Cats and Dogs

Chapter 30

Okay if you want, here is some music I listened to while writing this chapter.
Uno
Dose
Tres

Chapter 30

“I’m going to get him back. I want him dead, James.”
“He is, Sirius. He is dead.” James was fuming. A boiling rage was building inside him. Even through all the shit Snape and him had been in, he never would in a million years think that Snape would actually curse Lily.
Sirius would only take side glances at Amilia who was currently laying unconscious in the hospital wing. The curse Snape used was new and unknown, so Madam Pomfrey couldn’t even heal all of them completely. She had several bandages on her body and a few fresh, pink scars here and there and Sirius clenched his jaw and looked away from her.
He hated seeing her like this. He hated that he wasn’t there to protect her. He hated that she wouldn’t let him protect her. He knew she felt she didn’t need protecting, and maybe she doesn’t. Sirius knew how strong and powerful she was, but still, she had blind spots and people can always use help; even Amilia.
The door to the Hospital Wing opened and in walked Professor Dumbledore in long, dark purple robes and a deep green wizard’s hat. James and Sirius’s demeanor changed; James became a bit humbled and relaxed by Dumbledore’s presence but Sirius became alert, curious, and impatient.
“How is Lily, Professor, sir?” James asked with concern.
“We have finished questioning her and sent her off to bed. It has been a very long day and she seemed very tired. But, I believe she will be quite fine, Mr. Potter.” Dumbledore reached Amilia’s bedside and gently took her hand into his and patted it lightly. “I have also spoken with Madam Pomfrey. The spell that Mr. Snape used is unique and tricky. She was only able to fully heal the less threatening ones, while the others have become scars and some will heal over time. But, Amilia is a very strong, young woman, and I, too, believe she will be fine, if that comforts you at all, Sirius?”
“No. It doesn‘t. You just told me something I already know. I want to know what is going to happen to the ones who did this to her.” Sirius said in a demanding voice that even surprised James who looked up at Sirius with a slightly shocked expression.
Dumbledore, on the other hand, did not seem surprised in the least at Sirius’s behavior and in fact, was expecting it. “You wish to know of their punishments, I assume.”
Yes.” Sirius stated through gritted teeth.
“I was, unfortunately, unable to find out who it was that placed the Imperious Curse on Ms. Evans so, I am sorry to say, that there is no one I can punish for that.”
James’s eyes widened as an angry heat filled his blood, “What?!” he snapped. “No one is being punished?! But we know who did it! It was Snape!”
“I am sorry, James, but we do not have any proof that would lead to that conclusion. Lily does not remember who it was who cursed her and seemed almost adamant that it was not Severus.”
“Fine. We didn’t get Snape for that, but look at what he did to Amilia! He did this to her! He must’ve been expelled for this!” Sirius barked, fuming at the fact that Snape was able to wiggle his way out of punishment from cursing Lily.
“At this, we have faced yet another problem.” Dumbledore gently placed down Amilia’s hand and looked at her face for a moment with a sympathetic look, then looked back up at Sirius. “Those who fought her shall be serving detention as punishment-”
“What about Snape?! I want to know what is going to happen to him!” Sirius was demanded ferociously.
“He will be serving a much longer detention than the rest-”
WHAT?! Detention?! That’s-that’s-” Sirius was unable to finish. His anger seemed to be seizing over his brain. All he wanted to do was hurt Snape.
“I am very sorry. But it was Amilia who engaged them in the fight. She was the first to draw her wand and cast a spell-”
“Fine.” Sirius spat. “Forget it.” Sirius turned away from Dumbledore and looked at James, with dark gray eyes that were clouded with anger. “Let’s go.”

~~~

I slowly opened my eyes and was relieved when I wasn‘t blinded by sunlight but instead a soft glow from the full moon. I wasn’t sure what exact time it was or even what day it was. I wasn’t sure at all how long I was unconscious. I slowly sat up and looked around the empty Hospital Wing and then looked down at my arms. There were a few new scars on them and a bandage was wrapped around my right upper-arm and I winced when I poked it. I threw the covers off of me and slowly placed my feet on the cool stone floor.
The memories of what happened all flooded back to me and I felt my anger returning. I stood up and picked up my wand that was on the night stand by my bed and quickly shuffled my way out of the Hospital Wing before Madam Pomfrey could come out of her office and stop me.
The halls were empty and I quickly made my way to the Gryffindor Tower. I had to talk to Lily. I needed to see if she was okay and what happened to Snape.
To be honest, I was a bit surprised none of my friends were there waiting for me to wake up. They were always there the several other times I ended up in the Hospital Wing.
I couldn’t help but think over this entire year. I had entered the Hogwarts Express not knowing what to expect out of this school. I thought I would still be constantly thinking about my parents and their death. I didn’t think in the least that I would make friends like the ones I have.
Lily, on the train, seeing her green eyes and her smile just made me feel at ease and almost erased my parents death from my mind. She was such a positive person in my life, being around her seemed like a daily necessity that I would always want in my life. She was unbelievably kind and fierce. I had good friends at my old school, but I didn’t have this love that I had for Lily for any of them. Lily was a part of me now; she was my sister. Not by blood, no. But by soul; I could feel her coursing through me.
James… the thought of him brought a smile to my face. He would always make me laugh whether he was trying or not. He came off as arrogant but I soon saw that he was loyal and caring and had a love for Lily that no one else could ever possibly have. I could see them loving each other for the rest of their lives and the next one. He was a good man and a great friend.
It seemed like there wasn’t much I could say about Peter, but actually there was a few things about him that I liked. He was quiet, which was good, seeing as James, Sirius, and myself were loud; Peter kept it balanced. He was kind and friendly and seemed to have only nice things to say about people. He wasn’t judgmental and loved his friends dearly. I felt like I could have a deep conversation with him and though he probably wouldn’t say anything back, it would be everything that I wanted to hear.
Remus, ah, good ‘ol, Remus. Smart, witty, caring, and friendly. When in doubt, go talk to Remus. If I ever needed an answer, whether it was for homework or a personal problem, I could always count on Remus to give me a good answer. If I ever needed to talk to someone from a guys perspective, it was him. If, for whatever reason, I couldn’t talk to Lily, I would go to Remus. I can count on him for anything.
Then, there was Sirius. Arrogant, stubborn, prideful… caring, loyal, brave, funny, Sirius. The guy I could count on… if I wanted to blow off some steam. No, in all honesty… I don’t know what I could expect out of Sirius. One second he could have me laughing to death and the next, he could have me wanting him to die. He made me feel so many emotions in one day. He was exhausting yet gave me energy. I could argue with him all day and love him all night. And that’s what it all boiled down to… love. This love that made me want to be around him all the time, but if I was I would feel overwhelmed. And he saw me. He saw all of me. The good and the bad. He could see through all my bullshit, no matter how well I could hide it from the others. It was sickening. This feeling I had for him… It felt un-human and impossible. It felt so complicated and simple. It was tragic and blessed. It was blessed because we were happy and it’s love… but tragic because if anything ever happened to one of us and we could no longer be together… our world would seem over. God, this was pathetic… yet worthwhile.
“Password?”
“Wha?” I looked up to see the Fat Lady. “Oh, right. Erm… Flaxworm.”
The portrait door swung open and I quickly entered the dark common room. The fire was at barely flickering so I pointed my wand to it, “Inflamarae.” A large fire roared to life and I heard a yelp and saw someone jump up and off of the sofa, falling behind it and onto the floor.
The long mop of hair gave away the person was a female and when she groaned and looked up at me, her wide green eyes gave away that it was Lily.
“Are you alright?” I asked quietly as I tucked my wand into my waistband.
She blinked a few times and then scrambled to her feet, “Am I okay? Are you okay?! They said you wouldn’t be out of the Hospital Wing for at least a week, this was only your second night in there!”
“Yeah, well, Madam Pomfrey doesn’t exactly know-”
“You snuck out of the Hospital Wing?! They said you still needed to heal! There were wounds that-”
“Look, forget about me. I’m fine. I want to know about you. Snape cursed you after all.”
Lily looked a bit unsettled, “No he didn’t.”
I clenched my jaw, “So who was it then? I honestly thought they would make him do it…”
“I don’t know who did it.”
I blinked quickly, “What? Then why did you say it wasn’t Snape?”
“Because he would never do that to me!” She whispered harshly, crossing her arms over her chest.
What? How can you even say that?! You’ve seen what he’s like!” I took a threatening step forward. I risked my life, fighting for her, and she had the audacity to tell me that I was wrong when she didn’t even know herself?!
“You’re wrong! You don’t know what he really is like! You don’t know him like I do-!”
“No, Lily. You’re wrong! You’re the one who doesn’t know what he’s really like. He’s different now, Lily, you know this-”
“He’s only this way around everyone because the Gryffindor’s would hate him because he’s a Slytherin and the Slytherin’s would hate him because-”
“He called you a Mudblood! Or did he erase your memory of that too when he cursed you?!” I yelled.
“No, he didn’t because he didn’t curse me! He wouldn’t do that!” Her green eyes were angry and beginning to water. “He…” she sighed lightly, “he loves me…”
I clenched my jaw, “What the hell is that supposed to mean?!”
She blinked, she looked shocked and a bit confused, “W-what?”
“So, what, he loves you and you’re going to break up with James now or something?!”
Her eyes widened, “What?! No! I wasn’t saying that! What I’m trying to say it that-!”
“Oh bloody hell!” A third voice yelled. Grace Morgan came running angrily down the stairs. “I have had enough!” Her tussled, ebony black hair and piercing blue eyes made her look like a mad-man. “Do you have any idea how many times you and your friends have woken me up?! Honestly, at least once a week you’re either laughing and joking around or screaming at each other! I don’t know what goes on in your little group and I personally don’t give a shit-” My eyes widened at her use of language, “but, if you don’t learn to shut the hell up and respect others as they try to sleep I will make sure you never shut your eyes again to get a moments rest, understand?!
Lily and I simply nodded and Grace turned on her heel and angrily marched back up the stairs.
After a short moment I asked in a demanding (yet quiet) tone, “Where are the guys?”
“Out… it’s… you know, that time of the month.” She whispered. I nodded once and turned around to leave, “Wait, so you’re just going to walk away from this?”
I looked at her over my shoulder, “Yes. Because obviously you have more thinking to do. I have to go talk to the guys. I’ll see you whenever.” And with that I left the common room in search for the boys.

~~~

“James, come on, you can’t seriously be whimping out on us!” I heard Sirius’s voice yell in a harsh whisper. I was closing in on them.
Us? This has nothing to do with Peter. It was only about, you, me, and Snape. Remus shouldn’t have anything to do with this - he doesn’t even know! I’m going to stop Snape before it’s too late. Come on Peter!” I heard quick and hard foot steps running and the sound faded.
“Damn it!” I heard a fist slam into a wall and when I rounded the corner I saw Sirius cradling his right hand and cursing silently with an expression of pain on his face.
“What the bloody hell was that all about?” I demanded.
Sirius jumped a bit and relaxed for a moment when he saw it was me, but then his dark eyes widened and he quickly walked to me. “Amilia,” his hands gently held my face and kissed me sending heat and electricity throughout my body. “What are… why aren’t you… Are you…?”
I smiled lightly, “I came looking for you guys. I sort of… snuck out of the Hospital Wing, went to the common room, got into an argument with Lily, got yelled at by Grace Morgan,” his face scrunched up in confusion at this random detail, “and then came looking for you guys. Now, what the bloody hell was that all about?”
“So, you’re fine?” He asked taking a step back and looking me over.
I rolled my eyes, “Yeah, I’m okay. Now, are you going to tell me what that was all about?”
“What? Oh, that? That was nothing… look, are you sure you’re okay, that arm,” he pointed at the bandage on my right arm, “it had a pretty deep gash in it…”
“Sirius, I’m fine. Now tell me why you and James were arguing.” I demanded, getting frustrated that he wasn’t giving me an answer.
“Why were you and Lily arguing?” He asked with a small frown.
I sighed heavily and shook my head, “She doesn’t believe Snape cursed her… How can she still believe him? After everything? Even I gave him a chance at the beginning of the year, but he just proved that you and James were right all along. He’s a git.”
This made him smile, “I told you so.”
I glared at him, “Don’t rub it in.”
“Oh, no, I am going to rub it in real good. I am going to savor this moment for as long as we both shall live-”
“Wait a minute. You still haven’t answered my question. What were you and James arguing about?
He blinked and then rubbed the back of his head, “Nothing… it’s just… me and him made a plan to get that git, Snape, back.” He scoffed, “But James just bailed on it. He went to go stop it…”
“What? The plan is tonight? What is…”
Remus shouldn’t have anything to do with this - he doesn’t even know!
It’s… you know, that time of the month.
I slowly opened my eyes and was relieved when I wasn‘t blinded by sunlight but instead a soft glow from the full moon.
The pieces began to fit in together and my mind was racing.
“Amilia, are you alright-?”
“You idiot!” I screamed at Sirius who’s eyes quickly widened and he jumped back. “What did you do?! Tell me everything!”
“I-I just… I just sort of tricked Snape into… going into the Shrieking Shack-”
No!” I quickly turned and broke out into a run to get to the Whomping Willow. I could hear Sirius yelling after me but I didn’t stop for him. I kept running.

~~~

When I got out of the castle I could see that the Whomping Willow was still and continued running. Out of the darkness of the secret entrance I saw two figures stumbling out of it. I quickly ran faster and I screamed out, “James!” I saw the figures look up and one of them waved. I slowed a bit and let out a smile of relief and then came to a halt to catch me breath. My lungs were burning and my legs felt like jelly from running so fast. The two figures and a small scurrying rat were making their way over to me but my smile quickly faded as I saw a large, familiar beastly figure make its way out of the darkness.
JAMES!!!” I screamed and then pointed at the werewolf behind them, “RUN!!!” They both turned around and I heard the rat begin to squeak frantically.
I saw Snape lift his wand but James pushed him, “No, don’t hurt him! Just run!” The werewolf and I seemed to break out into a run at the same time, both towards the same target.
I could feel my body begin to twist as I transformed into a cat and my speed was multiplied. James turned away from Snape and looked behind him to see Remus diving for him. James wouldn’t have enough time to change.
I dove for Remus’s head, obviously being too small to tackle his body, but my sharp claws dug into face and we tumbled away from James and Snape. I was letting out threatening growls and hisses and Remus stumbled around trying to shake me off, but all of my claws were embedded deep into his flesh and I had no plans of letting go.
But, Remus had a plan of his own as he grabbed me around the torso and tore me off of him. He held me away from his face and his grip was tight and life-threatening. I scratched at his hand and he squeezed tighter and I let out a cry of pain as I felt some ribs break and I transformed back into my human-self. My change in size caused Remus to drop me and I quickly rolled onto my back and tried to breath. Sharp volts of stabbing pain racked throughout my torso and my eyes widened as I saw Remus dive to bite me and I let out a scream.
Before Remus could sink his teeth into my neck, something large and dark flashed before my eyes and tackled Remus. The two dark beings began to viciously fight and fear ran through my body as I saw Sirius nearly get bit. Sirius’s paws would quickly shove Remus’s face away whenever he got close to biting him but that didn’t stop Remus’s claws from digging into Sirius and tearing away at his skin.
"Sirius!” I cried out as panic coursed through my veins and a familiar feeling began to sink into me.
I heard a loud galloping sound and I turned to see a stag running towards me. James jumped over me and lowered his head so his antlers rammed into Remus and threw him off Sirius. Remus yelped out in pain as he fell and slowly got up and growled a few times as James stomped his hooves and prodded his antlers threateningly. After a moment of thought, Remus quickly ran towards and into the Forbidden Forest.
The stag transformed back into James and the black dog turned back into Sirius. I tried to get up but the sharp jolt of pain made me give up and lie helplessly on the grass.
“Sirius, are you alright?” James asked as he fell to his knees at Sirius’s side.
“Yeah… I’ll be okay.” He said and let out a rigid sigh.
“Did he bite you? Bloody hell… you look… horrible9” James asked.
Sirius shook his head, “Nah… heh, you should see the other guy.”
James let out a small laugh, “I was here. I did see the other guy.”
“Wait… Amilia…” Sirius rolled over slightly and looked over at me. “Are you okay?”
I looked at him hard, and through gritted teeth I said, “My ribs are broken, you prat. Do you have any idea-!” I gasped out in pain and tried to relax.
“Amilia!” James and Sirius cried out in unison. Sirius tried to get up but James held him down, “Don’t move.” James looked at something past me with a blank look, “Snape, go get help.”
“Why should I help-”
“I guess I could just use the Imperius Curse on you and skip an argument.” James spat.
Snape said nothing and then I heard his feet walking through the grass and the sound faded so I assumed he was walked away and to the castle.
James sighed and sat down. “It was a stupid plan.” James whispered shaking his head.
“Nah, it was a good plan, only if you would’ve stuck with it-”
No, Sirius! It was a stupid plan!” I bellowed. “It could’ve gotten Snape killed!”
“Well, maybe that was the point!” Sirius yelled angrily back.
I let out a cold laugh. “Really? You were going to let one of your best friends, who already hates himself for what he is, kill someone?!” I screamed at him and then winced at the pain in my ribs.
“That’s why James came to stop it.” Sirius stated.
“Yeah, James. Not you. I heard you arguing! You still wanted to go through with the plan!”
“I-”
“I see people coming!” James said, cutting off Sirius’s next argument.
I turned my head to see a few figures quickly walking towards us. I quickly noticed the large giant, Hagrid carrying a large lantern and I saw Professor McGonagall, Madam Pomfrey and Professor Dumbledore by his side.
“Oh my word!” McGonagall gasped at the site of Sirius.
Hey, Professors…” James flashed them a weak smile.

~~~

“Not only did you leave my Hospital Wing without my permission, but within an hour you managed to get even worse and end up back in here. But, I have healed your broken ribs and now, I give you permission to leave.” Madam Pomfrey gave me a scolding look and then made her way to her office.
“What about me?” Sirius asked.
You stay.” She walked into her office and shut the door.
I stood up and was happy to feel that my ribs were indeed fixed and I heard Sirius sigh. “Are you still not talking to me?”
I said nothing.
“When are you going to be done being mad at me?”
I picked up my wand from the night stand and said nothing.
“Look, alright, it was a stupid plan, I get it-”
No, you don’t!” I yelled and then quickly put up a silencing charm. “I almost died! James almost died! You almost died! And it would have been Remus who killed us! Did you even think what would happen to Remus?!
“No, alright?! I didn’t! I was a bit preoccupied worrying about my girlfriend!” Sirius yelled and slowly sat up in his cot, wincing slightly but quickly masking it with anger.
“Yeah, well, you wont have to worry anymore.” I turned around to leave.
“Wait, wait! What-what do you mean?” The shake in his voice was what made me falter and stop walking.
Was it normal to feel your heart beat in your stomach?
I was feeling that way in that moment.
“I mean…” I turned back around with angry (at least that’s what I convinced myself to believe) tears in my eyes. “It’s over.”
“I… I still don’t understand. What’s over?” His gray eyes were dark and confused and scared.
We’re over.” I whispered.
“W-what? Why?!
“Because! What you did- it’s unforgivable! You nearly killed us all!”
“I know! I’m sorry! I am! I know it was stupid and I’m sorry! I was just so pissed off because of what he did, I wasn’t thinking straight! Neither was James but he realized it was a bad idea before I did, but I did realize it! I know it was stupid! You can’t break up with me because I made a mistake!
“That mistake nearly killed three people and would have destroyed other’s lives!”
“But I-I just want to protect you!”
“Well you can’t!”
“That’s what this is, isn’t it! You aren’t breaking up with me because I made a mistake, because let’s face it, I make loads of mistakes! This is about me trying to protect you, isn’t it! You hate it when someone tries to protect you! You think you can do everything yourself and everything will be okay! But you’re wrong! Sometimes you need help, whether it’s from me or someone else! You can’t do it on your own!”
“Yes I can! I don’t need protection. I have created spells that no one could even dream of! I know spells they won’t even dare teach us! I learned them all on my own, without anyone’s help! I can look after myself!”
“You have blind spots, Amilia! Just like everyone else!
“Then I’ll create a spell to terminate those spots!”
“You can’t create a spell for everything!”
“Why not?!”
“Because it’s dangerous and sometimes impossible!”
“Then I’ll make it possible!”
He let out a frustrated scream, “You can’t! You just can’t! You can’t have everything your way!”
“You think I don’t know that?! You think I have everything my way?! If I had everything my way my parents wouldn’t be dead!” I screamed. “They would’ve been the ones sending me off on the Hogwarts Express! They would’ve been writing to me every week! They would have been the ones I spent Christmas with! They would be coming to my Quidditch games! They would be alive, Sirius, not dead!” My legs were shaking but I wouldn’t let myself fall. “You don’t understand. You hate your parents. I loved mine. I loved them more than anything. More than myself, more than my ex-boyfriend, more than my best friends. And they were taken away from me. You don’t know what that’s like. The feeling… inside… it’s-it’s sickening… and… and… horrible… and it’s impossible to describe… I felt… like I was the one who died… and how I wished that it was true. That I really was the one who died and not my parents…. Because I didn’t want to live with that sick, twisting, hollowing feeling inside me for a moment longer. It didn’t make sense… the world didn’t make sense anymore. And when… I saw you and Remus fighting… that feeling… it was creeping back into me… I don’t ever want to feel that way again because… you mean more to me than anything now. And you can’t promise me that you wont die. We’re in a war… and not only do you want to fight in it… but if you stopped looking out for yourself and tried to protect me and… and… died. I won’t do it. I’d rather have a broken heart than that feeling… So it’s over Sirius… I need it to be over… please.” My body was shaking as I cried.
Sirius’s expression looked tortured and I had to look away so my eyes settled on my feet. “Alright… alright… it’s over…”
♠ ♠ ♠
The end.
Sort of. XD
Well, technically there is still the epilogue and the kind of sequel...

Oh and my sister and I are kind of having a debate, if something belongs to someone with a name that ends with a 's', like James, is it James's or James'. Because then, what if there is more that one James and something belongs to the both of them?
Anyways, epilogue should be out soonish. :)

OH!!
Can you guys please take this Harry Potter vs. Twilight survey for my senior project? XD
And if you have any guy friends who can take it, can you ask them?? (I need some more from guys perspective) Gracias so much!!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7DR855W