Status: Complete: Read the Final Chapter in the "Forest" Series!

Be Sure to Wear a Disguise

013 : Questions

The eyes are what make me scream. They are red, and not just the iris', the entire eye, except for the black hole pupil, is a fiery red.

"Well, well..." The mouth curled around the words, revealing razor sharp fangs. "What is a fallen angel going in the woods, running a muck with a human and ... and ..."

Her lips curl more, smirking down at Caan.

"Aren't you suppose to be dead?" She chuckled. "Everyone is getting worried, little--

"Shut up!" Caan shoats, interrupting her. Slowly he takes his hand away from my mouth and curls his fingers into fists. He moves in front of me, blocking me from view.

Lyris walks closer, and wraps one arm around my waist. I can feel the muscles of his arm tense. His movement makes the smirk grow. She looks like she found the jackpot. And that, does not. look good for me.

"What do you want, leech?" Lyris hisses at her.

"R-E-S-P-E-C-T" She spells out, "Let's start with a little respect, eh, Fallen? I mean I could just shuffle away and tell the Werewolf Army exactly where they'll find---"

"Shut up!" Caan shoats again. I curl my fingers in a fist around the fabric of his shirt. I'm getting frustrated at the secrets that are right in front of me.

The vampire, which is what I take her to be, steps away from the tree and towards us. Everything I'd heard about the grace and speed of vampires was evident in the tiptoe elegance of her step.

She looks at me and her eyes spark. The red grows and I muffle a scream as vine-like tendrils of the color expand around the skin of her eyes. She smirks in the face of my fear. The discoloured red skin turns back to the ghostly pale, and her eyes clear. I watch, gawking at her, as the whites of her eyes show and the red color diminishes to only her irises.

"You haven't told her about anything, have you?" She directs the question to the others. Her crimson rimmed eyes watch me, amused by my reaction.

"She doesn't need to know." Lyris sneers, and I flash a glare at him.

"HA!" The laugh echos loudly, "She would be safer if she knew the truth about... things."

I see Caan's eyes narrow. He's probably said those words too, but seems insulted to hear them from another.

A wind blows. I shiver and look around. Suddenly, I feel watched and exposed in the dense trees of the woods. My fingers go numb, and I realize it's from holding so tightly to Caan's shirt. I tug on it gently, and Caan flicks his eyes to me.

"We should get moving." He says with ice-like words.

"Oh. Do." The smirk widens more, "Don't let me stop you."

"You two go." Lyris says softly.

I can see the smirk falter on her face. Caan starts backing away, guiding me as he goes. I see a new emotion cut into the features of the vampires face; Fear. She turns and bolts. I watch in horror as Lyris spreads open his Dove Grey wings and springs into the air, disappearing into the foliage. I watch as he disappears after her.

Image

I lean heavily on Caan's side as we continue to walk, and walk. And walk. And Walk. and...you get my point. Finally, I look up at him.

"Caan..." My voice is small.

"Hmm?" He turns his eyes to meet mine.

I clear my throat, but still the words catch. "What... who... What's going on?"

He looks at me, and I notice that his eyes are glowing again. He blink and they clear, but I still catch it. It makes me want an answer even more.

Caan opens his mouth, but the snapping sound of twigs and leaves makes him silent. He wraps an arm around my waist and pulls towards him and ducks behind a tree.

All is calm for a moment, but I can feel Caan's heart beating faster. Suddenly a voice rings out into the woods that surround us.

"I know you two are here, It's only me.' Lyris speaks up.

Caan lets go of me and looks out at him. I peek out from behind the tree and sure enough, Lyris is standing there, his Dove Grey wings shaking to rid the feathers of stray leaves.

"What did you do?" I ask him. My eyes are riveted to his hands. They are curled into tight fists.

He looks away, but I can see his eyes. His eyes look guilty.

"We need to get to shelter. It'll be dark soon" He says, looking back down, at the ground, at his feet.

Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Caan nod. I glare at the two of them; suddenly the weight of the day topples down on me.

"Tell me what's going on!" I yell.

"Ssshhhh!!" They both hiss at me. I glare at them anyway. But I'm to tired of walking and to tired of the lies and stuff to really care.

"I said! Tell me!!" I scream.

Lyris leaps forward and slams his hand over my mouth, hushing me. A ripple goes out over the woods as my scream does down, eaten away in the silence of the woods. Caan looks at me with a pained expression.

"Can't this wait until we don't have to worry about you getting killed?" He whispers.

I try to break loose, but Lyris just keeps me still. I shake my head instead. I want answers now! My head spins. Caan rolls his eyes and nods.

"Fine. Can it wait till we at least get to shelter?" He looks at me, pleading.

I nod. The three of us start walking again, and I lose myself in concentration. I know how easy it is to twist an ankle or trip on a root in the forest.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image