Status: In Progress.

Playing The Hot Corner

The Confrontation

Airplanes - B.O.B. feat. Hayley Williams

Joe’s P.O.V.
I watched Jess storm down the stairs after the umpire’s call. I couldn’t blame her, really – her ex-boyfriend showed up on the team she was playing against, struck her out, and then was the antagonist of a wrongful call that could have turned the game around.

I started heading after her, but was suddenly stopped by a hand grasping my shoulder. I turned around to see Charlie, an angry look on his face.

“She left me for you, didn’t she?”

“What?” I said, kind of stunned. I hadn’t ever seen Charlie really pissed off before, and him mentioning the idea of Jess and me as a couple brought back the ache that settled just under my sternum.

“Well?”

“She didn’t, Charlie. I swear.”

“Right.” Charlie glanced over at the rest of the Twins, mainly Justin, who was watching the two have their conversation. “Or is she screwing one of them?”

“What happened to you?” I stuttered. This guy was so different than the one I last saw a year and a half ago. The Charlie from high school was always so chill, so level-headed and well-tempered. This one looked like he’d never be happy again. “What happened to Charlie Hacker, star pitcher of Cretin-Derham Hall?”

“I got left behind, that’s what,” Charlie snapped. “You ran off to be the all-star once again, and then my girlfriend just had to follow right behind you because she just can’t let go of you. I was alone, while you two stayed out there being the dream team.”

“That’s not the reason it worked out that way, Charlie,” I shot back. “We got here because we got noticed.”

“It all happened to fall together pretty well, don’t you think?”

“Joe,” Justin called. He motioned for me to come over, and I was kind of relieved. As much as I wanted the old Charlie back, I had a feeling that I wasn’t going to get it.

“Look, Charlie, drop it. That’s not how it worked at all, and you know it. I have to go.” I left Charlie standing there, suddenly needing to know where Jess was and if she was okay.

~

Jess’ P.O.V.
All the guys had come and gone through the locker room save one. I felt Joe sit down beside me as I sat facing my locker, still in my Under Armor and sliding shorts. I leaned back into him like I used to, tangling my fingers in his and hiding from the world in his arms.

“He changed, Jess. A lot.”

“Doesn’t matter. I still screwed the game.”

“No, you didn’t,” Joe said immediately. “No, you didn’t. Charlie is a good pitcher, and it’s hard to hit off of him if you haven’t been practicing with him. He’s a different guy than he was in high school.”

“What’d he say to you?”

“He tried blaming me for both of us getting into the Major Leagues, and for you two not working out.”

“That’s not how it worked,” I mumbled into his chest.

“I know. I tried telling him that, but he was convinced otherwise.”

“I just don’t know why he’s so mad at me. He seemed fine when we talked last. Then I got up to the plate and he tried killing me with his eyes.”

He held me tighter.

“I-I’ve been wondering if I made the right decision,” I stammered. “Starting to play again and all.”

“Don’t even say that. Don’t even try,” Joe declared. “You know that you were made to play baseball, and this was the best thing that could ever happen to you. I see you out on the field and you’ve got this look on your face that says you don’t want to be anywhere else.”

“Like the look I see on you?”

“As cheesy as it sounds, yeah. That look.” He stood up, his hand still holding mine. “Do you want to get back home so you can get some sleep?”

I nodded. “I just have to get normal clothes on. One second.” I stripped my Under Armor off and threw on a t-shirt, still not quite back to where I was as far as comfort level with Joe. We used to be able to change in the same room, backs to each other, still chatting about stuff. Now, he turned his back and didn’t say a word, and when I gave him the okay, his face was still was a little pink. I decided not to pull my sliders off and just put on a pair of sweatpants.
“Ready?”

I was about to reply when my phone started blaring Kung Fu Fighting – Kaitlyn’s ringtone, along with Courtney’s – and I picked it up. “Hello?”

“Hey kiddo. How’s our favorite secret all-star?” Kaitlyn greeted.

“HI!” shouted another voice in the background.

“Hey, guys,” I said, smiling a little. “Sucky game and stuff, but other than that, better than I’ve been.”

“Well, you’re about to be better. We’re coming to see you tomorrow.”

“Yay!” I shouted, making Joe jump. He sent me a questioning look, and I giggled. “So when are you getting here?”

“Tomorrow at, like, 8 AM,” Courtney said. “Kaitlyn had to go tackle the dog or something. What are you doing tomorrow until you have to be at the field?”

“Actually, I have to be there at 2. But we can hang until then.”

“You got it. We miss you.”

“Miss you guys too. Joe’s nudging me in the ‘let’s go’ fashion so I think I’m gonna let you go.”

“Okay, hon. We’ll pick you up tomorrow.”

“See you.” I hung up and slipped my phone in my pocket, poking Joe in the ribs. “Let’s go, twerp.”

I followed him out to the cab we had called and leaned on him on the way back to the hotel, slowly starting to fall asleep with the thrum of Joe’s heart in my ear.
♠ ♠ ♠
WHOA I UPDATED?
maybe, if I have any subscribers left, feedback?
(haha I still haven't stopped begging for comments even though it's been like forever since I updated)