Status: This story has been completed.

Deadwood

Chilly Reminder

After I calmed myself down a bit, I sat heavily back on my bed. It was three in the morning. I cradled my head in my hands, nursing a growing headache. What the hell was happening to me? What did I do to deserve this?

I felt bone tired. It would have been nice to talk to someone about it, but who? Even if I didn’t have suspicions about Oliver, it was way too early in the morning. And if I tried to talk to Mom, she’d probably pack us up and leave right now. A groan escaped my lips as I thought about what to do.

The memories aren’t very pleasant, are they?” A sympathetic voice interrupted my angry inner ranting.

I shot off my bed like I’d been electrified, looking wildly at my mirror. Thomas was there, a little clearer around the edges. It seemed like the more I remembered and saw of him, the more defined his shadow became. Curiously I wondered what I’d see when everything was finally remembered and out in the open. “No, they’re not,” I said miserably. “I’d really like them to stop, actually.”

The shadow moved, and I heard a great, unearthly sigh. “I am sorry, love. Now that it’s begun, there’s no reversing it. This is supposed to happen. No one can stop it. You just have to endure, love. It will all be over soon.

“I’ll know who the killer is, won’t I?” I asked grimly, not waiting for a response. “And what exactly am I supposed to do with that information? Everyone who was around back then is dead. Some more than others.” I mumbled the last part, subconsciously touching my neck.

It must have been my imagination, because it looked like Thomas actually reached out of the mirror for a moment. But I blinked and shook my head, and he was still on the other side. “Because those bodies may be gone, but the souls behind them are not. You must remember, so you can keep history from repeating itself.”

“Thomas, this is crazy. I’m still just a kid.” I said. “How am I supposed to prevent anything? And worse, how am I supposed to do it alone? I had Oliver, but then the way you were hinting at who he might be…it got me paranoid.”

Then I looked at him suspiciously. “You weren’t…lying were you? About knowing Oliver? Because you sure seemed upset that I had brought a guy along with me to the house. And now I‘m pretty paranoid about him.”

The figure folded smoky arms. “No, I wasn’t lying. I know him, as he knows me. Although he may not realize that yet, or particularly want to think about it.” Thomas admitted. “But never the less, you shouldn’t be alone with him. He is dangerous, whether he realizes that or not. It‘s a good thing to be cautious around him.”

“Still…”I trailed off thoughtfully. “He really does seem like a gentleman. And before you put the idea in my head, I felt safe with him.”

I only told you to protect you. Don’t be fooled by the acts others can so easily put on.” Thomas said solemnly. “I only want you safe, Alice. So that we can finally be together again, after all these years.”

A chill ran up my spine, the hairs on the back of my neck standing straight up. I took a deep breath, trying not to get angry. Because the truth was, I was a little scared. “Thomas, look. It’s really sweet of you and all, but I don’t have feelings like that for you. Even if I am Alice reincarnated or whatever. I’m…my own person. And I’ll choose who I want to be with.”

The shadowy head just shook in silent amusement. “No matter. In the end you will come to me. Everything will play out the way it should have.”

Before I could spit out an angry reply, he was gone. Massaging my temples, I cursed silently him for making my headache worse. I also vowed never to get changed in my bedroom again if he could show up in my mirror whenever he felt like it. That was definitely a little unsettling.

But I guess it was sort of sweet that he was looking out for me. Right? I laid back down on my bed, staring irritably at the ceiling., willing answers to come to me. Though I had experienced the murder of Alice Quinn happening, I had not been permitted to see the face of the killer. I felt sure she had seen it, but perhaps it wasn’t yet time for me to see that.

My thoughts turned once more to Oliver. Despite Thomas’ warnings and the idea that I had come up with on my own, I felt so bad about ditching him earlier in the evening. After all the stuff I’d gotten him into, all the times I recruited him for his help during these weird happenings. He had stuck by my side through it all, even though he could have been hanging out with other, normal girls and enjoying his summer.

I glanced idly over at the clock, and then at the calendar. Again I sat straight up, eyes wide open. A thick red pen had circled a certain date, which was three days away, numerous times. It was my birthday, Alice’s birthday; and the anniversary of her death.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about how short this chapter is. It was mostly just filler, to set up the next chapter.

And the story is drawing to a close. It's pretty short, but I never meant it to be long. So I hope I end it in a satisfying way for you awesome readers out there. :]