Here We Go Again

x007.

A whole bloody week has gone by, and I've done a pretty good job of avoiding Nate.

Well, except in dance class, but besides that, we haven't spoken. Or looked at each other, really. But, that changed when the asshole woke me up in the middle of the night.

"Chris!" A voice hissed. "Wake up!"

"Wha?" I grumbled, sitting up. "Nate?" I squinted.

"Shhh." He looked over his shoulder at Shane, relieved to see him still sleeping. "Come on, I wanna show you something."

"But-"

"No buts."

"But I-"

"I said no buts." He pulled me out of bed, dragging me outside, quietly closing the door.

"My hair is a mess." I frowned. "And I'm not wearing any make-up."

"You look beautiful," he said, "now stop complaining, you'll wake the whole camp." I blushed furiously as his hand found mine. I expected him to let go, but was surprised when he didn't. He pulled me toward the end of the camp, turning into the forest.

"Where are we going?" He didn't answer, walking straight for a few seconds before stopping in front of a tree.

"I couldn't sleep, so I took a walk," he looked at me, "I found this." I looked at the tree, face lighting up in a smile.

NATE + CHRIS = BEST FRENDZ 4EVR was carved into the bark. I remembered coming here with Uncle Brown a long time ago and meeting Nate for the first time. We had bonded and I kept begging to come back and see him. Eventually, my parents let me stay in camp with uncle Brown for the summer, even though I was too young to be a camper. Nate was staying with him because his parents were out traveling or something. I couldn't remember exactly. On the last day of Summer, we carved that into the tree. I was pretty shocked that it was still here. The next year, I came back again, and we were complete opposites. We started fighting a lot. I still thought of him as my best friend, but he was the biggest brat I'd ever met.

"Wow." I said after a moment of staring. "I can't believe it."

"Right?" He said, smiling softly. "Brings back memories, doesn't it?"

"Yeah," I smiled, "of that one year we actually got along." He chuckled beside me.

"That's true."

"Then I found out you had cooties." I made a face at him. "And you still have them."

"Do not. You have cooties."

"Oh, please. Girls are way too cool to have cooties." I scoffed, bumping him with my hip. He released my hand, arm coiling around my waist. We stood beside each other, just staring at the tree, for a good ten minutes. "Nate?" I said suddenly.

"Hm?"

"Last week..." I trailed off, swallowing. "W-Were you really gonna...you know, kiss me?" I asked bravely. That annoying inner voice started mocking me again, but I ignored it.

"Yeah, I was." He said quietly. "But you pushed me away." He shrugged slightly. I felt his arm disappear as he stepped away from me.

"I'm sorry." I blurted out, looking into his eyes. The moon was full behind him, the stars shining brightly beside it. "I was scared."

"So was I." He watched me intently. "I just wanna know...what it'd be like. You and me."

"I've thought about it before." I turned back to the tree, blushing, avoiding his gaze.

"Really?"

"Mhm. I think..." I bit my lip, "I dunno if it'd work out. We're too different." I glanced at him. "We don't even know if there's that cliche spark between us." I faked a laugh. He didn't find it all that funny.

"We could find out." He said, stepping closer. I felt my eyes widen slightly and I backed up a step.

"Uh...w-we could, but, uh..."

"No buts." My back hit the damn tree then, and I found myself pinned between it and Nate. "I won't kiss you unless you want me to, Chris." He murmured, his breath hitting my cheeks, making me blush even worse. I didn't speak, unsure of what to say, and watched him. My body being pressed up against his...his lips being so close...it felt so right.

"Kiss me." I said before I could stop myself. Without hesitation, he pressed his lips against mine. My eyes stayed open at first, a shock flying through every inch of my body, before I closed my eyes and kissed back. His lips were soft and my knees felt like they'd give out any second. The hair on the back of my neck stood up and goosebumps rose on my arms as he calloused hand grasped my neck. He pulled back, chest rising and falling against mine.

"Feel anything?" He asked.

"No." I lied. I think he knew I was lying.

"How 'bout now?" He dipped his lips to mine once more. The same feelings came back.

By George, I think I'm in love with Nate Black.
♠ ♠ ♠
BOO-YAAAAAHHH!

they kissed.

TWICE.
that's TWO times; in one update.

;) whoo.