‹ Prequel: Disregard the Lies

Do I Dream Again

Ett

“Kyra!” Sadie called, rapidly knocking on Kyra’s door, waiting on her to answer. “Kyra!” she yelled again.

“What?” Kyra asked when she swung the door open to her apartment. She saw the smile on her best friend’s face, causing a smile to form on her own. “Oh my God! Did you and Jonathan get back together?” she asked.

“No,” Sadie replied as if Kyra had asked the stupidest question in the world. “What would even make you think that?” she asked, putting her purse down on Kyra’s table.

“Maybe the fact that you have a smile on your face right now. And, the last time I remember you smiling was back when you were with Jon,” she pointed out.

“No, we’re not back together,” Sadie assured her. “But, I do have some good news,” she told her. Kyra gestured for her to continue, and Sadie did just that. “You don’t have to search for a job for me anymore,” she told her.

“What?” Kyra asked.

“I just got offered a position from The Detroit Free Press,” Sadie explained, smiling.

“You’re staying?”

“Yes!” Sadie exclaimed, nodding her head quickly.

“Thank God!” Kyra told her, hugging her best friend. “Now, tell me more about this new job of yours.”

“Well, they said that they read some of my stuff that I wrote for The Detroit News, and then they heard that I was looking for a job, so they offered me one. They said they couldn’t believe that no one had scooped me up yet. I was a little surprised that Lydia hadn’t given me a bad recommendation or anything, but either she didn’t give me a recommendation or they didn’t care what she had to say. Because, either way, I got the job! I start on Monday!” she said excitedly.

“I’m so happy for you,” Kyra told her sincerely. “And, this means that you’re going to stay in Detroit! Now, we just have to get you and Jon back together,” she added. Sadie glared at her, and Kyra asked, “What?”

“You know Jon wants nothing to do with me. I’ve talked to him once since the season’s ended. And, that was only because I was with Kristina discussing her wedding plans, and he happened to be over there. And, I’m pretty sure each of us saying hi was the extent of our conversation,” she said.

“You two will be back together before the wedding,” Kyra predicted. Kristina had asked Sadie to be one of her bridesmaids when she married Valtteri Filppula in a couple of months, and Valtteri had chosen Jonathan to be his best man, meaning that Sadie was bound to run into Jonathan at least a few times before the wedding.

“Oh really?” Sadie questioned, not believing her. “And, how exactly do plan on this happening? Do you have a time machine in this apartment that I don’t know about?” she asked jokingly.

“No,” Kyra said. “But, I’ll think of something,” she added as there was a knock on the door. She went to answer it to see her daughter, Sophia, standing on the other side with one of her friends’ mothers, who was bringing her back after a play date. “Hey, sweetie,” Kyra told her Sophia, who hugged her and then went to Sadie. “Thanks, Jamie,” Kyra told the woman who gave her a nod as she left. “Soph, did you have a good time today?” Kyra asked her.

“Yeah!” Sophia exclaimed. “Julia’s aunt was there, and we watched hockey all day long!” she said excitedly.

“Really?” Sadie asked with a laugh, seeing how happy Sophia was about watching hockey. “What teams were playing?”

“The Red Wings!” she answered. “Mommy, can I go watch tv in my room?” she asked, turning around to look at Kyra with her bottom lip stuck out.

“Sure,” Kyra told her, watching as Sophia ran back to her room. She turned to look at Sadie. “Now, what were we talking about?”

“I believe I was just about to ask you how your relationship with Hank is coming along,” Sadie said with a smile, knowing that she was about to get yelled at from Kyra for even bringing the subject up once again.

“Nonexistent,” Kyra told her.

“Come on, that’s not true,” Sadie began. “It’s so obvious that you two are into each other. Why won’t you just admit it and go out with him?”

“I’ve already told you that I’m never dating again. With everything that happened with Lance, I’m not putting myself through that again,” she said, remembering just a few months ago when Lance had thrown her up against the wall, about ready to kill her.

“We both know Hank’s not like that. Hell, he’s the one that saved you from Lance!” Sadie reminded her.

“And, what about Sophia?” Kyra questioned. “She’s still not comfortable around older men. And, that’s because of me.”

“She’s herself around Hank,” Sadie pointed out. And, it was true. Sophia had never had a problem around Henrik. Neither of them could figure out why, but Sadie assumed it was because Sophia had seen that Henrik was the one that had saved her mother from Lance. “And, look at how excited she was to be watching a Wings game! Can you imagine how she’d react if her mother was dating one of the players?”

“Can we please just drop this?” Kyra requested.

“Fine,” Sadie sighed, glancing at her watch. “I have to go anyways. I’m supposed to be meeting Kristina to talk some more about wedding plans,” she told her.

“Ooh, maybe Jon will be there. And, you’ll look into each other’s eyes and realize that you’re madly in love with each other. And, then I’ll be getting a call saying that you guys decided to elope,” Kyra told her dramatically.

“Kyra, I think you need to lay off of the soap operas,” Sadie told her with a smile. Kyra stuck her tongue out at her, and Sadie continued. “But, who knows? Maybe Hank will be there, and I’ll look into his eyes, and we’ll realize that really we are madly in love with each other. And, then you’ll be getting a call that says we’re eloping!”

“Wh-what?” Kyra stuttered.

“And you say you don’t like Hank!” Sadie said sarcastically, rolling her eyes at her friend. “Don’t worry, Kyra,” she said, putting a hand on Kyra’s shoulder. “I am not going to marry Hank. He’s all yours,” she said with a smile.

“He’s not mine!” Kyra exclaimed. “I’ve already told you a million times that I’m never dating again!” she reminded.

“Yeah, yeah,” Sadie said. “You keep telling yourself that,” she added, walking out the door and down to her car. She drove to Kristina and Val’s apartment, parking outside of their building.

She walked up to their door, ringing the doorbell. After a few moments, the door was thrown open by Kristina, who was arguing with someone on the phone. She motioned for Sadie to come in and gave her a signal that indicated she would just be a few moments on the phone before she walked back towards her bedroom.

Sadie looked around to see Henrik sitting on the couch, and she smiled at him. “Hey, what are you doing here? Decided to help out Kristina with the wedding details?” she asked jokingly.

“Uh, no,” he said, shaking his head. “I’m waiting on Val. He went out to go get something for Kristina, and he’s still not back yet,” he explained. “So, I take it you’re here to help Kristina?” he asked, and Sadie nodded her head, sitting down in the chair across from him. “Good luck with that.”

“What is that supposed to mean? You think she’s going to be some crazy bridezilla person?” Sadie asked with a laugh. She had been helping Kristina with the wedding for a few weeks now, and she had never gone crazy over anything.

“Bridezilla?” Henrik questioned, not knowing what Sadie meant.

“You know, a crazy bride who starts screaming and yelling at everyone because she wants the perfect wedding?” Sadie tried explaining. “Come on, Hank, have you really never watched that show before?” she asked.

“Can’t say I have,” Henrik said with a laugh. “But, from the way you’re describing it, I can honestly say I don’t think Kristina’s going to be a bridezilla. I just meant that you’re going to be sitting here for hours picking out dresses and china and whatever else a person does for a wedding.”

Sadie laughed at him. “I think I can handle it,” she told him. “Kristina’s a pretty laid back person. I think as long as Val’s standing up at the front of the church with her, she’ll be just fine.” Suddenly, Kristina came out of the bedroom looking extremely stressed out. “Or not,” Sadie said quietly. “Kristina, what’s wrong?” she asked her.

“Um, you two wouldn’t happen to have a secret child together, would you? You know, maybe a little girl between the ages of three and six?” Kristina asked.

Sadie looked over at Henrik. “Um, I don’t remember ever having your child, Hank. Do you remember?” she asked.

“Sorry, can’t say I do,” Henrik said with a laugh.

“Great!” Kristina said sarcastically.

“What’s going on, Kristina?” Sadie asked once again.

“One of my friend’s daughters was supposed to be my flower girl, but she had to back out. And, now I’m looking for a little girl to walk down the aisle and throw flowers. Know where I could find one of those? You know, do they have a flower girl store or anything in downtown Detroit?” she joked.

“I don’t know of a store,” Sadie began. “But, I think I might just know a little girl that can do the job,” she said with a smile on her face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think!