‹ Prequel: Disregard the Lies

Do I Dream Again

Tio

Jonathan rolled over in bed, his eyes slowly drifting open as he heard his cell phone ringing. He groaned as he reached his hand out and grabbed it off his dresser. “Hello?” he answered in his native Swedish language.

“Jon,” he heard Henrik say, and he slowly became more awake. “I need you to do me a favor,” he said speaking in Swedish. “Can you go to Sadie’s and pick Sophia up? It’s a long story, and I’ll explain later, but can you just do that?” Henrik asked him.

Yeah, I can do it. But, you realize Sadie isn’t going to want to see me, right? You owe me,” he added.

Thanks. She needs to be picked up by six,” Henrik told him, hanging up the phone. Jonathan rolled out of bed, glancing at his alarm clock next to him to see that he had less than a half an hour to get over to Sadie’s and pick Sophia up. He grabbed a t-shirt out of his closet, which happened to be a Red Wings shirt, and he threw on a pair of jeans, not really caring how he looked. He picked his keys up off of the table and made his way down to his car.

He parked the car in front of Sadie’s apartment to see it was ten minutes before six. He jogged up the stairs and rang the doorbell. “I wasn’t sure you were going to make it in time,” he heard Sadie said as she opened the door, her face contorting into shock when she saw him on the other side. “Jon, what are you doing here?” she asked him, moving aside to let him walk into her apartment.

“Hank called me like fifteen minutes ago and asked me to pick Sophia up,” Jonathan explained. “Where’s she at, by the way?” he asked, looking around for the small girl, but not seeing her anywhere.

“She’s back in the bedroom sleeping,” Sadie answered. “And, is something wrong with Kyra that she couldn’t pick her up?” Sadie asked, worried for her best friend.

“I don’t know,” Jonathan told her. “Hank just called and asked for a favor, and he asked me to come pick Sophia up. He said he’d explain it all later.”

“Okay,” Sadie said. “Well, just let me go wake Sophia up,” she said, beginning to walk back towards the bedroom before she felt Jonathan’s hand grab on lightly to her upper arm. She spun back around, looking at him. “What?” she asked.

“Don’t wake her,” he told her. “I’ll just carry her out.”

“Are you taking her back to your place or Hank’s or Kyra’s?” Sadie asked him.

Jonathan was quiet for a moment. “I don’t really know where I was supposed to take her,” he admitted. “I guess I’ll just take her back to my place and have Kyra come pick her up later,” he said, continuing to move back towards Sadie’s bedroom. As he opened the door, he saw Sophia sleeping on the bed, and Jonathan smiled at her. He carefully picked her up in his arms, making sure not to wake her up, and he turned back around towards Sadie. “It was great seeing you, Sadie,” he told her.

“You too, Jon,” she said sincerely with a smile as she moved aside so he could get out of her bedroom and back into the living room. “Hey Jon,” she called out, and he spun back around to look at her. “Do you feel like getting some lunch with me some day this week?” she asked.

A smile spread across his face. “I’d love to,” he told her. “Give me a call and let me know when you’re free,” he added.

“I will,” she promised. “And, I’ll call Kyra and leave her a message telling her that Sophia is at your place. I know she’ll be freaking out if she doesn’t know where her daughter is.”

“Yeah, she would,” Jonathan agreed. “I’ll see you later,” he said as Sadie opened the door for him and he carried Sophia out.

***

Kyra’s eyes fluttered open as she tried to orient herself. She finally realized she was in her bedroom, and when she felt a pair of arms wrapped around her, she slowly turned over to see Henrik lying next to her. She couldn’t remember going back to her bedroom, and she assumed Henrik had just carried her back after she had fallen asleep on her couch. She felt Henrik’s arms tighten around her, and she looked up to see his eyes slowly open. “How long have you been awake?” he asked, looking down at Kyra.

“I just woke up,” she answered. “I was trying to figure out how I made it back to my bedroom.”

“You fell asleep out there last night, and I carried you back here. I would have left, but you asked me to stay with you,” he added.

“I’m glad you stayed,” she said with a smile. “Wait a minute,” she said suddenly. “What time is it?” she asked him.

Henrik lifted his arm to look at the watch he was wearing. “Eight-thirty,” he answered.

Kyra quickly flung the covers off of the two of them, jumping out of bed, leaving Henrik lying there, wondering what was going on. “I’ve got to go get Sophia!” she exclaimed, pulling her red hair up into a ponytail and grabbing a pair of socks out of her dresser drawer. “Sadie’s going to kill me,” she muttered, more to herself than to Henrik. “I was supposed to pick her up by six, and now I’m over two hours late!”

“Kyra,” Henrik called out, but Kyra continued to frantically lace up her shoes. “Kyra,” he repeated a little bit louder, and she turned her head to look at him. “Sophia’s already been picked up. I called Jon this morning to pick her up from Sadie’s. And, Sadie called here saying that Jon took Sophia back to his place,” he told her.

“Jon picked her up?” Kyra asked, dropping her shoe that she was about to put on her foot onto the ground. Henrik nodded his head in reply. “Jonathan went to Sadie’s?” she questioned, and Henrik once again nodded his head. “He actually went to Sadie’s? And, there was no problem?”

“Kyra, listen to me,” Henrik told her. “Jon picked Sophia up from Sadie’s, and now she’s over at Jon’s place,” he said slowly, trying to get her to comprehend.

“I understand that,” Kyra told him. “I’m just shocked that Jon went over to Sadie’s. I mean, the last time I checked, they weren’t exactly on the best terms.”

Henrik shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe they called a truce.”

“I’ll have to call Sadie later on,” Kyra mumbled to herself, looking at herself in the mirror and grimacing at all of her newly-formed bruises.

“Do they hurt?” Henrik asked her, walking up behind her and carefully placing his hands on her shoulders, making sure to avoid all the bruises. Kyra nodded her head, lifting up her t-shirt to look at her stomach, which was bruised worse than the rest of her body. “I am going to make sure he never does this to you again,” he vowed.

Kyra turned her head around to look up at him. “Hank, what are you planning?” she asked him worriedly. “I don’t want you to have to get involved in this.”

“He should go to jail for what he did,” Henrik told her.

“That’ll never happen,” Kyra told him, shaking her head. “It’s his word against mine. He’ll turn it around and make himself look like the good guy. Like I deserved what he did or something,” she explained.

“You’ve got the bruises to prove what he did, though,” Henrik pointed out.

“And, knowing Lance, he’d try to say that you did this to me or something. Everyone loves Lance. I mean, he’s this big CEO. Everything’s going to be on his side. He’d never get punished.”

“It’s not fair,” Henrik told her. “You shouldn’t have to go through this. You shouldn’t have to worry whether Lance is going to try this again or anything. But, Kyra, I promise that I won’t let him do anything to you again.”

“I’m glad to have you in my life,” she smiled, turning around and leaning up and kissing him.

***

“Hey, Jon,” Kyra smiled as he opened the door for her. “Thanks for picking up Sophia,” she told him, and as if on cue, her daughter came bounding towards her, wrapping her arms around her. “Were you a good girl for Jon?” she asked her, smoothing out her hair.

“She was great,” Jonathan told her. “How are you doing?” he asked her. Henrik had called him a little while ago, explaining everything that had happened the previous day with Lance.

“I’ll be okay,” Kyra assured him, choosing her words carefully since she knew that Sophia was listening to her and Jonathan’s conversation.

“Let me know if you need anything,” Jonathan told her, and Kyra knew that he was referring to getting revenge on Lance. She was sure that Henrik had told him that he wanted Lance out of the picture for good.

“Don’t go getting into any trouble,” Kyra told him. He smiled sheepishly, and she laughed at him. “So, how was your run-in with Sadie this morning?” she asked him.

“It was good,” he replied.

“Good?” Kyra asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

“It was good,” he repeated. “We’re actually planning on having lunch together sometime this week,” he told her. “Sadie even suggested it.”

“I’m glad,” Kyra said sincerely. “Listen, Jon, I know that I was hard on you before,” she said, and Jonathan gave a small laugh, remembering her kicking him before. “I hated what you did to her. But, I can see that you still love her, and I really am rooting for the two of you,” she told him.

“Kyra, I hate what I did to her,” Jonathan said. “She and I have both made a lot of mistakes. Yes, I’ve made worse ones,” he quickly added. “But, I’m hoping that she and I can just start over and try to get back to where we were. It means a lot that you’re on our side, though,” he told her.

“You two are good for each other, when you’re not lying,” she said with a laugh. “But, seriously, I know that you two are still in love with each other. I hope that you two can work everything out,” she told him, looking down at Sophia who was standing there, trying to understand their conversation. “Soph, what do you say we go home?” she asked her.

“Yeah, Mommy,” Sophia replied.

“I guess we’ll see you later, Jon,” Kyra told him. “Thanks again for getting Sophia and watching her for a while. I really appreciate it.”

“It was no problem at all,” Jonathan assured her. “We had a great time hanging out. And, Kyra,” he said, dropping his voice so that Sophia couldn’t hear him. “Seriously, if you need anything at all, just let me know. I know Hank’s going to make sure you’re safe, but it can never hurt to have another person on your side.”

“Thank you,” Kyra told him. “But, I’m going to try to handle this one on my own. I’m hoping that Lance will just give up. But, we’ll see,” she added.

“Okay,” Jonathan told her. “Bye, Kyra. Bye, Sophia.”

“Bye,” Sophia said, a big smile spreading across her face.