‹ Prequel: Dazed and Abused
Status: Right now I'm going through a major writer's block when it comes to any of my stories. Just hold on tight.

Vermilion

2

Everything was absolutely beautiful. People’s eyes began to tear up, and after the bride and groom kissed, people stood to clap. Jacob was hesitant though to stand with me, as tears of happiness were climbing down my cheeks. I’m very sentimental.

When it came time for the big after party, did my stomach finally flip out and it felt as if I was hungry, but I was smart enough to know that I wasn’t. I had stuffed myself full of fruit loops before Alice came to pretty me up this morning, and I know I’m still full. But its the feeling that something bad was going to happen, and hopefully not another crazy vampire attack that lead somebody I love to be amputated.

Which reminds me, Jacob didn’t tell me how I looked. Oh well, I suppose he has other things besides me on his mind at the moment. Like Bella, for instances. I almost feel like I shouldn’t even act like we’re a couple with him right now, considering all he’s done is stare at the two of them like he’s missing out. Which is bullshit, absolute bullshit.

I let my hand fall away from his, noticing that he wasn’t even holding my hand anymore, so without his notice, I walked away to find somebody more worthy of company. Somebody that would act like a better boyfriend then he was right now.

“Emmy-poo!” I yelled slightly, holding my arms out wide as the big teddy bear named Emmet Cullen scooped me up in a bone crushing hug.

“How have you been, Elaine?” He asked me, and I frowned in response, and gave Jacob’s direction a look.

“I could really be better…” I let my voice trail off, feeling Emmy’s big hand rub my back. I smiled up at him, thankful for the comfort.

“It’s really wrong that I have to fight for his attention right now. And I understand it’s Bella’s wedding but he shouldn’t feel depressed about her getting married.”

“No, he really shouldn’t. He has you.” Emmet seemed a bit angry now at Jacob, like I was feeling moments ago. But now I’m more sad then frustrated, feeling like I don’t even belong here. That only added to the bad feeling I was getting before, which worsened as Emmet’s hand left my back and he walked past me. I gasped, knowing what he was going to do. Confront Jacob.

“Emmet, no!” I whispered harshly, people around staring at me strangely as I tried to grab a hold of his arm to stop him from making the biggest mistake of this evening. And I realize that, if I didn’t try harder, my stomach might as well explode as I saw what my tummy was telling me. Jacob’s misplaced depression, Emmet’s anger, and soon maybe the whole party will be involved.

I stopped mid-way towards Jacob, refusing to be a part of this, and running on my toes to the farthest corner I was allowed, but still able to see Emmet pull a fast one on Jacob. A big swipe to his arm, and Jacob looked rather offended, that his day just couldn’t get any worse. Well, I could sense that it was about to, but I wasn’t going to do anything to stop it.

Emmet was speaking to Jacob, almost harshly it seemed, his jaw moving and his lips moving to fast for me to really read what he was saying. But then they both look over at me, and my eyes widen with fear. Jacob looks almost as angry as Emmet, but for different reasons.

Then Edward gets involved, and I see Edward come towards them and probably ask what’s wrong. Then Emmet let’s it slip, and I scoot closer to catch what he’s saying. I scoot much closer.

“Jacob shouldn’t be here. He’s breaking Elaine’s heart by loathing over you and Bella. It’s absolutely disgusting.” Emmet spats, the first time I saw that teddy bear get angry. It almost seems a worthless case now, the guilt replacing the bad feeling I had earlier. It’s too late to save the situation.

“Jacob, is that true?” Edward gave a glance in my direction, noticing I was hiding behind a group of people that were engrossed in a less then intriguing conversation.

Jacob looked like a deer in headlights, probably as a response to Edward’s question, and immediately Edward set off. Grabbing Jacob’s collar he pressed his face close to his, making everyone gasp.

“What gives you the right to act like that, Jacob? When you know full well that you should be in love with Elaine right now? You imprinted. A strong bond. Don’t tell me that your trying to push her away.” I watched Jacob swallow as Edward lectures him, yelling in his face, making the place dead silent.

“Edward, what are you doing?” I heard Bella ask, and then she looks at me, then at Jacob, and her eyes widen. How come everyone is so quick to get this? Like its the most obvious thing in the world.

“I think its best you leave.” I barely heard that as I made my way through the house, Alice following me, calling my name, for me to stay while Jacob leaves. But no, I need to leave. Jacob too. But I can’t stay there and know that this is all my fault, that I’m the one to blame. Because I couldn’t have just lied to Emmet, instead I had to hint at how broken hearted I felt because of Jacob’s actions.

“Oh, fuck.” I choked out as tears blurred my vision, keeping me from making a clear exit when I almost knocked myself out, via the door. And then I’m tripping over the stairs as my heart swells and aches with pain. I hope Jacob can feel his stupidity through me.

I quickly throw open the door to my car, catching Jacob’s figure running towards me, but I almost make a speedy exit if it weren’t for my trembling hands fumbling with the keys. Not so soon he was sitting in the car, refusing to leave me alone. So I pull out of the Cullen’s place, and I’m on the road again, feeling worse then I did earlier, but a bit better then I did months ago. I just can’t back track. I need to remember that.

“Elaine, I’m-“

“Safe it!” I screamed, my fingers clenching either the steering wheel or the stick shift, my anger building.

I told myself I wasn’t going to let this build up inside of me. But I can’t help it now.

“What’s wrong with you, Jacob?” I ask, not really thinking about what’s coming out of my mouth, but not feeling sorry for it either. I will later though.

“What do you mean? How can you ask that? There’s nothing wrong with me. There’s something wrong with you!”

“Fuck you, Jacob! I should have just left you home!”

“She’s the only one that makes me sad! You need to understand that.” I look at him dumbfounded by his words, how they just slipped out, how they hurt me.

“Wh-what? And I never made you sad? Not when all those times I fucking hurt myself, not when I fucking disappeared for two fucking years?” I asked him, feeling to sick to really drive, but I kept my foot on the peddle.

“No. You made me angry because I thought you were a dumb girl for the shit that you did.”

“That’s it!” I slammed on the breaks, stalling the car as I did so, sending his torso towards the dashboard, and then I pulled my leg over the seats and kicked him in the sides. “Get out of my fucking car, you are running your stupid fucking self back home!”

He slammed the door shut and then leaned into the window, about ready to say something that I know he’d regret. So I quickly started the car back up again and made a quick escape before he could let the thoughtless remark leave his mouth.