One Good Reason

Chapter 1

“Jacob, stop! I’m sorry I hurt your feelings, okay? I really am sorry, but you know I was kidding.” I said, “It’s just that you have to lighten up. Ever since your dad went into the hospital, you’ve been all whacked out. You know you can talk to me.”
“I know. I’m sorry Bells, I just can’t focus all the time. It’s really hard. You know my mom was in the hospital for like three months before she died and the doctors think my dad has what she did. If he dies, I have nowhere to go.” Jacob said to me, his bright green eyes brimming with tears, “They said if he is going to die, he has three months to live and they can’t even do anything.”
“They told you he had three months to live?” I asked, bewildered.
“Not exactly. When your mom took me to the hospital to see him yesterday I knew they weren't telling me something so I said I had to go to the bathroom and went around the corner. I could hear everything the doctors said. When I walked back out to the doctors, they wouldn’t even let me see him. So I ran here.”
“You spent the night here? Well I guess nobody would find you. I thought you went home.”
“No, I stayed here and intend to stay here until your mom or dad tells me that the doctors say I can see him.”
“Oh, well could you at least come to my house and hide out in my room?” I asked him.
“No.”
“Come on, video games, food, a warm bed. I’ll take the floor. We can lock my door so my parents can’t come in without you hiding first. We’ll get you some clothes and stuff from your house. Like a giant sleepover.”
“Maybe.”
“You know you can’t resist me when I say please.”
“You didn’t say please.”
“True. Please Jacob?” I said as I stuck my lower lip out.
“Annabelle, don’t do this to me.”
“Please with whip cream and a cherry on top?”
“Fine.”
“Come on.” I said as I pulled him up from the lawn chair in our “house.” We built a little house out of bamboo and wood about two years ago. We decided we needed somewhere that no one knew about. So how about a tiny area in the middle of a bamboo forest? Perfect, huh? “Get up Jake!”
“Fine, I’m up. Let go of my shirt Bell.” He said as he stood up. Since I was right there, our bodies brushed as I looked up. Jake was over six feet tall, while I'm only five foot six so he towered over me.
“Sorry, but that’s the spirit.”
We walked through the forest toward my house when I told Jacob to stop. I had to make sure no one was near my room. I ran to the left side of the porch and pulled a ladder down that I had made. I climbed up the ladder and onto the roof, then I opened my middle window and climbed inside. My room is actually a sunroom on the second floor, so it’s really easy to sneak people in. I went to my door and locked it. Just as I was about to climb out my window, somebody knocked on my written-on door. I went to my door and unlocked it, then I opened the door.
“Hey Bella, what’s up.” My older sister Tiffany said, “What are you doing?”
“Umm… getting ready to go out.” I said carefully. Tiffany is a seventeen-year-old lie detector.
“Oh. Hey, do you know where Johnathon is? He was supposed to be here a half an hour ago.”
“No I haven’t seen him around lately. You guys are going out?” I said incredulously. Johnathon was one of my older friends and he was also a guy who liked skater girls. Tiffany was like a Barbie doll. I was really surprised.
“Kind of. This was supposed to be our first date.” Tiffany said.
“Oh,” I responded, “Well, Johnathon is usually very late, so I-" The doorbell interrupted me.
“Okay, that’s probably him. Thanks for your help. Have fun tonight.” Tiff said as she walked away. I shut my door and locked it when Jacob climbed in through my window. I walked over to him and hugged him as soon as he was inside all the way.
“What was that for?” Jake asked incredulously.
“Umm… for being a good friend.” I said hesitantly wondering where the hug came from myself.
“I have a question.” Jake asked me.
“Okay. Shoot.” I said careful once again. Jacob does not have many questions, he’s more of an answers kind of guy.
“Do good friends do this?” His eyes darkened with the question as he put his arm around my waist and leaned down. Even in heels I’m still like five inches shorter than he is so I felt his height again, like in the forest. His lips slowly met mine and a tingling sensation came over me to the point where I couldn’t breathe. I pulled back slowly wondering where that came from. I didn’t have time to ask though because his lips were on mine once again and he was pushing me towards my bed. We slowly went tumbling down, and it felt like a million and one stars passed us before we were out of this world.
Then I came to my senses and that sucked. This was my best friend. He’d been my best friend since our mothers were in diapers. We were supposed to stay best friends, not become anything less or anything more. That’s the way it’s supposed to be. I took my hands and pushed him. Nothing happened. I pushed harder. He finally stopped kissing me, but stayed on top of me with his eyes shining with the intensity of a tiger. The hardest thing I ever had to do was came next.
“Jake, we can’t be more than friends.” I said trying to catch my breath and gauge his reaction at the same time.
“Give me one good reason why.” He said with sadness and embarrassment in his voice as he got up.
“Because we aren’t suppose to be.” I said pushing myself up on one elbow, knowing it sounded lame.
“I said one GOOD reason why.” Jake said now with anger.
“Because it’s just not right, okay?” I said as tears welled in my eyes.
“Alright. I’m going to go and get some clothes and stuff from my house. I’ll see you later.” Jake said as he turned his back.
“Promise you’ll come back?” I said knowing that he was embarrassed and that he probably wouldn’t come back if I didn’t make him promise. I didn’t want to lose him as a friend.
“Sure. Promise.” Jake said seeing the look on my face.
“Thanks.” I said as I watched disappointment cross over his face when his eyes met mine. I was still lying on my bed, so I sat up and waved as he disappeared down the roof. When I was sure he was on his way to his house I broke down in tears. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. Sure, I’ve had moments where I thought I like him like at the beach when he looks totally gorgeous without a shirt, but to know that he really likes me just makes it worse. I couldn’t get that thought out of my head.
Since my parents were at a concert, Tiffany was gone, and my younger siblings were holed up in their rooms, I went downstairs. I filled my arms with snacks and junk food. Once I grabbed food, I took two 2-liters and ran upstairs. Then once in my room, I made my bed and picked up my strewn clothes. I plugged in my wii and playstation so my video games were ready. I grabbed some blankets from my closet and made my makeshift bed.
When I was making my makeshift bed, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. Flushed cheeks, bright blue eyes, straight nose. Long curly brown hair and a slim body enclosed in a long-sleeved V-neck that plunged low and denim short shorts. Definitely invitational. I took that off and was about to grab one of my turtlenecks when I heard a sharp intake of breath. I whirled around and saw Jacob standing in front of my window with a backpack thrown over his shoulder. I realized I was wearing my bra and shorts, so I whirled back around, anger and embarrassment creeping into my cheeks. I put my dark green turtleneck on and slipped on my white slippers.
“Hey.” Jacob said casually. Like he didn’t just see me half-naked.
“What’s up?” I asked.
“Nothing much. Should I put this in your closet so if you mom comes in, she won’t recognize it?” He asked back as he started towards my closet.
“Umm… Yeah. Just throw it in there. I’ve got…” I was about to tell him that I brought snacks upstairs when he was about to put his bag in the closet and he just stopped and froze, “What?”
“Umm… nothing. It’s all good. You’ve got what?”
“Umm… food.” I answered as I walked over to the closet. I followed his eyes and saw my sixteenth birthday present from my friend Kylie in the corner. A hot pink thong. My cheeks flushed again, “Umm… that’s my birthday present from Kylie.” I said uneasily.
“Oh. Gotcha. Well, I’ll just put this here and then umm… well… what were you going to do tonight?”
“Take a bath.” I said, saying the first thing that popped into my head.
“Okay. I’ll just chill out here, okay?” Jake asked.
“Yeah, whatever.” I said as I grabbed the thong and put it in my underwear drawer in my dresser. Then I grabbed my denim miniskirt and a yellow long sleeved scoopneck shirt. I took the thong back out of my drawer and a bra then walked out of my bedroom locking the door behind me and walked into the bathroom, which is across the hall. I locked the door and turned the bath water on. Just when I was about to get in the bath there was a knock on my door.
“Bella?” My little 11-year-old brother Matthew asked, “Is that you?”
“Yeah Matt, what do you want?” I asked impatiently.
“Umm… Is there somebody in your room?” He asked hesitantly.
“No. Why?”
“Because I… umm… there’s… I put a camera in your room to see where you put your diary and Jacob’s in there playing video games.” Matt said all at once. I was busted, but so was he.
“Well you see… wait… you put a camera in my room?”
“Umm… well don’t be mad but I wanted to know if you and Jacob were together and I figured you wrote in your diary and if I read it I’d know, but I had to know where it was first and you always hid it so well.”
“Well… knock on the door and say ‘frog reporting to their lilypad’, then when Jacob answers the door say it’s ok and take the camera out.” I said, “Wait a minute, did you see him… us…”
“Kissing, yeah? I also saw him leave right after that and then something happened with a thong.”
“Yeah. Give me that tape too.” I said.
“What? No way! I could make a killing with that video on You-Tube!” Matt said with astonishment in his voice.
“MATTHEW TYLER FORD! STOP SYPING ON ME!” I yelled at him.
He finally left and I didn’t hear him go into my room to get the camera, so I had the tape after all. I got into the bath and realized the water was going down, so I turned the hot water on and let it run all over my feet and lower legs. Pretty soon the slow bubbly sound of the water was around my neck and it was drifting me out of consciousness.
Next thing I knew, I was in my bed, naked, with the sheets pulled up to my chin. Pretty amazing how I just magically appeared there, isn’t it?
“What the hell? How did I get here? Jacob?” I asked. Jacob was sitting on the side edge of my bed with a worried look on his face.
“Well… umm…” Jacob said with a flush burning his cheeks.
“Spit it out.” I said impatiently, sitting up and pulling the sheets up around me.
“Umm… well you were in the bathroom for a really long time and so I snuck out of here and knocked on the door. When you didn’t answer I had a feeling something was wrong. So I raided your hair box and found a bobby pin and unlocked the door with it. I found you under the water, sleeping I’d guess, and so I carried you in here and let you sleep.” Jacob said.
“You saved my life.” I said with awe. I hadn’t even know I had fallen asleep. "I could have died."
“Well no need to thank me. What are best friends for?” Jake asked.
“Let me anyway. Stay here.” I said as I sat up and pulled the sheet around me not caring if he saw anything. Then I walked into the bathroom. I put my bra and underwear on and my shirt. Then I left the sheet in there and grabbed my skirt. I walked into my room locking my door behind me. I searched the corners of my room with my eyes and they settled on a fly in the corner above my bed. I stood on my bed, aware that Jacob’s eyes were fixated on my thong and took the “fly” off the wall. It was Matt’s camera. Once that was off the wall and thrown out my window, I stepped off of the bed and sat in Jacob’s lap. The look of surprise on Jacob’s face was hysterical.
“I don’t want your kiss to make things awkward around us.” I said choking back a laugh.
“Well you sitting on my lap wearing a thong is kind of making things a little uncomfortable.” Jacob said, blushing.
“Sorry.” I said as I got up and put my miniskirt on. Then I sat down on Jacob’s lap again, “Is that better?”
“Very. Although I have a perfect picture of your butt in my memory.”
“Oh. Well let’s take your mind off that, shall we?” I asked him. He looked so cute with his shaggy brown hair almost in his eyes and so confused that I just chuckled and turned so we were facing each other. Then I pulled his face towards mine and just as my lips were about to touch his, I saw Matt outside my window with a video camera.
“Oh my god. You’re dead.” I muttered under my breath. Apparently it wasn’t too quiet.
“Why am I dead? Why did you stop?” Jake asked as he looked breathlessly into my eyes.
“Nothing, I just have to take care of something really quick.” I said, “Stay here and don’t talk.” I said that to Jacob. Then I got up and walked out of my room. I shut it behind me and then I heard Matt knock on my window inside my room. Once I knew he was inside I ran into his room and pushed his bookcase to the right and there was the laundry shoot. I slid down it and stepped into the basement. Half of it was considered Matts. It’s where all of his “toys” are, so no one goes in there. Except me. Well right now at least.
As soon as I walked in there I noticed the big screen TV. It makes me wonder where he gets all this money. On the big screen TV was Jacob. He was talking. I turned the volume up and listened as I searched for any tapes with names like Annabella or Annabellas secrets or anything like that.
“Well I really like her and she is really pretty and nice.” I heard Jacob say. I had told him not to talk. I guess he didn’t get the point of don’t talk.
“So do you want to like date her?” This was from Matt.
“Yeah I guess but I don’t want to lose her as a friend.” I stopped moving. How long had he liked me? How long had this been going on? I thought about this as I heard Jacob and when I found an entire drawer of his desk full of “Annabelle” stuff. I gasped. I couldn’t help it. I kept the TV on and pulled a CD out of the drawer labeled with today’s date.
When I put it into the computer I hardly heard Jacob answering Matt’s next question. How long had you liked her? Forever. I decided I would deal with them later, and I turned to the computer, anxious and curious.
PEST! That little idiot! He had caught Jacob and I you know… kissing and the look on my face when I realized we had to stop. It looked regretful and sad, but determined and I realized that even though we’d been best friends, we could still try to be more. Who knows? I still hated Matt though. I can’t believe it. He had a secret room down here that was focused on me. Why? I don’t think it was because he wanted to know if Jacob and I were together. He could have just asked. I think it was because he wanted to get money. Then a question popped into my head again. How did he afford all this stuff?
He had a 72” screen TV, a DVD player, a top of the line computer with the works, and like 10 million CD’s. Then I had another question. Didn’t he say something about “a killing on You-Tube?” I logged onto the web and got onto You-Tube. One of the top videos of the week was of my room? I watched it and got so mad. I was practicing my stripping. I was going to audition for the teen strip club downtown a few years ago and I had to practice. I stopped right after I heard a knock on my door. It was my friend Melinda. She came in and I showed her my audition and from the video you’d swear I was a lesbian. I realized I never did go to that audition. I wonder if I should because honestly I look pretty hot. I tried to log onto Matt’s You-Tube page to delete it and I needed a password. That was easy. He has the same password for everything.
MFis#1
Not true, but nonetheless his password. Once I was on his page, I deleted every video that I was in. Then once that was done, I logged off of his page and took all of the tapes in the drawer out. One by one, I put them back in the drawer, but only once I had taken all the tape out and run it back and forth over my fingers. I was so enveloped in my work, that I didn’t notice the lack of speech on Jacob’s part. When I glanced up I noticed that the room was empty. Then I heard feet on the steps. I finished what I was doing quickly and then ran behind the TV. When I snuck a glance, I saw Jacob down here too. Then a thought clashed into my head. Why was he down here? Did Matt bribe him down there?
I heard them talking and then I realized with humor that Matt was going into his drawer filled of ruined tapes. Then I snuck another glance because I couldn’t miss his face. When he opened the drawer, you probably could have heard his gasp five miles away. The sheer horror of the complexity of emotions running across his face was hilarious. Anger, embarrassment, wonder, and anger again.
“Who the f…” Matt started.
“Watch your mouth young man.” I said as I came out from behind the TV. I saw all those emotions fly across his face again, “Hey Jacob. So why didn’t you tell me you liked me again? I must have been too busy to hear you.”
That’s when he realized that you could hear the music from the video game that was playing in my room through the TV.
“I told Matt that I didn’t want to jeopardize our friendship. It was too important to me.” He said with a flush coming into his cheeks.
“Oh, well if you had told me like two weeks ago, I would have welcomed it. However, since you feel like you can open up to a ten year old and not the focus of your undying love, you can have him.” I said trying to look angry as I went up the steps. I almost got to the second set of stairs when my arm was pulled back. It was Jacob.
“Wait a minute, you’re the one who shoved your thong in my face and almost kissed me.”
“You’re the one that kissed me first.” I said pleased that my plan was working. I love seeing a guy angry.
“Oh, so you want to play the second grade ‘you did it first’ game do you? Well two can play that game sweetheart.” Jacob said, then he framed my face with his painter’s hands and his lips stopped a centimeter of mine. I heard a sharp intake of breath and with a shock, realized it was mine. Then he was kissing me, and I’m not talking about a kiss that makes you see stars. I’m talking about a kiss that makes you lust after what you want. I think Jacob wanted to get me into bed and he probably would have if I hadn’t of heard Matt.
“Filming live at 426 Reech Lane, New York City, New York, zip code 10017. Jacob Smith and Annabella Ford. Live to you from Matt Ford.”
“MATTHEW TYLER FORD! Put that damn camera down and go play with your Barbie’s.” I said as I stared into Jake’s eyes. This is corny but I never realized what color his eyes were. They weren’t green, they were rainbow. I saw yellow and blue, which makes green, and red and purple. I saw brown and a tint of orange.
“I do not play with Barbie’s.” Matt said as he slunk down the stairs reluctantly.
“So where were we?” Jake asked.
“Right here.” I answered, then I kissed him again expecting the same lusting feeling, but he changed it on me. All of a sudden, I was falling down a deep spiral staircase. Not literally, but it felt like it. I was spinning and my heart was going down the stairs, farther and farther until I lost all thought and all memory. It was slow, seducing, and so so so wonderful. I cursed at Jacob for doing this to me.
“What?” He asked as he pulled back from me, visibly reluctant. That’s when we heard the door open. Since we were right around the corner from the door, we both froze.
“It’s probably just Tiffany,” I said, but then I realized that my parents were due home at ten that night and it was pretty dark out. I glanced at the clock on the wall and it said ten fifteen, “Or my parents.”
“What?” Jacob screamed in a whispering tone, “I have to go. Well to your room at least.”
“Go up the back stairs, but stay to the left side. The rest squeaks. And skip the second step.” I said. There was a stairway in the kitchen that leads to the end of the hallway closest to my room. Very efficient for sneaking people or things to my room, other than my outside entrance.
“Kay, see up upstairs Bella.” Jake said as he looked into my eyes for a piercing split second. I forgot everything and everyone. It’s amazing how one look from a guy can make you melt and make you totally forget what is going on around you.
♠ ♠ ♠
just the first chapter and the first draft :) any help would be welcome
<3 liz