Sing Once Again With Me

Sing Once Again With Me - Ch. 16

The carriage leaned to a stop. Then a small smile slowly spread across Ella's face. She looked over at her older brother and when he glanced back he couldn't resist an eventual, small smirk himself. Finally the two stepped down out of the carriage, took their luggage from the back and paid the driver.

They came to stand side-by-side at the base of the steps; staring up at the great monument that was called the Opera Populaire, in all its marvel and beauty. The carriage driver whipped the horse into a trot and Ella mischievously grinned at Marcus. He also grinned back with a small laugh, and hooked arms with his little sister. Then they suddenly began running up the stairs to burst through the large doors.

Inside the great room were maids and servants cleaning and keeping everything in its best condition. They smiled humorously at the two's strange behavior and a few waved at them while the duet exited into the next room. And there they found the orchestra conductor and Madame Giry discussing the problems a ballet girl was having.

"Don't worry! I'm the one separately tutoring her, she'll be performing it perfectly within a week!"

"Yes, but Madame that may be time that we just don't have!"

"Well spend your time wisely doing your job. And I'll spend my time doing my job."

Madame Giry sternly ended the heated discussion right there whether he liked it or not. He sucked in a breath and managed to politely nod to all three before quickly walking out of the room.

Marcus and Ella came to stand in front of the Madame. She smiled and happily hugged them both while saying, "Oh you're back! As you can see everything is just as hectic here as it was before you left. But just wait until little Meg hears of your arrival." Marcus laughed, "We're glad to be back." Ella only smiled in response though.

A smile being the best she could currently offer, because he mind was focused elsewhere. She could feel it... She felt it only a moment after she had entered this room. That gaze... The gaze that heated her skin like fire and quickened her heart.

She longed to see him, but just as well she wanted to see her friends. She tried to pay attention as they spoke with Madame Giry. But they eventually continued to greet some other friends and Monsieur Andre, Firmin being out on other business.

They were walking down one of the many halls, heading towards the sleeping rooms when a sudden weight was flung into them. The two somehow managed to regained their balance but they were tightly held together by a giggling Meg Giry. "You're back! Oh, I knew you would come back to me! How long has it been my darlings?" she squealed excitedly. Marcus and Ella were in a fit of laughter and unable to respond.

Eventually, the three were happily chattering away about all different topics. Soon though, Marcus had to leave them on his way to the mens sleeping rooms but Ella and Meg continued on their way. And Meg suddenly mentioned, "Oh! You probably don't know yet!"

"Know what?" Ella asked curiously.

"About the Masquerade, it's this month!"

"A Masquerade?"

"Oh, that's right, you haven't been here that long. It's the Masquerade, one of the largest balls in Paris. The celebration of the new year and it's decorated by a few theme colors: gold, black, and white."

"And it's this month?"

"It is, and you and I are going to find the perfect dresses to wear!"

They continued discussing the exciting event until they reached the ladies sleeping room. Meg offered to help unpack but Ella kindly denied and they agreed to meet in the dining hall to have lunch with Marcus. After Meg had left, Ella sighed and opened the door, slipping her bag off her shoulder.

She set the bag down and carefully closed the door. Ella felt his presence behind her before the lock even clicked into place. She spun to face him, wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him into a deep kiss. His hands slid to the middle of her back and she was pushed back against the door.

In that kiss, all was said without being spoken. She had missed him terribly and he had missed her. They knew how much they needed each other. And they knew how much they wanted each other. They loved each other - they always had.

They broke the kiss, now breathing heavier for needed air. His hands had slid down her sides to rest on her hips. He gently kissed her under her jaw and pulled her into him, waist first. He slowly planted a trail of light kisses down her neck. But she could feel the fierce hunger behind them. Her breath came quicker and she whispered his name. He only sighed longingly against her soft skin. His hot breath racked her body with sensual chills and she lightly shivered.

They remained that way for a while. Just silent, being close and savoring each others touch. Eventually though Eric softly asked after another kiss on her cheek, "How did it go? How are you?" Ella tucked a lock of hair behind her ear and playfully rolled her eyes with a smile. "Long and exhausting as you can imagine. How were you though?" He smiled, amused about something and answered, "Hoping all was well for you.. I missed you.." He leaned in to meet her in another hypnotic kiss.

She suddenly pulled back with a small gasp however, "Oh, I've forgotten Marcus and Meg are going to be waiting for me..." She sighed tiredly and picked up her back, walking over to the bed she finished, "I hope they don't plan on taking me all over the place." Eric followed her, hugging her around the waist and resting his head on her shoulder.

She soon finished unpacking, and Eric turned around to sit down on the bed. His arms were still around her waist and she in turn was pulled down to sit on his lap. She smiled and turned her head to kiss him over her shoulder. They spoke mainly of things on her trip and her arrival. But Ella soon had to meet up with the others so as to not arouse suspicion. She and Eric shared their farewell, agreeing to meet later that afternoon and she left for lunch, but she knew she wasn't alone.

The lunch was nice and instead of returning to the ladies sleeping room she went to wait at the end of the hall. It was a few moments before the painting slowly swung open on it's hinges and Eric stood their, motioning for her to enter. She smiled and took his hand to step up into the corridor and the two retreated to his home underground.

It was late at night, around eleven o'clock. Ella was held close by Eric's arms wrapped around her waist and hers around his back as they lay on the magnificent dove bed, blanketed with rich red silk sheets. Her forehead leaned against his and their eyes were locked in complete adoration and care for one another. Her fingers were playing with the ends of his hair when she grinned comically. He smiled curiously back at her before he softly asked, "What?"

She kept her smile as she responded, "Could you do me a favor?"

He replied, "Anything for my little Ella.."

"Can I listen to your heartbeat?"

"Can I ask why?"

"..I don't know.. It's just something - when I hear it.." She sighed again and shrugged at a loss for words. He smiled again, and after giving her the most loving kiss he agreed, "If you really want to..." Ella cuddled up to his chest and she could in fact, very well, feel toned muscles. She lay her head down to hear his heart and closed her eyes, sighing once again.

~~~Eric's POV.~~~

Eric couldn't believe how much he felt for her as she curled up closer to his chest and sighed. He lay his head down above hers and he could smell her hair. How was her hair so delicate? His fingertips slowly and gently ran up her arm, over her shoulder and up her neck to brush some hair our of her face. How was her skin so soft? How was she so beautiful? How was her voice so perfect? How was she so amazing? How did she love a man such as himself?... Eric felt unworthy, something he had never felt. How did someone such as her, find room in their heart for... him?

~~~Ella's POV.~~~

Ella felt a stab of pain as she listened to his heart. She loved listening to heartbeats because they always reminded her how everyone was just human. No matter how rich or discriminated a person was; everyone's just trying to survive in this world. Everyone is flesh and bone. They can be sick, or hurt and down to the core everyone is equal. She thought back to those years in the gypsy circus... and what life Eric led. Such a wonderful person... he was the last to ever deserve any treatment of that sort. Tears welled up in her eyes and Ella quickly sat up, turning from him to wipe them away.

He, of course, sat up as well and placed a comforting hand on her mid-back. "Ella..." he began curiously. She turned to look deep into his eyes and took a shaky breathe before she whispered, "Please.. take off your mask..." All he could do was stare back into her eyes as her words hit him. 'Please... no...' he thought, his body now numb. Ella searched his eyes a moment for something but then a few more tears ran down her face. What was upsetting her so much? It hurt him more than anything to see her cry... even more than taking off his mask... His gaze lowered to the bed sheets... His heart was racing... He glanced up at her once more before he carefully raised an unsteady hand and slowly peeled the mask from his face. He heavily lowered it to the bed but he didn't look up. Ella's soft hands gently cupped his jaw line and raised his face to look at her. He couldn't breathe... Ella looked at him with so much sympathy and love. She kissed him with more passion than was ever though possible. At first he didn't know what to do and he carefully responded. But Ella deepened the kiss and he equally returned. Eventually Ella rested her head on his right shoulder, embracing him as if she were to let go he would disappear.. again... "I love you so much..." she whispered. Eric wanted to say something, he wanted to tell her how much he cared for her but he could never find the words.. and she had left him completely speechless.

~~~At the Comte Temes Mansion~~~

The glass shattered upon its collision with the wall, and the wine splashed in every direction. At the same time Jacques screamed a curse and fell to his knees, helplessly grabbing his shoulder. He was shaking angrily as he waited for the throbbing to stop and he stood again breathing heavily. He turned to stare out the window into the dark, windy night.

'Damn that little whore... and those two fools whoever they were...

She will never, ever be free to stay there or anywhere else.

I will have what is rightfully mine!'

Of course he didn't care for Ella in the least. It was himself he was worried about. His image. He couldn't have the police involved and let everyone know his wife had run away, even that he was having any trouble as to getting her back. And they had told him he couldn't take her. No one had ever told him he couldn't have something. He was damned if he would let anyone start. He now thought only on immature anger, spite and stubbornness. He was determined to take her back, and that she wouldn't be happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

Our knight in shining armor doth gallop into the setting sun upon his noble, pure alabaster steed.
And what lovely hair. *oi*