Dances With Petals

Chapter 6: A short walk home.

Chapter 6:

Brooke stood for a while, his face dimly lit by the moonlight in the still lake; a face devoid of any comprehension of what had happened; his head swimming in his own dream-like ambience. The silence that enveloped the forest could not be any less dramatic.
He brought his hand up to meet his cheek where the kiss slowly burned itself away. However, caught in the euphoria, he could almost ignore the sensation in his pocket which told him that his cell was ringing.

His fingers numbly fumbled across the surface of the phone until they came across the accept button. He couldn’t bring himself to speak, though. So there was a pause before Joel spoke.

“… Brooke? It’s Joel, where are you?”
“I don’t know,”
“… what?”
“In the forest somewhere,”
Brooke’s eyes had not left the spot where Holly vanished into the distance.
“You do know it’s midnight, right?”
“I do now,”
“What’s wrong with you? You sound like you’re not all there …”
Brooke paused for a while, “Long story.” He said.
“Hah, sure then.”
“Sorry about leaving you like that,” Brooke said, his senses flooding back to him.
“Yeah, about that; why did you leave us?”
“Long story,” Brooke said.
“Right … I was just ringing to see if you are alright anyway, man”
“I guess I’m fine, more than fine.”
There was a pause for a moment.
“Brooke, you sound like you’ve taken drugs, wait where you are.”

And with that, the deadline tone was sounded. Brooke began to smile, in the pit of his stomach slept the happiest feeling he had ever experienced.

His feet dragged lazily along the ground, and the various cracklings of fallen branches and twigs was all that told him he was still on the footpath as the light from the lake began to drift away in the distance behind him.

(“Sound like I’ve taken drugs?”) Brooke thought to himself, laughing.
The forest was beginning to uncurl around him and the branches became sparse in the sky, allowing the starlight to illuminate his path, the beauty in his wake. The petals danced around his feet as he walked. They shone the same Cherry-Red tones of her hair.
The forest at night seemed to elucidate his life, seemed to give it purpose and inspiration. Perhaps there was a bigger picture to life, and he was beginning his journey to find it out. In the distance was the light that usually meant the end of the forest, and the beginning of the park.

The air began to thicken in his nostrils with every step he took and it brought with it a comprehension of reality as his senses flooded back to him. And there in the light at the end of the forest came the silhouettes of Joel Smith and Sophie Jones. Actually, what were they doing together this late at night? They seemed to be waiting for him, so he sped up a little before coming to a stop between them both and looking at the floor with a cheesy grin on his face. Sophie burst out into laughter.

“Seriously, what have you taken, Brooke?” Said Joel.
“I’ve not taken anything Joel; I’m just feeling in a good mood.” Brooke replied, “A pretty good mood.”
“What the hell have you been doing the past couple of hours then; in here by yourself?!”
“I wasn’t by myself …”
Sophie stopped laughing, her eyes widened.
“It’s a GIRL!” She shouted.
“No … c’mon-“
“Of course! That’s why you’re pulling that stupid expression, which does look stupid by the way, please stop it.”

Brooke was completely aware of how ridiculous he may have seemed, but having it pointed out to him only made him smile more and Sophie continued to laugh, however Joel did not.

“So that’s why you didn’t come to the cinema with us?” He said.
Brooke paused and brought his face up to look at Joel, in the dark he couldn’t make out his expression properly.
“I guess so. Look, you’re not mad or anything are you?”
“Hah, no I’m not I just missed you is all.”
“Oh, sorry.”
“No problemo, just don’t make it a habit, right?”

Brooke smiled and they began walking. Sophie’s house was the closest, being just around the corner.

“so,” said Sophie, “This girl, do we know her?”
“Sophie, there is no girl –“
“Oh come on as if you’re telling the truth here. I can tell by the look on your face you’re completely infatuated with her.”
“I’m not infatuated with her-“
“So there is a girl, hey?”
“Yes.”
“What’s her name?”
“Leave it,”
“That’s a funny name,”
“About as funny as you are …”
“Well aren’t you charming, I hope you don’t talk to her like that!” She then burst into laughter.
“You find a lot of fun out of annoying me don’t you?”
“Oh don’t be like that; I’m just having a bit of fun.”
“Holly.”

There was a pause before Sophie replied once more. “It’s a nice name.”
They were now approaching the driveway of her house.
“Thanks for today anyway, Brooke.”
This took him by surprise, he had no idea what he did.
“For helping Jess out with Jade Skewer, she really needed the boost.”
“Oh, no it’s fine; I did it for myself too. I’ve always hated her.”
Brooke caught Sophie smiling at him in the dark, before she turned to Joel and kissed him.
Wait, what? Since when?

“Goodbye, both of you, I love you!” She said, as she closed the door to her house.
Joel turned and started walking. Brooke, however, did not move an inch.
“What was that?!” Brooke said.
“What was what?”
“That?”
“What?”
“THAT!” Brooke said, pointing at the door Sophie just walked through.
“Oh, that!” Joel said, with a smirk on his face.
“Yes, that.” Brooke replied.
“Well we’re kinda seeing each other now I guess. You know, since you were out of school and all of that. I forgot you didn’t know about it.”
(“Whoa”) Brooke thought to himself.
“Whoa … I knew you liked her but I didn’t think-“
“She liked me back?”
“No, I didn’t think you had the guts.”
Joel broke eye contact at this point and looked at the ground.
“Listen, I know you and her had a thing once, but that was ages ago, and I thought it was all water under the bridge, you know?”
“No honestly I’m not bothered about that, I’m happy for you. You should have just told me though.”
They started walking towards Joel’s house, not too far from here.
“I know, I’m sorry.”
“It’s okay, I’m happy you’ve done it.”
Joel smiled again. “So who’s your new Girl then?” He said.
“New girl?” Brooke laughed. “I haven’t got a ‘New girl’,” He said.
“Well you know, the girl you seen today, Holly or something?”
“Holly Carminè,” said Brooke. It sounded so good to say her name.
“What’s she like?”
“She’s pretty amazing. She’s quirky, intelligent. She says the strangest things.”
Joel stopped for a moment before replying.
“You do know I meant how she looks – not her personality? Man she must be special if her looks don’t matter. I mean, I’m usually a looks kind of person, I’ve never bought that whole ‘Oh but she has a great personality’ thing. I dunno, I’ve just never understood it –“
“And she’s drop-dead fucking gorgeous.” Brooke added with a smile.
“Oh, right” Joel said.
“She has long deep-red hair, the most perfect, wide, beautiful eyes I have ever seen, the cutest button-nose, she’s so pretty-“
“Brooke, you sound gay. Seriously I’ve never heard you speak like this before.”
“Shut up Joel.”
They reached his door.
“I’ll see you tomorrow Brooke.”
“Yeah, see you tomorrow.”