Full Mental Case

First Day On The Job

All my life, from the time I was a little girl. I wanted to help people. When I was four my parents brought me a doctor's kit. I would play doctor giving my dollies medicine, and nursing my teddies back to health. By the time I was in middle school. I was able to comfort my friends including my teachers. Whenever they had a bad day I would say a few comforting words. I was a people person. Not afraid to get close to someone I didn't know.

When I graduated from high school. I knew what I wanted to do with my life. I started out college to become a doctor. But dropped out after one year. Everyone was too competitive and almost no one cared about what they were learning they just wanted the grades. So I tried for a simpler carrier choice. A nurse. So a nurse isn't that simple since they're the ones that run the hospital. While the doctor's told everyone else what to do the nurses did the dirty work so to speak.

The best part about becoming a nurse is that I got out of school early instead of eight to ten years I was out in two. Plus I got a paid internship. Something that was almost as unexpected as the place I would be interning. Of all places a mental rehabilitation center. I know what you're thinking. Are you crazy? Don't you know what happens in a mental ward. I don't and that's the exciting part.

I'm on my own in this world an exciting prospect. Besides the pay is very nice and since I'm on my own I feel like I can do anything and plus I'm making a difference. If I can make one person's stay a little less bad then that will be okay with me.

My first week on the internship and I was trying my best to get use to the atmosphere I was in.

"Ahhhh!" Someone screamed slamming into the window of their room. I jumped.

"Frightened?" my trainer asked.

"No, just a little jumpy. I'm really excited about working here." I said to her.

"Don't be no one lasts longer than a week. If you feel like leaving now you're free." she said.

I smiled and shook my head.

"I'll work hard to help anyone." I said.

She smiled at me.

"You got confidence. Hopefully I can break you." she said and walked ahead of me.

I swallowed hard and kept up behind her.

"This is the nurses' station. We tend to stay here until doctor calls for us." she said.

"Where is everyone?" I asked her.

"We are everyone. This is the night shift. It's usually quieter. Feel free to look around." she said to me.

I walked behind the counter similar to the desks at a hospital. There were three computers, chairs, and loads of folders, clip boards and so on. I saw my Trainer Maribeth grabbing her purse out of the cabinet.

"Where are you going?" I asked her.

"Take a smoke want to join me?" she asked pulling out her pack of Newport.

"I don't smoke." I said to her smiling.

"You'll start. I'll be back in fifteen call me if anything goes down." she said and walked out.

I looked around and smiled. It was heaven to me behind this desk. I felt like I was going to be a great inspiration to the patients. I took a seat on one of the chairs and spun around in it. So my trainer wasn't really training me but that didn't mean I couldn't have any fun.

I pulled myself up to the computer and moved the mouse. I pulled up a solitaire game and started to play. I was on my tenth round and still no Maribeth. She must've gone home or something. She was an older employee so I guess she had that kind of right. At that moment I heard a weird swooshing sound. I got up and looked over the counter and saw a very young good looking guy sweeping up the floor.

"Hi." I said.

He looked up and seemed startled.

"Hello." he said.

I bit my bottom lip.

"I'm Addy and you are?" I asked.

"It's Chace." he said.

"Nice to meet you. I'm guessing, my trainer is gone." I said sitting back looking at the computer scene and sighing.

Chace walked towards me placing his broom on the side of the counter.

"What are you doing, all alone?" he asked me.

"Just, playing some computer games." I said.

"Oh." he said staring at me. I was beginning to feel uncomfortable.

"So, how long have you been here?" I asked him.

His eyes seemed to move up towards my face.

"A while." he said.

"I bet you see a lot of exciting stuff." I said.

"Nothing I've never seen before." he said and smiled.

I looked back at the computer screen.

"Really?" I asked him.

"Really. I got to get back to work, maybe we can talk later?" he asked me.

"Sure." I said and nodded.

He walked away pushing his broom. I looked up to see him walk by a window, but all I saw was the broom being pushed. I raised an eyebrow and shook my head.

"I just need some sleep." I said and sighed.