Cats and Dogs

Chapter 2

“Come on, you never answered my question!” James whined to Lily when Lily and I began to climb the stairs to the girls dorm.

“Can you please do that stare thing again?” Lily asked, turning to me.

I smiled, “Just go upstairs, I’ll talk to him.”

She bit her lip, a bit unsure, but then nodded and went up stairs and I turned to James who was glaring at me. I raised an eyebrow as I walked over to him, “Sit.” I ordered.

“What? No! I’m not some dog-”

I pushed him causing him to fall back and sit down on the sofa. “Look,” I began taking a seat next to him. “I know you really like Lily-”

“Well, state the obvious much?” Sirius interjected. “Everyone knows that.”

“Either shut him up, or I promise you, you will never date Lily in your life.” I stated to James. He quickly turned to Sirius who was leaning casually against the wall by the stairs to the boys dorm and James shot him that nastiest glare and Sirius raised his hands up in defense.

He turned back to me, “Go on.”

“I mean really like her. Not just be with her for a while and then move on, but want to be with her as much as humanly possible.” James nodded slightly. “But, I don’t think she knows that. She thinks you just want to use her for a while and then move on.”

“No! I wouldn’t do that to her! Why would she think that?” he asked.

“Maybe that’s because that’s what your best mate does.” I said honestly.

“Hey! What I do with my love life does not concern you!” Sirius yelled as he pushed himself off of the wall and glared down at me.

“Anyways,” I said turning back to James, “You and Sirius have a lot in common, from what I could tell from dinner. So, because Sirius just throws himself-”

“I do not throw myself at girls!” Sirius exclaimed.

“Right, girls and guys.” I said a smirk on my full lips.

His eyes widened as James let out a laugh, “Who the hell do you think you are?!” Sirius yelled. “You’ve just been here for a few hours and you’re acting like you run the place!”

“What should I say? I’m very outgoing.” I said, my voice dripping with venom and slight sarcasm.

“Ugh! You’re infuriating!” He yelled glaring at me.

“And your repulsive, so please will you just shut up and leave!” I ordered.

“Okay, okay! Calm down, everyone!” James said as he stood up looking back between Sirius and I. He looked down at me, “I think I understand what your saying… thank you, for believing my feelings for Lily are true.” I nodded as I stood.

“Alright, good night James.” I said as I walked past him.

“Goodnight.” he replied.

“What’s your problem with Sirius?” Lily asked as we walked to our first class Potions, with Professor Slughorn.

I shrugged and then frowned slightly, “I don’t know, honestly. There is just something about him that just doesn’t sit right with me.” I looked at Lily through the corner of my eye. “What’s your problem with James?”

Her head snapped to me and her eyes were wide. “How can you ask that? You’ve seen what he’s like.”

“Yeah, like a puppy chasing after a bone.” I mumbled. “It’s almost painful to watch.” I said honestly.

“Well, who’s side are you on?” She asked, a hint of anger in her voice.

I laughed lightly, “No one’s… It’s just… Have you taken a good look at him when he’s talking to you? Or trying to get your attention? I mean a really good look - in his eyes! You’ll see it, but only if you actually pay attention or try.”

“Well, I don’t want to try!” She said, her voice rising.

I smiled and stopped right outside the entrance. Lily stopped with a huff, blowing some strands of her red hair out of her face. “Fine, but it wont be my problem.” I turned and began to walk into the class, “you’ll have to deal with breaking his heart.” I mumbled, though I knew she heard me.

I sat down at one of the empty tables and Lily quietly sat next to me. James was seated next to Sirius across the room from us and Remus and their quiet friend Peter were seated behind them. James looked back and stared momentarily at Lily and then looked to me, a slightly worried expression on his face. I held up my pointer finger as I pulled out my quill and a piece of parchment.

‘I tried talking to her. She’s very stubborn.’ I wrote and then put a charm on it so it turned into a paper bird and flew over to James.

He quickly grabbed it and unfolded it and then read it. Quickly he began to write and I saw Sirius turn back and look at me with a raised eyebrow. ‘What?’ I mouthed with a mean glare.

He quickly returned my glare and turned back around and grumbled something to James. James then sent the note back to me. I quickly reached up and grabbed it and opened it and read:

‘I know! That’s actually one of the many things I like about her…’ I could feel the smile radiating off the paper and I smiled.

‘Trust me, she’ll warm up to you. Just remember what I told you last night.’ I wrote before sending the note to James.

He read it and turned back to me and smiled. He then looked at Lily and his eyes widened. I turned and looked at her and my eyes widened.

She looked angry and sad, and looked like she was about to cry at any moment. “Lily?” I whispered because Slughorn had just entered and began to talk about what we were going to do in class today.

“I can move you know. To give you and James some privacy. Would you like him and I to switch seats?” she said quickly but their was a hint of something in her voice I did not expect.

Jealousy.

She must think James and I were writing some kind of love or flirty notes to each other. I let out a quiet laugh, “On the contrary! I want you and him to sit with each other. Why so angry? You wouldn’t happen to have feelings for Potter, now would you?”

“No. Just, forget it, okay? I just- Ugh, I - I’m confused, okay?!”

“Miss. Evans?” Professor Slughorn said as he looked down over his glasses at Lily and I. “You are confused about the ingredients for this potion? Or confused about the new seating arrangement I am about to assign?”

“What?” I asked, confused.

“I am happy you are helping our new student and getting to know her, but during a lecture, Miss. Evans? Miss. Moody? I would expect better from you.” he sighed, “Mr. Pettigrew, switch places with Miss. Moody please.”

I sighed and then grumbled nothing in particular as I got up and got my things and switched with Peter. I sighed as I sat down next to Remus and he turned and smiled lightly at me. “Getting switched seats on a first day? Not a very good first impression.” Remus whispered as Slughorn continued with whatever he had been talking about.

I smiled lightly and brushed some stray hairs behind my ear, “Well, I’m not that good at first impressions-”

“Don’t have to say that twice.” Sirius whispered, though loud enough for me to hear.

I glared at the back of his head, “but, I grow on people rather quickly.”

“Oh, like cancer!” Sirius said turning back to me with a smile on his lips.

“Mr. Black!” Professor yelled, annoyance and outrage in his voice. “Detention!”

I laughed as Sirius turned around with his mouth gaping and his eyes wide as he looked up at Slughorn. “But, sir-!”

“Silence, please.” Slughorn cried and he then turned to me, “you too, Miss. Moody. Detention, both of you with Filch after your classes.”

My eyes widened and I heard Sirius give out a laugh that sounded more like a howl and I continued to glare at the back of his head.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so two updates in one day?!
Rare, so don't get used to it!!
^^

Alright, peace!