Status: Active

Say Your Prayers, You're Really Gonna Need Them.

Secrets don't save the soul,

★ ★ ★ - Indicates point of view change.

-

“So what’s the bet?” Joe asked.

Joshua and I were now sat across from a small table facing each other, all of our friends sat around us in a small circle.

“If Ruse wins, she gets twenty quid from my own pocket, if I win... she comes home with me.” Joshua laughed, keeping his eyes on me the whole time.

“OH MY GOD, RUSE!” Ellen shouted as if to tell me I couldn't agree to such a wicked bet.

“Oh please Ellen, I'm going to win so there’s nothing to worry about.” I replied, looking at her.

She just giggled before Wayne set us another drink down on the table; I looked at it cautiously.

“So we’re mixing drinks now?” I asked mordantly, scowling a little.

“The snakebite was just a warm up for the show.” Joshua laughed; I bit my lip, getting a little worried that he was sobering up.

“Okay well let’s do the damn thing, the sooner it's over the sooner I can take my twenty quid and go back to having fun.” I said with a jokingly snide smile.

“Shut up and drink.” Joshua said, putting the Pernod and lemonade to his lips.

I shot him a look, before downing the contents of my glass in three quick chugs and letting out a small and secret burp afterwards, lemonade was far too gassy.

“I'm thinking shots.” Josh said, fixing me a look before brandishing a twenty pound note between his two fingers to Wayne.

“Duty calls.” Wayne said standing up, and retreating through the crowd.

“Why is it you get to pick all the drinks?” I asked, raising my eyebrow.

“‘Cause I’m paying.” Joshua smiled.

“Ah, touché.” I nodded with a roll of the eyes; it took a while for Wayne to get back, so I spent the time chatting to Shelby, who along with Margo, Ellen, Verity and Megan was cheering for me like an entourage.

When Wayne got back, complete with about 20 shots of sambucca I actually felt my stomach sink.

Upon seeing my face Wayne spoke, “They were ten shots for ten pounds, I couldn't resist.” He shrugged with a grin.

I bit my lip again, before looking over to Josh.

“Wait, was that a look of apprehension I saw on your face there Ruse?” Joshua grinned, patting my hand patronizingly.

“Uhm yes, because that’s enough alcohol to put out snow white and the seven dwarfs.” I scowled.

“Well in that case, call me dopey and bottoms up.” He said taking the first shot.

I took a deep breath. Since that Pernod I was starting to feel a little drunk, I’d be out after these shots, I was sure of it, but I couldn't lose... the consequences were far too high.

All eyes were on me now; I couldn't throw the towel in... I’d rather win and puke my guts up after.

I downed the first shot, followed by the second, third and fourth.

Both Joshua and I were equally on par and he didn’t look like he was about to quit.
Fifth... sixth... seventh, I was so close.

Closing my eyes momentarily I picked up the eighth, my stomach was churning a little bit by now.

Just as I was about to do the eighth I re-opened my eyes, and what I saw made them grow wide and my jaw to drop with shock.

Harlan walked past behind Joshua, he didn’t stop and wait but upon meeting my gaze he tilted his head upwards and gave me a slow and purposeful smile, it made my insides grow cold and cause goose bumps to dance all over my skin.

“HELLO RUSE?” Shelby shouted, waving her hand in front of my face, breaking the spell.

I turned to look at her, and everyone as staring at me now with the same worried expression, well I say all... all except Joshua who looked utterly ecstatic.

“She cracking, someone call me a cab... we’re going home!” he laughed.

I shook my head and when I looked over there were no longer any remnants of Harlan, there was just a crowd of bodies dancing and pushing through each other.

I met Joshua’s gaze, gave him the finger and downed the last three shots all in one.

“This is boring now.” I smiled and everyone cheered, before Wayne got up to go to the bar again.

“I need the bathroom.” I murmured before standing up, swaying a little I grabbed the table for support.

“No way, you’re just going to go puke.” Josh said, putting his elbows on the table.

“Well get someone to come with me if you don’t believe that I won't and they can check.”

“Oh I need the toilet.” Ellen said, hopping up to her feet and linking arms with me.

Once in the toilet I directly ran to a stall and did in fact puke, it burnt my insides as it came up but I felt directly better after, this way the alcohol had less time to affect me.

When I came out, Ellen handed me a cup of water.

“Our secret, I won't tell them you hurled if you don’t.” She smiled, with a wink.

“Thanks.” I smiled tiredly.

“Why did you agree to this?” she asked.

“Because I know I can win, Josh is already cracking and as far as I'm concerned secretly puking is all part of the game plan.”

Ellen laughed as I washed my hands and rinsed my mouth out, “I wouldn’t be surprised if Josh wanted to smell my breath.” I said, rolling my eyes.

“Here, sip this.” Ellen replied handing me her drink.

“You’re like a secret agent or something.” I giggled, causing a chain reaction and we were both stood next to the sinks, cracking up with laughter.

“Shaken, not stirred.” Ellen laughed pulling me out the door and back into the raucous club, the pulsation of the music, voices and bass mingling together and causing my stomach to flip.

As we walked back, I could feel the sensation of eyes drinking me in and so I kept a look out for Harlan, but attempts were proving futile, there was no way I could see anything in this place, the dark was too black and the light was too ephemeral, only caused by the blinding strobes.

I sat back down at the table and fixed Joshua a meant to be menacing look, he met it, but his eyes looked fuzzy and devoid.

“How’re you feeling?” I asked, leaning back in my chair.

“This is so funny, two of my friends are just getting so wasted... this reminds me of a western, only without cowboys.” Joe chuckled, causing Ellen to give him a little playful slap on the chest.

We all laughed, but I still felt a little uneasy.

“Well I’m okay, Ruse, what about you?” Joshua asked, as Wayne set down four glasses of what looked to be coke.

I picked a glass up and sniffed it, double Jack Daniels, my drink of choice the smell caused me to smile as I held the glass up in a mock toast.

“Getting better with every passing moment.” I snorted, taking a huge gulp.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, how was everyone's Christmas? Good i hope!

Well, i thought to myself, its my birthday in under an hour, so to pass the time i thought i'd give you all a present from me :D

Chapter 42! Enjoy and please,
Message and subscribe? x