they were, I hoped I would live to get that chance. I stumbled into the cover of the woods and jumped each fern and weaved through each tree craving the light of my escape.

Which way was home? Which way was the main road? How the hell could I escape now?
I stopped and collapsed to the ground, night was falling quickly and its cool and frosty companion blew at my skin, the hair on my arms rising with the goose bumps.
I only had on me a single top and a thin flannelette shirt plus my khaki shorts on. Earlier today had been warm. Could you blame me for taking advantage of that? Living in Michigan your whole life had taught me to appreciate the suns visits.

My crying turned to fits of sobs. My fifteen minutes would surely be up in a matter of minutes. I got up, wiping my tears and shot forward again. The salty water clung to my cheeks but cascaded down to my jaw and flew out into the brittle air. My hair – now in light waves – was spraying aggressively in a tangle of brown. I could only imagine how horrendous I looked, but trying to look my best now days was a tedious burden.

“I see her!” Liam’s voice floated to me. I screamed and ran forward.

“I knew you’d be here!” Carmen stepped out from behind a tree.

“How, how?!” I gushed.

“I followed you here… ” She rolled her eyes. “I thought I’d lost you, but here you are. Now prepare to die.” She pulled her gun out and began loading it. I had no time to stop. Liam would shoot me if I did.

“Run!” I warned her. I shoved past her tense body and she growled with fury.

“What the hell, why would I run-” I looked back and watched everything happen. Carmen turned to look behind her, to see what I was running from. Behind her towered Liam, gun pointed at her.

“No!” She screamed. But Liam shot her viciously in the mouth. I leaned forward, about to vomit, I exhaled jaggedly as her body fell to the ground in a bloody mess. Her vacant eyes were wide open, her mouth just as wide. Blood gushed out and down her pink lips then gathered in a pool beneath her cheek and soaked her hair.

My hands were ridged as I gripped my head, squeezing tightly. I almost ripped my hair out, everything was toppling down.

“Oh my god…” I whispered. Liam truly was cruel and brutal. He would let no one stand in his way, not even Carmen. He was not my brother. I couldn’t stay and have the same fate, I sprinted off. I moved mechanically and lost him in the trees.

“Ah!” I shouted at the sound of beating wings. “Holy shit!” The crack of a stick and quiet rustling of leaves made me jump. Paranoia was controlling my emotions. “I can’t fucking bare this!” I cried out. A gunshot made my whole world crash down then scramble back up.

I was going to die.

Another gunshot, I gasped. My head snapped in every direction just trying to get some form of reassurance that no one was there.

My thinking led me to crash right into a branch sticking out into the way of my path. I slammed back into the muddy ground and the rain began to pour, my head throbbed and I was positive I could smell a hint of blood. Whatever was oozing out of my head was taking with it my consciousness.

I pressed my palm to my forehead, examining my hand I could see the crimson liquid drip back down onto my feverish cheeks. I panted noisily and wiped the blood onto my shirt, it stained it at first but the rain diluted its color.

My bandage must have fallen off because the gory gash down my forearm was in perfect view, pinkish and starting to scar. My plastered arm lay limp in the mud, the signatures and kind messages magnified under the drops of water covering it.
Blood ran down over my now closing my eyes and I forced my brain to let me dream for my last time on earth.

I walked into the forest. I could hear Zach's soft voice beckoning me into the deepest part of the forest. I stumbled towards it. I tripped constantly as I ambled around in the darkness.

"Rhiannon, come, come into the darkness." He lured. “I won’t hurt you, the hunt is over.”

"Thank goodness! I'm coming!" I shouted back. I suddenly tripped and hit my head on a large branch in the way of my path, I fell limp to the ground my head hitting something cold and hard. But it wasn't my head that hurt, it was now my chest.

"Help!" I screamed. "Help it hurts!" I squeezed my eyes shut trying to numb my body. Footsteps clattered towards me, my eyes popped open to see Zach.

"Zach help me, I've bee-" I looked closer. His face was so cold and hard, it brought me to tears. “I’m so sorry! Please forgive me, I loved you!” I begged through sobs. “Save me, I need you. I forgive you now please forgive me!”

He shook his head and looked up to silently greet someone’s presence.

"Mi-Mi please come here, the hunt is over.” Liam beckoned. Zach pulled me to my feet and shoved me to Liam.

"No!" I screamed clawing at Zach’s arm. “It’s a trap, can’t you see what he’s doing?!” I howled frantically. Zach shook his head again and pushed me to Liam again.
“I told you I’m sorry. I didn’t want to hurt you!” I sobbed. “I won’t go with you!” I barked at Liam.

"Fine." Liam whispered, eyes narrowing to slits. He raised his gun and aimed for me. Would Zach dive in front of me?

"No please don’t!" I pleaded as the gun clicked. Liam didn't stop, he aimed at my heart and shot. I fell to the ground and shivered.

"Zach please, please help me!" I wailed. He and Liam walked to me and laughed, there was an edge to the laugh. It scared me. "Please...!" I wept. They both shook their heads and walked off into the darkness leaving me to die.

I was dead this time, I was sure I had to be. I was awake but the pain in my heart was unbearable. I was aware of someone with me, saving me.

But it wasn’t Zach so I would rather stay in the mud and remain a corpse. Death was so peaceful, yet so lonely. Where were the angels, and the fluffy white clouds, the enormous golden gates of heaven?

“What are you doing out here?” And echo called to me.

“I’m dead; why else would I be here.” I replied calmly.

“Don’t worry I’ll bring you back.” The man’s voice said.

I shook my head stubbornly. “No, I don’t want to go back.”

“Rhi are you okay? Why are you out here?” Someone questioned me. I squeezed my eyes tighter, how could heaven be so annoying. “Hold on I’ll get you to a hospital. Kyle go and get the truck and drive it up as close as you can get it, I’ll carry her to the main road.” Who was this Kyle? And who was the man trying to save me.

“Let me die.” I finally breathed - more of a sigh really.

“Oh thank god, she’s alive.” He praised. “And no way am I going to let you die Rhi.” How the hell did this guy know my name? With much effort I opened my eyes to see Dale staring down at me. “Hold on tight.” He commanded. He cupped his arms and pulled me to his chest, we shifted around a bit before I felt the bobbing of a brisk jog.

“H-how did you find me out here?” I mumbled drowsily.

“Shh, there’s time for questions later.” He patted my head thoughtfully and the jogging continued.

Could I even last a week without getting into a life or death situation? God Rhiannon, no wonder no one wants you around.

***

Dale brought me back to his place. There I met his boyfriend Kyle, he too was very nice. Though I was too drowsy to remember much, I knew I was being looked after.

After what seemed like weeks I came around and became fully aware that I was not dead.

“You look so much better.” Kyle smiled as he handed me a mug of hot tea.

“Thanks.” I grinned back, showing the first sign of emotion for days.

Kyle helped me sit up. “You’ve been looking worse for wear over the last three days.” I almost spat out my tea.

“Wow…” I mumbled. “Three days.” I raised my brows with surprise. Kyle nodded and sipped at his own drink.

“I’ll get Dale. He’s been fretting over you as if you were his very own sister.” He left the cabin and soon later Dale ambled in.

“Rhi your okay!” He beamed hugging my softly.

“Yup, just another one of my near death experiences…” I muttered sarcastically.

Dale chuckled. “Why were you even out there?” He wondered casually crossing his legs. I froze, not sure what to tell him.

“I got lost…” I lied smoothly. His expression showed he wasn’t buying my excuses. But he nodded anyway.

“You wanna tell little old Dale about it?” He tilted his head to one side invitingly. I needed to tell someone about my dream.

“I had this dream three nights ago, when I was lying unconscious in the mud... but the weird thing it that I dreamt that dream a month ago but a little differently.” I whispered frowning even at my own words, why did this matter? Dale frowned too. “This time was scarier…” I finished darkly recalling everything.

“Uh… maybe you should stay with us for a few weeks, wrap your head around everything.”
But what about Liam and his gang? They were still out hunting for me, I knew they wouldn’t give up.

“Is there an old abandoned Mill near here?” I tried to sound indifferent.

“Yeah, its a few miles up the road. About a half hour drive.” He answered as he fixed up his hair. “Why?” Those blue eyes darted to me.

“Oh no reason…” I said trailing off into thought.

If they found me here, I was dead meat.

Pitch Black Heaven - © MemoriesdonoJustice / Rose Tonis 2009
♠ ♠ ♠
Carmens creepy death? Sort of sudden, I know. But this idea just came to me and I loved its intesity.

My loyal readers, I'd hug you but sadly I can't :)

Thanks, Rose. Aka MemoriesdonoJustice.