Status: Active

Say Your Prayers, You're Really Gonna Need Them.

From the pages to your head you give up,

★ ★ ★ - Indicates point of view change.

-

★★★

I was already 15 minutes late for my shift at the coffee shop but by the time I was inside I was happy to see we were overly busy, just what I needed to keep my mind off things.

After apologising profusely to Joelle and then to Hannah, the girl I would be serving with tonight I got my apron on and was already taking vast amounts of orders

As usual coffee thrillers was stacked full of Uni students and after almost two hours it was 8 and starting to die down a little, so much so that I was allowed a short cigarette break.

And standing out front and watching as the world passed by in a steep of cars and people either retiring for the evening or getting ready to adventure towards clubs and pubs and god knows what else.

I'm a bit of people watcher, but absolutely loathe it when people watch me, I have a problem called hyper-vigilance; so as much as I want to I try not to stare at anyone in particular so as not to draw attention to myself.

But something did catch me off guard, but I didn’t know exactly what it was, I was being seen but I couldn’t see who by, it freaked me out completely... to the point where I finished my cigarette so quickly I couldn’t actually enjoy it and rushed back inside.

“You’re in quick.” Joelle frowned upon my return, I smiled attentively,

“Yeah to make up for being late earlier.” I lied.

“You’re a good girl Ruse, always quick to right a wrong; which is why I'm glad you work for me.” she smiled warmly.

“Thanks Joelle, I'm glad I work for you too.” I laughed wholeheartedly before getting back to the tills just as a throng of tweenagers came in for their cool factor and choco mochas.

I was glad when my shift was coming to an end; I was tired and ached for a bath and maybe a bottle of wine.

Joelle asked me to start cleaning and straightening up the shop as the clients began to disband, whilst Hannah cleaned the coffee equipment.

As I was doing so I came across a discarded newspaper obviously unwanted by its previous owner, just as I was about to throw it away, its headline caught my eye;

Body Discovered In Woods

The body of an unidentified male has been found in the woodland area close

to Yarders Lake.

The body itself is suspected to be between the ages of mid

twenties to early thirties; Police are checking the missing persons

Database but it is assumed the body will have to be identified by dental

Records as their face has been seriously disfigured, whether or not

It is caused by the attack itself or a case of wild life is yet to be

Determined, as is the cause and time of death itself, although it is suspected

That the death was caused by a deep laceration of the throat.

The body was found by a woman walking her dog along the early hours of yesterday morning

Who immediately informed the police but has chosen to remain anonymous,

Police have released an official statement advising residents to stay out of the

Woods until further notice.


More of this story on page 5.

Did you see anything? Or suspect you know the victim?

Please contact Sergeant Eric Oakley or the crime stoppers

Helpline.

You can remain anonymous.


I put the paper down, my blood running cold.

I exhaled slowly, hands and body shaking before placing the newspaper on top of my bag hopefully to take home.

“You alright there Ruse? Look a little flushed.” Joelle asked, he young face frowning with worry.

“Yes, fine... thank you.” I replied breathily

“Seen the headline I take it, who would want to do that our quiet little town, it’s so sad that no one’s safe anymore you know?” she asked as she tidied and bustled about, restocking shelves.

“Defiantly, do you mind if I keep this? I best let my mother hear about it...” I lied.

She turned to look at me a little perplexed “Well of course you can, it isn’t mine anyway... you sure your ok sweetie you’re as pale as a sheet.”

“Yes, just a little shocked that’s all.” I replied quietly giving her a reassuring smile.
Joelle just nodded in understanding or agreement, I didn’t know which.

“If you would like I'm quite happy to drop you and Hannah home... best to be safe than sorry hmm?” she asked in a very maternal way.

“You know what that would be lovely.” I smiled, I really didn’t feel like walking; not now.

“Ok well you grab your things, just a couple more things to do. I’ll just let Hannah know we need to drop you off first.” she replied throwing me a glance.

I just nodded and smiled as I began to remove my apron and grab my bag from behind the counter, as Joelle disappeared outback.

I shoved the paper in my bag so as not to forget it and quickly straightened up the last of the chairs.

A few moments later Joelle reappeared Hannah in tow and after switching off the lights and locking up, made our way to Joelle’s car.

The drive home was short, Joelle didn’t need directions just a quick recap as she had dropped off my paycheque to me once before.

I was glad as this gave me a short while to think.

“Ruse...Ruse honey we’re here.” Joelle’s voice sounded through my train of thought.

I snapped up to look at her and look around, we were outside my house.

“Oh sorry I was miles away.” I said shaking my head apologetically.

Joelle nodded, “Listen let me know if you need anything; it can’t be nice being on your own at a time like this.

“Thank you, but I'm okay for now... but rest assure if I need you, I’ll call.” I smiled with my hand on the door.

Joelle nodded again, “Make sure you do, stay safe” she said and after I said goodbye to Hannah and Joelle one more time I walked up the drive way and let myself in to my lonely house.

Shutting and locking the front door I leaned my head back against it and shut my eyes before exhaling.

I never thought I’d say this, but I would have appreciated Harlan’s presence right now, blood or no blood, vampire or not... he made me feel safer.

But I didn’t even have his phone number... let alone know where he was.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments = updates!