Status: Done!

Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes and Whatnot

Twenty-Four

Fred went downstairs to open up the shop after I had said goodbye to him. Now, I was standing in front of the fireplace, saying goodbye to George.

“I’ll miss you” I said.

“I’ll miss you too”

He kissed me gently.

“I really have to go now”

“I wish you didn't” he said.

Then kissed me again.

“Me too” I smiled.

“Then don't” he smiled back.

I rolled my eyes, "I have to, you know that"

He sighed, "Yeah, I know"

I kissed him once more, then stepped into the fireplace.

“Bye, love”

Then, I was standing in Professor McGonagall’s fireplace.

“Good morning, Miss Firth, please try not to get ash on the carpet”

“Hello Professor, of course not,” I said, happy not to have landed on the floor.

However, I tripped over the grate while stepping out and tracked some ash onto the floor. She lowered her glasses and gave me a look.

“Sorry Professor” I shrugged, and gave her a small smile.

As I was walking up to Gryffindor tower, I ran into Hermione, who was going in the opposite direction.

“Hermy!” I exclaimed, hugging her.

“Caroline! How were your holidays?” she asked.

“They were great, thanks, how about yours?”

“They were alright”

“Oh, we also have some interesting news to tell you, but I’m sure Harry will want to, seeing as it concerns him most”

“Well, he’s not here yet, as far as I know. I was just going down to visit Hagrid, want to come?”

“Definitely”

We walked outside into the deep snow that surrounded the castle, and made our way down to Hagrid’s hut.

A few hours later, after talking with Hagrid and having tea and some rock cakes that were more rock than cake, we started back up to the castle. When we got to Gryffindor tower, we saw Harry, Ron, and Ginny standing outside the portrait hole.

“Harry! Ginny!” Hermione shouted.

“And Ron!” I added, so he didn’t feel that left out.

“Did you have a good Christmas?” she asked them.

“Yeah,” Ron said, “pretty eventful, Rufus Scrim – “

“I’ve got something for you, Harry,” she interrupted Ron, hardly taking notice of him. “Oh, hang on – password. Abstinence.”

“Well that’s ironic” I muttered.

“What?” asked Ron.

“Uh – nothing, it’s nothing” I went into the common room quickly.

Hermione handed Harry a piece of parchment with Dumbledore’s writing on it, and he was about to tell her what happened over break when he was interrupted by a loud squeal of “Won-Won!”

Lavender came running out of nowhere and flung herself into Ron’s arms. Many people in the common room sniggered.

Hermione said, “There’s a table over here”

We walked away from Won-Won and Lav-Lav (luckily he hadn’t started calling her that) and sat down.

Harry asked, “So how was your Christmas?”

“Oh, fine,” she shrugged. “Nothing special. How was it at Won-Won’s?”

“I’ll tell you in a minute,” said Harry. “Look, Hermione, can’t you – “

“No, I can’t” she said flatly. “So don’t even ask.”

“I thought maybe, you know, over Christmas – “

“It was the Fat Lady who drank a vat of five-hundred-year-old wine, Harry, not me. So what was this important news you wanted to tell me?”

We talked about what Harry overheard between Malfoy and Snape, overanalyzing it till we were blue in the face. Then, we discussed Lupin’s mission with the werewolves, trying to turn them over to our side. And finally, we spent the rest of the evening insulting the Minister of Magic for trying to get Harry to work with the Ministry after all the good it’s done for him.

The next morning, Hermione and I came down to the common room to find a group of people standing around a notice that’d been put up over night.

APPARITION LESSONS: If you are seventeen years of age, or will turn seventeen on or before the 31st August next, you are eligible for a twelve week course of Apparition Lessons from a Ministry of Magic Apparition instructor. Please sign below if you would like to participate. Cost: 12 Galleons.

I’d already Apparated before, only a couple times with Fred or George, but there was hardly anyone else who had, so they were all talking about it excitedly all day.

“I’d better pass my test first time,” Ron said. “Fred and George did.”

“Charlie failed, though, didn’t he?” Harry asked.

“Yeah, but Charlie’s bigger than me,” said Ron, holding out his arms like a gorilla, “so Fred and George didn’t go on about it much…not to his face anyway…”

"Yeah...they would" I said, realizing he was right, "I'm so sorry" I patted him on the shoulder.

He rolled his eyes, "Thanks"

“When can we take the actual test?” Harry asked.

“As soon as we turn seventeen” I said.

“That’s only March for me!” said Ron excitedly.

“Yeah, but you wouldn’t be able to Apparate in here, not in the castle…” Harry said.

“Not the point, is it? Everyone would know I could Apparate if I wanted.”

I couldn’t wait to take the test either, mostly because the whole floo powder business was rubbish.
♠ ♠ ♠
you know what's funny, I'm rereading the book as I write this, and the password when they get back to school really is Abstinence! I started laughing hysterically and my family most likely thinks I'm crazy (:

Thanks to my readers/commenters! <3