Status: I am writing as we speak. I've had writers block and struggled to refine the story for so long. I'm back though and a new chapter should be up by the end of the week

Pitch Black Heaven

Waves And Warnings

I was gasping for breath. I could feel my body going under, the only thing that gave me hope was the tight grasp Zach had on my hand. I knew it wouldn’t be enough.

“Zach!” I tried to wail but I got a mouthful of rushing water. I could feel his hand slipping away, I tried to claw back onto it but my fingers gave way and I was hurled away from him.

“Rhiannon!” I heard him call as the white water pushed me away. A large wave of water crashed over me and I went under, I used my last ounce of strength to kick my legs and wave my arms to the surface, I broke through the wall of water and inhaled deeply before I was smacked back down.

“Help!” My voice was just a faltering plea for help. Once again I was smashed back under by the raging stream, my legs were cramping and my arms were too weak. I tried desperately to get back to the surface but the effort seemed wasted when I just seemed to sink deeper and deeper.

Something took a strong hold around my waist and pulled me up. I gasped, completely out of breath. “We have to get to shore!” Zach shouted over the roars of the current.

“I can’t!” I wept, clinging to him like a drowning cat.

He stroked my face with his shivering hand. “I won’t let you drown.” He swore, pulling me into his chest. “Hold on tight.” He took my hands and wrapped them around his body. I tightened the grip and held on for my life. I took in a deep breath just as Zach did and he dived under, pulling me along with him.

Unlike my poor efforts we actually moved forward. The current was trying to push us further downstream but Zach paddled on refusing to give in. Stroke by stroke, kick by kick one he pulled us forward like the ultimate hero.

“Grab the rock.” Zach ordered, flinging me towards some smooth rocks by the shore. I reached out and hugged one till I could force my muscles to work and pull me up.

I turned back for Zach but I couldn’t see him. I held my breath as my eyes darted through the river searching for a sign of him in the current. “Zach! Zach where are you!” I screamed, running along the bank further down. I’d left my shoes back on the rock but I tread off without them. There was no sign of him anywhere. I looked to my left, then right. No Zach.

My heart almost stopped.

Then there, out of nowhere he was clamoring up onto a rock a few meters from where I was. He looked completely exhausted. I held back tears of love and joy as I dashed to him.

“Rhi…” He said, collapsing.

I grabbed him under the arms and pulled him up onto the river bank, rolled him onto his back and placed my hands on his face as his eyes closed. “Wake up.” I whispered almost losing control when his eyes didn’t open. I shook him a few times, the same feeling of loss and despair pouncing back on me.

He coughed and spluttered before a gush of water flooded out of his mouth. “Rhiannon.” He whispered, touching my face gently.

My heart began beating erratically. “Oh thank freaking god!” I threw myself at him. “Now I really thought I’d lost you!” I flustered before kissing his cheek. My adoration for him was beyond words, he was everything to me. To think that all those many months ago I had felt an instant hate to him, I hadn’t trusted him until I’d found the truth. So here we were now, together even in the worst of situations.

“We should keep moving.” Zach said, sitting up.

“Are you sure you don’t want to rest for a bit? You just saved my life and almost drowned.”

He smiled warmly. “Let’s get a bit further away from their camp then we’ll wait till morning to find town.”

I nodded and got up and straightened my up dress, it clung to my skin. I looked across the river. We’d floated downstream quite a distance. I doubted they would come after us. Running down to fetch my shoes something smooth and black hit the back of my head. I caught Zach’s tux jacket.

“What’s this for?” I frowned looking to him for answers. “I’m not cold.”

Zach held back a laugh. “I can see through your dress.” He said, quirking a brow turning away as my jaw dropped and I hid behind his jacket. “Don’t worry, I’m not looking.” I shrugged into the jacket quickly and Zach turned back around. “Your lips are purple.” He commented, tucking a lock of wet hair behind my ear. “Want me to warm them up?”

“Where do you get these pick up lines from?”

He chuckled. “I’ll get my kiss later yeah?” I grinned in response.

“Oh wait.” I took a firm grip on my high heels and smashing them against the rocks I broke the heels off. “It’ll make it a bit easier.” I said noticing Zach’s confused stare.

We set off into the forest hand in hand. I’m not saying it was something I enjoyed doing but walking around in the forest alone with Zach was a sort of heaven to me. The night grew darker and darker, my feet grew sore and we were both out of breath.

“Can we stop now?” I groaned and stopped in my tracks. There were dark circles under his eyes and I knew he was in pain from the beatings he’d taken back at Liam’s camp.

He heaved a sigh and fell to his knees. “Yes.” I also got down onto my knees and we lied down on a blanket of damp leaves, fallen ferns and mud. It wasn’t an ideal spot to sleep but
I snuggled up close to Zach and slept in his arms. I was probably awake for another few hours. My heart seemed to cramp at every sound that came from the heart of the forest, I didn’t want to think about the things that could happen to Zach and I if I closed my eyes for one second. I wanted to stay away all night and stay on guard but my eyes had another idea.

~

I didn’t dream that night, not even a nightmare. Just a black abyss, then I woke up. I could immediately feel a presence other than Zach.

One by one my eyes popped open. Sitting before me was a man dressed in khaki and dark browns, carrying a backpack and a riffle.

I almost screamed but instead I shook Zach awake. The man did nothing to stop me. Zach sat up with a start, his eyes wide with alarm at the stranger.

“Who are you?” Zach asked, discreetly patting his pockets for his gun that wasn’t there.

The man looked to be around forty or older, his hand scruffy chocolate brown hair that stuck out from under his Ranger hat. He was very tall with broad shoulders and rough looking skin, like his hands were as tough as leather. On his left breast pocket was a silver badge.

I hugged Zach’s arm tightly as the strange man spoke. “It’s alright kids, I’m a park ranger and I should inform you that you are on National Park grounds.”

“National park grounds?” I repeated to myself, my forehead crinkling.

“You’re in Jasper National Park.” The man said. “I’m Bill a Ranger here and I’d be happy have to escort you back to base.”

Zach stiffened. “Are you saying we’re in Jasper National Park, Canada?!”

“What!” I shouted.

“Yes.” The Ranger chortled looking like jolly old Saint Nick himself.

This was no time for laughter. Liam had somehow gotten us to Canada! How…? Why?!

How were we going to get home without any money? I caught the Ranger Bill eyeing my snapped heels. “My oh my how did you get around in those things?” He wondered jokingly. He put his backpack on the ground and rummaged through it till he found some hiking boots. “They’ll be a bit big, but my partners’ around your height so they should fit.” He handed them to me.

For a second I scrutinized the scrappy boots loathing them already, but I decided it was better than walking around in heels or barefoot. I bent over and slipped them on. They were comfortable enough, lined with some sort of soft skin I supposed.

“C’mon kids, let’s get you back to base. You look worn out and in need of a hot meal.”

Zach and I exchanged a look of concern before tracking after the Ranger who hadn’t waited for a response.

“So what are you kids doing out this far? Did you get lost on a hike or something?”Ranger Bill questioned nonchalantly as we made our way onto a thin strip of dirt track.

I bit my lip hoping Zach would come up with an excuse. “Yeah, we were hiking up the mountain to take a look at the view when we veered off the track… couldn’t find our way back.” Zach lied smoothly, winking at me while Bill pulled a water bottle out of his bag.

“Well you’re lucky I found you, you’re in dangerous parts here you kids are. You’re lucky it isn’t winter, and you’re even luckier you didn’t run into any Bears or Coyotes. There’s quite a few of them round these parts.” Bill handed me the water bottle looking at us both suspiciously. Our lie was sort of stupid, hiking in a dress and heels? Hiking in a brand new tux?

I gulped involuntarily at the thought of ravenous wild animals.

“Do they… you know… kill people commonly?” Zach asked shakily.

Bill laughed holding back some branches for us. “No, but they can get spooked easily, most folk get a right old scare when they see one, screaming and all that. Scares them Bears and Coyotes too you know.”

It was hard to believe something like a man eating Coyote on a huge Grizzly could be remotely scared of a tiny human being. I shuddered, taking a long sip from the water bottle before handing it to Zach who guzzled it down thirstily.

Bill stopped to help me over a large mound of rocks and dirt. “How old are you kids anyway?”

I took Bills hand and he helped me over the mound. “I’m eighteen, Zach’s nineteen.” Ranger Bill released my hand and I reached straight for Zach’s, smiling my thank you back to Bill.

“Oh, so you two must be a couple of love birds hey, boyfriend and girlfriend they call them these days.” He winked.

Zach smiled to himself. “Yeah we are.” My heart skipped a beat and picked up pace twice as fast. It felt so damn good to hear him say that. Neither of us had said the three big words yet, but I was just as happy the way things were for now.

“Not far to base now.” Bill noted. He couldn’t have had it more wrong. We trekked for at least a further two hours, just talking casually. I tried to hide my impatience but thankfully we reached base just before noon. It was so charming, log cabins and everything.

But the view was simply breathtaking. Rolling hills and towering mountains, the tips dusted with powdery white show. The clouds shrouded their tops and cast shadows turning the mountains deep purples and sullen browns. The trees were a stunning sea of jade. Rivers glistened off in the distance.

It was beautiful.

“C’mon kids, let’s get you some food.” Ranger Bill took us into the main building and led us through to a large restaurant where people were gathering for breakfast. We took our seats opposite each other while Bill ducked into the kitchen.

He came back out after a minute or two. “I’ve organized some food for you, on the house.”

“Aw thank you Bill, you didn’t need to do that.” I smiled truly thankful, in all truth he sort of had to do that, we had no money to pay for the food anyway.

“It’s no problem, I should report you kids into the head office but you two seem like nice folk so I’m going to let you off scot free. Enjoy your breakfast-”

“Rhiannon.” I interjected.

“Zach.” Zach added.

“Well enjoy your breakfast Rhiannon and Zach, have a good day.” Ranger Bill left with a wave and a tip of his hat.

“Well he was nice.” I said in awe as he strode out of the room.

“Yes he was.” Zach replied with a smile. His face soon turned sour. “How are we going to get home…?”

I didn’t reply until after a waiter had set down two plates of bacon and eggs before us. “We have no money.” I stated as I picked up my knife and fork. “We’re in freaking Canada around two thousand miles from Michigan and we don’t even have a car to drive to the airport.” The list of things against us seemed never ending. I stopped there.

“Well what I’d like to know is how the fuck Liam got us all the way out to Canada, and why Jasper National Park of all places.” Zach shook his head as he tucked into his bacon.

Something weird flashed into my head, something from my childhood. “Dad used to take us on holidays here when we were younger.” I said looking ahead as if the memory was playing on a screen right in front of me. “Mum and dad loved to go skiing.” Thinking of dad made me want to cry. I stuffed my mouth with food instead.

Zach put down his fork and knife and looked off into space as he thought. “I know some people who live around here who could help us out, we’ll need a car though…”

The corners of my mouth turned down. “We have no car either…” I said glumly.

We ate in silence, both still pondering. “Maybe Bill could give us a ride into town. I could find my friends place easily if we could just get to town.”

“Okay sounds good, let’s go find Bill.” I took a quick mouthful of bacon and eggs before I put down my fork and knife to follow Zach outside. “Fuck was it always this cold?” A shiver rippled down my spine, I hugged myself tightly.

Zach wrapped his arms around me. “That jacket won’t be warm enough. We’ll need to find some warm clothes first.” Zach grabbed my hand and we walked down to the main office to ask for Bill. Luckily he was right at the desk chatting with the receptionist.

“Hey Bill.” I smiled and waved. Bill excused himself for the conversation and scuttled over to us.

“He kids, what can I do for you?”

I felt sort of bad asking for so much, but what else could we do? “We don’t have any money… or a car or even warm clothes for that matter. We really need to get into town and we were hoping you could give us a lift there.” I put on my sweet pleading smile and Bill really thought about it.

“Well where do you kids need to get to?”

“Edmonton.” Zach answered, pleading desperately with his eyes.

Bills forehead scrunched up. “That’s a fairly long drive but I guess I could pick up some things there. C’mon let’s get you some coats and head of to town.”

“Thank you, thank you!” I jumped around as I hugged Bill with enthusiasm. Zach grinned satisfied as I clapped my hands cheerily.

Bill chuckled. It was a deep and jolly sound. “Calm down Rhiannon, let’s not start one of them avalanches.”

I giggled like wind chimes. “Okay, will do Bill.”

Bill smiled and waddled into a back room and came back out holding fluffy coats that looked amazingly warm. When I slipped into mine it felt like pure velvet.

“Let’s go kids, in the truck.”

We all had to sit up front, packed in tight and cozy. Bill turned up the radio and sang along to songs I’d only ever heard my father play. The heater was on full blast so we were warm and toasty the whole way to Edmonton.

He let us out by some benches and a phone booth, there was a creepy looking man smoking on of the benches.

“Well this is where I’ll have to leave you kids, good luck with finding your friend.” Bill tipped his hat to us as we stood smiling on the sidewalk.

“Aw thank you so much Bill, you seriously saved us. Thank you!” I could barely explain how much we owed him.

“Come visit me some time, bye.” Bill took his hat of and waved it around as he sped away back towards the mountains.

I sighed my last bit of joy away and turned to Zach. “Let’s find you friend so we can go home.”

Zach nodded and put one arm around my shoulder. We walked to the nearest phone booth and Zach looked through the telephone book.

“These friends of yours… how are they going to help us out?” I asked Zach as he tapped his finger on a name and number in the phone book.

“They owe me quite a bit of money so I’m going to collect it now so we’ll be able to buy our plane tickets.” I nodded wishing I knew the whole background story to that. I still had much to learn about Rapture, I barely knew half of the shit they’d all been through together. “Okay, I’ve got a phone number. Just wait a second.”

I walked over to a nearby bench and sat down watching the people pass by, living there innocent, simple lives, unaware of the crazy young man who hid in their forests and towns.

I watch as Zach dialed the number, he was only on the phone for a few minutes and he walked over to me smiling so I assumed everything was going to be okay. “We’re meeting them at the Little Brook Cafe its walking distance so come on.” I got up and walked alongside Zach.

Liam’s choice of hideaway places was sticking to my brain like glue. Why had he chosen Jasper National Park of all places? It was much further away from Michigan than some other national parks and what was even more peculiar was the fact that dad had taken Liam, Mum and I to Jasper all the time when we’d been young kids.

A voice in the back of my mind was telling me that I needed to wake up, something was going on. Liam was planning something, I was sure he’d been planning it all along. The clues were right in front of me, I just needed to put them together and find the missing pieces.

I needed to find out every detail possible about Liam’s past.

“There they are.” Zach pointed ahead to two reclusive people standing awkwardly in front of the Café holding hands. One was a fiery haired girl. Her hair was as red as a cherry, her efforts to blend were sort of pointless with that kind of hair, her skin was an almost an unhealthy white and her eyes were a striking blue like mine. She was however very beautiful. The boy was much more different, tall and well built with sandy blonde tousled hair his eyes a creamy brown. They were obviously a couple. The boy looked up to meet my eyes as we approached.

“Zach!” The boy greeted us with a hoot and hugged Zach. “It’s been a while.”

Zach laughed. “Yeah Declan it has been a while, the guys have missed you since you moved up here.”

The red head smiled as Zach and her embraced. I felt quite out of it. “Hey Zach, I haven’t seen you in so long.” She said, looking him once over. Her eyes fell upon me. “And who is this?”

Zach wrapped his arm around my waist. “This is Rhiannon.” He introduced with a light gesture. “Rhi, this is Declan and his girlfriend Lilly.”

“Hello.” I mumbled shyly.

Lilly placed one finger on her chin and patted Zach on the back. “You sure know how to pick out the pretty ones.”

I went as red as a tomato. “I sure do.” Zach agreed. His eyes were sparkling while my heart was fluttering around in my chest as if it was the only thing in there, just bouncing around crazily.

“Now I didn’t fall out on you Zach, here is the money I owe you. Bout time you collected it.” Declan looked to be moving in for a hug but he actually slipped bulky envelope into one of Zach’s coat pockets.

“Thanks man.”

“Why did you need the money anyway?” Declan and Lilly both became very focused on Zach. When Zach said nothing Declan’s face turned dull. “You aren’t still doing that ‘Hunt down Liam crap’ are you?”

How did this Declan guy know about Liam?

“Declan you may have given up, but I haven’t, neither have the others.” Zach snapped as politely as he could.

“Hey take it easy, I’m not trying to stop you… but everyone has different ways of grieving, and I find that not starting a gang to hunt Liam down and kill him has really helped me get over everything.” I could hear the sarcasm seeping into Declan’s voice. Lilly smiled apologetically at me.

“Dec we should really get back home, we’re having visitors soon remember.” Lilly tugged at Declan’s sleeve.

Zach grasped Declan’s arm. “We miss having you around Declan… thanks again for the money.” Still grasping my waist Zach towed me away from Declan and Lilly.

~

Zach and I boarded the plane that night. I was about ready to collapse with exhaustion but I had much to ask Zach.

“Who was that Declan guy?” I questioned, leaning on his shoulder. Looking down I saw that I still had my purple prom dress on. I sighed at the thought of that almost perfect night.

“He was a friend.”

I didn’t miss the way he used past tense. “Was your friend? What changed?” I challenged, not fazed by his blunt answer.

“He changed… he gave up on trying to get Liam… he gave up trying to protect the innocent.”

“Then why were you so happy to see each other.”

Zach chuckled. “For one, we needed the money and if I was rude he might not have given it up so easily and secondly, he is my friend… just a distant friend.”

“How does he know about Liam and how is he attached to Rapture?”

Zach pursed his lips at my constant questioning. I smiled back innocently and he gave in. “His dad died when he was only four, he only had his mother who became a very wealthy business woman. Liam didn’t actually mean to kill her… but when he realized who she was he was very pleased with himself.” Zach’s expression was full of disgust and pure hatred. “Arron wasn’t the only boy to form Rapture. It was actually both Arron and Declan together who formed the gang.”

I still felt lost and empty handed, I pressed on. “Why did he leave?”

Zach rolled his eyes. I guessed it was a long story. “Lots of reasons… He claimed he’d gotten over his mother’s death. That he didn’t want to grieve in the way we were grieving – through revenge. He said that he needed to be alone. He said that Liam wasn’t worth it so he left.

“Just like that?”

He nodded. “Just like that.” I yawned just before I could ask another question. “Oh someone looks tired, you should sleep. Enough questions.” He threw a pillow at me.

“One more question!” I begged, shoving the pillow back.

He groaned. “Fine…” He folded his arms across his chest, waiting.

“Do you think that revenge is what’s best?”

Zach was caught off guard. He stiffened though his eyes were full of his own questions. “Yes.” He said simply.

I pursed my lips and I too folded my arms. “What if Declan’s right? What if revenge isn’t the answer, we could end all this.”

Zach shot forward in his chair. “You don’t understand! This isn’t just about me… it isn’t just about the gang. Innocent people are involved now, all because of Liam’s stupid prejudice towards rich people.”

I shut my mouth, sinking into my seat. I had to admit, Zach frightened me sometimes. Well he had his reasons, he was a tortured soul, and I couldn’t blame him.

“Let’s just go to sleep.” I muttered, stealing my pillow back. I pushed my seat back and snuggled in for the night. I was so bloody sick of flying.

~

We landed in Detroit early that morning. We headed straight back home, I was sure mum would be freaking out. I wondered when she would stop getting so worked up over my on and off disappearances and realize I was just doing my job.

A few months ago my job had been serving coffees down at Cupid’s Café, now I was wielding a gun as I fought in a gang war. How charming hey?

Zach was unusually quiet on the drive back. The taxi driver kept staring back at us through his rear view mirror wondering when one of us would speak. I watched Zach most of the time. His expressions could hold my attention so easily. “What’s going on up there?” He suddenly questioned.

Confused I looked up ahead, there was a small crowd gathering around the steps of the town hall. Police cars were there, even and ambulance. Something was wrong.

“I don’t know, let’s go check it out. Driver, drop us off here.” I threw him a fifty. “Keep the change.” Zach and I both jumped out and jogged up the sidewalk to join the crowd that was growing larger. For four in the morning it was a lot of people.

“Please back away, people step away from the building, this is restricted area.” Barriers of policemen were trying to hold the crowd back.

I shoved to the front of the crowd ahead of Zach and right into the chest of a police officer. I looked up over his shoulder and almost screamed when I saw - suspended from the flag pole upon the town hall roof – Carmen’s lifeless corpse. Her vacant eyes seemed to follow me as if she knew I was present. I brought my hand to my gaping mouth holding back the screams of terror, a wave of horror rippled through me almost bringing me to my knees.

Zach finally came up behind me. “What’s wrong?”

With ridged, shaking fingers I tried helplessly to point to her body but I couldn’t bring myself to move, I was almost paralyzed.

Zach’s eyes found their way to the flag pole, stained with the blood of an innocent woman.

Two officers standing near me were assessing a sheet of paper. I listened in closely.

“They left a note.” One man said.

“What does it say?” The other officer asked.

The man with the note looked up gravely. “Go ahead, try and stop us. You’re all next.”

This was defiantly not just about Zach, Me of even Rapture. This was no longer a petty gang war. This was far beyond anything we could have imagined.

Pitch Black Heaven - © MemoriesdonoJustice / Rose Tonis 2009
♠ ♠ ♠
Who else just loves Ranger Bill? I think he's the cutest, ha ha.

I'd like to thank all the loyal readers for sticking with this story till number thirty! Give yourself a pat on the back :)

Thanks, Rose. Aka, MemoriesdonoJustice.