Status: I am writing as we speak. I've had writers block and struggled to refine the story for so long. I'm back though and a new chapter should be up by the end of the week

Pitch Black Heaven

Allies

I woke up extra early. Though I felt only half alive I was pretty sure it was only just past five in the morning. I dressed in mechanical like motions and dragged my body to the window, I went to shove it up but mom and Will had beat me to it. There was already a big, fat, shiny lock holding the window shut. I almost let loose and screamed till my lungs fell out my mouth but I clenched my first so tightly I was able to overcome my anger.

“Plan B.” I muttered through my teeth. I snuck out and down the hall to the top of the staircase, I peered down, the coast was clear. The front door was in full view and I could reach it if I ran really quietly. I placed one foot on the first step, and step by step I edged closer. Once I was half way down I broke out into a sprint rushing to turn the door handle. I shut the door behind me, I breathed heavily against the door listening for any sign they’d heard me. I turned around with relief.

“Going to say goodbye to Zach?” Moms voice startled me from the garden. She was bending over some rose bushes holding some large clippers in one hand and some weed killer in the other.

I groaned loudly. It was five in the morning, why the hell was she gardening? I can tell you why. She was keeping an eye on me. “Why? Please just tell me why you’re doing this to me mom?!”

She closed her big eyes lined by tiny creases that ageing had left. “Rhiannon, I’m doing what’s best for you.” She said, uncertainty leaking into her shaking tone. “You have one hour to see him and tell him goodbye. If you don’t come home I’ll call the police.” Though she seemed unsure I knew the warning was real. If she wouldn’t call the police, William would.

I dove my hands deep into my pockets and left without a sound. It was a chilly morning, looking around I could still she the tiny droplets of dew hanging from the tips of blades of grass. Now mom was awake it was okay to take my bike. I shoved the garage door up hastily and rolled the bike down to the side of the road.

I took one glance back at my mom who was still watching me closely. I turned away – instead looking at my feet as I swung one leg over the seat.

I couldn’t stand the betrayal I was feeling, it was bitter on my tongue.

I race away from mom in a cloud of smoke – I’d need to get the bike fixed up, it was pretty old.

I’d organized to meet with Zach down at Lake Saint Clair. I guess at the time it’d seemed appropriate but now it just hurt. We’d first fallen for each other there and now we would break apart at the very same place.

The blame all came down to Liam in the end. But how could I regret the last few months? How could I regret finding out about Liam’s past and now Liam’s secret crimes? How could I regret joining Rapture when in a way it had brought me Zach?

A loud whining siren was wailing nearby. Just as I was about to cross the intersection, speeding police cars followed by two ambulances came roaring down the highway cutting me off. I screamed as I hit the brakes, skidding sideways till the bike collapsed and stopped at the sidewalk just missing the convoy of emergency vehicles racing down the highway.

I breathed heavily and got to my feet. There was a huge but shallow gash down the side of my leg but that was the least of my worries. I knew where that convoy was heading. Another killing spree, more innocent’s dying. I was almost ready to follow the cars and see what was going on, but I needed to see Zach and be home in an hour.

Life apart from Rapture was going to be hard. I’d found my compassionate side and it would be hard to forget it and leave it in lying the dirt.

I got back on the bike ignoring the graze and raced towards the Lake in the distance. There was not need to stop and look around for Zach. I knew exactly where to go. I walked through the canopy of trees nervously, my fingers were trembling. The canopy of trees opened up to reveal the beautiful parkland. A lone boy’s silhouette on a park bench was all that captured my attention. Zach only took one look at my approach and rose from the seat, running to greet me.

He immediately held me in a tight embrace. “God Rhiannon, I’m so sorry.” He whispered in my ear.

I wrapped my arms around him securely. “It’s alright…” I said, my teeth were chattering.

“What did your mom say?” He asked softly. I felt him kiss my hair gently.

I looked down and pushed him away so I could see his angelic face. “Zach… mom is listening to William now. They won’t let me remain a part of rapture anymore, and worse…” I could barley swallow. I struggled to continue. “They won’t let me see you.

His relieved face became grief stricken. He parted his lips to speak but there was no sound. I stared at him waiting for something, for some sort of plan so we could be together again, anything. I didn’t care how stupid it was, I was prepared to try anything. “At all?” He breathed, not looking at me.

I nodded meekly.

“No, no, no, no…” He repeated over and over again. He pulled me close. His whole body was tense as he continued to repeat the word ‘no’ again and again.

“What do we do?” I asked holding his hands, refusing to let go.

He thought for a moment. “Can’t you just sneak out?”

I shook my head, despising William and the huge metal lock attached to my window. “They stuck a lock on my window…” I grumbled wishing I had a huge axe so I could get it off.

There was a long silence as we both tried to figure out what to do. The silence grew longer and my heart felt like it was slowly tightening, slowly caving in.

“You can run away, just until you can convince your mom to drop this rule.” Hope was rising in the depths of his eyes. I could see how desperate he was for a solution.

I know I’d said I was willing to try anything, but this I couldn’t do. “Zach, I can’t leave my mom, not with William and especially not with Liam prowling around. She’s the only family I have left. If something happened to her…” My voice seemed to deteriorate to nothing.

I felt Zach’s body slump beside me. “We’ll think of something…” He mombled into my hair.

I craned my neck, parting my lips and kissed him. He stood perfectly still not moving till I pulled away. I was a little confused at his reaction but I brushed it aside, we still had half an hour together.

“I need to go” He said suddenly.

My brow furrowed deeply. “What! Why?” I exclaimed, staggering back.

Zach turned to me. “Make sure your phone isn’t taken away, I’ll call you tonight.” He gave me no time to respond he was already running through the canopy of trees. “I love you!” He shouted, his voice disappeared with the wind that shook the bones of the trees around me.

As I walked home alone I hoped the sun would stay below the horizon just a little longer. I didn’t want the world to see me right now, I didn’t feel like me.

I got home to see mom and Will sitting on the porch – waiting for my obviously. “Good your back.” Will muttered. “Now go inside. You’re grounded.”

“You’re not my dad.” I sneered, my eyes narrowing to slits at the sight of his smirking figure. The rose from their chairs and followed me inside, watching at the foot of the stairs till they heard my door slam shut.

I went to turn on the TV. My first priority was to make sure Liam wasn’t causing more havoc. I flicked through the stations till I reached the local news. Instantly, pictures of police cars flooded around a crime scene flickered onto the screen. I sat in a silent awe just watching the death toll rising. Twenty one people so far, this was unacceptable. I exhaled sharply and fought tears.

A few months ago seeing this would have frightened me. Now all I wanted to do was stop it. I sat for over an hour just going back and forth between the news stations. Same old stories.

The door cracking open snapped me out of my black state of mind.

“Rhiannon, your tutor would like to speak to you.” Mom held out the phone.

Tutor? What tutor, I never hired one? I stared, puzzled, at the phone before taking it and holding it to my ear. Mom smiled faintly and left.

“Is your mom gone, just answer yes or no?” The man on the phone asked in a deep, rumbling voice.

I wasn’t sure if I should answer. I did anyway. “Yes.” I said quietly.

“This is Jeremy Blackwood the cop, I’ll make this quick. I need you and your boyfriend to meet with me in person immediately.”

“Listen Jeremy my mom and her new boyfriend won’t let me leave the house or get anywhere near Zach, I’m sorry…”

“Rhiannon listen to me, this isn’t a trap. It’s just me, you and your boyfriend discussing something very important, no police I swear. I’ll make a deal with you, if you help me with this I’ll make sure you and that gang of yours will make it off the wanted list. Just come meet with me.”

I sat deliberating, Jeremy waited patiently. “I swear to god if this is a trick we’ll take you down… Where and when.”

He laughed huskily. “Today at Lake Side Dinning, by Lakes St Clair. One o’clock. I’ll deal with the adults.” With that he hung up.

Only then did I start second guessing my decision. What if it was a trap and what if the police would pounce any moment, Jeremy had kept his mouth shut for now, but what if he’d changed his mind?

~

“You never told me you got yourself a tutor?” Mum remarked in the car on the way to the lake.

“Well I’ve been so busy I thought I needed some help to make sure I get good scores and graduate.” I lied smiling as convincingly as I could manage. The impending regret was killing me. I hope I’d made the right decision

“I’m proud of you, taking responsibility.” She looked back at me and grinned. It was the first proper smile she’d given me in days, it actually had emotion.

We pulled up a few blocks away from the restaurant. I peered up ahead and saw Jeremy sitting on a bench outside the shop.

“Rhiannon I putting my trust in you today, if I find out that you’re actually sneaking out with Zach I won’t let you leave the house without me again.

I looked down trying to hide the guilt in my eyes. “I’m not mum. I just really want to make sure I get good scores for my exams.”

She nodded with a smile. “Alright, off you go. I’ll pick you up right here at three.”

“Alright mom, see you later.” I pecked her on the cheek and pushed the car door open. I waved as she drove away. I wasn’t lying per say, I wasn’t running off with Zach to be exact.

I waited till the car was completely out of sight before approaching Jeremy.

“Jeremy.” I said acknowledging him.

He replied with a nod. “Where is your boyfriend?”

“He’ll be here soon… Let me remind you if this is a trick you’d better hope we don’t escape…”

“I assure you this is no trick.” He surprised me with a genuine smile, not the brittle one he’d given me a time before. Just in time, Zach’s black Camero pulled up across the road.

He sprinted over and swept me up into his arms. I hugged him tightly. “I got out.” I said cheerfully through my teeth. He placed me back on my feet and we both turned to Jeremy who was watching our exchange with a blank expression.

“Please, come with me.” He waved his hand, letting us enter the restaurant first. “Lunch, my shout.” He said as we arrived at the counter. We took some seats in the corner of the room overlooking the lake. A waiter came to serve us immediately. Once he was off with our orders Jeremy was quick to the point.

“I’m sure you both want to know why I’ve asked you to see me.” He said, eyes darting from me to Zach. “We both want the same thing to see…”

I frowned. “And that is…?” I wondered.

“We both want Liam gone.”

That sparked my enthusiasm. I looked at him eagerly.

“Well okay then, go on.” Zach pushed laughing.

“I need your help… Liam wants to take something from me, the last important thing I have left.” His eyes became full of love, something that seemed so out of place in a man like him.

My brows pulled together. “And what is this ‘important’ thing?”

For a while I wasn’t sure he was going to tell us, he just stared at eyes, eyes firmly fixed on ours. “Clarissa.” He called.

A small girl sitting at a table a few places away walked towards us and into Jeremy’s arms. My jaw faltered before slowly lowering till my mouth was a small O.

“This is my daughter Clarissa.” The corners of Clarissa’s mouth turned up to form a shy smile as her dad introduced her. “… And Carmen’s.” He added, pulling Clarissa closer.

I struggled to find words. All I could think about was Liam, the man responsible for her death. “Carmen is your w-wife…? Y-you have a daughter…?” I stuttered.

“Yes.” Jeremy said simply.

Zach looked to me then Jeremy. “So that means Liam killed her moth-”

Jeremy was quick to interject “Quiet!” He nodded at Clarissa with pursed lips. “

“Oh, sorry.” Zach apologized.

“And yes, he did.”

There was a long silence. Liam was responsible for the death of Carmen. Clarissa had no mom because of him. “Why does Liam want her?” I asked, breaking the silence.

“He knows I know too much, he wants to scare me into silence. I received this letter last week.” Jeremy pulled an envelope from his pocket and pushed it across the table.

I let Zach open it. Heads together, we began reading.

Jeremy Blackwood,
I know who you are, and I know what you know.
I suggest you keep your mouth shut or your won’t see another day.
That’s right, I know a lot about you too Mr. Blackwood.
One word to the cops and I will find you, and your daughter and I will deal with you personally.
L. Balker.

Zach folded the letter and tucked it back in the envelope. He handed it back to Jeremy. “What exactly do you want us to do about this?”

“Zach, I know all about you and your past. You and your gang know allot about Liam, more about him than I do. Rhiannon he is your brother, of course you have information we can use to take him down for good. I will get your records clear, and I will get you kids off the wanted list in exchange for you help. If you do this you’ll be saving lives, you’ll be saving my little girl.”

I immediately looked to Zach, his expression was approving. “Can we have a minute?” Zach asked, not breaking eye contact.

“Sure.” Jeremy agreed, leaving the table.

“I think we can trust him…” I whispered nodding my head continuously.

Zach bit his lip. “Yeah I agree but I don’t know what the others will think, I don’t think they’ll want to work beside a cop who could put us all away for life if we make the wrong move.”

“Zach Liam killed his wife, the love of his life and now he’s threatening to kill his daughter. I don’t think he’s going to turn on us, he’s right, we all want the same thing – Liam put away for good – he’s trying to save he’s daughter, he needs us, I just know this isn’t a trap.”Zach was deep in thought. I squeezed his hand in encouragement. “C’mon Zach, he’ll clear our records, we can have normal lives again!”

He squeezed my hand back and smiled. “Well I don’t think we can get in anymore trouble, let’s do it.”

I grinned and looked to Jeremy sitting with Clarissa. She was so young, so innocent. She didn’t deserve to die. Jeremy saw my stare and came over immediately.

“So what’s the verdict?”

“We’ll do it.”

~

“You can’t just make decisions for the group!” Aaron shouted. “That man couldn’t solve my dad’s case. He won’t be able to help us with this one!

“Liam killed his wife and wants his daughter, he has unlimited background information on Liam and his gang and he wants to help us, how can you even consider turning that down?!” Zach replied looking completely outraged that he could even consider saying no.

“Ugh, how can we trust him, after we help him he could turn on us, then what?!”

Scarlett butted in. “I think we should accept the offer, it would be an amazing help to finally have someone on our side

“Bring him in.” Aaron ordered, collapsing in his seat frustrated.

Jeremy entered the warehouse looking extremely timid. Every pair of eyes were fixed on him.

Aaron didn’t wait for an introduction. “What makes you think you can help us? You couldn’t even solve my dad’s murder!”

Jeremy showed no intimidation. “Aaron we knew it was Liam… we knew it a long time ago. I remember that case and I knew about you, you disappeared after you mom died…”

Aaron’s fury disappeared. I could see it in his eyes – he wanted to know more. “What do you know Blackwood?”

A smirk spread across his face. “I have all the details on every single one of your cases right on my front step, all of you. If you agree to work with me to take you down Liam, I will give you access to them.

Every face in the room lit up behind the sullen mask. “Aaron, we can trust him.” Marcus whispered. They all wanted the information Jeremy had, the deal was done. Aaron couldn’t deny the whole gang, he was out numbers.

“Fine then, it’s a deal. You help us, we help you.”

Jeremy held out his hand. Aaron stared at before reluctantly shaking it.

“Now let’s take that bastard down!” Aaron cheered.

Pitch Black Heaven - © MemoriesdonoJustice / Rose Tonis 2009
♠ ♠ ♠
Pitch Black Heaven is heading towards the end, dun dun dun!

Thanks, MemoriesdonoJustice. Aka, Rose.