One Good Reason

Chapter 2

“Annabella? Sweetheart, are you alright?” My mother asked, in a voice that mirrored my own. I slowly lowered myself into the nearest chair. I was still dizzy from the ‘look.’
“What?” I asked.
“Annabella, sweetie, it’s your mother. What in god’s name is wrong?” She asked me.
“I’m in love.” I said.
“What? You are too young to be in love. Who is it?” She asked, trying to be my friend and mother at the same time.
“I’ll have you know that I’m sixteen and it’s… what?” I asked snapping out of my trance just in time to not give Jake away.
“What? You were getting ready to fill me in on your love life.”
“No I wasn’t. I’ve got homework. ‘Night.” I said, scurrying up the stairs. When I was on the landing, I stopped myself and leaned against the wall. I couldn’t believe I had actually just told my mother that I was in love. She’ll never leave me alone now. I eavesdropped on my mother as my father came into the room.
“Sweetie, I’m concerned about Bella. She is in love apparently and I think we need to sit down and have the you-know-what talk with her.” My mother, Hilary, said.
“The sex talk?” My father, Tom, asked.
“Yes.” Hilary answered.
“I don’t think so. She’s very responsible.” Tom said. Good old dad, I thought. Then I hurried up the steps, confident that my dad would win. When I stepped into my room, Jacob was lying on my bed with a lazy expression.
“Hey.” Jacob said softly.
“Hey. The ‘rents are down there arguing as to whether they need to talk to me or not.” I said.
“Oh. Well, let them do that, but you come here.”
“Why?”
“Because I want to kiss you.” Jacob said.
“Oh.” I said as I felt a flush come onto my cheeks. I crossed the room though. He stood up and his arms circled around my waist. “Before you do that, can you answer a question?”
“Anything for you.” Jacob answered.
“Oh… well… why do you like me? I know that sounds totally fif…” Jacob interrupted me. His finger was on my lips, shushing me.
“Because not only are you gorgeous, but you’re just like me. Well, not just like me, but you like video games, baseball, and art. Same as me. You like to read, which most girls don’t and you’ve got a heart of gold.” Jacob said, then his voice turned to a teasing tone, “Just like me.”
“Good answer.” I said, shocked, but not at the same time.
“Your turn. Why do you like me? And you’re right, that totally sounds like fifth grade with the little notes you’d pass each other with yes and no checkboxes.”
“Well, not only are you gorgeous, but you’re just like me.” I joked, “No but really you’re really hot with your sexy rainbow eyes and six-pack. We have a lot of stuff in common and have known each other forever. I know some people say that once you get your diapers changed next to each other, there can never be romance between you, but there can, and there is between us. Jake, I- I like you a lot.”
“I like you a lot too Bells.” Jacob said then he leaned down and cupped my face with his hands, giving me the gentlest kiss. Have you ever heard that quote…? ‘Good things come to those who wait’? Well I guess God was making me wait a little bit more because there was a knock on my door.
“Bella, why is your door locked? You don’t have a boy in there do you?” My mother asked as I hid Jacob in the closet. Reluctantly, I have to admit. I skipped over to open my door.
“No mom, why would I?” I asked trying to get my breathing under wraps. It was a little shaky, but only a little. Not.
“Just curious. You’re getting to be a young woman and you’re very pretty so guys will want what guys always want. Your virginity.”
I decided to play with her.
“What virginity?” I asked.
“Bella!” My dad said as he looked at me in confusion and amusement at the same time like he knew I was just playing, but he wasn’t totally sure.
“Chillax pops. I’m just playing with you.” I said.
“Good.” He seemed to calm down a little bit.
“Bella, this is no laughing matter. I didn’t lose my virginity until I was married to your father.” My mother said. I couldn’t help myself; I bursted out with laughter. “Bella!”
“Sorry. You’re the one that’s making it funny and besides it’s not like I plan to go out and have sex tonight. The only reason I told you what I told you was because I was high.” I said. It was easier than telling her I was lovestruck. And I didn’t want to say ‘the only reason I told you I was in love was because I am’ because Jacob was in the closet!!!
“What? That you were in love?” Too late. Moms ruin everything. I heard an intake of breath from the closet which means if I could hear it, so could they. I yelped and fell down to the floor. I didn’t know what else to do. “Are you okay Bella?”
“Yeah. I just had a really bad sharp pain in my shoulder. If you don’t mind, I think I’ll just lay down with a heating pad.” I said, silently wishing they would take the hint and leave.
“Okay. Honey?” Mom asked dad, “Be a doll and go get the heating pad from downstairs. I want to talk to Bella about you-know-what.”
“More sex talk?” I groaned as my dad left.
“No. This is about Jacob.” My mom said and by the way she searched my face, I knew she was looking for any indication that I knew where he was. And I’m a good actress so you know I didn’t give anything away.
“Is he alright? Has he been hurt? How’s his dad?” I started firing questions as I stood up and started pacing, “His dad is okay right? And he hasn’t been in a car accident?”
“Bells, slow down! Jacob’s dad is fine. But it’s Jacob I’m worried about. The doctors told him his dad had three months to live and he’s gone now.” My mother said.
“THEY TOLD HIM WHAT?” I screamed. I am such a good actress, I’m jealous of myself! Maybe I should join the drama club at school.
“Well, they didn’t exactly tell him that,” My mother tried to explain, “but, he must have been eavesdropping because they were telling me that.”
“So you knew? And you didn’t tell me? What kind of a mother are you?” My dad walked in just in time to hear my question. I grabbed the heating pad from his hands, “I’ll tell you. One who will leave me alone until noon tomorrow. I need my rest.” Then I showed them the door and surprisingly? They left. I locked the door after them, then waited with my ear at the door until I heard their retreating footsteps.
“Jac-“ I said as I was interrupted. We seem to keep bumping into each other because when I turned around to open the closet, he was right there looking into my eyes for something, searching for something, and then if my mind is true and pure, he found something. He took my mouth with such a fury that I was honestly scared for a second. If someone wanted me to describe that moment what would I say? Pure lust.
“You’re really in love with me?” He asked.
“Jake, you heard my parents. No devirginitizing and… I think so.” I said as his mouth skid down to my neck.
“You’re a virgin?” Jacob asked, stopping just long enough to ask that.
“Yes I am.” I said with pride in my voice. I planned to wait until I was married, “Why? Aren’t you?”
“Yeah, but don’t tell anyone. My brothers think I’ve been doing Mackenz for the past three years. And I think I’m in love with you too.”
“Nice. Say that to the girl that you’re kissing… way too low. Really?” I said as I grabbed his chin and pulled his mouth back to mine, “And my priest is right. You should wait until your ready. And I’m ready.”
“Are you sure?” Jacob asked as he looked into my eyes for the second time that night with that piercing stare. I could tell he loved me.
“Did I stutter?” I asked.
“No, but you’re not giving me a direct answer.”
“Fine. Then yes, Jacob, I’m ready.” I said.
“What about the whole no losing your virginity thing?” He asked, as he went back to kissing my neck and a little bit lower than that.
“Who said anything about losing it? I’ll know where it is,” I answered. Then he pulled my shirt up and over my head, tracing a line with his lips. I shivered involuntarily. Then I straightened myself out. This is Jacob and I am Annabella. We are best friends and now we are in love. This is the next step. I am ready. With that, I pushed him back towards the bed, pulling his shirt up an inch for each step we took. By the time we reached the bed, he was shirtless and his perfectness took my breath away. He had definitely been working out.
I pushed him onto the bed and leaned over him, kissing him as I unbuttoned his pants. I slid them down and then off. Once they were on the floor and out of our way, I skimmed my knuckles over his thigh and watched as he trembled. He sat up and then, in one quick movement, I was lying on the bed and he was leaning over top of me. He unbuttoned my skirt and slid it down. Once that was thrown on the floor, he looked at me and gave me an evil little grin.
“What?” I asked, wanting to know what he was smiling about and why he stopped.
“I’ve pictured this moment and it’s just funny because I always saw you wearing a skirt and a yellow shirt.” Jake answered.
“Déjà vu.” I said, then I pulled his lips down to mine. While I was prepared for lust and the passion we had shared on the first floor just a bit earlier, he surprised me by rubbing his lips over mine, temptingly and teasingly. Jake reached behind my back and subtly unsnapped my bra. Then he dragged the straps down with his teeth and then tossed it over his head.
“I must say, you’re as pretty underneath as you are on top.” Jacob said with a teasing glance. His eyes skipped back down and then grinned.
“Let’s say if I can say the same about you.” I said, trying to remember what I’d read in my romance books. Nora Roberts gives pretty good details, but I wasn’t sure I wanted to follow all of them. I pulled down his boxers, which had hearts on them by the way, and chuckled. “Yeah, not bad Jake, not bad.”
Switching spots again, I laid on top of him and kissed him with all the lust I had holed up inside of me. And then when we fell asleep, my heart was filled with love and pure amazement.

“Wow.” I said as I walked into the kitchen the next morning, “It smells amazing in here.” I hadn’t walked more than three steps towards the table when Tiffany jumped up and pulled me back out of the room.
“Alright, spill. Who, when, where?” She asked.
“I’m confused.” I answered.
“You are positively glowing. You totally got laid last night.” Tiffany said.
“I have no idea what you are talking about.” I said, trying to wiggle out of her grip on my arm and trying to figure out how in the world she knew that.
“If I noticed, mom will notice, so I’d advise you not to go in there. Yet at least.”
“I have no idea what you are talking about and how do you know I got laid?” I asked, curiosity getting the better of me.
“Let’s go upstairs and talk.” Tiffany said. I figured she’d take me to her room so I didn’t make a big fuss about it, but all of a sudden, she opened my door. That was when I realized I had forgotten to lock it.
“Shit.” I said under my breath.
“Hey ba… Tiffany.” Jacob said, as he sat up in my bed and made sure the covers were covering him.
“Oh my God.” Tiffany said, then turning to me, “Jacob?”
“Bye Jake. Tiffany, your room. Now.” I said, closing my door and leading the way into her room. Not even her spider that came from the ceiling scared me. “Alright, tell me how you knew and then I’ll answer questions.”
“You were glowing. Reminded me of how I looked last night, but anyway, Mom taught me how to…”
“What do you mean how you looked last night? You and Johnathon? Ew!” I said. Never in a million years would I have pictured them together.
“We’re talking about you here. All right, I know the who and the where and I’m gonna guess the when and I also know the what, but why and oh my god. My baby sister isn’t a virgin anymore. Give me a sec.” Tiffany said as she got up and went to her diary. She unlocked it with the key around her neck and scribbled something in it, then walked back to where I sat on her bed.
“Oh my god, I don’t know. He kissed me yesterday, then saved my life, then I kissed him, and he kissed me again, and then mom and dad gave me the whole you-know-what talk and then I totally did the opposite of what mom told me too. Kind of ironic though because I told them they didn’t need to give me the talk because it wasn’t like I was going to go out and have sex tonight and then holy shit, I had sex last night. Just kind of funny I guess.” I said, chuckling.
“So, how was it?”
“Horrible, incredibly weird, but great and incredibly amazing.”
“Sounds like my first time too. You used a condom, right?”
“Of course, I just stole one from your stash.” I said, not kidding, but she laughed.
“What stash?” Tiff asked, playing dumb.
“This stash,” I said as I stood up and pulled her up. Once we were both off of her bed, I lifted the mattress a little and pulled out a ziploc bag filled with little multicolored squares.
“Oh, that stash.” Tiff said, blushing.
“Alright, enough of this, Jacob and I are hungry.” I said walking to the door with her on my tail, then suddenly I remembered something and stopped, while Tiffany bumped into me.
“You could have told me you were going to stop.” She said.
“You can’t tell anyone about Jacob being here. Mom and dad think he’s missing. He’s here because he doesn’t want to be found. If you let this slip, I will never tell you anything again and I will ruin your life.” I said seriously.
“Okay. Where’s Jacob by the way?” Tiffany said. I got my actress skills from her, so I wasn’t really all that worried. We walked downstairs together, stopping to tell Jake to lock the door. Once we got to the kitchen, Tiffany had finished lecturing me on how to conceal my “glow.” I walked towards the fridge with my head low, thinking of my grandpa dying. Anything other than last night.
“Hey honey,” my mom said, “How are you feeling? Your arm?”
“Much better.” I said, keeping my head low as I got cream cheese and a bottle of water out of the fridge. I grabbed two bagels and a knife and prepared to go back upstairs.
“Sweetie, is something wrong? You seem… distracted.”
“Nope Mom, I’m great. You?”
“Fine. I’m… I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about Jacob’s dad. I just didn’t want to worry you,” she said. “I have another problem too. I tried calling Jacob’s house and no one’s answering. Do you know where he is or his cell number?”
“His cell is 345-9622 and no I don’t know where he is.” I said, then I left the kitchen as she started dialing.
“Jacob, where…” That was all I heard of their conversation. A few seconds later, I knocked on my door and said our code.
“How, but…” Jake said as I walked in with the food.
“What are you talking about?” I asked.
“Bells, I think I just told your mom where I was.” He said, then there was a knock on my door. Or a bang I should say.
“ANNABELLA MARIE FORD! OPEN THIS DOOR AT ONCE! HOW DARE YOU LIE TO ME AND HOW DARE YOU DEVIRGINITIZE YOURSELF AT SUCH A YOUNG AGE!” My mom’s voice rang loud and clear throughout the entire house.
“What are you talking about?” I asked with a sense of déjà vu as I opened the door.
“Jacob is here, isn’t he?” she asked as she stormed into my room. She opened my closet, looked under my bed and behind my TV stand. Where she didn’t look was where he was. I could just picture him and I almost started laughing. His 6’3’’, solid building of a body squeezed into the tiny space of my hollowed second dresser with all my other things. A few years ago I decided that I needed a place to stash secret things so I hollowed out my second dresser. The hollow space was cluttered with everything. My old diaries, old textbooks, my thongs, and anything else my mother wouldn’t approve of. That’s where Jacob was as my mother and I spoke. Along with his backpack and his clothes.
“Jacob?” I asked, putting a confused look on my face, “no.”
“I called his cell and when I asked him where he was, he said, and I quote ‘upstairs silly. Oh crap, there’s someone coming up the stairs, gotta go, love you Bells.’’’ My mom said. I tried not to melt and give us away when she said he’d said ‘love you’.
“So? He’s upstairs in his house. So what?”
“You guys say ‘love you’ at the end of your conversations now?”
“Yeah. I mean, we’re like best friends and I really don’t tell anyone I love them anymore.” I improvised and just to help my case, “I love you Mommy.”
“Well in… wait a second. What’s that? On the floor?” my mom asked as she walked over to my bed and picked up a purple square: a.k.a. the condom wrapper. “Bella?”
“Oh my god Mom, you’re having sex in my room again? Gross!” I said, then pivoting on my heel I walked out of my room and into Tiffany’s. “Help!”
“What?” she asked just before Mom came storming in.
“Bella, you are a virgin, right?” she asked me, giving me one of ‘those I-want-to-believe-you-but-the-facts-point-to-you-being-guilty’ looks.
“Yes mom! God! I don’t know whose condom that was!” I said, getting an annoyed look on my face.
“Bella, tell me the truth!”
“God! You are such a jerk! I am telling you the truth!” As I said this, I made myself tear up so it looked like I was crying. I’m telling you, I’m the greatest actress you will ever meet.
“I’ll just make an appointment to get you x-rayed then. I’ll prove you’re lying.”
“GOD! Jerk! I hate you!” I said, then running past her with real tears pouring out of my eyes, I ran into my room, locking the door behind me. Then I whispered to Jake that it was all clear. He came out of his hiding spot and walked over to me. His arms circled my waist and held me close. I leaned into him, my tears staining his shirt and my sobs making horrendous sounds.
“It’s okay Bells. It’s gonna be okay.” Jacob managed. I wanted so badly to believe him. “Come here.” He said, pulling me towards my bed. He laid down and pulled me down, tucking me perfectly into him. I never knew he was a cuddler, but that made me think he was all the more made for me.
“Jake, I fell like I’m betraying everyone I love,” I whispered into the warm air. “I’ve never lied to my mom and I destroyed Matt’s tapes. I went into Melody and Harmony’s room and I drug Tiff into this whole thing. I betrayed you by not telling everyone about us. I just don’t know what to do.
“It’ll all be okay. We’ll overcome it.” He said encouragingly.
“I just don’t think it’s the right time for all of this. I mean, my parents, your dad, my brother, me, you. You’re the right guy, but this is really bad timing.” I sat up, breaking contact with him.
“What are you saying Bella?” Jake asked as he focused his eyes on mine.
“I don’t know Jake. I really don’t know. I need to think.” I stood up, cursing myself, shaking, and refusing to make eye contact. I changed into a tank top, a hoodie, and jeans. “I have to go. I’ll see you around four.”
“Where are you going?”
“School.” Once my hair was put into a ponytail and my feet slipped into the nearest pair of flip-flops, I grabbed my backpack and walked out of my room. Left, right, left, right. Down steps. Across the foyer. Open door. Down more steps. Sidewalk.
“Bella!” I stopped walking when I heard Jacob call my name. He was running towards me one second and the next second his lips were on mine. I ached for something I couldn't have. I could feel his fingers playing over the back of my neck, pulling me closer to him, while his other fingers massaged my back. His tongue caressed mine as it slipped inside my mouth. Then he pulled away and that ache got deeper.
“While you’re thinking today, remember that and remember this,” Jake said looking, searching, for something in my eyes, “Bella, I love you. People say that nobody can fall in love at such a young age. That you have to find yourself first. That you don’t know what you want yet. That you aren’t ready. Bells, I am. It’s always been you and it always will be.” With that, he walked away. I didn’t know what to say. I don’t know how I feel or if I’m ready for that kind of commitment. I was so numb with thought and feeling that I just stood there.
BEEP! BEEP! I looked up and my vision was filled with yellow and black. My bus, number 617.
“You getting’ on the bus lil’ lady?” Rodney, the brainless, brawny, and bellowing bus driver, asked.
“Umm…” I looked back towards the house. Jacob was probably playing video games on mute and eating both the bagels I brought upstairs. With a pound of cream cheese probably too. Or maybe I could let myself believe he was lying there thinking of me. “Yeah.” I climbed onto the bus, slowly but surely, and took a seat towards the front. As I reached for my iPod out of my backpack, Sophia and Olive came up to my seat.
“Hey, Bells, you okay?” Sophia White asked.
“Yeah, you didn’t come and fight me for the empty seat that we saved.” Olive Thompson added.
I put in my headphones and searched for my favorite uplifting song. Once I found it, I turned it up loud and shut my eyes, blocking out all words and feelings. I even made myself believe I was flying so I wouldn’t feel when the bus stopped for more people. “Fine.”
“I think she’s mad at us.” Olive said.
“No dip Sherlock.” Sophia said sarcastically. The song wasn’t working miracles today I guess, so I pulled a headphone out of one ear subtly and rested it on my shoulder so I could hear their conversation.
“Well, I didn’t do anything, so it must have been you.”
“Me?” Sophia claimed, “I haven’t talked to her since Friday. You’re the one who talked to her Saturday dummy.”
“What’s with all the name calling?” A baritone voice said from the seat in front of us. I turned my iPod off very quickly.
“Jake?” I asked quietly. He turned around and when those multi-colored eyes focused on mine for the second time that morning, I bit my lip. Then I plunged forward, my lips finding his easily. I heard his gasp and mine as well. I drew out the kiss not wanting it to end, but also wondering what I would say when it did.
“Bella? Why did you just kiss Jacob?” Sophia asked.
“I honestly thought you were just friends.” Olive said.
“I love you too,” I said softly, “but I don’t think I’m totally ready for everything you’ve thrown at me. Unlike you, I haven’t loved you forever. That sounds totally awful. What I mean is that-“ He interrupted me with his lips on mine again. This time it was soft with a hint of the passion we had shared.
“I can wait.” He murmured against my lips.
“Okay, did you just use the L word?” Olive asked me as I sat back in my seat, still focused on Jake. “Hello? Earth to Annabella!”
She waved her hand in front of my eyes, actually breaking the cosmic connections Jake and I were sharing. I turned on her, my eyes cold and my heart bitter, towards my friend of ten years. I had no idea what had gotten into me.
“Could you not maybe?” I asked, surprised at the hostility in my voice.
“Jeez, sorry Ms. Bella. I didn’t mean to be a bad student.” She said, returning the hostility in the form of sarcasm. She stood up, Sophia standing right with her. They walked single file to the back of the bus. I jumped up to go after them and just when I was about to reach out to them, the bus jerked backwards. That was the last thing I knew.
This time, for my magic trick, I was on the sidewalk with a shirt under my head as a pillow. Jake’s face clouded my vision, and unlike earlier with the bus, it was welcoming.
“Hey.” He said softly.
“What happened? Where am I?” I asked, struggling to sit up. I fell back against the ground with a thud. “Uh, my leg.” I screamed out in pain.
“Focus on breathing and on the sky.” Jake said, still speaking quietly. So focusing on what his voice and what he told me to, I stretched beyond the material world. My grandfather had a part in this ability.
“When I was little,” I whispered, “about… two, my grandfather would play this ga… game with me… He’d tell me to pretend that someone… someone was after me, about to… kill me. I remember my… mom getting so upset… that he was telling me this. He… taught me how to make… pain go away. All you have to do,… he said, was float up above the world… Make everything go away, clear your head. While he… mastered this… ability, I learned I can only do it if my heart’s hard too… and it’s not… Jake. Not towards… Sophia or Olive… not towards Tiff… and especially not towards… you. Jake…” Then everything went black for the second time in the day.