Fallen Identity

Ch. 28

Why is the world so confusing? Why can't everything be plain and simple.. like water. That's probably not the best comparison but it's the only one I got at the moment.

I just realized that the saying 'Everyone must face their inner demons' is very literal for me and pretty much sums up my life right now.

The crisp night air wrapped itself around me as I shivered involuntarily. People were walking home from a long day of work. Nocturnal animals were just starting to appear in the shadows of the streets of Chicago.

It felt surreal, being back in the city that started all this crazy madness in my life. Zach held onto my hand as we made our way back to the safe haven. Word was, no one had found out about it so it was still just as we left it all those months ago.

I saw the restaurant where Jezebel had introduced herself to me. The first thoughts that pop into my mind are of when Jezebel kidnapped for her own childish games and entertainment. I still found it strange that she never actually hurt me but made me cook for all of her lower class demon minions. The suspicion of her being in an alliance with Dimoni and this was her way of toying with me until Dimoni got me for good.

We passed the antique shop where I only worked for a day. It had new items inside the front window. Maybe they were getting good business. I missed Ellie, the sweet cashier who was the first to discover my secret and showed me kindness I never knew of. Since the store was closed, all the lights were off and a silence hung over the small shop. Perhaps I'll come by in the morning to see if Ellie still works here. I hope she does.

"Almost there," Zach said. I nodded nervously in reply. Today, the truth would be out there and hopefully they all won't hate me.

"You ready?" he asked me, squeezing my hand in reassurance.

"Not really, but I have to get this over with," I said, confident in my words.
I saw the familiar alleyway where the door to the safezone was located and my heart started to beat faster. Zach punched in the code naturally. I guess angels had excellent memory.

The door made that annoyingly familiar click sound before opening. This is it, I thought before heading down after Zach. Amazingly and comfortingly, Zach was still holding onto my hand, making sure that I knew I wasn't alone in this and that not everyone would hate me.

The main room was quiet and dark when we entered, which was odd because there was always someone up, no matter the time. Zach flicked on the light and the room instantly brightened, causing me to blink rapidly for a couple seconds before my eyes adjusted.

A flyaway hair got caught in my right eye which caused me to rub it on instinct. When I closed my right eye, my 'good' eye, my left eye remained open and my vision had changed.

I could see things I wouldn't normally be able to see. Everything was red and I could see Zach more clearly because I could see his temperature like those infra-red goggles, or like a predator searching for it's prey. When I opened my right eye, everything went back to normal. I was about to experiment with my good eye until Zach spoke up.

"You okay?" Zach gave me a worried look.

"Yeah, just nervous," I replied, honestly. I knew how to lie without really lieing. You just say something that's true and then they won't really question you further on the matter.

"Right," he nodded his head in understandment. "I wonder where everyone is."
We both looked around the room, searching for any sign that one of the guys was nearby when a random piece of paper caught my eye. It was stuck to the fridge. I slowly walked over to it and snatched it from the door. The note read:

Sorry we aren't there
Out hunting demons
Be back ASAP

"Well apparently, they're demon-hunting without us," I muttered. I was sort of annoyed that they couldn't wait for us. I could show off my awesome fighting moves as an icebreaker before the moment of truth.

"I guess we wait. You remember which room yours is?" Zach asks me. He looks sort of worried and afraid. Like something is really wrong and he's not telling me what it is. I didn't want to bug him about it since I trust him and maybe he's not telling me for a good reason.

"Yeah," I say before heading off through the many different hallways until I located my room which was previously owned by my mother, Iofiel.

I set my small backpack down next to my bed which looked exactly the same as I left it, neatly folded military style. I gaze around the entire room before my eyes locked on the dress drawer that held my mother's diary. I knew I had already read all of the entries in the journal, but for some reason unknown, I felt compelled to pull it out and drag the tips of my fingers along the smooth and elegant handwriting and the symbol that marked the bottom of each page.

I soon found myself sitting on my bed, diary in hand, staring down at the cover. I flipped through the entries until I was at the blank pages and then looked at each empty page more slowly, looking for some kind of sign or something that showed me that my mother hadn't died.

I was about halfway through the journal when a blank page caught my eye since it was the only page without my mother's symbol at the bottom corner of it. Strange, I thought as I stared at the empty space.

I itched my right eye, leaving my bad eye open for the second time that evening. The infra-red vision came back and I saw strange letters written on the blank page that I couldn't see with my normal vision. They seemed to shine off the page like they were important and looked like they were from some Asian language, like Arabic or something.

Seeing these letters with my bad eye got me thinking that maybe this was some Demon language. As soon as I thought this, my good eye starting itching again and then began to sting. I made that noise where you clench your teeth and suck in air when you're in pain. I think everyone's made that sound before. At least once in their lives.

I set the diary down on the bed and got up to see if washing my eye out with water would help the pain numb up a bit enough to let my open my eye again. The infra-red vision was creeping me out.

I flipped on the faucet and grabbed some water in my hands and splash my eye. I had to do that repeatedly for about five more times before my eye stopped stinging. When I was able to open my eye again, I saw in the mirror that my eye had changed. On the right side of my pupil, above the golden color, was a little splotch of red.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry again =P