I Breathe You In

I'm not an Angel

My name is Kemeul. Funny, since that’s a seraphim angel name and I’m far from being an angel. I arrive at Iluminacion. This urbanization is full of exotic and huge looking houses, the kind that wealthy people can afford. My destination is the far end house located at the top of a mountain in the center of this complex. When I get out of the cab I put my best smile and welcome the smiles of my soon to be family. What they don’t know is I’m here to kill they’re precious little gem Aurora.

It was long since I had seen Kemeul. The last time I saw him was in fifth grade. Now we’re both 19 and he looks different. He’s far from the little boy I remember the one that always used to hold my hand when I was scared, the one who was always with me in school, at my house, in a fight. He was my cousin but also the best friend I ever had. I went running towards him and gave him a hug. His body was stiff, it was like it took him a little bit of effort to detach his hands from his body and hug me.

“It has been long Aurora, how are you?” he finally said, his voice sounded like a soft streaming of water that sounded so safe and yet his shoulders didn’t leave the stillness in them.
“I’m alright Kemeul” I separated from him and looked at him up close. He was a whole foot larger than me. “You are so tall how come I stayed so small, that’s not fair” I said and couldn’t help noticing that he was studying me as well. It made me feel a little uncomfterable. The way that he was looking at me felt like a lion looking at the zebra before he pounced to attack her.

“Kemeul chico como estas? Pense que nunca ibas a llegar!” my mom was talking to him obviously not noticing that Kemeul probably didn’t understand a word she was saying.
“I’m fine Titi” he said at last and then mom understood that he had forgotten how to speak Spanish after he went to the United States and was therefore nine years.
“Huh! So you became a ‘gringo’ after all” my mom said and launched her hands in the air in defeat. “Well we'll have to teach you some Spanish words after all” she said and patted his back while she pushed him aside to enter her car. “I’ll be right back kids don’t wreck the house while I’m gone PLEASE” she said and entered the car giving us a last smile and a wave.
I waved at her back and then looked at Kemeul who was doing the same. While he was waving I looked at him closer his eyes have always been this light brown and his hair brown but he looked so big he even looked like a model. It was totally distracting. “It’s like you’ve never seen me before” Kemeul said looking at me.

“Well you do know that I haven’t seen you for over seven years or more” I said as a matter of factly. He turned and said “That or you find me unbearably attractive” he said with a smirk. I folded my arms and said, “You are so full of shit” and smacked him in the arm. He smiled and started walking towards the door. “Aren’t you going to take your things?!” I screamed he turned around almost reluctantly and said, “I know you’ll do it for me, right?” I almost smacked him but instead I lifted his backpack using the “Ridicare” spell and threw it at his head making him look at me menacingly.
“So, why did your mom leave?” I said looking at Alina. She is a small girl approximately 5 feet, since I was almost a feet taller. She was picking a mango from her fridge. “You want some?” she said not listening to what I said apparently. “I asked you a question and you are totally ignoring it,” I said as I lifted a knife and passed it to her. “Thanks” she said and was looking at the mango very focused on cutting it the way she wanted too. “Look at this” she said and lifted the mango with thin air. Using her hands as if she were weaving something in the air she cut the mango in thin, perfectly round shapes. What a show of. Then she abruptly looked up at me and said: “Well you must know already that I am bound to marry a guy soon, right?” she said lowering the flying slices of mango over a plate. “Yes I know, it is actually quite a big boom in rumors,” I said smiling at her knowing that this subject was one she must hate.

“Well my mom is going to The Comanda right know because the guy who is supposed to come didn’t show” she said and started to go to the living room with her dish of sliced mangos. I followed her wanting to know this information since is vital for my task at this place. “Well do you know who it is?” I said sitting beside her in the sofa. “No I don’t, I hear that he’s going to be a vampire, cool right” she said picking the remote and turning on the plasma TV. “But your mom is in The Comanda, isn’t she supposed to know” I said trying to get her attention back to me but she was lost looking at Family Guy, I think. I took the control of her hand and switched the TV off. She looked at me stunned by my action “Are you crazy or something I was watching Family Guy why did you turn it off?” she said with her mouth opened in shock. “I’m just trying to get your attention,” I said and she crossed her arms. Before I could talk she cut in “Why are you so interested in the guy I’m going to marry if it has nothing to do with you?” she said venom coming out from every word.

I waited until Kemeul said something. He’s constant questions were driving me insane. “I’m just interested since you are such a big gossip I thought I could get some juice out of you and sell it to some paparazzi” he said and his face was so serious my stomach turned. I immediately stood up from my seat without noticing that the plate of mangos was on my lap, which spread the fruit all over the carpet. “You are such an asshole, what the hell happened to you? You were never this way with me!” I said hysterically I don’t know what was going on but I don’t feel like this is the Kemeul I knew. He stood up and within a microsecond cleaned up the mess of the carpet. Who said vampires were the fastest beings? “Look who’s talking since when do you think vampires are cool?” he said he’s tone remaining calm unlike mine.

“Since I have no choice Kemeul!” I said and snapped my fingers appearing in my room. It was a cozy room nothing out of the ordinary except for my collection of witchcraft books, which I knew by heart. I know you may not understand why I have to marry a guy not wanting to; basically I kind of ask myself that question every day. The thing is that I am a witch, the only one remaining to be exact. You might be wondering if my mom is a witch, well she isn’t and she is actually not my mom. She took me in when I was 5 and showed signs that I was a witch. My parents, I don’t who they are and supposedly no one does; The Comanda didn’t want a witch to fall in the wrong hands so they took me, my mom took me. And to my disgrace that isn’t the only thing that is wrong with me apparently I am the: ‘Un puternic’, in other words the powerful one. I am the one who was meant to come to this earth and be the justice, the one to end the war and help the chosen species. The truth is I don’t know if I have the power to do such things to be the one who knows what’s right and what’s wrong.

While I was thinking about this I heard a blast and I saw Kemeul enter the room but that wasn’t the only thing that entered with him behind him there were numerous little flying creatures. Some were gray and some were red looking like rotten meat. He walked over to my bed and I could feel the stench and I could see that his eyes were dark like an abyss. Before I could do a spell to stop this he said “Get down!” and suddenly I couldn’t see what was going on and my room started to twirl as I fell into a dark pit.