Full Mental Case

Day Shift

"Good morning." I said to the teen girl sitting at the table by herself staring out the window.

I took a seat next to her.

"How are you, what's your name?" I asked her.

"I don't have one." she said.

"I don't believe that." I said to her.

"Don't talk to me like I'm a little kid." she said.

"Well then tell me your name." I said to her.

"Ally." she said.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Addy." I said.

"Yeah, now can you go away now?" she asked.

"Why do you want to get rid of me so fast?" I asked her.

"I don't like it here, I don't like the people here, and I don't like you." she said.

I looked down at her wrist.

"What happened?" I asked her.

She saw where I was looking. She rubbed the bandages.

"I cut myself. Who cares?" she asked.

"Why?" I ask her.

"Man, can you leave me alone?" she asked getting up and walking away.

I sighed. So much for changing the world. I pulled myself from the table and looked up and saw a pair of dark brown eyes staring at me. A frail looking man wearing glasses looked at me and then looked away. I got up and walked towards him.

"Good morning." I said to him.

"Please don't." he said shaking his head.

"What's wrong looks like you seen a ghost." I said to him and sat down.

He started to laugh.

"I've seen them before and looked back at me cleared his throat and pushed his glasses back.

"So what's your name?" I asked him resting my fingers on my laps.

"You don't need to know that." he said and began to hug his knees.

"Is everyone against me knowing their names?" I asked him smiling.

"Greg. My name is Greg." he said.

"Well nice to meet you Greg... hey your name sounds familiar." I said to him.

He sighed. "It's Gregory." he said.

"Gregory." I said his name made me think back to the last week.

"I-I'm really truly sorry for hurting you. I didn't mean to honestly." he said shaking his head briskly.

I grabbed his hand and pat it.

"It's okay. I was more worried than frightened." I said to him.

"I know you're lying." he said.

"I was a little frightened. What happened to you anyway?" I asked him pulling my hand away.

He shook his head.

"You don't want to know." he said to me.

"You're twenty-five and really active. But here you are. It's okay to tell me. I mean it's not like they're going to throw you into a badder hospital." I said to him.

"I've been through two already. It started on my trip to France." he said.

I listened to him as he told the the story.

"I was biking with one of my friends who moved there. We were just racing each other at the time. When we got lost and was off the trail. It got real dark, really dark. The only light was from the full moon but that was shielded by clouds at the time. I suggested we try to retrace our steps. He suggested we keep riding until we got somewhere familiar. It wasn't until we heard a loud long chorus of howls. One after the other. We freaked out. It wasn't long before the thing doing the howling showed itself." he said staring off into space.

"What happened?" I asked him leaning forward.

"I was attacked by it." he said.

"What happened to your friend?" I asked him.

"He was killed, blood, guts, gory scene." he said.

I frowned.

"I'm sorry that must've been traumatic for you." I said sadly.

"It wasn't the half of it. A month later, exactly twenty-eight days later. I started to get sick. First, there was the full moon. After I saw it. I started to change." he said.

"Change?" I asked him raising my eyebrows.

"Yes I..." one of the day shift nurses came up to Gregory.

"Time to go to sleep." she said to him.

He sighed and got up. Then he looked back at me.

"Stay clear of the full moon. And I'm sorry again." he said and walked away. The nurse following close behind him.

The room grew empty and I sat on the couch thinking about Gregory what he said. I checked my watch and then I felt someone next to me. I turned and nearly jumped out of my skin.

"Chace." I said holding my chest.

He was sipping on a coke.

"Yep." he said and looked at me.

"How did you, I didn't even see you come in here." I said to him getting up.

"I'm on break. How about you?" he asked.

"Getting ready to go, it's getting late." I said to him.

"I just got in a few minutes ago. I usually take a break before getting to work." he said.

"What do you do in the day time?" I ask him.

"Get some sleep that kind of stuff." he said.

"Oh well, that's good." I said to him.

"Yeah, have a good night." he said to me.

"You too." I said.

"I miss you on the night shift." he said.

I stopped and turned around.

"Yeah, miss you too." I said and smiled.

He nodded and went back to his soda. I grabbed my bag and walked out of the hospital. I was walking to my car when I felt a cold chill coming from the parking lot. I stopped and looked around. I felt like someone was watching me somehow. Once I got to my car. I was pushed into it. I stumbled and turned around.

"What the..." I started.

A man I didn't know held my mouth and shushed me. I tried to scream but he held me mouth tighter. I thought he was going to break my jaw.

"You, know, you look good enough to eat." he said to me.

I tried to fight him. He leaned in and he pulled back and gagged.

"Oh, you're a..." I saw a fist hit him across the face and he fell to the ground.

My mouth was set free and I gasped and looked to see the person who punched him.

"Chace, how did you..." I started.

"I was coming for a smoke and saw him. Go." he said to me.

"Are you okay?" I asked him.

He held his hand.

"It stings leave now." he said to me.

I got into my car and didn't stop for no one. I drove like crazy. Looking at my rear view but seeing no Chace and my attacker was nowhere to be seen.