Cats and Dogs

Chapter 4

“Alright, you trouble-makers, your are going to be filing tonight.” Filch said once we entered his dimly lit office. He had a scowl on his face, though I wasn’t quite sure if it was a scowl or a smile.

“Oh, well, that will be easy,” Sirius whispered to me with a smile on his face.

“Without using your precious wands.” Filch added, and this time, I knew he was smiling.

Sirius looked absolutely defeated. His eyes were wide in slight horror, his mouth was ajar, and he looked like he would cry at any moment. “B-but, sir!” Sirius cried.

Filch quickly raised his arm and then pointed at a closet that was closed, to the left of his office. “The files are in there. I want them first ordered in chronological order, then alphabetical.” he stated. “Now, get to work.”

Sirius huffed and slouched as we walked over to the closet, “This is unfair.” he mumbled.

I rolled my eyes, “Oh, calm down, honestly! It’s just a bit of filing.” I reached for the door-knob and quickly swung the door and yelped when boxes and files came dropping out and tumbled on top of me. I fell to the ground as the boxes of files and files continued to fall on me.

After a few moments the avalanche ceased, and the papers began to fall off of me and I felt a firm, rough hand grabbed my wrist and I was quickly pulled up. The papers fell off me completely and the papers reached my mid-calve and I slowly looked up at Sirius. I winced when I saw that signature smirk on his lips.

“Just a bit of filing, huh?” he laughed and then frowned, “Damn, I have to do this too…” he cursed under his breath and I could hear Filch hissing and I realized that was him laughing.

“Well,” I began, “we better get started.” I sighed and pulled my hair back into a pony-tail using my own hair. I tossed my robe off and onto the floor and pushed up my sleeves and began to pick up the papers.

I glanced down at the first paper to look at the name and raised an eyebrow, “James Potter…” I gasped, “these are all detention slips?!” I grabbed another, “James Potter… Sirius Black,” I looked up at him with a raised eyebrow and he just shrugged and had a fake innocent smile on his face. I grabbed more and continued to read them, “Sirius… James… James… Sirius… Sirius…. Sirius… Sirius… James…” I sighed, “My god, what the hell have you guys been doing these past years you’ve been here?” I said as I began to separate the Potter and Black files and Sirius just shrugged. “But hey, maybe this wont take as long as we thought.” I mumbled lowly so Filch wouldn’t hear me. “Potter… Potter… Black… Black- Wait a minute…” I looked at the first name and my eyebrows pulled together in confusion, “Who’s Regulus?” I asked as I started a new pile for Regulus, though it was the one slip, so far.

I looked up at Sirius and his face darkened, “My brother.” he mumbled as he continue to go through the files.

My eyes widened in surprise, “I didn’t know you had a brother, Sirius. Does he still come here?”

He sighed, “Yeah, he’s a year younger than me.”

“Oh, how come you haven’t mentioned him-”

“He’s a Slytherin.” He stated, cutting me off. He looked sickened by just mentioning that fact.

I raised an eyebrow, “Uh-huh, so?”

He quickly looked at me, his grey eyes meeting my green-grey ones, a hint of anger and surprise in his eyes and expression, “What do you mean, ‘so?’?”

I let out a low laugh, “What’s the problem with him being in Slytherin? He’s your brother after all.”

A scowl grew on his face, “Like that matters.”

“Uh, it does.” I stated.

He glared at me, “Not in my family, it doesn’t. Maybe in your perfect family they don’t care what house you’re in, but mine, my parents despise “blood-traitors”, such as myself. And being in Gryffindor, to my family, is being a blood-traitor, and not hating muggle-born witches or wizards, is being a blood-traitor, being me is being a blood-traitor in my family. I don’t know what your parents would say about you being okay with muggle-borns, or muggles, but mine… they don’t shut up about it… To the point where one has to runaway…”

“Well,” I began, “I would imagine they wouldn’t say much-”

“Exactly! Your life is way different from mine, okay, so don’t try and do some kind of family reunion with my brother.” he whispered angrily.

I glared at him, “because their dead.” I stated, finishing what I was saying.

His eye widened, “Oh…”

“Yes, my parents excepted me for me, and excepted muggle-borns and muggles, and they paid for that, by getting killed by Death Eaters. Happy?” Angry tears threatened to fall and I just clenched my jaw.

“No, no, I’m not happy- Oh no, please, d-d-don’t cry, oh god, I’m so sorry-” he stammered before I cut him off.

“Oh, just shut up! Shut up! Shut up, shut up, shut up!” the tears slowly left the rim of my eyes and I just got more angry because I was crying… in front of him, none the less. I quickly covered my faces and kneeled down and picked up my robe and then I quickly stood up and ran out of the room.

“Hey! Where do you think you’re going?! Detention isn’t over yet!” Filch yelled after me, but I ignored him and ran out into the hall.

Once I thought I was safe and away far away from Sirius I slowed down to a calm and steady walk. “Hey-”

I jumped back and let out a scream, “Oh! Shit, Potter! Don’t scare me like that!” I slapped James on his shoulder and he winced slightly and stifled a laugh.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you, what are you doing out? Detention done already? Where’s Sirius?” He asked as we began to walk down the halls.

“Eh, I ditched, I guess you could say.” I said while I wiggled my eyebrows and smirked, “I’m rebellious like that sometimes.”

James laughed, “God, Amilia, its your second day and you got detention, you jinxed a boy, and now you’re ditching the detention you got in the first place!”

I laughed and then my face became serious, “Damn, I’m a trouble-maker.” I mumbled and James laughed. “Wait,” my eyebrows were pulled together, “what are you doing out?” I questioned.

“Oh,” James smiled and pulled on his robe and turned his body slightly to show off a badge, “I’m a Prefect!” he smiled, “Along with Lily, though I don’t know where she is at the moment…”

“So that’s what you’re doing… You aren’t protecting the halls of this great school - you’re looking for Lily!” I laughed and James grinned.

“You caught me!” he held up his hands to signal a surrender and we laughed. “So, how are you liking the school?”

I grinned, “Its great! The castle is beautiful! Everything is perfect! Well… Except for Sirius, I could live without him being around…” I mumbled, though I knew I was joking.

James frowned slightly, “Why do you not like him?”

I sighed and then laughed, “I honestly don’t know!” James looked at me like I was slightly mental and I just laughed more. “Seriously! I have no idea! There is just something about him that doesn’t sit quite right with me. Don’t ask what, I have no idea, but I just know it’s there.”

James let out a sigh and shook his head, “You know, you’re hurting his ego.”

I smiled, “Good. His ego was so thick, I swear if it got any bigger I would choke on it!” I smiled as James laughed and we began to climb the stairs to the Gryffindor tower.

“Well, try not to hurt it too much.” I stated once we reached the portrait.

“Hey, don’t worry about us, you just worry about you and Lily, alright? She’ll come around, and soon, so be ready.” I smiled and then turned to the portrait, “Lemony Lemon-drops.” the portrait swung open and I turned to James and patted him on the shoulder, “See you tomorrow, Potter.”

“Alright, bye.” he turned and walked down the stairs and I climbed through the portrait hole and into the Gryffindor Common Room.

I ran my hands through my hair and made my way to the Girl Dorm and then quickly changed into my pajama’s and quickly fell asleep, not noticing the tears that slowly fell down my cheeks and onto my pillow from the dream I had about my parents.

For the next two weeks, I ignored Sirius, and James’ and Lily’s questioning. I had to make up for the detention and I got an extra two detention for just leaving without explaining. Once I finished my last detention with Filch I decided to stretch my legs and go for a run by outside.

I smiled and quickly looked around to make sure no one was looking. When I was sure there was no one I quickly transformed into a brown and grey American Shorthair cat. I smiled as best as a cat could and arched my back and stretched. My ears began to twitch slightly when I began to hear whispered arguing and a bunch of footsteps.

I quickly froze in a sitting position and raised a paw to my forehead and kept myself that way. “Oi, look! It’s a little kitty statue!” James?

“Prongs! Forget about a bloody statue! Mooney is in dire need to get out of the Shrieking Shack!” Sirius?

But where were they? They sounded as if they were right in front of me, but they were no where to be seen.

Thank goodness for my good hearing in cat form so I could hear and follow the sound of their footsteps. I followed them through the halls and then through some kind of secret passage-way and before I knew it we were outside.

I sighed when the cool air rushed through my face and fur and I actually began to purr. The grass was soft and it was harder to hear their footsteps. I shrugged slightly, I would ask them about it tomorrow… But until then! It’s time to run free!

I began to run around like a cat on catnip and found myself running along the rim of the Black Lake. I slowed down when I began to get closer to the edge of the Forbidden Forest. I came to a halt and sat down and tilted my head slightly in curiosity. I wonder why it’s forbidden… I stood up and then raised a paw to take a step when I heard a ruffling and a slight growl from afar.

I froze and then jumped slightly when a rat came running out of the forest. I laughed, though it came out like hissing, because I got scared of a rat! I’m a cat and a rat scared me! I guess I’m a scaredy-cat! I laughed at my own pun and then turned around and watched the rat drink from the lake. I slowly and quietly began to walk towards it - just to scare it! I would never hurt another animal, but an eye for an eye, right?

When I was just a mere foot away from it, it raised it’s head and I froze. It turned around and caught site of me and squealed and began to run around squealing. I couldn’t help but chase it around, just to toy with it, when a black dog jumped at me and sunk it’s teeth into my neck. It shook me a little and then it threw me. I tumbled on the grass and came to a slow stop. I opened my eyes and I saw the dog who seemed frozen in place - if possible, it’s eyes were wide.

I seemed to be choking on some thick liquid and I brought my hand up to my mouth and coughed. When I pulled my hand away there was blood on it. I winced when I tried to turn my head, the puncture marks from the bite leaving my neck very sore. I placed my hand on my neck and pulled it back and saw more blood on my hand now. “Uh…” My eyes slowly fluttered close, my eyes catching site of the rat, the dog, and a stag… and then everything just went black.

I yawned and inhaled a deep breath and my eyes flew open as I scrutinized my unfamiliar surroundings. I heard a slight squeal and I turned and saw Lily jump up from her seat and look down at me, “You’re awake!” she exclaimed happily.

“Yeah,” I mumbled, “What happened?” I asked though I did know what happened. I just didn’t know how I ended up here.

“You were viciously mauled by a rabid dog!” she covered her mouth and then gently placed her hands on my hand.

“What?” I turned to my left to find Sirius and James sitting on an empty bed and Peter pacing slowly behind the bed. “She wasn’t viciously mauled!” he said in the dogs defense and I raised an eyebrow. “And the dog wasn’t rabid, for heaven-sakes.” he huffed and James rolled his eyes.

“Okay, then. James, do you mind telling me what happened?” I said looking at James.

He nodded slightly, “You see, we were all asleep, you know, like good students, when, uh, er, Sirius here woke us up with a scream-”

“What?” Sirius exclaimed as he hit James in the arm and James winced.

“What?” he whispered.

“If you’re going to lie,” Sirius whispered lowly to James, “Make it believable!” I can’t believe they actually though I couldn’t hear them.

I looked over at Lily who seemed to strain herself to hear them, “What did they say?” she mumbled.

I just shook my head, “Anyways,” James continued, “So when we woke up, Sirius said he’d seen you get attacked by a dog. So we snuck out and when we got to you, you were bleeding all over the place! It was a bloody mess! Really! Blood coming out your mouth, loads of blood coming out of the horrible wounds from your neck! It was a bloody nightmare.” he laughed at his own pun and I just looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

“Okay!” Sirius yelled in annoyance. He looked ill, almost guilty, “We get it! She was injured badly. Just continue to the part where I carried her all the way from the Black Lake to here.” He looked a little bit smug.

“You know, it doesn’t sound so great when you’re talking highly of yourself, Sirius.” I stated like it was the most obvious thing in the world. I sat up and Lily stood quickly.

“Oh, take it slow.” She said gently.

“Oh, come now.” Madam Pomfrey said as she walked over to my bed. “No need to take it slow, you’re perfectly fine now. You can go back to your dorms.” she smiled quickly at me and then walked away.

I threw the covers off of me and practically jumped off the bed. “Do… Dogs, rats, and stags, usually hang around each other?” I asked turning to Lily. She looked confused and I turned to James and Sirius who seemed to have paled.

James started laughing, “Oh, you! Must have knocked your head… - Come on! To the dorms!” He quickly grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the hospital wing and pushed me to walk faster along side Lily. He then went back with Sirius.

I kept looking back at them and every time I did the suddenly stopped talking and began to look around aimlessly and whistled. I just shook my head and continued to walk with Lily.

“What were you doing out there?” Lily asked.

I shrugged, “Just going for a walk-” I suddenly stopped talking when I remembered about hearing James and Sirius sneaking out without being seen. I turned back and to no surprise, they saw me and suddenly stopped talking, started looking around aimlessly, and started whistling. I narrowed my eyes in deep suspicion.

“Goodnight, Amilia.” Lily whispered and then yawned in her bed.

“Night,” I mumbled. I sighed and then laid in my bed for a while, trying to get some sleep. I bit my bottom lip and then pouted - my impatience was getting the better of me. I quickly sat up and then got out of my bed and walked to the window by my bed. I looked around to see if that dog was there but with no success. I heard some muffled talking downstairs in the Common Room and raised an eyebrow in curiosity. I slowly tip-toed down the stairs and began to hear things more clearly.

“How is she?” A familiar voice asked. It wasn’t Sirius’ or James’ voice - Remus!

Why didn’t he visit me in the hospital wing like the others? I leaned forward slightly to hear better and screamed when I stepped off a step from the stairs and fell forward. I gasped when the wind was knocked out of me and then coughed and rolled over so I was laying on my back.

“My god! Why is she so nosey?!” Sirius exclaimed.

Remus quickly walked over to me and held out his hand and I quickly grabbed it and he pulled me up. “Thank you.” I mumbled. I looked and saw Sirius sitting on the sofa with an annoyed look on his face, James was standing next to him and he was stifling a laugh, Peter was sitting on the floor by the fire and he was looking up at me with wide eyes. I looked over at Remus who looked… “You look ... awful.” I stated honestly.

Remus chuckled nervously and rubbed the back of his neck, “Yeah…”

I sighed and then crossed my arms, “Well, obviously there is something we need to talk about.” I stated and then walked over and sat down on the chair by the sofa and crossed my legs.

Sirius had a scowl on his face, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Oh, that’s right - you don’t speak intellect. It’s times like this where I wished I spoke idiot - like you.” I smiled sweetly at him and he mocked my smile and then the scowl returned to his face.

“No, she’s right, Sirius.” James said a he walked around and sat down next to Sirius on the sofa. He sighed and then took a deep breath. “You’re an Animagus.” he stated.

My eyes widened and I quickly stood up, “What? No! T-that’s a lie! And we aren’t supposed to talk about me! We’re supposed to talk about how you guys are sneaking out without being seen!”

James and Sirius’ eyes widened, “I knew it wasn’t a statue!” Sirius cried as he threw an accusing finger at me and then stood. “It was you! You can transform into a cat!”

I glared at him, “How do you know that?! How?! Tell me!” I placed my hands on my hips.

Sirius’ glare faded and he began to look around the room, “Er, well, uh, hey! Don’t try and change the subject! We’re talking about you! Prongs! Don’t you have anything to say?!” he sat down and shoved James to say something.

“Er,” James began. Then it hit me.

“Wait!” I exclaimed as a smiled began to creep onto my lips.

“Oh no… No, no! I don’t like that look on her face!” Sirius said, worry written all over his face.

“You-!” I said pointing to James and he paled, “Prongs? You-!” I pointed to Sirius and he glared at my finger, “Padfoot.” I turned to Peter, “Wormtail…” I was grinning now, “I saw a rat, a stag, and a dog together the night I was attacked… You guys are Animagi!”

They all paled, “James, or should I say Prongs, you’re the stag! Peter,” I turned to Peter and he looked like he was going to be sick, “Wormtail, you’re the rat! Oh- Sorry about chasing you, I wasn’t going to hurt you! I swear!” I turned to Sirius and my smile slowly faded and he winced, “You! You’re the rabid dog who viciously attacked me!” I paled and I fell back into my chair and Sirius stood up.

“I-I-I didn’t mean to! I-I thought y-you were attacking, Peter!” He exclaimed, guilt written all over his face.

I glared up at him, “That hurt, you know!”

“I know! I’m so, so, very sorry! Please, you have to understand, I thought you were just an stupid cat-”

“What?! A stupid cat?!” I screeched.

His eyes widened, “Oh! No! I mean, just, j-just a cat, a normal cat-”

“Even so, why would you attack a poor cat like that?!”

“I thought you were attacking my friend!” he said pointing to Peter.

“Still! You could’ve just barked or growled at me to scare me off! You didn’t have to try and tear me apart like some kind of chew-toy!” Sirius and I sighed in unison and fell back down in our seats. “Okay… Everything was just a big misunderstanding…”

“Yeah.” Sirius agreed.

“So, are you okay?” Remus asked. I looked up at him and he looked slightly worried still.

I smiled and nodded slightly, “Yeah, Remus,” Remus… Mooney… Wait what was he?

Remus smiled, “Good.”

“Remus… Are you a cow?” I asked with my eyebrows pulled together and a slight pout on my lips.

Sirius gave out a bark of laughter and James was laughing right next to him. “Hahaha, she thinks you’re a cow, mate!” Sirius laughed.

Remus turned and glared at him and Sirius quickly stopped laughing. Remus slowly turned back to me, his face covered with worry. “Amilia… I’m a-”

“Hey!” Sirius yelled, “Do you think this is wise? Telling her our secrets like this? What if she tells someone?!”

I glared at him, “I wouldn’t do that!”

“Yeah? And how can we believe you?” Sirius asked as they all looked at me.

“I-” I shrugged and slowly shook my head, “I don’t know… I guess you’ll just have to trust me.”

Sirius was silent for a moment, his eyes locked onto mine. His eyes seemed to almost be smoldering with such an intensity that I began to feel my cheeks grow hot. “Alright,” Sirius finally said, “Tell her.”

I smiled lightly and then turned to Remus, “Amilia… I’m a Werewolf.”

My eyes widened and I then smiled and laughed, “I get it! Mooney! As is moon from the full moon!” I laughed and Remus looked less worried and actually smiled slightly. “Oh, I can’t believe I thought you were a cow!” I laughed at my own expense and the others joined in.

“Well,” James began as he reached out his hand as if to want a handshake, “Welcome to the Marauders!”

WHAT?!” Sirius screeched.
♠ ♠ ♠
so bloody sorry for the long wait!! My kitty broke my computer -.-'
but here it is!! I'll update soon!! Promise!! Well, unless my kitty breaks this one...