Status: In Progress.

Playing The Hot Corner

Chicago Day 1: Um...Kevin?

Hello, Brooklyn – All Time Low

“So, we’re here a day early. And we’re kidnapping you, by the way.”

“Aw, Joe, why?” I whined. We had arrived in Chicago for one of our White Sox series a day before our game and I hadn’t been planning on a day out.

“Jess, don’t tell me you forgot your own birthday.”

I stopped walking down the hallway of the hotel. “Oh my God, I can’t believe I did that.”

Joe started laughing, wrapping an arm around my waist while he slid the room key through the sensor. “Don’t worry. We’ll have fun.”

“Who’s we?” I asked, tossing my bag on the floor

“Me, you, Justin, Michael, and Kevin.”

“I dunno. Even for me, you guys might get a little wild.” I smirked as Joe rolled his eyes.

“I’ll be right back. I’m going to get ice.” He grabbed the plastic bucket and headed for the door. As soon as he opened it, I heard him shout in surprise.

“Hi to you too, Joe,” Justin’s voice said. “Where’s the birthday girl?” He stuttered over the g in girl, as if reminding himself which word to use.

“In there. I’ll be back.”

Suddenly I was attacked from behind and lifted into the air. I yelped and grabbed on to the arms that held me.

“Happy 19th, Jess!” I felt Justin’s voice rumble through my back.

“Why am I being held in the air by a giant Canadian?” I laughed.

“You have no idea how many women want to be in your place right now,” Justin scoffed.

“Michael! Kevin! Save me!”

“Nope, sorry, Babe.”

Justin set me down and I turned to shove him playfully. “Jerk.”

“Nuh uh.”

“Yuh huh!”

“Nuh uh!”

“Children!” Michael cried. “Jeez, you’re more chaotic than my son.”

“Your son’s only a year old.”

“I know. He started walking and running around. We can barely keep up with him.”

“Hey, Jess? You know there’s only one bed in here, right?”

“Yeah, so?”

“So you’re sharing with Joe for four nights?”

“No big deal. We’ve slept together before.”

All of the guys in the room, including the still-quiet Kevin, raised their eyebrows. It took me a second to recognize the double meaning.

Oh. No, no, no. Not that way. We’ve just slept in the same bed before.” I could just feel my face going brick-red.

“Okay, guys, ready to go?” Joe said as he came in, saving me from the awkwardness.

“Wait, I have to change!” I exclaimed. I was wearing a pair of sweats and a loose t-shirt, and I wasn’t about to spend a day in Chicago, my first day off with friends in a long time, looking like a lazy bum.

“You know, we’ve never seen you in anything remotely feminine,” Kevin said thoughtfully.

“Yes, yes. I’m working on it,” I grumbled, rummaging through my suitcase. I pulled out my outfit and went in the bathroom to change. The guys were talking about something outside, but I couldn’t hear what they were saying. I let my wavy hair down and glanced in the mirror, debating on wearing a little eyeliner. I decided for it, accenting my eye just the slightest bit. I left the bathroom feeling like I usually did when I underwent my transformation – a different person than Jesse Parker. I was Jess now.

Justin let out a low whistle. Michael, the married man, mused, “Wow,” while Kevin just stared.

“Guys,” I chuckled. “Nothing special.” I slipped my pair of Ray-ban shades on. “You should see me when I really dress up.”

~

Pictures. There were tons of pictures. Both Joe and Justin brought cameras, and while we roamed downtown Chicago and Millenium Park, the most random points in time were frozen on camera. One was of Kevin and me going under the cloud gate sculpture, back-to-back with the same expressions of awe on our faces Joe took one of Justin giving me a piggy-back ride, and another of the rest of us sitting by the lake. My favorite, though, was candid shot of Joe and me that Justin took. I had my arms around his neck and his were around my waist, hugging me close. I was giving him a kiss on the cheek and he had this look of utter happiness and content on his face as he stared out over the glimmering lake.

The five of us went out to lunch at a traditional Chicago-style pizza place, and I was amazed at how much we baseball players could pack away at one meal.

“Do you realize that the five of us just ate three pizzas?”

“Yeah. I can usually eat one by myself,” Michael said with a shrug.

“Well, that explains it,” Kevin mused.

I laughed and pulled out my vibrating cell phone, opening the new text message.

You’re staying free tonight, okay? I’m taking you out for dinner.

I glanced up at Joe, who had sent the message from across the table.

What sort of dress? I sent back.

Well, fancy. Do you have anything?

Of course I didn’t have anything! I was in town to play baseball, for Pete’s sake, not to dress up! I sighed, sending back, Nope, I need to go shopping, then. When are we going to be done here?

As if on cue, Justin stretched and yawned. “Hey, you guys, you feel like going back? I’m exhausted after the drive and running around all day.”

“I think so.”
You want me to come with you? Joe texted as we headed out the door.

Psh, you can’t see what I’m going to wear if you’re the one taking me out! I texted back, smiling.

“I’ll see you guys back at the hotel. I have a few things to do downtown here. See you later.”

Each of them gave me a hug before I left, saying “Happy Birthday” again. I waved to them and headed towards Michigan Avenue, pondering. I gazed up at all the multi-story shops, not having a single clue about any of them.

“Now. Where to start.”

~

I ended up in a small shop that had a good selection of dresses. Once I got myself in, I had no idea where to go from there.

“Hi, can I help you?” A young woman probably a little older than me came up with a smile on her face. She looked like she knew what she was doing.

“Um, yeah, actually. I need to find a dress for a dinner date thing tonight and I have no idea what I’m doing,” I said sheepishly.

She giggled. “Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. I’m Amanda, by the way.” She asked for my pant and shirt sizes, then took me over to a rack full of short cocktail dresses.

“So is there anything really specific about your body? Not to pry or anything, I’m just trying to figure out the type of dress would look best on you.”

“Well, I have man-shoulders for sure. I’m an athlete.”

She nodded. “I thought so. You look like the perfect blend between strength and figure.” She shuffled through the dresses and pulled out three. “Do you have time to try a few on?”

“I can do that, yeah.”

First I tried the purple one on. Purple is one of my favorite colors, but I couldn’t see myself wearing the dress with a sweetheart neckline and a layer of taffeta underneath. It was more like a prom dress than something to go out to dinner in. Apparently Amanda agreed with me when I expressed this.

“Yeah, I don’t think this one works. I don’t know you very well, but you look uncomfortable.”

“You’re right. One sec.” I changed into the royal blue one shoulder dress, which ran extremely short on my long thigh.

“Hm. You have long legs too.” Amanda thought for a moment, then a look of comprehension dawned in her eyes. “I’ve got it. Stay here for one second.”

I watched as she darted back into the front of the store, looking through the cocktail dresses again. That’s when I saw the least likely person to ever be in a dress shop. He had a baseball cap pulled down so it covered his eyes, but I would recognize him anywhere.

“Um…Kevin?”

His head snapped up, a look of pure relief on his face. “Jess. Thank God, I thought I’d never find you.”

“Joe sent you, didn’t he?” I sighed.

“Yeah, well, he’s being protective. He said you’d probably think he was trying to spy and find out what you were wearing, but he told me to tell you that he didn’t want you to get mugged or something.”

“Sometimes I swear he’s my older brother. Thanks, Kev.”

“That dress is a little short, isn’t it?” he said, looking down at my legs.

“Yeah, she’s getting me one that she thinks will be better. I’m not exactly a dress aficionado, you know. Now you’re going to help be the judge on how I look.”

“Why me?”

“You’re a guy.” I shrugged.

“Here,” Amanda said, coming back and handing me one more dress. “I think you’ll like this one.”

I took the royal blue one off – I was okay with that, I wore royal blue most of the week anyways – and put the light aqua blue one on. I knew right away it was the one I wanted, but I had to get some approval.

I stepped out of the dressing room, and Kevin started gaping again. Amanda smiled and nodded.

“It’s perfect. Doesn’t accent your shoulders too much, but brings out the fact that you’re really in shape,” she said, going over me.

“What do you think, Kev?”

“I…You’re…I mean, it’s gorgeous.”

“Thanks,” I chuckled. “What kind of shoes do you recommend with this?” I asked, turning to Amanda.

“Well, I’d say if you can find a black pair of gladiator sandals, those would work best with your height and legs. If not, a small pair of black pumps will do.”

“I’ll take it.”

~

I got ready in Kevin’s room because Joe was in ours, and I still refused to let him see what I looked like until we were ready to leave. I put the finishing touches on my slightly smoky eyes and pulled my hair back into a loose bun, letting a few strands fall loose and frame my face. My outfit was perfectly coordinated – I had brought a black clutch with me, and I found the gladiator sandals, too. Kevin had to keep reminding me that I was on a baseball salary now – I could afford a nice pair of shoes and a pretty dress.

I finished in the bathroom and stepped out to show Kevin.

“Wow, Babe. You look fantastic,” he stuttered.

“Kevin, you’re adorable.”

“What? Why?”

“Oh, nothing,” I said, giving him a hug. “I’m off. See you tomorrow if I don’t when we get back?”

“Hold on.” He took my hand and held it over my head, flicking his wrist to spin me. I giggled as I did so, and there was a huge smile on his face.

“Thanks, Kev.”

“No problem. Have fun.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I love thsi chapter - it was so fun to write.
Since we aren't allowed to put links in chapters and stuff anymore... this is what Jess wore around Chicago, and this is her formal wear.
okay, so THIS is the last chapter before the lack of internet. a.k.a, this is the last one for a while. Feedback would be awesome :D