Status: Complete: Read the Final Chapter in the "Forest" Series!

Be Sure to Wear a Disguise

012 : Scream

After going over the situation, and with a little yelling and arguing, we all decided on a third opinion. A Disguise.

"So... explain once more to me." I ask Caan.

"We three are going into Keep, one of the more remote towns in the Underworld. There we're going to see one of the Dark Fae. They have been perfecting the art of glamor and disguise for centuries." Caan says.

"We're getting you a second skin. A coat of magik so thick you won't have to worry about gold eyes." Lyris fills in more.

Up to this point I'd been a little lost, mentally and physically, trying to keep up with them. We'd somehow gotten into a different diminution or something, and are now walking through a thick forest in the Underworld. Home of all the things that go bump in the night.

Along with stepping through space, I feel like I've taken a huge leap through time, going back to a time where stories start with "once upon a time". The woods are dark, but dusty sunlight filters in through the trees.

"How long with it take?" I ask.

Caan only chuckles and wraps an arm around me, pulling me into a quick side hug before releasing me.

"Stop asking so many questions." He says, with a smile on his face.

"Silence is your friend in these woods." Lyris speaks softly. He has his wings unfolded, letting the Dove Grey feathers soak in whatever light and air they can.

"So, now trees are my enemy too?" I look up at him.

"No. But they will give out information to anyone about anything they see or hear." Caan whispers, "They're very reliable informants."

I narrow my eyes and look at Lyris, who is silently nodding in agreement. I decide to drop the subject. We all gently settle into a comfortable silence that you can only get walking through the woods.

Image

We stop manage to get to a small town, so small it has no name. The three of us swap out are clothes for something that the locals would be wearing. I tighten the strings on my traveling cloak as Caan walks in.

"This sucks. I hate walking through the Underground." He gripes like a little kid, and sits down on the bed in a huff.

"You are so immature." I scoff at him.

"It's why we get along." He smiles childishly.

I walk over to him and start tugging at one of the clasp of his coat. He watches and then puts his hands on my hips.

"Aren't girls suppose to wear dresses? How come you've got pants?" He smirks, commenting on my wardrobe.

"Dresses are awful for travel. Pretty, but not practical." I look at him and ruffle his hair, "You just wanna see me in a dress."

He nods. I laugh at him and he pulls me into this lap. I look up at him and his eyes twinkle.

"What are you thinking, Caan?" I ask him, suddenly acutely aware of our closeness.

"I think that you're brave. And that we should get going." He tucks a wisp of hair behind my ear and we walk out of the room.

Lyris is pacing the floor of the hallway, his boots making impossibly quiet ticks against the wood. He looks up at me and smiles.

"Ready?" He asks.

I nod and we all troop out and start moving thought the woods again. I look at Caan, and then at Lyris. It's was gonna be a long day.

Image

"When... Will.... We.... STOP!?" I half yell, half gasp for air. The two of them spin at me and shhh's me loudly. "Oh don't hush me!"

Caan leaps forward and clasps a hand over my mouth. Lyris starts looking around cautiously; I can see his wings tense up. I didn't care about the stupid trees, I don't get it. I am tired and hungry and ----

*snap*

I turn my head slowly. Caan's hand is still over my mouth, which, I suppose is good, because the cause of the snapped twig makes me scream.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
It's back!

I plan to finish this, because it seems as though that's what my readers would like.

~LOVE AMBER~
XD

p.s.