Status: Complete

Love the One You're With

Chapter 15

"It still looks exactly the same," Zach said with a big smile on his face.

I still couldn't say anything. Here he was right in front of me.

"I hope I didn't scare you. I tried your bedroom window, but it was locked. Then I saw the light up here."

"You tried my window?"

"Sure Pheebs isn't that how I always come to see you in the middle of the night?"

I smiled back at him. Then it dawned on me, "Middle of the night?"

"It's 2AM."

"I had no idea it was so late. I didn't know you'd be looking for me."

"Of course I was looking for you. I just got in a couple of hours ago."

"Zach, it's been a year."I turned to look back at the painting, and soon Zach stood beside me.

"This is the same painting you were working on before we left for New Jersey."

"Yep."

Zach turned me toward him. He unbuttoned my smock and laid it on the table. He laced his fingers with mine and brought me over to the couch where he pulled me into him. "Remember why you didn't finish that painting?"

I smirked up at him. "How could I forget that?" I asked, knowing exactly why it wasn't finished. "I was interrupted by a hockey player that couldn't sleep."

Zach's smile was as bright as I remembered it, and I melted back into him. "That was some night Pheebs." That night we were both too excited about leaving for New Jersey to sleep. We made love on the couch over and over again, taking our excitement out on each other until we were exhausted and fell asleep here in the studio wrapped in each other.

"I'm sorry I haven't called Pheebs. I should have called. I wanted to call."

"You're here now." I replied.

Zach got up. He turned the lights off, then came back over to the couch with a blanket in his hand, the same one that covered us all those years ago. He laid down and pulled me into him covering us with the blanket.

I closed my eyes tightly, just praying this wasn't a dream.

"Good night Phoebe," he said and his lips hit my forehead. That's when I knew it wasn't a dream. Finally I felt like I was home.

****

His lips were pressed softly to mine, as my eyes fluttered open. "Good morning," he said smiling his famous Zack Parise smile and giving me the wake up kiss that I'd spent so much time thinking about over the last year.

"Good morning." I smiled back. He had no idea how good it was to wake up in his arms.

"I'd stay like this with you all day if I could, but I imagine my mother is wondering where I am," Zach said.

"Kind of makes you feel like we're 14 again, huh," I said sitting up. Zach sat up behind me. "Do you have a watch Zach? I need to know what time it is."

"It's 9:35."

"Oh Fuck, Max I was supposed to pick up Max at the airport at 9:30!" I said jumping up and out or Zach's arms.

"Max?"

"Oh, yeah, Max Talbot. His plane got in at 9:30. He's gonna be pissed."

"You're bringing MAX TALBOT to Jordan's wedding?" Zach asked harshly.

"Zach, I don't have time to explain right now. I really have to go," I said putting my flip flops on and running out the door in the clothes I wore all day yesterday and just slept in.

****

Max was outside of the airport sitting on his suitcase in the pick-up area.

"Max! I'm so sorry," I said wrapping him in a hug.

"You better be Pheebs, I've been waiting for an hour. You look awful." Max brought his bag over to the SUV and threw it in the back.

"Don’t sugar coat it Max,” I said laughing, “I just woke up and realized what time it was. I didn't even brush my teeth." I gave him a cheesy smile. "See how important you are to me."

"That's gross Pheebs.”

As he crawled into the passenger seat, he noticed. "Wait a minute. Phoebe, is that what I think it is?"

"What?" I asked, not knowing what he was talking about.

"You have a smile on your face. You haven't stopped smiling. What's going on?"

I felt like an excited child, and I was so glad he asked. "I saw Zach," I said matter-a-factly.

"It must have been good then."

"Well he showed up in my art studio last night, and we ended up sleeping together on the couch."

"You slept with Zach!?!"

"I didn't sleep with him, we slept on the couch together." Max looked disappointed. "No Max it was incredible, it was just like old times."

"So are you two back together?" he asked.

That's when my face turned downward. "No, he has a date for the wedding."

"See, aren't you glad you invited me?"

"I am Max. I'm really glad you're here. You’re like a breath of fresh air against my relatives. There's actually something I need to tell you though?"

"This doesn't sound good."

"It's not. Yesterday my family kept asking me about Zach and sharing old stories about us. I couldn't help it Max. I kinda told my family you are my boyfriend."

Max looked at me with a smirk, "Oh Ma Belle, I'll be happy to play your boyfriend."

"Don't ham it up Talbot; I know how you are."

"Oh really, how am I Pheebs?"

"Your quite the character actor Max. I need you to be subtle."

"OK I promise, I'll be on my best behavior."

“Oh Max, one more thing, I’m telling Zach the truth. I don’t want there to be any confusion, even if he has a new girlfriend or whatever, I don’t want to lie to him.”

Max agreed, and I drove us back to my house showing him all the sights of Bloomington, Minnesota.

My mind wandered, and I couldn’t help being excited about last night with Zach. I wanted to see him today, to tell him the truth about Max so there wouldn’t be any misunderstandings. If I could work up the courage I’d ask him about his mystery date or maybe he’d just volunteer the information.

I took Max inside the house and introduced him to my mom and sister. My other relatives were staying in a hotel. They took to Max instantly, just like everyone usually does. That’s just Max.

“Is Max going to be staying in your room?” My mother asked, not trying to be presumptuous.

I looked at Max who was wearing a smirk. “No, I’ll set him up in the guest room.”

My mother almost looked relieved, as I lead Max upstairs to his room. I got a shower and let Max relax for a little while. Soon there was a knock on my door and Max came flying in and flopped down on my bed. Luckily I had already dressed.
“Come on Pheebs, I like to cuddle. Let me sleep in your room.”

“No.”

“I’ll be the perfect gentleman, I promise.”

I smiled at him. “I trust you Maxie, that’s not the reason I won’t let you sleep in my room.”

“Why then?” he asked. He jumped off the bed and opened my closet and then a couple of drawers.

“What are you doing?” I asked.

“Finding out what your hiding.”

He was heading toward my underwear drawer so I decided I’d tell him. “Stop Max,” he obeyed and sat down on the bed while I walked around the room fixing everything he’d just messed up.

“It’s this.” I said pointing to the window. I opened the curtain and unlocked it.

“You’re hiding a window?”

“That’s how Zach gets in. On the slightest chance that he wants to see me tonight, you need to be tucked away in the guest room.”

“How old are you? And he still sneaks in through the window? That’s well kind of …”

“Sweet?” I offered.

“Kinky,” he replied and I immediately smacked him in the arm.

“Stop it Talbot.”

“What? Don’t tell me you two don’t get kinky when he climbs in your window.”

“I’m not going to talk to you about that! Why don’t you go hang out with my mom for a bit, I have to go talk to Zach.”

“About me?” he said cheekily.

“Yes,” I said dragging him down the hall and dropping him off in the kitchen with my mom. “I’ll be back soon can you take care of Max for awhile?” She gave me a weird look. “Behave Max.” I said firmly.

He pouted, and I walked out the door.

****

I was second guessing myself as I stood at Zach’s front door. I couldn’t remember how long it had been since I’d actually stood at his front door. Mustering up all my courage, I knocked.

After a minute Zach’s mom swung the door open. “Phoebe! Sweetheart! It’s been so long.” She already had her arms around me hugging me. “Let me look at you.” She stood back for a moment and looked me over. “You’ve really grown up, and God you’re beautiful.”

I blushed. “Hi Mrs. Parise. It’s nice to see you.”

“What can I do for you honey?” she asked sweetly.

“Well I was wondering if Zach was home. I just wanted to talk to him for a couple minutes. I won’t keep him long.”

The smile fell from her face. “Oh baby girl, I’m sorry. Zach’s at the airport picking up Liza?”

“Liza?” I asked, hoping my face wouldn’t betray my heart.

“Right Liza, have you met her?”

“No Mrs. Parise, I don’t know Liza.”

“Oh dear, well I’m sure you’ll be fast friends.”It was a fact that Zach’s mom was the nicest woman on the planet.

“So you’ve met her then?” I was hoping she would give me details, ‘yes Liza, Zach’s girlfriend’ or something.

“No I haven’t but I’m sure she’s lovely.”

“I’m sure she is Mrs. Parise. I’m sorry to have bothered you.”

She grabbed me and pulled me into her. “Sweetheart, you are never a bother. Come back and see us again real soon.” I was sure Zach's dad didn't share her enthusiasm

I smiled before I turned and left, my head filled with thoughts of Zach greeting Liza at the airport.

****

“Max!” I yelled as I walked into the house and ran to my bedroom.

Max finished up his conversation with my mother and met me there. He walked into the room, shut the door and flopped down on the bed beside me.

“I can’t do this Max.” I said rolling over into him.

“Can’t do what? What happened?”

“He was at the airport picking upLiza,” I squeaked out. “I can’t face him with someone else. I just can’t.”

“Phoebe!” he said sternly sitting up. “Stop this now. You’re here for your sister’s wedding, not to win Zach back.”

“I want him back Max.” I said softly into his chest.

“OK then, tonight we get you all dolled up, and we do what we need to do to get him back for you.”

Max was awesome. It was like having a girlfriend with me. He made sure my dress looked just right, my make-up was just perfect, and my hair was straightened just so. He made me wear my strappy heals because they are sexy and then convinced me I looked stunning.

There wasn’t actually going to be a rehearsal since the ceremony was so simple. Chelsea explained that it would be just Zach and I as the best man and maid of honor. I’d walk down the aisle, then she would follow. I didn’t have to do anything but hold her flowers and hand her his ring. I was sure I could manage these tasks, but standing up there with Zach would be really hard.

Despite that there was no rehearsal, there was still a dinner. Max and I walked in arm and arm. My family flocked to him wanting to know everything about him, how we met, and how serious we were. I stayed linked to him but my mind drifted and my eyes kept wandering to the door for Zach to arrive. He walked in by himself and stood in the doorway straightening his tie and buttoning his suit coat. He looked so handsome in a suit. I couldn’t take my eyes off of him and soon he looked up and our eyes met. He didn’t smile, like I had grown accustomed. He sort of looked hurt taking in the scene before him, obviously getting the wrong idea. He walked out to the hallway breaking our eye contact and escorted in a beautiful blond creature that I assumed to be Liza.

She was tall, taller than Zach tall. She had long straight blond hair that looked surprisingly natural. Her bangs were pulled back in a clip in the back of her head. Her features were pretty. She wore a long dress that was silky and elegant. I immediately felt frumpy and ugly. Zach held her arm and guided her to his family. I could see him doing introductions, and I watched them like a scene from a horror movie that you just can’t tear yourself away from. He smiled happily as she politely shook his mother’s hand.

“Phoebe!” Max was pulling me out of my Zach induced coma.

He pulled me over to a secluded area of the room. “Stop staring at them Pheebs. Don’t let him know it bothers you.”

“I’m falling apart Max. I need to go.” Tears were stinging the back of my eyes.

He leaned over and pinched me really hard. “Ow! What the hell did you do that for?”

“Because you’re not going to cry. You’re going to get through this without crying if it’s the last thing I do. Now I don’t want you to look at him again. If I catch you looking at him I’m going to stomp your foot.”

Ilaughed. There were no more tears. “Leave it to you Max.”

He laced his fingers with mine, and we went back to mingle with the relatives. We started with cocktails, then took our seats for dinner. I was pleased that no one mentioned Zach to me at all, not even Zach’s family. I guess having Max on my arm kept that from happening. Max also did a good job of keeping me separated from Zach and Liza. I wasn’t sure how I’d react when I actually had to meet her.

The dinner was nice, and I was amazed at how in love Jordan and Chelsea looked. Before tonight some part of me actually thought she was doing this just to spite me, to show me she could have a Parise and I couldn’t. They just kept snuggling into each other and laughing and stealing kisses. I thought I’d hate her for finding love with Zach’s brother, but instead I was happy for her. Someone in our family should be happy like that I thought.

Toward the end of dinner I noticed Zach get up and walk with Liza to the door. Max pinched my leg really hard trying to keep me from staring. I nearly jumped on the table, making the glasses shake and everyone look my direction. “Sorry,” was the only thing I could say to my family sitting around me..

I pulled Max into me and whispered, “I have to meet her tonight. I can’t wait until tomorrow. I’d rather lose it tonight then tomorrow at the wedding.”

“Ok, but I’m coming with you.” Max replied.

We excused ourselves and headed quickly toward the door. They had already made it outside. I got there before Max and yelled desperately, “Zach, Zach wait.”

He turned and his eyes looked hopeful until he saw Max turn the corner. “Phoebe.” He responded. He gave me a kiss on the cheek before introducing me to Liza. "Phoebe, this is Liza. She's Travis's sister." Travis hated me, of course he'd fix Zach up with his beautiful sister. "Liza, this is Phoebe."

Liza extended her hand, and I took it. "I've heard a lot about you," she said sweetly.

"Good things I hope," I said staring into Zach's eyes.

"Of course," she replied and gave Zach's arm a squeeze.

That's when Max put his hand on my shoulder. "Liza, this is my friend Max."

"I recognize you Max Talbot. Great playoff run you guys had."

Max replied to her, but I didn't hear a word. I was busy staring into the eyes of the man I was so incredibly in love with. There were no words exchanged, but I could see how much me being there with Max was hurting him. I wondered if he could see the same thing in my eyes. It soon became obvious that it was time to go our separate ways.

Zach broke the silence between us. "I need to get Liza back to the hotel. She just got in from New Jersey, and she's pretty tired." He turned and opened the car door for her.

"It was a pleasure meeting you," she said crawling into the car.

Zach closed the door and turned toward me. "You look beautiful," he said and the corner of his mouth turned up. It wasn't quite a smile, but it was adorable.

I watched as he pulled out of the parking lot and drove Liza down the street. I turned to Max who held me in his arms.

"That was promising," he said.

"What? What was promising about that?"

"He told you you were beautiful. He couldn't take his eyes off of you."

"Yeah and he's headed to a hotel with nature Barbie."

Max tilted my head toward him. "I wouldn't let you look at him all night, but I watched him carefully. Crosby was right, he only has eyes for you."

"Why would he want me when he has her?" I asked really wanting to know.

"Stop underestimating yourself Pheebs. That man is head over heals for you."

I smiled praying he was right.

We spent a little more time at the dinner, then headed home. Max kissed my forehead and headed to the guest room. I sat on my bed watching the window, hoping and praying he'd be coming through that window and that he wasn't at a hotel making love to that gorgeous blond. I'm not sure when I fell asleep, but when I awoke to the sunshine of a new day my heart dropped. Zach never showed.
♠ ♠ ♠
A couple more chapters left. Comments?